How long until hamstring strain goes away

See previous thread https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/348445/sciatica-what-is-it-and-is-it-ok-to-run#latest

Not sciatica etc. Now I've not run for >3 weeks, stopped going to the gym as I didn't feel it was helping my legs and just doing stretches from physio, plus weekly deep tissue massage.

Aches and pains in hamstrings still there after all this time, even when walking. How long should I expect to wait until I can get going again? I should stress that I'm not in as much pain - now at the stage where there is still a tightness, so am making progress. If I jog across the road for example; just when the lights change, so nothing you wouldn't do normally; I am still aware of the tightness. I am now tail walking at parkrun, but did jog home [<1M] this weekend, only to find that the tightness is still there so I walked again.

How do I know when it's OK and when I'm just being a woos?!

Comments

• jobeejobee ✭✭
    Have you had it seen to by a physio?
    Time taken to heal will depend on the grade grade 1 weeks grade 3 alot longer .
    Did it bruise when you did it?
    Ive had this and it took longer than it should have as I was doing the proper exercises in the right order so it developed into a high hamstring tendinopathy.
    Id recommend seeing a professional as soon as you can.
  • jobeejobee ✭✭
    Just to clarify I wasn't doing the proper exercises in the correct order
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    I'm doing so many exercises and over the years [now] seen a running physio; osteopath; had an MRI on my spine; now having regular massages and doing the physio/stretches as often as I can.

I just don't know what to do next, apart from go back to running through the pain for ever.

I don't 'grade' it and it didn't bruise - it never has. I can't actually put my finger on any incident  that 'caused' it. It just seems to have developed over time until a point where I felt I just had to do something. It just won't go away and no-one seems to be able to get to the bottom of it.

Today walking into work - only a mile - the 'catch' in my hip is still there and occasionally I have to think about moving my leg forwards carefully. I'm only walking to works FFS. I am so angry and cry a lot in private. I have stopped training with my club as I can no longer keep up; I don't join my social midweek runs any more as I just feel so depressed about it. I have been tail-walking at my local parkrun and am so envious of those of all shapes sizes and styles who are still doing it. I am also marshalling at running events when I can.

I've been a runner since I was 18 and am now 55 - I miss running so much. I'm sorry to be a moaner :'( but it's making me feel quite lonely and like I'm now heading for a slow painful retirement - and it's just a pulled muscle, surely? What on earth do I do! I blame menopause and taking a desk job, as this all seems to have escalated over the last 3 or 4 years but what can I do.

I can't talk to anyone about this as my husband is a complete non-exercise and just tells me to get my 'endorphin fix elsewhere' [nudge nudge, bleurgh]. He is completely unsympathetic. Most of my non-running friends don't get it either and now I am losing touch with my running friends, with whom I was never close, but at least I could train 2x a week with them. They are so lovely when I see them at parkrun. I just can't be sociable any more.
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    22m20s - 29m of RunnersConnect podcast is quite pertinent! I stumbled across this.

Injury = an opportunity to rest your body so you can run better later.

[just - when?!]

https://runnersconnect.net/running-interviews/dr-stan/