Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    Yeah it's loud, TR - it'd be great to use before my runs but since I tend to go out before 6 I don't think my neighbours would be too pleased (I'm in a flat).
    Great long runs there.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    A decent few days Cal: big miles & a speedy 5K too.
    Monster mileage weekend there TR
    Did my first 20M in a long time today in 2:31:22 though I stopped a couple of times to ingest some Haribo & a passing cyclist rescued my run with 5K to go by sharing his drink. Nice progressive run along the canal so flat but not always the best surface & some dodging of bikes & ducking under low bridges. Picked the pace up every 5M. Started with 5M in 40:50 & finished with 5M in 35:40.
    My legs are definitely feeling it after 78M in 6 days & a fair bit speedier than usual too. Recovery 8M tomorrow.

• Options
    TR - to be honest, I do nutrition in a run solely based on current blood sugar level. I could probably try a complicated method of insulin and gels etc, but the risks are higher than it’s worth. Think you’re right in the completely fasted ones slowing recovery though. Hell of a weekend from you. Should enter an ultra. 
    That was a huge long run, Macca. Although I suppose something you are well used to. Really hope Spartathlon remains a goer. 
    Jools you’ve leapt back into it nicely. Cracking 5k. Reminiscent of early lock down running. Hope it’s not a sign of things to come!
    That a great progress in the 5k, Cal. Sounds like your friend was really helpful. Thank you for the Strava advice as well. 

Having not done much in the way of quality this week, I wanted to combine a long run and a session. So the plan was 2h30 total, with 24, 18, 12, 6, 3 mins (3 min jogs), from MP to 5k effort. 
    Up at 5 and out in five or six minutes. Jogged 3.5M to the park, deciding on flat tarmac loops of the lake - might as well get ready for Dorney. However, on starting from home, the outside (or even internal) of my left lower leg was sore. If I’m honest, it’s been a little sore for a couple of weeks, but thought nothing to worry about. 
    The session itself was good, although the Apple Watch GPS and trees absolutely robbed me. Had me at something like 8:35 average for hard running. Suitable effort definitely there. I like the descending style session - after the first two, you feel like you are nearly there and can let rip. A really fun session. 
    Then met two mates for an extended yet easy effort run home. My left calf started tightening and I felt very tired. Extremely rare that I would take the option of stopping on a run if a taxi was offered, but this was one. 
    After 2h15 and about half a mile from home, I had to stop. Once stationary, there was zero chance of running again so enjoyed a walk of shame home. 
    Very sore since, although the calf muscle itself has chilled out a bit. Limping lots and struggled to push the buggy 😱. Have done the nhs physio referral, but who knows when that will be. Will fork out for a private session tomorrow - first one in years. I hate spending money like this. But if it’s going to affect my ability to pick up the baby, then I need to get a diagnosis. 
    Genuinely useful advice on Strava suggests peroneal Tendinopathy/ fibularis. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Ouch SQ. Fingers crossed the physio sorts you out ASAP. Descender sessions & pyramid 2nd halves are both great. I always feel more relaxed on the return leg of an out & back too.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Cal - ill stick to a hot water bottle then.

Jools - good preogression bodes well first time out.

SQ - defo agree that you need to be careful re fuelling, stick with what you do, it works. I was just saying what i do.  Hope the physio sorts you out. Races on the horizon tend to make the niggles more of a worry. Defo the right thing to seek advice.

Im off work this week so wanted to move my usual monday 15m fwd to free tomorrow up, felt ok so did 18m to make it a 40m 2 days. At 15m i was declaring it a breeze and that i could go 20m no trouble, there was a long downhill (over 0.5m) at 16ish and after that my quads were ruined.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Macca: fantastic long run. Great training for Sparta

TR: nice extended LR

SQ: that sounds painful. Hope the physio manages to sort things out

Jools: good job on the LR and nice of the cyclist to pull you along! 78 mile week is big mileage too 

Cal: well done on the 5km

Down Royal Half on Saturday - well organised race and felt great to be back racing again. I knew a couple of miles in that I wasn’t getting close to PB pace (1:27) but I thought sun 1:30 should be possible. But soon found out I couldn’t  hold that pace either for long! There was a strong breeze down the back straight and I was working too hard to keep it up so just tucked in after a couple of laps and ran more steady. I didn’t want to blow up and waste the run by jogging it home. Finished in 1:33:xx - I definitely felt below par. Legs were heavy and couldn’t get going. And weird that my last 2 fast runs 7miLT/12miMP were at 6:45/mi and 7:05/mi pace over the past few weeks. Couldn’t even hold that MP pace for the 13 miles. 

