P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Congratulation Steve, great stuff.

AWC - good to see you in good shape ready to rumble.

I was on the road early for work today so just the minimum 5m run commute before setting off.
  • Congratulations Steve. Great excuse for some R&R. I hear the Scillies are beautiful, never been myself. Legs seem to be happy enough taking a pounding again.
    CBA to 11M is good going on the self motivation front AWC. Decent pace too.
    The recovery days are important TR.
    That said I’m taking full advantage of my week’s break in Devon so 17M of hilly N Devon lanes in the wet n wind this morning & a far more pleasant 4M walk with the OH round Morte Point this afternoon/evening once the rain had blown through.
  • Nice one Steve - I hope you have a long and happy marriage.
    AWC, seems your CentreParcs break did you some good then.
    Jools, noticed that from Strava. Hoping you have some nicer weather while you're there.

Lovely morning this morning, although a bit chilly, so I went out around 6.30ish and got a 10 miler done. Pace was a lot slower at that time of the morning - it's amazing how much slower I am before 7am versus after 9am. It's all down to stride length - clearly I am a lot stiffer early on.
    Pretty happy with the run as hammy wasn't too bad, but QL was niggling and while my pace was easy, HR was a bit higher than I'd like. I guess I'm still getting over my mini-cold at the weekend. Hopefully I'll be fully sorted by Saturday.
  • AWC - I'm on a wait list for a local 6 hour event, but the organisers are not sure if it will go ahead yet due to restrictions in the West Mids! Hence looking at a backup further afield! Nice 11 miler.
    Cal - Nice early morning 10 miler.
    Jools - Saw that hilly run, nice going! The Scillies are very beautiful, empty beaches (well it was October!), clear waters and lovely sunsets/sunrises! Nice place to get away from it all for a bit!

Just an easy 4 miler today.
  • I hope it goes ahead for you, Steve, but there are quite a few races on in various places if you're able to travel.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Cal: fingers crossed for Saturday - sounds like a nice run today
    Steve: the organisers ATR have run a few races in September successfully. This is the type of race that has been going ahead down south successfully so if anything has a chance of happening it's this type of event. So a great backup to have.
    6mi recovery at lunch today with a gentle S&C session this morning
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff jools youve bounced back well from IoW

Onwards and upwards cal

Macca - i get what you mean re treading on the instep, thats what i can feel. 40mph winds sat, so ill bin the mp run anyway, ive enough recent experience of trying to run mp into that.

12m tonight.
  • Don’t blame you TR. 8M walking round Hartland point today in 40+ mph winds was hard enough no way I’d be attempting MP in that! Got the OH to drop me off 9M from home after so I could run back: 10K on the flat but into a headwind the whole way then a 3M climb. Legs felt surprisingly good.
  • AWC - Good to know!

6 miles with 2 miles at MP today (6:48/6:39), but HR was closer to HM pace than MP. That should come down over the next few weeks hopefully!!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Your week in Devon sounds great jools. 40mph was more than enough at GW, i have no desire to try to repeat it in training.

I did a wet 10m today. Was going to do 6m easy after yday evenings 12m, but it wasnt too windy, so i took the opportunity to do 3 easy, 7 ~mp+10%, but ended up too quick with av 6.55 for the 7m, due to a bit more wind assistance than resistance, and wearing my fly flyknits.
  • TR...Yes i plan on starting to go to a few of the clubs track sessions etc now, before i start into another mara block on my own in the new year. I can't help, i find all versions of the nike magic shoes to be very comfortable thankfully. Hopefully as Macca say, when you put them to work they will feel better for you. Good idea binning the MP miles, you are well enough versed in running hard in the wind, you don't need any more practice :lol: Super consistent running from you as always, especially those MP+10's.

Jools...Yep, it was a painful enough last 12 odd km, made worse that i ran past my car every mile and and half, but glad i battled on to finish and didn't take the easy option of my first dnf now in hindsight.  Class (Not) parkrun time, lovely hilly MLR and good to see the injury has really improved. Sounds like you've had/are having a brilliant week away, class.

