The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    I think they are saying moved so they don't have to pay out cancellation fees. I might be totally wrong!

There is a marathon round Nottingham Water Sports centre on the 5th December. Anyone done it?? I have high hopes as it looks really small and on private land. 

Well done on that 1300 Harmander. Cal sounds painful. Hobie it's not fraud! One of my Tri club did the same for the bike section of our virtual race, as I planned a run route which had a tail wind I could not complain 😀
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    I'm another effected by the Yorkshire marathon 'cancellation'. Looks like I'll go the whole calendar year without a race. Couple of 10ks planned for Nov / Dec but cant see either going ahead.  

Despite the heat decided to run Tuesday and Wednesday tea time!! Warm, and lets to blunt, sweating like the proverbial pig, but enjoyed 4.1 and 4 miles.

YTD: 865.3 
  • Nice 1300 Harmander, impressive as ever.
    Thanks TT, finishing outside the pub was my greatest success to be honest. Even with my advantage I was still only 11th...quickest beat me by 4 minutes on a flat route.
    7 mile, hot, hilly club run last night.
    833 miles YTD 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, 'the 2020 Yorkshire marathon has been postponed to Sunday 17th October,2021' but I agree, they should have just said 'cancelled'.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie2 are you going to look for anything else? I think Boston UK is going ahead. 

Cooler this morning, humid and windy but I'll take that over heat! Nudging ever closer to that 1000 miles. 

YTD 956.24
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed a cooler morning, with a hint of drizzle, for my seafront 10'. Steady outward run then included Strides and efforts on the return. 
    YTD: 1402' .
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Happy Friday to all - what a shame about Yorkshire, but I guess it was to be expected. Glad to see that some smaller races are happening - seeing so many still being cancelled really is depressing! I had a nostalgic half hour yesterday looking back at photos from various race outings over the last two or three years - happy times indeed. My neighbour is a keen runner but absolutely hates races/events, as she finds them stressful - we'd all be finding this easier if we were the same!

I'm currently training as if the Athens Marathon (early November) will go ahead - I'm getting more and more sure that it won't, but I'm enjoying the structured (Hansons) training nonetheless, so I'll carry on for the moment at least. TT, I might look at your Nottingham one as an alternative - it sounds very promising! Was happy with my tempo run yesterday evening - I procrastinated until half 8, but it was worth it, as the temps had dropped by then to the coolest they've felt in several days, so it wasn't too tricky to hit the target pace.  

Harmander, glad to see that you're back running! Hobie, good effort on the 5k, especially on finishing outside the pub - brilliantly planned :D 

YTD 738
  • 6 miles today - 2 mile warm-up, 5K effort, then a 1 mile cool-down. The 5K was my local parkrun course - not actually run it since NYD 2019 although I run on the common all the time. It felt hard and took me 27:39 which is disappointing considering I ran a 24:04 5K mid-June before my groin blew up. I have a lot of work to do if I'm not going to embarrass myself at the 10K in four weeks.

YTD: 1283
  • Good morning all

TT was only away for a few days but was very relaxing. Sorry to hear that Yorkshire has been cancelled. Gipfel I've also looked at Athens, they do say it's going ahead. I'm more concerned about getting stuck outside the UAE as things are so fluid.

Not much running from me, got a friend staying in the spare room with the treadmill. So just 4.52 to report.

YTD 1121.16 miles

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 cool and drizzle sounds perfect!

I hope Athens does go ahead, if one 'big' marathon happens I think more will follow. Interesting that Paris has not given a date for next year.

Cal what's your physio said?

Few more miles in the legs this morning!

