January 1st 2020- I'll die way before Methuselah So I'll fight sleep with ammonia

WaboWabo ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in Training
Oh boy happy new year all. Still up!!! 
Yesterday's lyrics were, I just don't know what to do with myself. Dusty Springfield

What something
Why streak goes on
Last hard today 5 but such a lovely run
Last rest 31/12/16
Have a nice day all
possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Years mileage 1169 very good for me
    Poppy brilliant running wow
  • Morning.

Hope 2020 is a good year for everyone.

That's a late night Wabo - were you partying?

Did Lucas sleep better now you're home emzap?

We are forecast another good weather day which is nice as I can get out for a short run, length to be determined mostly by how my knee feels.

What:          easy run/taking MiL out for lunch
    Why:           physio's orders/first NYD with FiL not really with us
    Last hard:   not running for over a week
    Last rest:    last year

Lyrics - no. 
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Hope 2020 is a good year for all!

What: easy parkrun plus a couple of Kms.

Why: running in company. Not tempted to do a parkrun double though, which many will be.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Lmh only with Family and my oh, and mum plus a mate. Our first without fil too, plenty of tears.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I only just woke so no park run here alehouse
    Enjoy yours! 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Morning again!

Wonder how LMH got on with her test run...

What: parkrun plus a few kms

Why: was up reasonably early and it promised to be a particularly pleasant morning so decided to go to Delamere parkrun. This must be one of the most attractive courses and we got glimpses of the sun rising over the lake; too busy concentrating to see much else, of course! Another run where my strength on hills was obvious, not least one near the start and another at exactly 4k, although they were no doubt flat in WP's book. Obviously something to work on in 2020! Ran reasonably and progressively: only a handful passed after the first 5 or 600 metres whilst I took far more. Have run this twice before, and both times conservatively as was recovering from injury; probably a course pb, therefore. Around 24:30.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Not good is the short answer Alehouse. Knee wasn't happy on my walk and if the physio hadn't told me to run on it regardless I wouldn't have attempted it. As it was I completed one painful mile (no point in stopping before eh?) and my knee is now worse than before so it is off to the doctors for me in the morning and hope he will stick the steroid in though physio says I must rest (not even walking!) for two days afterwards which is not an enticing prospect, the walking is helping to keep me sane.
  • Oh dear, LMH, but at least you know where you are up to. Hope the jab does the trick. 
  • Oh No LMH Lets hope the injection will work on knee!

Ale: So that is us both working on hill work this year .

My goal is to try to include more hills looking at my 10 mile route 200m climbing so I am thinking instead of running easier route home after Singleton Park go back the way I came and see how much elevation that gives me.

What: Recovery run 4 miles
    Why: Legs achy
    Last hard Yesterday's monster hills
    Lyrics  Nope

Legs did not like any inclines and I choose a flatter route about 70m climbing.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Happy New Year to you all 🎉

Oh no, LMH. Not what we wanted to hear 😔 did you have the steroid injection before? I hope it does the trick 🙏

Bet that was an emotional moment, wabo.

Congratulations on a superb race, poppy :+1: your report makes you sound very happy.

Well done, ale.

Hills are our friends, guys. A little goes a long way I find. And never underestimate the importance of regular weight sessions. I am working towards squatting my bodyweight in 2020. I'm only 20kg off that mark :D

My highlight so far: my parkrunning friend Suraj hung out with Jill and Bruce Fordyce in Cape Town and coaxed Bruce into wishing me all the best for Two Oceans in a WhatsApp video <3 . How cool is that! A bit star struck now 🤩

Special glitter parkrun today on a frosty but gorgeous morning. A comfortable 23:43, run chatting with a couple of mates. Ran one lap as warm-up and another to cool down, giving me 10.28 k for the day (our course is a bit ong).
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

What: pitchcroft parkrun this morning plus a km before
    Why: it was the closest one and it had dried out (was underwater last week!)
    Last hard: I pushed for bits of that but it was so busy we kept getting stuck. Lovely social run though

Lmh what a pain about the knee.
    Thoughts to you wabo and family and lmh and Mark.
    Ale great running
    Chick you too, a fantastic time in icy conditions, and what a great gift!!!
    WP great 10 miler too.

I need to have a think about my running goals this year. I feel I am at a point I can start to make them, though they will be less ambitious than previous years as I put my body through a lot last year.

Have a lovely day all
  • Evening! Happy New Year!

Good you got in some sleep Wabo.

Well done Ale, did you get your course PB?

Not good news on your knee LMH. Hope the jab can be done soon and does the job.

Can imagine the legs were less keen on the hills today WP.

Nice parkrun chicksta and the video must have been a nice surprise.

Looking forward to reading about your goals if you want to share emzap.

What: Nice hike today, around 4.5 hours, 800m of ascent (to 1550m) and descent. Very nice to escape the fog blanketing most of the lower regions of Switzerland. Big temperature gradient, around -5 at the base of the gorge we started at, in the sun higher up and out of the wind very warm.  More of the white fluffy stuff than we were expecting, could have done with snowshoes at times.

Why: Activities with OH
    Next hard: work tomorrow
    Last rest: running - today

• Evening!

Fun parkrun and fun "present" by the sound of things, Chick.

WP: I wouldn't have been able to walk today!

Hazel: the hike sounds tougher than running! And yes, it was a course best, not that it was very good: the previous attempts were injury hampered I seem to remember. Will go again in the summer perhaps and post a reasonable time!
  • Just a swim (370m)
    Legs tired after yesterday's trail run.
    Last hard: yesterday
    Lyrics no
  • That was thoughtful of your friend chicksta.

Hope you enjoyed your cake Poppy - sounds as though your legs needed refuelling  :)

That sounds nice Hazel. Mark did walk with me before going out on his bike this morning whilst I tried my run and then went for another walk.

Goal setting is good if it motivates you emzap but it's also ok to decide to just enjoy your running whilst you recover your strength this year.

I'm a bit torn about having the injection if I'm honest. It will mean resting for 48 hours so I won't even be able to do my walking and then an indeterminate time of walking/gym/swimming/biking (if I can bring myself to do either of the latter) before I'm able to try running again and in my experience steroid injections either work, work for a short period (unlikely in this case because if it settles the inflammation that should be it until the next time it does it) or don't work at all - and there's no telling which you'll get. If I just rest (as in don't run) it will get better eventually - again no idea when - but it should get better quicker with the steroid.