The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai: I've never lived aboard although I've travelled fairly extensively. Never really fancied the middle east, but Hong Kong, I can see why you'd want to live there for a while. 

Run yesterday morning, beautiful conditions, and very happy with 8.3 at just over 8 mpm. 

Ytd: 568.8
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Hideous 12 mile run yesterday, guess I was dehydrated and it was flipping hot (for around here)...didn't enjoy it, so anyone running in hot conditions Dubai, you have my respect.
    569 miles YTD 
  • Cal,

My garden is 80 feet long and 40 feet wide with concrete paths all around the edges where there are raised flower beds with the centre comprising lawn and the bit closest to the house is crazy paved patio - the distance once around is 45m - SWMBO designed it.

Another 8.08 miles yesterday makes my 
    YTD = 1130.44 miles

The garden total is now 470.63 miles.

Will have reached the 500 miles by the time of Prime Ministers Question Time tomorrow.  Dominic Cummins did 520 miles on his round trip - or if the allegation that he went to Durham twice then he is 90 miles behind my YTD total.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I bet you're relieved about Eid, Dubai. Incidentally, that looks very much like my Vienna Marathon shirt - also an Adidas one, and the same colour.
    TT - doing a few virtual events has helped but the thing that is motivating me more is getting out and exploring a bit, which is more possible due to the quieter roads (although traffic is starting to come back now - the roads are definitely busier now the lockdown has been relaxed a little).

9 miles today. Slightly niggly achilles so looks like I will have to get on top of that. I've been doing a fair bit of yoga but not much strength training so need to sort that.

YTD: 855
  • DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    TT, my wife was a long haul air hostess in the 90s. She had the pleasure of sitting on the jump seat on the flight deck flying into Kai Tak once.

Cal, it's a Dubai marathon t-shirt.

Donnie, the problem with Hong Kong would be the humidity. Will see in a couple of years, if air travel ever gets back to normal.

Short run on the sand yesterday and then up and out shortly after 6am today for a half. We still have a curfew 2200-0600 so that's the earliest I could get out and it was already 33 degrees. But hey I enjoyed it!

26.5 3.05
    27.5 13.28

YTD 778.94 miles

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai: I only flew in to Tai Tak once, 1992, my first time to Asia, we landed at night, we seemed to weave in amongst the high rise buildings, it felt like I was part of a video game. 

5 miles to add, usual route, happy with my efforts. 

Ytd: 573.8
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Dubai, I figured that from the logo. Don't envy you running in the heat - it was 14 degrees here at 6am and that was plenty warm enough for me.
    I've heard about Kai Tak - quite notorious!
    Good work Harmander and Donnie.
    12 very hilly miles today around Streatham Common, neighbouring Norwood Grove and then a little wood I found just down the road that probed to be incredibly steep.

YTD: 867
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And a five mile recovery run today - quite knackered from yesterday (and a bit of strength work I did on Tuesday which has left me sore in places).

YTD: 872
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Up and out this morning, fabulous running weather. 

Cal we too have quieter roads, but they are becoming busier, a lot of farmers are cutting back hedges at the moment!

DR jump seat must have been amazing, it was incredible from a window seat. I think air travel will go back to how it was be it slowly. Too many people travel for work, and not all meetings  can be done virtually.

YTD 574.74
    Well done everyone, great miles being added in tricky conditions. 
    5 miles for me today in work, felt so much better today.
    577 miles YTD 
  • 8.08 miles on Wednesday and today makes my
    YTD = 1146.60 miles.

Nearing the 800 Dubai - congrats in advance. Wonder if Cal will get to 900 before you get to 800? no pressure lol.

507.05 miles completed in the garden yesterday.  Have decided to carry on until I reach 874 miles and then go back to running outside.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's an odd number, Harmander. Good job though!
    Hobie, glad you feel better.
    TT, early morning runs are nice at the moment - a bit cooler this morning. Can't say the same about my afternoon walk - far too many people on the common. Ugh.
  • Cal et al.

How far is it from Land’s End to John O’Groats?

Travelling from Land’s End to John O’Groats will mean you are travelling the whole length of mainland Great Britain from its most southerly point, to its most northerly! But how far is it from Land’s End to John O’Groats?

The distance between Land’s End to John O’Groats all depends on what route you take! The distance is 603 miles (970km) as a straight line between the two locations (as the crow flies). However, if you are looking to complete the journey by car then the shortest distance is 837 miles (1347km) along motorways and minor roads.

But we think the best way to travel between Land’s End and John O’Groats is definitely by bike! The shortest cycling distance between the two points is 874 miles (1,407km) – however this involves many busy roads and isn’t necessarily the safest. Therefore, on our LEJOG challenge. we take an epic 1000 mile (1609 km) journey - in order to stay safe and explore some of the best scenery in the UK!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Aha! OK, that makes sense. :smile:
    8 miles today - 2 as a warm-up, then a hard 5K around Streatham Common, then the same again going home (easy pace to start, but then I did a little sprint to get a Strava segment PR, so, yeah).

YTD: 880

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Easy 6 today - nice morning, not too warm. Saw a heron up close.
    Guess I'll have to do at least 14 tomorrow eh?

YTD: 886
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    I'm way ahead of any annual mileage I've ever been near before. 1153 miles last year was my highest, this year should, all things being equal, go beyond 1200 (100 per month). Days like this never to be seen again which is both good and bad 

Twice around my five mile loop and 8.1 this morning. All run at 5 minutes per km, happy enough. 

Ytd: 591.9
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Indeed, Donnie. I think the lack of racing means no tapering or recovery weeks so mileage is staying a lot more constant. We all need to remember to do cut back weeks, though.