YTD 965.28
  • Thank you MrM2, Gipfel,
    Hope you are enjoying the treadmill/road mix Dubai.
    Nearing the 1000 TT
    Cal, was going to ask about your physio too - nearing the 1300 - you will catch up with me soon as I am still only doing 5 miles a day.
    Hobie, let me know the downhill course please - good one (I still prefer uphills as they combine distance with strength).
    Donnie and others looking for a race? our club is set on a socially distanced Dawn To Dusk on 13 December but if anyone was in the VLM, we are organising the Virtual race on our course on 4 October too. See below. The races will follow the parkrun guidelines sent out recently.
    Two more 5 milers since last posting makes my
    YTD = 1312.59 miles (the walking total is now 1342.11 miles)

Great News for VLM 2020 Charity runners from Sikhs In The City (SITC)

Following the devastating news about the Virgin Money London Marathon 2020 having to be cancelled for all but the elite runners, SITC is offering up to 100 runners who had a charity place in the VLM 2020 to take part in a socially distanced virtual marathon on Sunday 4 October 2020.

The certified for accuracy course is a loop of Woodford Bridge Road, Woodford Avenue and Roding Lane South

Start/Finish at junction of Woodford Bridge Road/Roding Lane South (IG4 5PS)

It will start at 10:00 am and finish at 6:00 pm.

There will be a stadium type clock at the start/finish line of each lap (2014m). 21 laps will mean you have completed the full marathon distance.

Runners will follow the socially distancing guidelines sent out by Parkrun recently - so limiting the numbers to 100 runners over the 2.014km route.

Our feeding station will have:

Water, fruit squash drinks, energy drinks, energy gels, salty nibbles (crisps etc.), sweets, fresh fruit, biscuits, disposable/single use plastic cups (because of COVID precautions) and smiley volunteers.

All we ask in return is £10/participant to cover our costs - we are a registered charity (1179621) and are trying to raise £425,000 to build our clubhouse. Any additional donations would be greatly appreciated.

To register please make a payment of £10 at the link below but please do not withhold your name:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/fauja-singh-clubhouse-appeal?teamInvite=TxZxXNE8wvXXlGtzoooQZNuXgrs2czy77lNkEj6VIJQw0uJbtYiQG7BTSlMCgkIN

REMEMBER TO SET THE ‘TIP’ TO ZERO BEFORE MAKING THE PAYMENT.

CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES IS SUNDAY 27 SEPTEMBER 2020

Free parking along the route

Hoping to hear from charities who had their runners registered for VLM 2020 and the runners themselves soon.

Harmander Singh

info@sikhsinthecity.org

• What's my physio said about what? The groin thing? It and my other problems all seem to be linked to stiff SI joints which he releases when I go to see him. I just need to keep doing the strength stuff.
  • Yes cal, the groin thing lol.

omg where is my picture gone?
  • Thats funny, Its come back
  • MrM, well done on breaking 1400...impressive work.
    Harmander, around here, hills are just everywhere so trick was just to pick the one that ended on the beach next to the pub...had to go back up to get home.
    Nice friendly 6 miles with newbie runners group last night, brilliant to see people building confidence and enjoying an evening run.
    844 miles YTD 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Hobie. Good to see your group branching out way beyond the 5k. You've done a great job with them.
    Cal...I can see why you were disappointed with the 5k time when you've had much better results recently. Not always able to account for such variations; yesterday my best, single mile effort was 9:15, then today I ran comfortably at that pace for 9'??? 

After another 225' round trip to Oxford, I just wanted to go out and enjoy an easy run. Was going to be happy with 10min/mile pace, but legs had other ideas. The 11' run averaged 9:20/mile. If I ignore the first and last miles, I have 9 miles @ 9:15. Strange.

YTD: 1413' .
  • Morning all, out before 5 to clear the head before a day in the simulator. Hot and humid 4.02 miles.

YTD 1125.18 miles

• 18 very hilly miles today. Pretty good run despite it being humid, but I did manage to fall over again. Skinned knees and shoulder and hurt my hand a bit. I'm such a clumsy oaf. Still, finished strongly so that's good.

YTD: 1301
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    TT: as we've said before, I think our race circuits slightly overlap. You asked about my plans for the remainder of '20 with the Yorkshire marathon now off the calendar. I normal run a couple of 10ks in the late Autumn (perm two from Doncaster, Barnsley, Bolsover and Sheffield Percy Pud), I suspect they'll all fall by the wayside. I have however registered my interest in the Manchester 2021 marathon.  

