The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• MrM2 - yes I guess it'll have to be, although I realised yesterday 10K is my least favourite distance - all the effort of a 5K but for twice as long! I do have another lined up - the Winter 10K next month - but that's a big, mass participation race so I imagine it'll be too crowded for a very fast time. It's more for fun, really.
    Which parkrun did you do?
    Harmander - glad you are recovering. Not sure about mileage - that's still a lot of marathons!
    Dubai, good to get out there today.
    I also did 6 miles - a bit blustery and the pavements were full of Christmas trees so it was like running the Grand National!

YTD: 32
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Some mention of targets for the year. 

Totals: let's be sensible and realistic, 1000 is a  good goal. However this is my fourth year on this thread so let's go for a Pb, which is anything above 1167. I've built from 1008 in year 1, 1058 in y2 and, as mentioned Y3 of 1167.

With a fair wind behind me, I've got my eye on a thousand per month, 1200 for the year. Let's call this an aspirational target!! 

Times: I'll probably run 6 paid events in 2020 (1 marathon, 2 HMs and 3 10ks). I'll probably also do 40+ parkruns. 

Aiming for sub 4 for the marathon, sub 1.45 for a half and sub 45 for a 10k. In 2019, I had 3.58 for the marathon, 1.47 for the half and 45.50 as my best 10k, so some improvement required. 

Cal: if you make it to Barnsley, and it's a Saturday morning, the parkrun is worthwhile. I enjoyed my trip there. 

Ytd: 16.4
  • Donnie2

Great targets 

I am trying to reduce mine.

Did you mean 100 per month instead of a thousand a month?

• Wow Donnie, 12000 miles - that's some target :D 

Great running last year, your target times are on a par with mine, I would love to get my marathon PB down to under 3.45, I am pretty sure it could be done with some proper training, we shall see how the year pans out.

Harmander, have you booked any of the marathons as yet? The only one I have booked is the Track marathon in March, but I need to get in a few long runs as my fitness has suffered over the last couple of months, anyway keeps me out of trouble (but in the dog house)

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    OMG, 12000 for the year, now that's most certainly an aspirational target. I'll settle for 100 per month and therefore 1000 for the year. 
  • David Charman,

Yes

Rayne
    Fauja Singh Birthday Challenge
    Manchester
    VLM
    Edinburgh
    Twilight
    Richmond
    Thames Meander x 2
    Toronto

Looking to book others such as Athens

Holding fire on the New Zealand and Australia ones yet
    Will be doing a few extra halves to make up for it
  • Harmander, that is still quite a busy schedule, however if you needed any more, both Traviss and Rik are doing 20 in 20 this year.

Just another 5 this morning at 8.45 pace, will slow it down for a longer one tomorrow.

YTD = 10
  • Beautiful sunny morning, LSR at my favorite desert park. No one around, just squirrels and birds. Didn't see any snakes today.

20.06 miles

YTD 54.47 miles

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    I am in awe of many people here, I am just trying to reach the start line of my first marathon! 

12.6 miles this morning, treadmill with intervals. Dubai runner at this stage.of winter I am quite envious of the word sunny.

YTD: 37.91 miles
  • TT, was only 24 degrees. A few beers by the pool now...
  • TT - yes, everyone is brilliant here, except me, I am mad.
    David Charman, yes I know, might do a couple of Traviss's as stocking fillers - Riks is difficult for me to get to as I don't drive so only go when my mates go.
    When we have our clubhouse built we will be inviting Traviss and Rik to organise both their 20x20 from our clubhouse and add another 10 in 9 to get 50 marathons in 49 days.
    10.48 miles on the flat with the young lady I am training for the VLM today - it was her longest run - has to juggle mummy duties with the training.
    Chest injury getting better - slowly
    YTD = 53.55 miles (for the week too)
    Dubai Runner, you are the lead man
  • TT, you are in good company here, with some amazing runners, so you will be fine and soon have a few under the belt.
    Harmander, 50 in 49 now that sounds nuts, l will hopefully make a couple of each, just hope Traviss doesn't use the lighting bolt every day, it is a shame the coastal ones are so far away, l enjoy the locations but they are 110 miles away, just a bit far.

• One a day for 48 and two on the last day with one hour break.
    Agree I hate the lightening bolt but love the 177 route
  • Donnie, interesting - you could definitely go quicker based off your half and 10K times (given I ran a 3:57 marathon off a (just under) 1:53 half).

TT, welcome. Which marathon are you doing?

Harmander, glad you are feeling a bit better. Might see you in Manchester, then, though if you're pacing 5+ hours I'll be further up the pens. How about Valencia in December?

Didn't feel great yesterday so rested, but got out at 5 for a 14 miler today (had to go early - Sky engineer is booked and can show up any time from 8am onwards).

YTD: 46
  • Cal, nice mileage building already.

So a gentle half for me this morning in a slow 2.14.58

YTD = 23.1
  • Harmander, I'm sure you'll be in the lead before long, maybe even by the end of the day.