Was great to see Hamo and his family before and after who had a super race!

Sunday I headed for the Glens Of Antrim and ran 17mi summiting a mountain called Slieveanorra twice on an out and back. Felt much better running on Sunday morning
    I think partly the week of 80mi the week before might have meant my legs were a bit overcooked for the half. 

But anyway it was a good weekends training if nothing else!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - sounds more like another mp run then esp given the long eun the day after. You've been piling in the training which makes it hard to race a strong 1/2, you're also trying to do that whilst on holiday.

7m easy peasy pace today, tired quads today.
  • Options
    Macca...35 miles in 6 hours will certainly be a benefit. Fingers crossed Spartathlon will go ahead for you.

Steve...Yea, good idea, and i reckon you'll be hitting 6.50's no bother in the next block.

Cal...I've been looking at a theragun for while now, my mate has one and swears by it. Nice of your clubmate to help you out like that, and run a speedy 5k with you too. You backed that up nicely with a scenic long run on tired legs too, which is good training, well done.

Jools...Lovely neg split runs, esp the long run, that is a cracking 20 miler, they are all good training. Good work on the fast (not) parkrun too, you are in very good nick for IoW.

TR...No wonder you where strong at Abo last year, that was some build up into it. Thats a few big days you've put in there, no wonder you felt a bit sluggish, class running. Good recovery running today, sensible.

SQ...Excellent long run session, sounds like hard work but one that will keep you interested and not overwhelm you. Sorry to hear about that calf though, hopefully the physio can work their magic and fix it quickly for you and its nothing serious. 

AWC...Was lovely to meet you in person at the weekend, and really well done again. That wind on the back straight has a lot to answer for with the pace "struggles" i reckon. The more people i have spoke to who raced on Saturday (from 5k right up) have said the headwind really knocked them off their stride and felt like they had lost time because of it. So i wouldn't be too disheartened or read too much into it, it was a class run from you. Sunday looked like a lovely long run going by the pics on strava.

Saturday was my first "road" race since January, a half marathon around the ambulance track on the inside of Down Royal horse racing course (7x 1.75 mile, plus a bit laps). Met up with AWC for a 2 mile warm up before the race which was lovely, before a quick jog to a very low key start line. It was a very well organised day (with a 5k before, and a 10k after our race) and all very "Covid secure", or as much as it could be while still treating us like adults. I was hoping to run 5.25 min miles, and set off with a first mile of 5.26, so all going well until we turned the corner onto the back straight and the headwind hit me up the face, my 2nd mile falling to 5.34. So i knew early on it would be a case of head down and work hard with alternating faster, slower miles due to the wind,rather than a perfect race. I was running with a fella for the first couple of miles but he dropped back as we were running down the back straight on the first lap and i never saw him again, so i was on my own for the vast majority of the race, and although i was lapping/passing people it made it mentally harder running into the wind on my own. With 2 laps left i overheard the announcer say that i had a good lead over 2nd place, so subconsciously i took the foot off the gas a bit, as i knew my goal time was long gone, and just concentrated on not dropping any time and giving 2nd any encouragement. In the end i finished 1st in 1.13.06, exactly 2 mins ahead of 2nd place, so while it wasn't the time i was after i was delighted with the win (my first for North Belfast Harriers) and it was class to be back "road" racing, a good day all round.

Im back again at Down Royal in 2 weeks for a 10k, so hopefully the wind behaves a little better then and i can put a good marker down for Wrexham.