As for me, another new route today - I ran up to Crystal Palace park via Streatham Common, did a lap of the parkrun, looked at the dinosaurs and then went back by a few green spaces I'd seen on the map. Very, very hilly run (Strava said 1,149 feet of climb). I aimed for 14 miles but it turned into 16. Didn't feel too hard, although achilles grumbled, unsurprisingly. I'll have to do some flatter routes next week to give it chance to calm down a bit.

YTD: 902 (also 202 for the month which isn't bad considering I only did 13 the week I was ill).
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander what an amazing aim! Donnie2 it sounds like you are in for an excellent year, maybe an early 2021 race?? Cal you do run on some interesting places, places I look at on maps.

Another beautiful running day up here, much more of this and local farmers will be growing grapes.

Def all back to normal, roads I was running down the middle of now need to be stopped at and crossed. Bunnies however have now taken over nearly all the rugby pitches!

YTD 586.26
  • Good afternoon all. 

Just 3.44 to add to my total, last ran on Thursday. Taking a few days off. Bit of a sore knee and been busy at work so decided a good time to take a break. Working nights the next 2 days so will get out again after that. Lots of swimming at least.

YTD 782.38 miles

• Afternoon everyone,

Dubai, enjoyed the pic, certainly looks warm.

Cal, Great running, well done on the 900 mile mark, the way you are going 1000 tomorrow :D 

Donnie, You seem to be having a very good year - 271 miles in 2 months is a great effort.

MrM2, You also seem to be moving along very well, with great pace at the moment.

TT, Well done on passing the 500 mile mark, more than a month ahead of schedule.

Hobie, It has been warm (obviously not DR warm) hopefully I might be having a go at the 50 miles on the 20th June, however got to get it rubber stamped by the wife first.

As for me, very little running as work has been intense over the last two weeks, with the alarm going at 03.45 with the exception of Bank holiday Monday.
    I am looking to do a virtual 24 hour event on the 20th June which I am looking to do 50 Miles, so should be pretty easy, You need to complete at least 1 mile an hour on the hour, some people are doing 1.1 miles (for a marathon) however I am thinking about 2.1 miles for the 50? we shall see.
    In other news, the accumulator has now finished with around 15 completing the whole month, apparently it is back in July!

24.05.20 - 2.5, took both kids out individually for a late evening Park run
    25.05.20 - 10, was stopped and asked for directions to the local "Vineyard" - at 06.10 ??

YTD = 286.30 (Not going to panic yet)

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Happy 1st June everybody!
    Starting my second week without running, and looking-on enviously at all the running going on in these amazing conditions!!!   Have been trying to self-diagnose my ankle twinges. The nearest match I can come up with is Extensor Tendonitis ? Most of the day I'm not aware of any issues; in fact I have to try to remember which ankle had the problem! Occasionally I get a little reminder, and then nothing. Can feel a little bit like a 'Chinese burn' around the very bottom of the leg (front), and sometimes a little discomfort in last quarter of lower leg, and also a similar discomfort on top of foot. The listed causes don't seem to apply (?) so I'm going to venture a trip to the Physio, soon, to see what the actual problem is.
    Meanwhile I'm coming to terms with being my wife's carer, as her MSA conditions make life difficult. We get out most days for a very slow walk of up to a mile. She wouldn't be safe going out on her own; far too unstable. But life goes on, and we thank God for every day.
    Harmander...still going like a train...(West Coast)
    Cal...Impressed with all your exploring the wilds of London! Congrats on passing 900'!!
    DavidC... Thanks. Yes, everything was heading in the right direction, and then.....
    Your work seems to be getting in the way of a regular running pattern but you still look to do some very challenging events!!
    Happy running. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    MrM2 - could be anterior tib. I've a post tib niggle from the downhills I've done recently - hoping it clears up quickly or I'll have to rein it in a bit.
    MrM, hope that clears up quickly. 
    Great running everyone.
    Nice couple of runs for me, lunch one today was nice, hot on the way out but nicely in the shade of trees on the way back.
    Just waiting for an email back from Pete Bland Sports on gait analysis...new shoes on the horizon. 
    590 miles YTD. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 miles today - post tib was niggly so I'll be monitoring it. May need some days off if it doesn't clear up.

YTD: 908
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    10 miles with some 5K pace intervals today - hard work. Did 5 miles easy, then ran my triangle four times - fast down two roads and recovering up the other. Was going to do it five times but legs were done after four and the niggles were starting to make themselves heard. Jogged the mile or so back home after.

YTD: 918
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Cal: hope you stay injury free, don't over do it. 

Mr MM: given your usual high mileage, the inactivity 

TT: I'm still hopeful that the Yorkshire marathon will go ahead in October. That's my main target for the year. 

Did my 5 mile loop on Sunday and Tuesday evening. Monday was a rest day. Think it's time for another route, stumbling on one that is exactly 5 miles (if I run past my door to the next lamppost) seemed to good to ignore. Its become a post work lock down favourite. 

Ytd: 601.9
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the 600, Donnie!
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 hope your niggles are clearing up? My physio is open, be it under different circumstances, but it might be worth seeing of one near you is? Cal it sounds as if you are still running strong. 

Hobie lunchtime runs sound good. 

Cold and wet this morning, gorgeous running weather!

YTD 595.26
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to say:
    Well done Donnie2 on passing 600'!
    Thanks for the suggestion Cal; I have looked at the possibility of Anterior Impingement... but what would I know? I thought TFL meant Transport for London...?
    Hobie and TT...soon to be passing 600'!
    Happy running everyone. 
    Nice 600 Donnie, I'm hoping to get there tomorrow (working from home so might sneak it in).
    TT, guess we'll get there about the same time.
    New shoes on order thanks to Pete Bland Sports...advised same as I set sub 4 hour Marathon Eryri so guess I should have stuck with those.