Out Thurs, Fri and Saturday for 5.0, 4.3 and 5.5. giving YTD 880.1
  • I'm starting to feel some improvement again since hurting my ribs...rather than just managing it.
    Nice, warm one today to round the week up to 35miles.
    850miles YTD
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Cal, on passing 1300'. Nice long run! 
    Had plans to run a brisk half-marathon distance this morning but it was like flogging the proverbial, so settled for a non-brisk 9'.
    YTD: 1422'.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Another 5 yesterday evening. Got wet!!

Ytd: 885.1
  • Donnie, I'm in for Manchester too - should have done it this year but opted to defer to next year rather than run in the Autumn, which ended up getting cancelled anyway. Might see you there. (I expect that Barnsley 10K is hilly, eh? That's where my dad's side of the family come from).

MrM2 - it's good to listen to the old bod.

7 miles today - 6 recovery then some strides in the final mile. Legs were very heavy so it took me a while to get going but the last couple of strides felt decent so I think they did their job.
    My left hand and right arm still aren't recovered from the fall on Sunday where I landed on them but that doesn't impact my running at least. I couldn't do much in the gym yesterday, though - had to settle for glute work with bands.

YTD: 1308
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander that sounds like a good replacement for the VLM, takes away the issue of fueling. Very good of your club to organise it.

Cal are you okay after your fall?

Donnie2 I am pondering Manchester, might be worth registering an interest. One of my Tri club managed a race on Sunday, said it was really well organised, so there is hope.

Hobie good to hear your ribs are recovering, and that you are back on track. 

Yorkshire weather this morning, one minute sunny no wind, another the sea fog rolled in! Finished in glorious sunshine.

YTD 979.55
  • Since passing 1302.59 miles on 11 August, I have done 5 miles a day.

11/8   1302.59
    12/8   1307.59
    13/8   1312.59
    14/9   1317.59
    14/9   1322.59
    15/8   1327.59
    16/8   1332.59
    17/8   1337.59

MrM2, I have been listening to my body (even more than I listen to 'Er Indoors) but feel that although still painful, I think I ought to step up a bit by doing an extra lap (of 2.65 km - 1.62 miles) daily starting in the next couple of days.

As Fauja Singh is still stuck abroad, our club which is organising the Virtual London Marathon on our course on 4 October (detailed earlier) will get Fauja Singh to start the race 'Virtually' by WhatsApp.

Cal, MrM2 and everyone else, you are all most welcome to come and join us.

Our starting arrangements will be each runner will start every second after the one in front to at least be 2 metres apart and then they can socially distance themselves when overtaking.

The single use plastic cups of drinks will help with the COVID precautions - sod the environment for now.  They are meant to be recyclable anyway.
  • That's kind, Harmander, but I'm doing Dorney Marathon that day. That'll be an experience as all the marathons I've done to date have been fairly big (Manchester x 3, Liverpool x 3, Chester, Vienna and Yorkshire) and I've not done laps before (although I've done a 4 lap half). One the one hand, it could be boring, but on the other, it'll be nice seeing the other runners - a few people I know are running.

TT, it was a heavy fall, but I'm fine - arm's improving and the grazes will heal. Pretty certain I haven't fractured my hand - it's not painful enough for that and I can move all my digits just fine so I think it's just badly bruised. I was pretty lucky, all things considered - could have been a lot worse (looking at you, Harmander!)

Talking of accidents, glad your ribs are feeling better, Hobie.
  • Just 2 treadmill runs for me. Been busy.

18.8 3.23
    19.8 3.29 

YTD 1131.7 miles

• We do what we can eh, Dubai?

7 more miles today, but this one included some hill reps on an 8-9% hill in Clapham. I was going to do six but decided to go for a seventh. That last one was quite tough so I figured that was enough and ran back home again. Didn't fall over. :D

YTD: 1315
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal well done, I hope your injuries heal quickly. DR, Cal is right we do what we can, that treadmill seems to be very useful. Are you going for 2021 Comrades?

I too have now expressed an interest in Manchester. 

Fist brick session in 2020, legs remembered what to do, very grateful for that!

YTD 986.65