Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    Cal...Yea it has been strangely mild of late, and I've been caught over dressed on a few runs now. Nice 5 miler, and the rest seems to have done you good with the niggles being quieter and you looking at a few races...good to see.

TR...Are you planning on weather watching closer to the time, with both being prone to a breeze, and then deciding whether to plump for Dorney or Goodwood, or doing both? :wink: :lol: Glad to see you've entered Dorney for April too, nice to have a spring marathon to keep you honest over the winter, and they run a good safe, covid compliant event on private grounds, so figers crossed it *should* go ahead.

AWC... :lol: I would imagine your mind was playing tricks on you after that distance well before you encountered the cows...I'd have s**t myself being sleep deprived and all too :lol: You have put your legs to work rightly this last month, they'll be glad of the taper. Best of luck with your hilly LR, and nice running with your mate in the New Forest. Enjoy the half term festivities, sounds like a fun time. 

So, I got the half expected email on Tuesday afternoon saying that my marathon was being postponed, as although it technically met the new regulations (15 people max starting in waves), morally the land owners and organisers couldn't justify it, i think there was 400 (ish) people registered across all distances during the day. 

However, another email landed on Tuesday night from the race director inviting me to an "invite only marathon" this Sunday at Down Royal Race Course instead. That is the same place where me and AWC have raced before. Tommy Hughes was due to try and break the Over 60's (i think) marathon world record (2.35.xx) , and go sub 2.30 for the 4th decade in a row, at the Maze on Saturday, so they are rejigging it so he can still attempt the record, as he has fully tapered etc in anticipation of Saturday. It has to be a bona fide race to count, so 8 registered runners, plus Tommy and his son Eoin have been invited to run. Which, added to 5 organisers who will be present, makes it 15 people and in complete compliance with the rules. 14.5 x 1.75 mile laps plus a start and finish shute will take a bit of getting my head around, but I couldn't turn the opportunity down, as it's looking more and more likely that it will be the last race of the year, if not until March/April time over here. And how often do you get part of a record breaking (hopefully) race.

So 6 recovery miles both yesterday morning and today have brought the plan back into line with the new race date, and i'm really looking forward to it. It'll be nice to run with no pressure and just see how i get on. Weather is still to be windy, but 30 mph gusts instead of 40 so a bit better, and i think that was part of the reason of changing it to Sunday as well.
  • Options
    There have been a lot of races at Dorney with different organisers but I think ATW is the first to offer a marathon. Good luck, TR. I'll definitely be happier with the non-lapped Richmond race, assuming it goes ahead.

Enjoy your break, AWC.

7 miles today - didn't go out until 10am. I think my faster pace is partly down to going out later but may also be due to being more recovered and doing stuff like step-ups on the big (20") box at the gym. I was quicker today too - averaged 9:50 for this but the last mile was slower and my legs felt a lot less bouncy by that point. Not sure if that was fatigue (I did train legs yesterday, although not with weights) or the fact the wind picked up towards the end and I was running into it for a spell.
    I felt a bit more confident today so ran down and along Wandsworth Common then back via Clapham Common. Managed to get across all the roads (including the South Circular) without stopping, which was a bonus. Achey bum still in evidence but definitely not worse. Felt the QL a little bit towards the end though. However, achilles is still behaving itself.
    I'm actually considering a race on Halloween (it has a nice themed medal, heh) - is that a terrible idea? There's a range of distances and I quite fancy the 10 mile as I don't get to run that very often. (It is a lapped event, mind).
  • Options
    Congratulations Hamo. That's exciting: pacemaking a WR attempt. It'll be like Kipchoge & the Sub2 all over again - except you've to run the whole thing.
    Cracking marathon racing again AWC enjoy the half-term. Mine starts tomorrow night :) I'm much in need as I've been shattered this week.
    Good to hear you're back on it Cal & going well.
    Glad to say I seem to be off the bench already. 5M Tuesday, 7M yesterday & another 5.7M at lunch today with 2M@sub 7s. Feel good enough to make it a double & run 10K back to the car rather than bike it too.
  • Options
    Jools...Good to see you off the bench, that is a more than decent start of a week. No pace making duties for me, his son is doing that as far as i know. It's just a proper race for everyone else, albeit quite a small one :lol:

Cal...Nice 7 miler. I enjoy a 10 mile race, very niche distance i find. I'd say go for it, race when you can at the minute, it'll be nice to run it with no pressure and getting a nice medal. Speaking of which, my London medal came today, the kids are suitably impressed by it. :lol:
  • Options
    Hamo - sorry the original Marathon was postponed but to get that invite is a reflection of what you’ve put in / achieved in these difficult times.  Unbelievable time to be gunning for at that age, great if you can say you were there.