An 8 mile "Sunday Long run" :lol: brought me to 89 miles for the week,

Double 6 recoveries today.
  • Options
    Hamo - Superb win and time.
    AWC - Good training effect even if not the pace you wanted. You have run big weeks recently.
    TR - Yes, got Manchester in 2021 deferred from this year.
    SQ - Nice long run session.
    Jools - Nice parkrun sub 20 and long run. Good pace at MAF HR.

8 miles on Friday (instead of Sunday) and 16 miles on Saturday for a 52 mile week over 5 consecutive days.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the win Hamo, top bombing. I bet your new club are pleased with their recruitment now.

Steve - nice, i look fwd to seeing how you go.
  • Options
    Top 5k Cal and to knock out 18m on dead legs is a good sign.

TR - great back to back long runs, fuelled with beer too.  I over estimated my beer consumption a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was working with an over-sized glass and was filling it to the mark. Turns out the mark was just a pattern about 3/4 of a pint. Glad I got that off my chest.

That’s a great progressive LR Jools, I guess the lack of summer festivals has left you in good shape 😀

SQ - sorry to hear of the injury.  Hopefully you can get some physio and recover quickly.

AWC - that was a great long run Sunday. Sorry the half didn’t produce what the training was pointing towards.  Holidays (eating/drinking/relaxing) and peak performance don’t combine well for me, chuck in a bit of wind too....

Hamo - fantastic result.  Sounds like a solo effort in less than ideal conditions, a day where position is a better measure than time perhaps.

Steve - hopefully I’ll be Manchester in 2021 too, this is the first year in a while without a marathon,

I had a local 10k race yesterday.  If I’m honest the pre race nerves were definitely higher than a 10k warranted.  In the event it was really well done (same guys that are doing Dorney).  Entrants were spilt sub 50mins at 9am and 50+ at 10.15.  Within a cricket field, racers were then further split into maybe 5 or 6 large coloured pens by estimated time.  Each pen was led to the starting line in groups of 10 by race number and a F1 style grid system was employed with maybe 10s gaps between each start.  So basically no jockeying for position or mismatched speeds.  In some respects, better than a standard start.  Anyways, I was 3rd on the grid and didn’t want to run in someone’s shedding slipstream so overtook 2 guys with the previous start about 10s up ahead,  I reeled in maybe 4 or 5 of the previous group, each time on reaching someone, thinking I must get ahead when normally I might have been happy to tuck in.  Two lads passed me towards the end but otherwise it felt a well paced race.  Coming into the finish field a PB was touch and go but just short of the line my watch said it had gone so I eased up, maybe I had nothing else to give anyway.  As it turned out official time equalled my PB of 36:52, I must have started my watch early on the new style start 🤣.  A jog home rounded the day up to 20m.  Although different to “normal” it felt sensible and still retained an element of racing. A good day all round.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for the reports chaps.
    A solid enough HM time but definitely slower than I expected AWC. It's only a few weeks ago you were running an LT session at that pace though so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a shock. Add in the headwind & a big week it's no wonder you weren't able to give a true account of yourself. I think Sunday's run shows where your strengths lie at the moment: strength & endurance. Sounds like you've had a good holiday & at least you've managed a race post CoViD.
    Cracking (almost) solo race Hamo. As you said: no point in burying yourself once the target time was gone & the win was safe. 2 minutes is some lead. Glad to see you having a couple of easy days to allow the body to recover.
    That's an outstanding result Macca. Especially given you'd done a fair few miles already in the week including double MLRs on Friday!!
    Legs & body were happy I stuck to an 8M recovery as planned today.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Jools - Big week and you did well to get through that LR. I like a few haribo myself and I once had to stop at a maccas to get water on a particularly hot day. 

Hamo - congrats on the win, as others have said that's a huge margin of victory. Hope you were able to enjoy finish with the pressure off.

AWC - well done on toughing it out, still a good session to bank and get race sharp. Last week was a big one so you're probably right that it left you with tired legs.

SQ - fingers crossed for your treatment and a swift recovery. We've all been there with niggles that we run through and sometimes it just disappears, other times it becomes a bigger issue. Hopefully you've managed to catch it in time.

