Beginners Q’s - reducing heart rate and running longer

Hi everyone. I’ve got some beginners questions which I hope you can help me with.

I’ve been running for about a year now and tend to ‘train’ for a 10K race in October. Then I hibernate. But this year I’m trying to run through the winter and maybe even aim for a half marathon next October.

I struggle to run slowly. All of my runs are virtually the same pace. 6:00-6:10 a kilometre whether it’s a long run or an easy run. My 10K pub is 01:01:14.

My heart rate is also the same. I’m 31 so see my max heart rate to be 189. In all of my training sessions i seem to be a lot in then “anaerobic” level, right at the top, for like 45% of the time.

So if i run slower and therefore reducing my heart rate, will it get better over time? Is the science behind it that the more often and more I run, the lower my heart rate will become?

I’ve got more questions but maybe let’s just leave it at that first!
Thanks
Chris

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    MHR is a moveable feast, 189 may be your maximum, but that figure is based on averages and is only an indicator of what might be close to the actual figure.

Before you go down the route of training to different HR levels you need to establish your "true" MHR, ways to do which you can find on the internet, then work out your differing levels, aerobic, anaerobic etc and train accordingly.

If you training appears to be at anaerobic levels then your Max HR is probably much higher than 189 as most people can only run at real anaerobic levels for about 400m, i.e. its speed work!
  • Ah that’s interesting as i had my Apple Watch and a heart-rate monitor said my max was 204. Maybe i should work it out to that then..
  • Heart Rate Zone training is a good way of training and  not  putting too much stress on your body (once you've figured out what the zone should be). And you're correct that over time you will have to work harder to get your heart rate up. Worthwhile sticking with it as it's rather frustrating to begin with.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    cd0282 - if you're serious about HR training then make sure you use a chest strap.   Wrist sensors are unreliable and only accurate at rest, whilst running you will get a lot of unreliable data which is useless to you.

Maybe run a parkrun, winding up your pace as you go along and then give it your all for the last half mile and that should give you a good indication of your MHR.   If you don't throw up/need oxygen add another 5 bpm to the bpm recorded as you finish.