Macca...100%, 2.30 at any age is some going, but at 60 is very very impressive, he is a serious man. 80 miles is still a very big week, and those fly 5ks are very very good in the midst of it too, especially on your own. 

Cal...Lovely 10 miler. Good the niggles are less niggly and you seem to be getting over the cold rightly.

AWC...Yea it was class to be a part of it. ChampionChip have arranged a "winter series" too, depending on the relaxations of this circuit breaker (or whatever the new buzz word is :lol:), so judging by that, there should be a good choice for a summer trip for you. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend away. Good sign that you felt good on the MLR, the recoveries and break have obviously refreshed the legs.

Steve...Huge congratulations to you and the new wife, brilliant news. Nice reps and MP to get back into it. You are right, the heart rate/effort won't take long to drop again.

I had a couple of days off to refresh the legs at the start of the week, then a very easy half hour run last night. Followed that up with 6 recovery miles in the rain this morning...genuinely bliss, really enjoyed it and feeling not too bad at all.
  • It's nice when you can enjoy a run like that, hamo.

TR and Steve - those sound like productive runs.

Jools, glad your legs feel good. I would not fancy 40mph winds either.

Busy day for me - slow 5 miler first thing (it was intended to be slow but I had to slow down even more due to lots of wet leaves, and I wasn't keen on skating on them and tearing my groin or something). Then gym - upper body stuff. I avoided power cleans today as I didn't want to exhaust myself too much before my race. Tomorrow will be a rest day but I'll have a bit of a walk to keep things ticking over.
  • Cal...Busy day is right. Nice 5 miler, slow but safe is the way forward before a race.

5 miles easy with 6 strides at tacked on the end for me this morning. I have a 5000m inter club track "race" tomorrow. It's just between my club and our city rivals to keep things semi interesting with no official races on at the minute. Looking forward to it, not expecting much, but will be nice to spin the legs with no pressure and see what they have after 2 marathons in 3 weeks.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - a few sessions with your club mates sounds ideal, you might find some long run company again too. Hope the 5000m goes well, you legs are a lot tougher and younger than mine!

Cal - hope yr 10m race goes well.

Rainy 6m easy today.
  • Have fun, hamo.

Typical - started feeling rough again today. Not what I need. This happens to me a few times a year - I get the feeling I'm coming down with something (sneezes, tired, general malaise) but it never develops into anything. No idea what it is. In theory I shouldn't be catching anything as I've not been around anyone much.
    Hopefully I'll feel normal again tomorrow.
  • Good luck tomorrow Cal Hamo.
    11.5M around Braunton this afternoon. Stupidly warm out even with the constant drizzle. Good pace on the tarmac sections, a lot slower through the dunes & on the beach.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Congrats Steve! Glad to hear it was a fantastic day and The Scillys sound like a great spot, I read that it gets almost mediterranean-like weather. 

Hamo - well done on another rapid marathon. Held on well considering and still an awesome experience to be part of. Must have been solo for a large chunk of it, how did you find it?

TR - how did you get on with the 4%? All those plated shoes only seem to feel comfortable at tempo pace or faster. 

Just dropping by as despite me saying I’m done with marathons for this year, I’m jumping in at the last minute to a small local one tomorrow. Will be on open paths along the river and rain is forecast so not sure what to expect. Have been hitting around 3 hour pace in a few workouts so may set out at that and see how it goes. Will be good to finally line up for a real race (although it’s setting off in pairs and only a field of 140)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - how did you go?

Jools - youre having a good week.

John - another mara ! Sounds good though hope it goes well........4% still boxed, see below....

was supposed to do 20 inc 13mp today, but storm aiden and an imminent lockdown put paid to that, knowing that Dorney in 3 wks will probably be cancelled, i wasnt that keen to run 20m in the pissing rain and wind, and had sacked the mp off due to the weather forcase days ago, so i appeased myself with 16m which was wetter than an otters pocket.

308m for Oct which is solid given Goodwood was 27th sept. 503 required for the leap yr target of 3660.
  • John, good luck!
    TR, still a good length run in crap weather.