TR - I’m in for Dorney next April too.  Despite the weather the last one seemed to get good press so I expect it to sell out sometime.

AWC - after a string of strong performances I think you’ve aren’t a half term taper.

Jools glad to read you seem to have bounced back quickly.  Enjoy half term too.

Cal - glad to hear you are getting out for a few runs.  There’s some imaginative medals out there, I keep meaning to display or frame some of mine but somehow they always end up in the sock drawer.

Not much to report here, a couple of steady weeks post VLM were probably much needed, 18 weeks to Dorney appears to start 30th Nov !

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - enjoy yourself, our half term is next week.

Hamo - your post was a rollercoaster, i groaned at the cancellation, but then great news on the invite to the WR attempt. Good news that Sunday has a slightly better forecast.........yes, if its ropey for Dorney, ill sack it off for goodwood. Wish i had entered both last time.

Cal - good to see you easing back to it. I didnt mind the multi laps at GW apart from the ~1m into the wind each lap, as i liked cpunting to 11 rather than 26.

Jools - top news, great healing powers.

Macca - folks said the wind wasnt too bad as it was mostly a cross wind. Its ideal for you as not too far to travel. Plus there were 170ish sub 3, so a lot of  decent level runners to chase.

I saw there was a Next % and Alphafly drop today.

12m tonight, body is still groaning, but im getting a bit more done for slightly less groaning.
  • Options
    Macca...Yea it is a lightening quick marathon for him to be aiming for, but he ran 1.11 in Larne for the half the other week so will be no bother to him. Glad to see you in for Dorney too, as i said to TR, spring marathons will keep you honest over the winter. Good idea having a couple of easier/steadier weeks after London.

TR...Yea, my Tuesday night was a bit up and down with the emails too :flushed: :lol: Nice to have the back up of Goodwood then, it'll take the pressure out of it a bit. Yea seen the Nike drop, not sure on the Mango colour (not that that matters) but i've brand new Alpha's and Nxt's already so couldn't justify another pair. Nice MLR, and glad that you are still able to get the work done even with the groaning, hope it continues to improve.

5 easy miles with strides to finish this morning. I'm looking forward to the clocks changing and a bit more light in the mornings next week, even if it'll only last for a few days.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - hope Sunday goes well. Sounds like a great opportunity has fallen into your lap.

6m easy for me, long run tomorrow then 1 more week before i start tapering again. Havnt done anything other than easy stuff and a bit of 10% running as ive been creaking, but no big deal. Might get a bit of massage if things are still a bit slow, but some of my issues are from hammering the rehabb. So I'll ease that back.

Fleet 1/2 in March has cancelled totally, no new date for 2021.
  • Options
    Good stuff Hamo. You must have earned a bit of sustained downtime after this weekend.
    You've been piling the miles in for sure TR. What's the weekly tally been since you jumped back on the bonnet? 80+?
    Another 10K/5M double today. Leg stiff & grumbly but my Right Glute/ITB is more painful tbh so I'll keep at it though not really sure what it's all for.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Keep it moving whilst we can Jools, next time i have to stop for a while will be the beginning of the end. .......70 something last week, 80 this week if i do 22 tomorrow, 70 something next week, then 3 week taper.
  • Options
    hamo, good luck - not sure I'd want to be racing so soon after Dorney (if I'd done the marathon...which I didn't) but then I'm older and it takes me five or six weeks to get back up to speed after a marathon.
    Not a fan of the mango - it's more like puke. Glad I got them in the original black/green.

TR, enjoy your taper (when you get to it). Can't really imagine an 80 mile week - my body gets pretty grumpy when I start hitting the mid 50s.

Jools, glad you're back out there but take care of your sore bits. If you're not racing then there's no harm in taking it easier for a bit.

Run today: the intention was to do a couple of warm-up miles then do three at around HMP to see how that would affect the hamstring. Did three warm-up miles, but after the fourth mile a bit faster (didn't quite make HMP - it was between HMP and MP) I realised I was not mentally and physically on for pushing myself today, so did a cool down mile and called it quits. I've had a couple of patchy nights and I don't think the grey, windy weather helped my mood either - I felt much better during my two runs during the week.
    Hamstring didn't seem any worse on the faster mile, but QL is niggling again, which is annoying (it was yesterday, to be fair - perhaps it didn't like some of the stuff I was doing in the gym).
    I've entered the 10 mile anyway, so will have to make sure I get more sleep. Extra hour tonight should help.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Looks like you're on the mend then Cal. When is the 10m?

