OT question for V-rap

Apologies for using this forum to ask you a work related question, but my GP is not too hot on some things!
Number two son was born with pin-prick spots and bruising, later confirmed as Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia. He was fine within a week, and my only concern now is myself - I was given a card to 'carry around with you at all times' stating that I've got HPA-1A antibodies, so have to be careful in case of blood transfusion. I'd like to know how serious this is (in case of being squashed by a bus when I'm out running!), as everything I've read on the good old internet is too technical and frankly scares the pants off me!!
Thanks, Andrea.

Comments

• Hi Andrea

I'd be surprised if many GPs are hot on this topic - platelet antibodies are real hen's teeth territory.

I don't think you need to worry overmuch. Every unit of blood that is transfused is cross-matched with the blood of the person receiving it to make sure that it is compatible, and if antibodies are present it shows up by the blood cells clumping together at that stage. Carrying your card means that the lab staff should be warned to screen the donor blood for HPA-1A.

If, despite these precautions, you are given blood with HPA-1A in it, your antibodies will destroy those platelets and you will have an allergic reaction to the resulting platelet/antibody combination. The hospital staff will stop the blood drip and treat the allergy symptoms.

It may be of relevance if you have more children in future and they inherit the HPA-1A antigen from their father, as your son presumably did.

I shall dig out some hefty volumes and e-mail you with any useful information. The most important thing to remember is that most people go through life without needing a blood transfusion.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Cheers I feel much happier now - and will try to avoid being squashed by a bus as much as possible!
    Thanks a lot
    Andrea