Velopark 10 mile was, well, not my fastest (not that I expected it to be but actually, my official 10 mile PB is a bit of a low bar, and it was well outside that).
    The course itself is undulating, and while there aren't any very steep bits, the inclines do start to tell after a few laps.
    Weather was grey but warm, and gusty, with wind at a couple of points on the course, but at first I didn't mind it too much as it kept me from getting too hot.
    5 miles in and it started to rain, and it was hard rain - the kind that stings a bit. The biggest problem for me was when I was running into it and it was going into my eyes and making them sting like hell. I spent some time half blind and furiously rubbing my eyes, which didn't help.
    I'd set what I thought was a manageable early pace - not too fast - but I still managed to get slower and slower until I wasn't even doing HM pace. I guess the lack of race fitness made more difference than the actual conditions, if I'm being honest.
    But at least hammy wasn't too bad. Left calf was tight, but the worst discomfort I faced was the stinging eyes.
    I actually didn't mind the laps - the course is varied enough that it's not as monotonous as some other lapped races I've done, and there was another Chaser who was around half a lap behind me so we waved to each other every lap, which was nice.
    Anyway, official time was 1:31:01, which isn't great, but given my recent issues I guess I'll take it. In the small field (there were several distances on offer with different start times) it was good enough for 5th woman, though that was out of 17 - I was also the only one in my age cat, though I did finish in front of all but one V35 and two V40s. least).
    Time to relax and eat food.
  • Hope it went ok John.
    Sounds a decent enough effort Cal. You’ve been fending off (pushing through) injuries & illness for a while now: this week has been anything but smooth! Throw in adverse weather too & it’s no wonder you struggled to maintain pace. Least you toed the line & crossed the finish unbroken.
    Solid month TR & great to have a 100M cushion with only 61 days to go. Run rate of 8.25/day should be relatively comfortable even allowing for a taper/recovery & Xmas day off.
    Another 10.8M for me including a 22:18 at Woolacombe Dunes (not)parkrun which was a 3 minute improvement on my only other attempt 3 weeks ago B) - in spite of the gale force winds.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Well it wasn’t quite what I expected but grateful to be able to race one at all. The start was on a grass oval and with the thunderstorms yesterday it was mushy underfoot for a couple of laps before heading down to the riverside path. This was shared with bikes and everyone else but fortunately there was always plenty of room, although a bit twisty and undulating in parts. Mixed in with some footpaths along residential roads and even steps up to the bridges, a first for me in a marathon! Throw in a couple of road crossings and gravel trail in a park and it was a bit of everything on the course. 

Ran to HR of around 160 which came out around 4:20/km pace or just outside 3 hours. Pretty much solo for the whole race except when passing slower runners in the shorter distances. Got overtaken by around 8 but finished solidly and got back 4 places. Finished in 3:02:50 and felt it was one of the better ones I’ve paced, maybe even a small negative split. Need to do more marathon specific work though next year. Pretty sure that will definitely be it for this year!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - good to get that 10m in before lockdown, might be the last chance for a while.

Another good day Jools. If we dont get to race again this yr i should tick the 500m off in good time

John - nicely done.......I'm sure you'll be squeezing another mara in soon

8m easy today. Dorney in 3 wks will no doubt be cancelled, possibility of goodwood on dec 6th i suppose, but that will probably be cancelled too. Will be frustrating if i end the yr with just the wind affected 3.00.00.
  • TR - better than a DNF like me though.
  • Sounds like a tough course John so that’s an absolute belter of a time.
    Think I’m almost back on track TR so just another 60x10M days. Never believed it’d be a realistic prospect when I jokingly mentioned it to you 10 months ago yet here we both are within striking distance of hitting that target. Thanks for helping to keep me honest throughout this strange year.
    12.7M today, much of it along the SWCP between Woolacombe & Ilfracombe so plenty of mud n hills. It’s been a fun 8 days in Devon. In spite of the stormy weather I’ve run 102 miles & walked another 20 with a fair bit of climbing thrown in. Back to work tomorrow for another 7 weeks of dodging Covid-19.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Fair point cal, but you made the right decision on the day.