10m easy, 12m mp + approx 10% was the plan. The +10% section average came out a little slow at 7.24, but as it was mostly an out and back i copped a beating from the wind and hills in the last 5m ( which were all slower than +20%, but its the effort that counts), had to carry my cap in the last few miles, reminded me of Goodwwod.
  • Options
    It's definitely gusty out there, TR - I am glad I wasn't racing in it. Race is next Saturday. There's a range of distances but the 10 mile goes off first at 10am, which is good. It's laps of the Velopark - I've run at the Olympic Park a few times but not the Velopark itself so it'll be something new. Hopefully I won't get bored.
    Part of the reason for choosing the 10 mile (aside from the start time) is it's not too fast for the hamstring and it's also a distance I've not done much, so my PB isn't great. I won't mind too much if I don't better it, but it'd be nice. Just not sure I'm in the right shape right now.

• Options
    I was looking forward to having a nice Sunday run, especially as it's light an hour earlier. But I started feeling mildly grotty yesterday afternoon and now my throat is scratchy. Explains why my body was reluctant to do tempo miles yesterday, eh? Hopefully a day off and rest will allow me to get out tomorrow instead - weather looks nicer tomorrow anyway.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    That 10m sounds good then cal. There used to be a good 10m near me in November but its gone now.

Hamo - how did you go ? Hoe did Tommy go?
  • Options
    TR...Tommy smashed he WR by 6 odd minutes, but he was more annoyed about missing out on a sub 2.30 by 2 seconds...man is a machine and real competitor. 

I done ok, happy with it anyway (more so than I was about Dorney strangely enough). 2.41 official time coming 4th, through half way in 1.14.4x with the lead pack (There was a few “pacers” for Tommy) feeling good, but Dorney coupled with the strong headwind in the back straight for 14 laps caught up with me and I went into “keep my sub 2.45 streak alive” mode rather than really hurt myself for a time mode. Aerobically felt fine, but my core and legs weren’t overly happy. 
    That’s me done with Marathons now until the new year, Belfast is meant to be May Day bank holiday weekend, so we’ll see if that’s looking likely, but until that block it’ll be shorter stuff I’ll concentrate on I think. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hamo - sounds like you had a strong day today well done. Always a tough ask on another windy day so soon after Dorney. Good going to back up strong maras esp in a field of 8 runners. I think the leaning into the wind caused me hammy trouble at GW, so i hear you on the aches. I like your plan of a bit of shorter stuff for a while. Will you get more involved with your new club now ? Will they hive you schedules?

Well played Tommy!
  • Options
    Hope a day off sorts you out Cal.
    Saw your run on Strava Hamo. Looked a painful struggle from about 30K. I’m sure you’d all have been quicker on a still day.
    Cracking 22M TR
    I did 15 out & back along the Grand Western Canal today: averaged 8:02 on the way out & 7:10 on the return which, like yours, was into the wind. Did almost 11 yesterday with a sub20 (not)parkrun. Pleased to report that my crippling injury of last weekend is no more than a slightly tender quad this week. Didn’t even notice it whilst running today nor on the short walk back to the car 😀
  • Options
    Well done Hamo, that's excellent!
  • Options
    Hamo - great effort.  So soon after a hard effort at Dorney and with less than ideal conditions, I think you did well just for getting up to give it a go.  Still trying to wrap my head around 2.30 at 60 , I wonder if that will reduce WAVA scores for over 60 marathoners.

Another strong run in poor conditions TR.  Fingers crossed for a period of decent weather.

Jools - great to hear you’ve bounced back. That’s one way to test an injury😀

Cal - it’s almost a relief when a cold comes out after feeling rubbish, hopefully you can knock it on the head quickly.

I was hoping for a big week last week but had to settle for 80m (off a longest of 15) which is quite good given I wasnt feeling totally on it.  I’m still churning out virtual sat am 5ks, collecting a bunch of 18:0x but can’t seem to go lower.  One more go next week before trashing my legs at SDW and Wendover.  

I might have missed something but I think congratulations to Steve might be in order ?
  • Options
    Did he get married? (Couldn't see any races mentioned but did notice his wife congratulating him on a run). Anyway, if that's the case, congrats. :)

Macca - I rarely get a proper cold (the last one was the one that stopped me going to Valencia in 2018, it was really awful). I often get sneezing, scratchy throat and a general run-down, tired and crappy feeling but I'm usually able to shake it off after a couple of days. Which I've done this time, thankfully.
    (BTW...80 miles seems like a lot to me, though I know you're a beast. Good luck with those two...that's a tough double).