Macca - sounds like you're in great shape and it was a well organised run. I imagine that could be the future for races and seems to work nicely for fast times. That 1 second though!

TR - impressive string of LRs last year, are you planning a similar run in for Goodwood?

Steve - great consistency, Manchester is a long way off though, are you tempted to find something sooner to test your fitness?

Cal - good to see you're back to decent length running so quickly. I've heard amazing things about the Theraguns but I guess the sounds would definitely concern your neighbours if they aren't runners!

Decent week for me, with a couple of sessions although both were a bit slower than I expected. 6x800m was on a grass oval and came out around 3:00 average, and then 4x3km at marathon effort but got carried away when the times were slowing, ended up a bit quicker than sub 3 pace. Another glorious LR though exploring more of the beaches and felt great just seeing new places. Ended up with an easy 24 miles, with this being my favourite pic: 

• Options
    AWC, it does sound as though you threw rather a lot at your legs. But nice to get a race done, regardless, and nice work on the mountain 17.

Hamo, contrats on the win - amazing stuff!

Good work TR. Jools and Steve.

Macca - guess that was St Albans? Well done in the equal PB - did that myself at Farnborough half in January (also the same race organisers, as it turns out). Be interesting to see how it works at Dorney.

John - yeah, I just hope they don't think I'm having fun with a vibrator. I do groan a bit sometimes. :D

Rest day yesterday, which I needed - just had a little walk. All the sitting around made for a slow run today, though, as I think my hips were tight. Forced myself out into the rain for a recovery run with strides (7.3 miles total) - it was one of those were legs didn't feel too bad and I didn't think I was going that slowly but I was only doing around 11/min mi pace. Rainy and breezy (we're getting stronger winds later today) but mild enough still for vest and shorts. I find weather often looks and sounds worse when you're indoors and isn't so awful when you get yourself out there.
    Pace picked up a little on the penultimate mile (regular easy pace) so injected some strides into the final mile and enjoyed doing them.
    Physio later - foot's fine but could do with Toby's magic elbow anyway. I'll ask him what he thinks about my hand, too - it still hurts quite a bit (not all the time, but the bone is sore).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - even if that glass was 3/4 you still put in a top beer shift, you're still an honoury swiller. Top bombing on that 10k, sounds like a well managed event, i guess that is the way ahead for a while. Youd have pb'd too without the double mlr before hand, which jools referenced (i guess you are all on strava ?).

John - you are sounding fit, a goid mix of sessions. That beach looks fab. No chance of me recreating that Abo build up, as Goodwood is in 4 weeks. I regret looking bavk now, but it is what it is, ive done the 20%/10% stuff and dome lomg mp runs, which will hopefilly replace the 1/2 maras. I back myself to go sub3 given no bad luck or bad weather.

Well done today Cal, it was wild out.

10 wet, windy and hilly miles.

Got my eye on another mp 1/2 mara, the 20 x 3mins and a couple of  long runs. The easier weeks have eased my stomach/groin issue, but i need to pick my battles. Might try to get on the flat (rather than undulations) for 1/2 mara sometime, but want to do a strong and long run this weekend.
  • Options
    John - Good running and mix of sessions and stunning photos. I probably won't race until either after the wedding (October) or next year. I'm in no rush really. I don't feel race ready, but am hitting decent paces in my intervals, so must be holding some fitness.
    Macca - Superb race, so close to a PB though, but I guess that can wait until next time.
    Cal - Well done for getting out!
    TR - Nice miles.

10 miles today with 6*800m reps were 2:59/3:06/2:57/3:02/3:03/2:58. Windy and absolutely soaked through by the time I got home.
  • Options
    Nice one Steve.

