2020 in 2020

Comments

• Thanks for the correction alehouse, I obviously can't count!! 
  • 966 miles done so 1054 to go.

In 1054
    Christian church split in Rome resulting in the Eastern church (Greek Orthodox) and the Western Roman Catholic Church.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    1345 done with 675 to go.  Still being very consistent for me, which is great.  I injected a bit of pace in a solo 5k time trial last Friday for a club event and quite enjoyed it.

Not trying to draw parallels with more current conspiracy theories but, allegedly, the most authoritative contemporary account of the Black Death is found in a report from the medical faculty in Paris to Philip VI of France.  It blamed the heavens, in the form of a conjunction of three planets in 1345 that caused a "great pestilence in the air", that created the plague.  This was apparently known as the now discredited "miasma theory".  The miasma theory (also called the miasmatic theory) is an obsolete medical theory that held that diseases - such as cholera, chlamydia, or the Black Death - were caused by a miasma ("pollution"), a noxious form of "bad air", also known as "night air".
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    1021 completed, so less than a thousand km to go. 999 actually. 

999 is of course the emergency phone number in the UK; not often the case elsewhere, so for example in most of Europe it is 112, whilst in the Americas it is usually 911.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 1021 miles completed, so 999 to go.

999 is also the emergency number in the United Arab Emirates for Police and Ambulance. 997 is the number for Civil Defense as our Fire and Rescue services are called.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    1140k completed, so 880 to go.

My aim was always to break 2 minutes for 880 yards, the half mile. Managed 2:00.2 a few times, and when it changed to 800 metres I ran exactly the same time, frustratingly. I only realised the other day that 880 yards is actually 804.67 metres, so I probably did run sub 2 minutes for 800! 

In terms of the 2020 target I am a little behind, but gradually catching up. I hope. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Anyone out there?

1220 completed, so 800 to go. For 800 see above!

Still gradually catching up. Long may it continue!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yeah, still here Alehouse, and good to read you're catching up.  I'm doing well, so I'm pleased so far.

1620 done with 400 to go.  1620 was the year that the Mayflower transported the first English Puritans, known today as the Pilgrims, from England to the New World in 1620.

• I am so close to 2020 miles! Currently sitting at 1976 Miles on the year so far! I will have this done by the end of the week! :)
    My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/MsT6666
  • Good morning all, still here as well. Got a friend who has lost their job staying in the spare room so not to much treadmill running as it's in there and mostly to hot to run outside.

Glad you're able to run more this year alehouse, going well Big_G and nearly there Matthew!

1121 miles for me so 899 to go.

In 899
    Alfred the Great dies after a 28 year reign 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    1289 km completed so 731 to go. I think I am now 8 km ahead of target! Long may it continue!
    In 1289 Pope Nicholas lV formally constitued the University of Montpellier in France; over seven centuries later my daughter was a student there.

• Treadmill still not available and it's still hot outside although I did a 6 miler this morning as the humidity was low and the temp was only 33 at 7am. Maybe winters on its way.

1179 miles so 841 to go.

In 1179
    Aberdeen is chartered by William the Lion.
  • 1400 km completed so 620 to go.

The Seven 620 is the fastest production road car Caterham have ever built.

For once I'm actually slightly ahead of schedule! Must be due an injury or illness...or both!
  • 1485 km completed so 535 to go.

In 1485 Richard III is killed in the final battle of the Wars of the Roses, The Battle of Bosworth Field. It is many years later that Richard's remains are found next door to my old school in Leicester, and the school is now the Richard III museum; Richard is buried almost opposite in Leicester Cathedral.
  • So after today's run there are 100 days to go, if my calculations are correct. 1468 km or miles should have been covered with 552 to go. 

Pleased to report that for once I am slightly ahead of the game, with 469k to go, having covered 1551k.