More good stuff jools, sounds an excellent break. The power of the thread keeps us honest. Its been easy to collect miles with no tapers. I was hoping for a taper and recovery in November or December, making the 500 required still a sporty ask........my best hope is Goodwood 6th Dec, as chichester will be a low infection area. Depends if racing can pick up as soon as lockdown ends, but it might not even end early December.
  • Steve - belated congratulations.  Good to see some mp appearing too.

Cal - that looks like a decent performance to me, well done.  Given the recent niggles and as Jools says, throw in some rubbish weather, 5/17 is just off the podium.  

John - sounds like an interesting course, finishing strongly for a decent time, great work and as you say, good to just have a race.

Jools - sounds like a good week off, great mileage especially given what felt like rubbish weather last week.

Hamo - hope you enjoyed your 5k.

Slight taper week for me last week so I thought I’d give my Saturday 5k some beans.  Blustery and starting to rain but the faster I go, the sooner it’s over right.  About halfway through I’m starting to run through puddles and the beans have washed away in a little river running down the road.  Still, a decent effort.

TR - sorry your marathons don’t look promising.  You deserve a shot at a decent weather marathon.  Racing aside, you should look back on the years training with pride.

Anyway, Saturdays announcement was soon followed by the cancellation of SDW 100 and the Wendover Woods double header, 50m+50km.  I think I feel more sorry for the organisers than myself, in fact I’m not sure what to feel about anything atm.  Anyway, approx 10m/day should see me to 4000 miles this year.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - shame re the cancellations given all your prep, 4000 would be awesome. As you say none of the training miles are wasted and maybe we'll get to make hay in the spring on the back of the miles.

The Dorney folks are saying they have asked for guidance, but golf courses have been shut until Dec 3rd, so that sets the precedent.

My bike was already in work from last wk so today was a 10m run in rather than an mlr run home. I have less time in the morning as i have doggy duty before running to work.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Shame but not unexpected Macca. Not surprised your beans got sluiced away. Still a class time.
    No need for any more TR. I doubt Dorney will be able to go ahead.
    Last club session on the track tomorrow though I'll skip it as I've my Y7 lunchtime club & my pal from work has organised an interclub 5,000m track event Wednesday evening. Not official Po10 UKA licence but 4/5 heats of a dozen seeded by times with proper track judges/timekeepers etc so a real race experience.
    Turns out I still needed 615 from 60 days after the Devon break. However with 2 full months to go I matched my previous highest mileage year of 3031 in 2018 so it's all a bonus from here on in :)
    Only 280 for October as the 1st week was light due to taper/recovery & the 3rd was injury affected with 2 days off then a gradual return to normal mileage. I drove straight to work from Devon this morning so just time for a sharpish 5M along the canal with aforementioned pal after work today. Although the legs were stiff from the drive then sitting all day they loosened off pretty quick & we knocked out a 7:00 mile towards the end which felt very comfortable.
  • Sorry about your races, Macca - one of the girls I went to Dorney with was down for her first 100 miler at SDW, too.
    The race situation is crap for everyone, though. I know, in my case, though, that I'm not in shape so I can definitely do with taking time to train properly.

Early 5 miles for me, after a couple of days off (walked and did gym yesterday). I knew it was going to rain but wasn't prepared for quite how much. It was light rain when I left the house just after 6, but by the time I'd reached the end of my road, it had turned into a thunderstorm and deluge. I got properly soaked. A car even sprayed me going through a puddle and it made no difference to how wet I was.
    After a couple of miles it eased off and became quite pleasant, so I really should have gone out half an hour later. But I was mindful I needed to get it done as I have the gym later on. Ah well. I didn't get struck by lightning at least.
  • Unlucky Cal.
    I managed to get my 5M before work done just after the rain had stopped & just back from another 7M in the sunshine. Running has felt really easy these last 2 days - probably cause I'm back on the flat after a week of Devonian hills :)