Pretty slow run today - gusty winds were a bit unnerving and made me very cautious on the downs (more so after stacking it two weeks on the trot - I really can't afford to do it again as I'm still hurting from the last one). Tried to power up the hills although not sprinting - this was supposed to be a more leisurely affair but I got a couple of Strava segment PBs.
    The best bit was finding a new hill, Hill Path, and it's a real bastard. More like Psycho Path. It's long and windy so just when you think you're near the top, it goes around a bend and there's more. This happens about three times. Steep in the middle, too (up to 15%) I hated it so much the first time I went round and did it again.
    Wasn't going to go onto Streatham Common but spotted a funfair my mate would like, so went to check out which rides were there for him.
    Took a couple of wrong turns, too, but that's part of the fun of exploring the back streets.
    Also made a foray up a little road behind Tooting Common called Steep Hill, purely so I could name the segment "No it's not." (It's really just a slope - 5% max).
    11 miles total.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Steve - good stuff yday, tough in that weather.

Well done Cal, no mentuon of niggles, are things improving still?

13m inc the big daddy 20 x 3mins (30 sec jog), tailed off a bit in 2nd 10nas the wind abused me more and more. Mile jog home after was horrible. Ticked off, onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    TR, I remember my last LTR - the cool-down mile was just awful, I wanted to stop there and then! But well done.
    Niggles are all there but a bit quieter today (probably down to Toby's magic elbow yesterday).
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Stunning scenery John & some good training too.
    Nice reps in the MLR Steve. Is that your wedding then?
    Good running Cal.
    That's a big session TR.
    13M for me today too 3M wu, 3x2M off 1M, 2M cd Paces were very varied due to terrain & undulations but effort was definitely there. 12:52/13:11/13:14 for the 3 efforts. 7:50 average & almost 1100 ft of climb too so a good session.
  • Options
    Cal - Nice hilly run there.
    TR - Big session, must give you a lot of confidence as that's a big amount of work.
    Jools - Top effort as always. Yeah my wedding. We are still going ahead (holding a date for next year just in case), but with reduced numbers.

10 miles today with 3 at MP/tempo, those came out to 6:36/39/34.
  • Options
    Macca...Brilliant result and running in the 10k, well done, you should have dived for the line to shave that second off though :lol: ,(Speaking of diving to the line, everyone should have a watch at the Irish National Champs mens 1500m final from the weekend, with the sound on if you haven't already seen it, awesome race... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kf6hyHaks4 ). Sounds like a well organised event too. Have you any more races on the horizon? Spartathlon aside.

Jools...Nice sensible recovery 8, followed by class 2 mile reps. Sounds a good, tough session with that amount of climbing mixed with the efforts.

John...Good 800's and 3k reps, that is 2 quality sessions in a week. Lovely long run too, that picture looks beautiful, must be a real joy to run there.

Cal...Nice strides. Well done on the hilly strava pbs too, good work. Hate hills that trick your mind, with a sneaky bend in the middle which makes you think your done only to get round it and discover how wrong you where :flushed:  :lol: .

Steve...The wedding is coming round fast now, exciting times. Lovely 800's and MP miles, you are in good nick.

TR...I'd say most on here are on strava, I am anyway,and follow quite a few. The amount of, and quality of all your 20/10 Long and mid long runs will more than make up for a 1/2 or two, and you are right, i'd back/I'm backing you 100% to smash sub 3 with the training you have put in. Excellent 3 min intervals, 20 is a lot too, so no wonder you were feeling it towards the end in less than ideal conditions. I hate the cool down jog home after a session, but i think if its that much of a struggle, then you've done the session right and worked hard,so good signs.

My biggest two started back to school Tuesday and Wednesday, so i had a few days off work  and got a bit of a lie in before my runs. Tuesday was 10 miles with 8x100 in the middle of storm Francis, so that wasn't overly pleasant. Quick disclaimer that all my strides where wind assisted, no way i could stride into 50/60 MPH headwinds :lol: Wednesday i ran a 15 mile MLR, which was going grand until i turned onto the tow path to head home, and was faced with a 2 mile stretch of flooding as the river had burst its banks cause of Francis (never even considered it before i left the house...stupid :lol:), with the water reaching half way up my shin in the worst parts. I couldn't turn round and run another way as i would have been late home to get the kids to school, so nothing else for it, i took after Joe, and started triathlon training. :lol: 

Back to work, and 6 and 5 recoveries for me today. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - the elbow did you good then. Never ceases to underline to me how much rehab works when i actually set about doing some with some intent. My niggles were become tedious and ruining my running a bit recently, so i committed to regular stretchimg, rolling, hot water bottle and surprise surprise its starting to improve my groin/stomach issue a bit.