In 1551 in England King Edward VI dies of tuberculosis. Lady Jane Grey is proclaimed Queen. However soon afterwards the Lord Mayor of London proclaims Queen Mary as the rightful Queen and Lady Jane Grey is imprisoned after using the title of queen for nine days. Lady Jane grey lived at Bradgate House in Bradgate Park in Leicestershire, and the remains of the house can still be seen. More importantly Bradgate is my favourite place for running!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Good to be ahead of the game, Alehouse.
    You seem to be alone on this thread but I suspect that there are a few others (like myself) who are following. I've had one eye on the 2020' distance from quite early on in the year, although I have only contributed to the 1000' thread.
    My 12' morning run brings me to 1684' for the year, so far. Happy running everyone!.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm still here.

I've been injured (achilles) the last few weeks so unfortunately very little running, although I've been cycling which I think/hope has kept some kind of fitness.  I did 7-miles this morning and it felt good, so fingers crossed I'm (cautiously) back on the running.  I did DNF a 10K race on the weekend as a precaution really, but I seem to be able to run at an easy pace with not too many issues at the moment.  The last few weeks have been 14, 0, 9, 17 and 7 so far this week, so I'm on 1765, with 255 to go.

In 1765, Joseph-Nicéphore Niépce was the first to make a permanent photographic image.  
  • So 1295 miles done and 725 to go.

So passed 2020 kilometres.

in 1295
    Marco Polo returns to Venice after travelling for many years along the Silk Road.

• 1706.5 kms banked, 313.5 to go.

In 1706 the Treaty of Union agreed that England and Scotland would form Great Britain from 1st May 1707.  Wonder how soon it will be before a new treaty agrees to separate the two countries. 
  • 1777 k completed, so 243 to go. 

In 1777 The Stars and Stripes is adopted as the flag of the United States.

Hope everyone else is doing well. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Still here.  Been trying to manage an achilles injury the last few weeks, but I think technically I can still make this challenge if I don't have a reoccurrence.  I unintentionally/unexpectedly managed 28 miles last week with no obvious signs of the achilles getting worse.

I've now done 1829 miles so I've got 191 to go.  I think I'm right in saying that we've got about 8.5 weeks to go so for me it's 22 miles a week average needed.  If the achilles issue stays away, I'm hopeful....but we'll see!

The Metropolitan Police Act 1829 was an Act of Parliament introduced by Sir Robert Peel.  The Act established the Metropolitan Police of London (with the exception of the City), replacing the previous apparently disorganised system of parish constables and watchmen.

Ace of Base's "Don't Turn Around" was recorded at 191bpm and is apparently a good song to run to.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed that I am at 1920k so I think I should make it! 
    So that leaves 100 and in honour of my granddaughter who is half Peruvian-
    In the year 100ad 
    • The Moche civilization emerges, and starts building a society in present-day Peru.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Good going Wabo! You will get to 2020 before me, although I am not doing too shabbily! 

1828 km completed, so 192 to go. 

1828 saw the opening of London Zoo, and the 192 is the bus that you would get on from Stockport to Manchester!
  • Good afternoon all

1430 miles so far for me so 590 to go...

In 1430
    The trial and subsequent burning at the stake of Joan of Arc for heresy 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I just realised I did it all wrong the other day so
    I have done 1928k so far this year 92 to go
    In 1928

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Back in September I looked in and said that I had one eye on this distance, but I was only contributing to the 1000 mile thread. Well, today my 12' run took me to 2022'. I've done a sort of cross-check with Strava, and that has me at 2021, but I know that there have been a few miles not recorded on Strava, and I haven't been including all the decimal parts of my runs, so 'swings and roundabouts' brings us to the same total. Out of interest, it shows 332 hours of running, and that shakes out at an average pace of 9:51/mile. (6:08/km?).
    Happy running everyone.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I am now at 1990k for the year not long to go and my longest ever mileage for a year. 
    My son was only 3 on this day.... 1990
    • 19 November – Major job cuts are reported to be on the way at the Rover Group, Britain's largest independent carmaker.
  • Well done MrM2! Hope to see you posting regularly in 2021!

Doing well, Wabo! This time next week and it will be target met! I am a little way behind but getting there: 1874 completed so 146k to go. 

1874 in the UK seems to have been a busy year with two prime ministers, Lawn Tennis being patented, Aston Villa Football Club being founded, and the Factories act which introduced the 56 hour working week and outlawed the use of children as chimney sweeps. 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I'm done. 2020k completed this week. Let's see how many I can finish on!!