Since I was feeling grotty yesterday and it was also raining, I opted to do absolutely nothing (I literally walked less than 500 steps...very small flat...)
    Today I still had a bit of a scratchy throat on waking but felt better, although I could feel my hamstring a lot more (so I guess sitting on my arse all day is one of the things it doesn't like).
    Thankfully neither seemed to bother me on the run. I had an enjoyable 8 miles running down to Earlfield, along the Wandle to Collier's Wood then back to Tooting along a trail path I discovered during the summer (which is now a bit muddy) and up the hill back to Tooting Common. Could feel the hammy but it wasn't bad and I gave it a little push around an obscure little road loop near the end where I have a Strava crown. After the hill back up to Tooting Common I felt my HR was a bit too high so had a cool-down walk the rest of the way home.
    Scratchy throat has gone but back feels a bit achey so just marinated myself in Epsom Salts.
    I should be fine for the 10 miler on Saturday though I'll judge how much I can push myself on the day.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Onwards and upwards jools, good news.

Macca - i was thinkibg its getting near to wendover time again. Is sdw 50 first? How long between the two.

Cal - looks like you are going to be ok for your 10m then. Good news.

Im on a commute run home later.

Got my 4% out last night, as i need to decide between them and my saucony endorphin speed for dorney, and want to use whichever i choose for 13mp this weekend. I only used the 4% once, back in February at the chichester 10k. I tried them on again and still have the feeling of a very noticeable bump under the arches, which feels wrong (and puts me off wearing them for a mara), is this just me ? Do others get the same feeling in 4% anf Next%. Maybe im feeling the carbon?
  • Options
    TR, SDW50 was this weekend just gone.

I don't feel a bump under my arch but they are quite hard on the balls of my feet.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Maybe its just me then. Macca must be doing the 100 then.
  • Options
    TR - when I first put my Vaporfly 4% they felt awful, like I was walking on the instep and I would fall over. As soon as I picked up pace they felt completely natural.  Could you try 2 or 3 miles at MP in them midweek ?

I’m tempted to go for the Vaporfly Next as I’ve still got an e voucher from a pair I returned but leaving them in a box for 6 months seems a bit of a shame.

SDW100 in 2 weeks time with Wendover the week after.  If it doesn’t break me it should get me within touching distance of 4K for the year.
  • Options
    Stay pure TR & sell the carbon plated cheat shoes.
    Impressive 5K consistency in spite of the volume Macca.
    Sounds an enjoyable 8M Cal.
    Just 13 hilly miles on N Devon lanes for me today, easy effort but still averaged 8:24 pace in spite of the 1000+ ft & stiff breeze so all is good. Legs were tiring by the end but it was a 2 mile climb.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - good idea, i dont need to run commute thursday so could do that then. 100m in one go is bonkers, i havnt managed it in a week yet.

Jools - we'll see, if i dont get on with them, i wont be using them. N Devon sounds ace. 13m here too, but far less elevation.

13m, back to monday mlr in the dark.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hamo: amazing event to be part of - not many can say they paced someone to a World Record! Great job on the sub 2:45 streak as well. Hope you enjoy some well deserved downtime. At least you know ChampionChip will be able to put on their events even if the traditional ones don't happen. I might time my summer holiday to coincide with some of them next year
    Macca: looking forward to the SDW100 now! Can't believe you are doing WW50 the week after. I cancelled my entry a few weeks ago along with the SDW50 as I was supposed to do it as well. You should be in good nick for the 100 though with all the miles you've put in this year.
    Jools: sounds like a decent 13 miler there with the climbing and weather against you. Good run on the GWC as well and great news on the injury improvement!
    Cal: glad the niggles seem to be clearing up a bit and you are back at it.
    TR: Monday MLR in the dark - rather you than me!! Good training all the same
    Just a few recovery runs for me at the moment. Was at center parcs at the weekend so took it fairly easy. Not much motivation to get out in the awful weather though even for a short run! Happy wet running everyone!
  • Options
    Hamo - Amazing running that is by Tommy and yourself so soon after your marathon.
    TR - Nice MLR.
    Jools - Good race result, despite not being what you wanted.
    AWC - Nice training, you seem ready for SDW100 now. Have you run the Testway 40 miler??
    Macca - Nice VVLM time!
    John - Good pacing for your VVLM.

Well, we did it and are now married, COVID didn't stop us! Weather was great on the day, as it had rained earlier in the week! Spent a week in the Scilly Isles afterwards, so had to run around St Mary's for 10 miles, but have only run 4 times (I think) over the 2 weeks, so legs refreshed.
    Back on it this week with 12*400 and 4*200 in 1:31/30/30/32/28/32/30/25/27/30/28/26 and 39/41/39/40 for the 200's with 10 miles in total.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Steve: thats fantastic news - congratulations! I did the Testway 50 last year which happens at the same time on the same course. Are you thinking of doing it next year?
    Did 11 miles today in the wind and rain - went really well and felt great all the way round. Taper legs are feeling good so far.