Jools - good going, that is a mara specific sessuon gor sure.

Steve - well done on the mp. Yes good to tick off the 20 reps and remind myself i must be in ok shape, its a goid sign of readiness.

Hamo - good for your nippers to be back at school, as much as parents have got to see more of their nippers, they need their friends and education. Are you back at work (based at work too ?). Good one on the wading section of the mlr.

6m easy today, letting yday soak in.
  • Options

Good effort, AWC. I think everyone will need a ‘rust buster’ with their first race back. And that wind can’t have been easy. 
    Cracking racing, hamo. Does that make you the NI half marathon champ? Definitely the right call doing strides with the wind behind you. They’re there to help not hinder. Great attitude with the flooded run - crack on!
    Good consecutive days’ mileage, Steve. 
    To get a PB (equal) is fantastic, Macca. And also thought going to round a 10k up to 20. Can’t say you surprise me though 😆. 
    You’re building nicely, and with more amazing views, John. Are races getting more or less likely in NSW at the moment? Does it act independently of Vic in this regard? I have to try hard to remember the distances aren’t exactly like counties here!
    You’ve done well to find another brutal hill, Cal. You should create a London hill running app. 
    I like the sound of that session, Jools. And some very tasty paces for that distance. 

Couldn’t walk at all on Sunday once home, a slow hobble on Monday, before getting to a physio on Tuesday morning. She said that when I described the build up to the problem, it sounded like a classic stress fracture (cue me somewhat panicking). But once doing some tests, it seemed this was very unlikely. Phew. 
    I had a problem in one of the facet joints on my spine around Christmas time. And despite this not currently hurting, it seems this is referring the pain to the joint of the tib/fib in the lower leg. And then the calf overcompensated. 
    She said that the walking would ease off - which it is beginning to. And if I can jog when I go next week she will analyse my gait. In my head, I run like Bekele, but perhaps that’s not quite the case. This, combined with massaging out the back tightness should help 🤞. 
    Weirdly, haven’t missed running this week as much as I thought I would, but starting to get a little itchy as we head towards the end of the week.
    Probably not a bad thing to give the body a bit of a break, so haven’t bothered getting on the turbo yet. Although will if this continues. Sure it can’t be that hard to get to Joe and Reg levels of power?!
    Unsure if Dorney will be on, but certainly not the year to stress about these things. Won’t do it unless I can get at least a 20 and a 23ish in. But perfectly happy doing it without a taper. 
  • Options
    SQ, glad to hear it's unlikely to be a stress fracture. Hopefully some rest and rehab will set you straight. I always imagine I run a lot better than I do - in truth a shuffle along like an OAP, barely lifting my legs.
    What makes you think Dorney won't happen?

Took a rest yesterday - didn't feel too enthused about running when I got up so I took that as a sign.
    Today was OK (if rather drizzly). I did 3.5 miles to warm-up then did a 4 mile LT pace run around my favourite road triangle, then another 1.5 miles to cool-down ( had a couple of short breathers between the WU, tempo and CD rather than do it as a continuous run.
    I was fairly happy with the LT - I usually shoot for around 8:30ish but wasn't sure what sort of shape I was in, but I managed 8:35/8:31/8:22/8:18. Felt I could have done another mile too but the balls of my feet were getting battered, which seems to happen more when I'm running faster (I guess I'm more on the balls of my feet at pace). Cadence was a solid 190.
  • Options
    TR...Glad your proactive rehab seems to be working for you. Yea, we are lucky in that they love school so home schooling wasn't as awful or as much of a fight as it could have been with kids who hated it, but they really missed school and their friends at the same time, so they are delighted to be back. And i'm delighted they are back too, kids need school for more than just their education. Yes i am back in the office, there is only me and one other lady in the office (boss woman :lol:), everyone else works out in the yard, so it is easy to socially distance. I worked from home March to May and enjoyed it ok (more the extra time i got with the wife and kids), but was glad to get back to sense of normality and normal working hours/routine that going to work brings. Apologies for the long ramble :flushed: :lol: Nice easy running, you are right it will allow Wednesdays hard session to soak in. How many weeks is it to Goodwood?