Recovery run this morning, 4.6 miles

YTD 59.07 miles

• Day off work for me sorting out a small issue of a Tree being cut down falling onto daughters car...we now own the most valuable 55 plate Kia picanto in the country.
    That all sorted so got out for 8 mile muddy coast path run before the rain arrived.
    27 miles YTD 
  • Hobie, Oops! I remember being on the farm whilst my dad was cutting down a big Oak, he had a mate in the tractor as the tree was roped, except his mate stalled the tractor and the tree went through the barn, this was 35 years ago, so funny now, but plenty of choice words said at the time :D
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Already a bit of jostling for the front! Good to see so many in good form!
    Gipfel... Hope your recovery is going well. Agree with you about rest days being more dangerous; managed to fall out of the side door, onto concrete, on Monday! Only two small steps for man.....! And we've only lived here for 30 years! Still don't really know what happened, but I've got a couple of sore hands and a scab on one knee. Brings back some memories from last April!
    Cal... Bournemouth is my local parkrun; hoping some of those NY resolutions become less resolute, and we get numbers down to a more appropriate crowd for the course. Well done on today's 14'; you are looking good again this year.
    Dubai...a 20' run already. Great. (What pace are you running that distance, in training?)
    Harmander... Good to see that your running is going well; recovery must be positive.
    DavidC... I love an easy Half, but often get carried away with a challenge of some sort!
    Hobie... sorry to hear about the car...at least it was not occupied.

Gave myself an extra off-day due to bruised knee but really enjoyed my double-loop run this morning (12') achieving the neg. split that I wanted (57:45/57:25)
    YTD:33'.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: interesting observation about my marathon time based on my 10k and HMs last year. To some extent I was solely focused on sub 4, broke the run into 4x10k and a little bit, set a schdule and stuck to it. I had a little left but not to much. However I do lack volume in my annual mileage which probably holds back my marathon times compared to HM and 10ks

Ytd: 21.4
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Nice 20 miler Dubai,racking the mileage up already.

Nice targets Donnie,I'm sure they're more than doable.

Hope you're ok MrM2,you do seem to be accident prone!

Good to see you getting out David.

I've booked a place for the Rhyl 10 miler next month,that'll be my first 10 mile race.

6.01 - 5.1

8.01 - 6.15

YTD - 33.55

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the warm welcome, this is similar to my running club except virtual, friendly with a little bit of gentle competition!

Intervals sandwich this morning, 10.48 miles in total. HM on Sunday, hopefully the winds will be less than forecast, could be the best negative split ever given the orientation of the race!

YTD:48.39
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    MrM2, that sounds painful - it is amazing (annoying) how these things can happen and we don't even know how! Hope you're not too sore. I'm doing ok, thanks - but recovery is going very slowly, and running is a while off yet - will wait till I can walk properly first! Saw physio yesterday, which I hoped would cheer me up as he's usually quite positive, but his reaction to the idea of my upcoming marathon was not as good as I was hoping for - the phrase 'a slim chance' was used. Still, my foot is definitely a touch less swollen today - I am (tragically) taking photos each day to obsess over progress!

Good mileage from everyone already - amazing to see some on 50-ish! JD1, I'll be interested to hear how the Rhyl 10 goes - have done a few races from the same organiser, and they tend to be good. It should be very flat in any case, and fast if the wind is favourable!

YTD: 0 :s (unless doing a 5k in a dream last night counts? It's the second running-related dream I've had this week - can tell I'm missing it!)
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Gipfel... 'slim chance' is not very encouraging! Hope that you see some real running soon...not just in dreams!
    Sorry, should have used the word 'anticipate' rather than 'hope' about people and their NY fitness resolutions. Of course I want to see more people involved in what we all enjoy so much. Parkruns certainly have become 'victims of their own success' and who knows how things will move forward? What about some regulars dropping out to make way for more beginners? Controversial?
  • Gipfel, sorry to hear you're still injured.

MrM2 I ran 10.23 pace. Not fast but this year is not about speed, it's about staying healthy for the ultras. 
  • Hobie, that's a very big oops! Hope insurance covers it!

Gipfel - I always dream about running when I'm injured. Sucks. Hope you are able to return to it soon.

David, nice half. I can never just run 13 miles either - I always have to add that .1. :D

TT, good luck, which one are you doing?

MrM2 - that's the problem with parkruns - it's not a race so you can't limit the number of people who turn up. My local (Tooting) gets two to three times the number it can handle, which is why I go elsewhere now.
    Good job on the neg split - sounds like your knee is feeling better.

Donnie - upping my mileage has made the biggest difference to me, I think. I also think I'm probably better suited to endurance as I have a short, low stride and high cadence, which makes me efficient but not particularly fast.

10 miles with 4 at LT pace today. Definitely tough - I had to force myself to do my cool-down mile as I just wanted to walk by that point!

YTD: 56
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I am doing the Brass monkey HM in York. Always well organised, and strongly supported by local runners.

Aiming for the Seville marathon on the assumption that if it all goes wrong at least I can have a good weekend away!

I too dream about running when I am injured, I also am sure that when I am injured everyone else is running, I never see as many runners when I am running as I do when I am injured. Gipfel I hope you are back soon. 
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    TT: enjoy York on Sunday. You must have got a riggle on to book that event, sells out super quick. Always think about doing it, never have. 
  • TT, best of luck for Sunday, we look forward to the race report.
    Cal, of course you have to add the .1, it can't just be us 😆 I am planning to do one a week this year as my long run minimum distance, l usually run them in about 2 hours when training, but apparently it is good to slow it down occasionally, so they say, whoever they are!
  • Good luck TT.

6.44 miles today

YTD 65.51 miles