SQ...No, not quite unfortunately, it wasn't a championship race, just a race series organised by a timing company "ChampionChip Ireland" hence the confusing name. Must check Po10 though as there have been very few halfs ran in Northern Ireland this year, so i could have sneaked up the rankings alright :lol: Good news its not a stress fracture, i'm sure that scared the life out of you alright. Very good attitude you have regarding Dorney, stressing etc, this year especially you just have to take it all as it comes and not worry too much as there is very little you can control at the minute. Hopefully the physio and massage will loosen it all up and you can get back running quickly. You'll have lost nothing having a down week anyway, no need to panic on that.

Cal...Well done listening to your body and taking a rest day, something we could all learn from probably. Excellent LT session, the fact you got quicker over it, and felt like you had more in you at the end is a very positive sign, class work.

I had my last LT session of the plan this morning, a repeat of the 7@LT pace within a 12 miler. I wanted to do it on the tow path again to compare to the same session 2 weeks ago, but it is still under water (as it hasn't stopped raining here from Wednesday) so had to ditch that idea, and drove to the 3 mile loop around the balancing lakes that our local parkrun is held on instead. It was windy (30 MPH gusts apparently, not sure about that though, certainly didn't feel that bad) and wet, with quite a few large puddles, but in all honesty, it was not too bad really and not really warranting the s**t show that followed from me if i'm honest. 2 mile warm up and into the "HMP" miles, which came out at 5.28, 5.29, 5.33, 5.35, 5.43, 5.46 and 5.42 with an average of 5.36 min miles, which are slower and harder work than the actual Half marathon pace i ran on Saturday. The 3 mile cool down was grim, just demoralised, tired legs and soaking. But, on reflection in a nice warm shower :lol: its done now, the effort was there, and i'll move on.
  • Options
    hamo, it's on PO10 - I've actually had to do a few race results for the club so I'm back to checking again.

I wouldn't beat yourself up for that session - as you say, you ran the HM faster a few days ago. Likely you still have some fatigue in the legs. My much shorter effort today was HMP (or a little faster for the last two) but it felt like 10K pace - I still don't quite understand how it seems so much easier during an actual race. But it does, eh?
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Hamo: wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the LT. The 7mi is difficult on your own and the thought of a future HM keeps me going through it so without that motivation I guess its even harder. Plus your legs must be knackered a bit after winning that race last week.
    Cal: glad the LT went well - never much fun those!
    SQ: glad the break has went well. I think a break does wonders mentally for runners.
    John: another amazing picture - you really do live in a beautiful part of the world!
    Jools: more good climbing from you and nice 2mi reps!
    Macca: that's a fantastic result on the 10km. I guess all sights are now firmly set on Spartathlon in the next month
    So I've been ill all week - tired, lethargic, run down and done next to no running. Did one 10 miler on Tuesday which felt awfuland have spent the last 2 days in bed. Feel much better today thankfully, but may explain why the race didn't go so well last weekend if I was coming down with something.
  • Options
    AWC - Fingers crossed you are over that now.
    Hamo - Agreed with the others, likely fatigue from the HM and the big miles you have run recently. It's a session banked though, so all good training stimulus.

Nipped out at lunch for an easy 8 miler, 15 miles planned for tomorrow, then rest day on Sunday. Should be 50 miles for the week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - good run that, inreased pace nicely, so probably could hsve gone quicker.

Hamo - good for your kids and your work routine then, thats all good for your household. Good attitude today, bank it and move on. You are in the fortunate position of knowing exactly what yr current hmp is anyway.

AWC - hope you feel better soon, but this week is the ideal week to miss running (post yr 1/2).

I had a bit more time today so ended up doing 15m, legs were pretty tired by the end, so tomorrows long run might be tough.