The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• Did 13.71 miles (there and back to my local park which is 1.27km plus 8 laps of 2.6km) at 2:29 half marathon pace.
    YTD = 161.39 miles (Sorry Cal)
  • Afternoon all.

Dubai marathon today, weather was perfect 19 degrees at the start - 0700 and 22 at the end. Ran easy through the first half in 1.52 and then slowed down. They were offering Pocari sweat - I don't like- and sweets, gels - I don't use, fruit and chocolate. I stuck with just water. 

Decided not to chase a sub4, got that last time I ran it, it was about getting qualifiers for 2 Oceans in Cape Town and Comrades - Pietermaritzburg to Durban - I needed less than 5 for 2 Oceans and less than 4.49 for Comrades. 

So ran the second half more sensibly and finished in 4.04  (and 31 seconds). Happy with that.

2 days ago I'd set my pool heater at 32 degrees and was glad of it, came home, had a swim and feel pretty good.

23.1 2.31
    24.1 26.2

YTD 155.14 miles

• Still behind hop-a-long Harmander!!!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words; still feel like a part-timer when I see the front-runners heading towards their second hundred!
    Cal... all the best for your Half. Make sure you get to the right location!!
    senidM... 15miles sounds like a great distance to run; not too many around? Hope the knee settles down soon.
    Hobie.. all the best for the Team Pursuit.
    Dubai... great that you achieved your qualifying time so comfortably!

An easy 9' on Tues, and a mixed 10' yesterday (including some track work over 400m, 800m and 1600m.....just a bit slower than I wanted!) Not sure about tomorrow; parkrun (to check pace) or another easy 16'.....or both?
    YTD: 123'.

• Evening all,
    Good luck to Cal and Hobie this weekend.
    Well done Dubai, that sounded like an easy run, as they say train hard and race easy.
    MrM2, l would hardly call you a part timer, 123 miles in 24 days is pretty good.

Just another 4 this morning, that thing called work is getting in the way again, off to Frankfurt in the morning, just for the day, it's going to be a long one!

YTD 43.8 ( now that's part time )

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done Dubai,you made that sound very easy.

Good luck Cal and Hobie.

Nice track work MrM2.

24.01- 5.15

YTD - 94.88

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Well done DR, is that for this year's Comrades or 2021? Good luck to Cal and Hobie, I hope the weather is good to you. MrM2 I would say you are doing really well, we are still only in January and you are more than on target for the 1000 miles.

Easy run round Stratford-upon-Avon this morning, lots and lots of cars and quite a few runners on the canal path. 

11.67miles so

YTD: 132.62 miles
  • 4 today - Luton Wardown parkrun preceded by a 1 mile warm-up. Nice parkrun - OK time (25:40 - fastest time of the year but that's not saying much as the others have been mudfests or hilly). Not sure I've got a PB in me tomorrow judging by today, but I had a very mediocre parkrun the day before Kingston when I knocked a minute off my time, so I guess we'll see.

YTD: 165 (Sorry Harmander! :D)
  • Love it Cal, made me chuckle. I was sorry that my total seemed to go past yours unintentionally.  Am glad you are pushing me though - I was getting lazy.  Dubai too.  With some races coming up for others I am going to have to pull my finger out.

Good news about my knee is it is getting better nicely but I still have some trouble breathing deeply suddenly.

Parkrun sandwich of 10.20 miles today makes my 
    YTD = 171.59 miles.

Am aiming for 200 by end of the month
  • Ha ha, I wouldn't expect it any other way, Harmander. I'll be tapering soon and then recovering from Tokyo so you'll be way past me and off into the distance before long.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Yes, DavidC and TT, I guess it's all relative, and my distances are always simply a result of my chosen runs rather that a particular target that must be achieved.
    Cal... decent parkrun; think I would have rested the day before a Half. Hope it goes well; it certainly did last time!
    Harmander... glad to hear that your active recovery is going well!

Decided that it was time for another parkrun 'snapshot', only to get a time that was 4secs. slower than 3 weeks ago! So, with one eye on tomorrow's forecast, decided to go for another 25k (16') Last 3 miles were hard going; under-fed and getting cold, But happy with the o'all pace of 10:21/mile (6:26/km).
    YTD: 142'.
  • Thanks everyone.

MrM2, your mileage is building nicely. Good luck Cal for today. TT this years comrades, off to Cape Town in April for 2 oceans and then Durban in June for comrades. Compromise was sending my wife to Sri Lanka this week for a girls holiday.

Rest day yesterday but felt good, 3.01 today and all good.

YTD 158.15 miles

• MrM2, yes and it is actually doing me good to build up my fitness slowly.

A group of us including a couple of virgin (ok, newbie then) wannabe marathoners did 16.26 miles at 5:30 marathon pace - and we did not have to call an ambulance.
    YTD = 187.85 miles

• MrM2, I always did used to rest before a race, but my parkrun tourism addiction has got the better of me!
    I think that's a compromise we'd all be happy with, Dubai.
    Good work, Harmander - you sound like you're on the mend.

Farnborough went pretty well - I wasn't expecting a PB but hoped to be close to it and tried to keep a steady pace instead of setting out at a suicidal pace as I did at Kingston and then barely hanging on. It was a more undulating course than Kingston so this was the right call, and I felt pretty strong and was able to pull out a fast final mile. Ended up with the exact same time as Kingston, but I'm happy with that as it was an all round better performance.

YTD: 178
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: well done today, sound like a successful outing. Out of interest what was your time? 

Hobie: hope the team pursuit went well, looking forward to a report. 

Since last reporting I've hammered out 4 miles on the gym treadmill, pushing it to achieve 29.55 and a parkrun of slightly under 24 mins. Did a steady 5k on the treadmill today whilst waiting for swimming session to end. I suspect I'm heading for a record January but haven't checked back. 

Ytd: 71.8 + 4 + 3.1 + 3.1 = 82.0

• 1:52:56.
    Well done on a good January, Donnie. Looking more hopeful now eh?
  • Well done Cal, great work.
    I was quite looking forward to my place in the middle of team 2...until I picked up club chairman on the way...he informed me that I'd been promoted to team 1...no pressure then, weather was typical of the area...wet. Loads of teams from all over...decided to give it my best and enjoy it...managed same time as last year 52 mins for 6.7 mile course that has 750ft of climbing. Just happy that none of my teammates managed to catch me although they all ran faster.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Harmader,good to hear you're on the mend.

That's a good compromise Dubai.

Nice racing Hobie.Good time on a tough sounding course.

26.01 - 6.2 - Non timed trail race at Chirk castle,plenty of mud,leg sapping hills,thoroughly enjoyed it.Watch time 47:10.

YTD - 101.08

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander... well done on getting your 'wannabes' safely through 16'!!
    Dubai... glad to hear that all is well after your marathon.
    Cal... Well done on consolidating your Half pb. with an improved execution!
    Donnie2... Glad that you're having a good January; fitting in parkrun, treadmill.....
    Hobie... Well done on your team event.

We have our 'running' daughter with us for a couple of days. She announced, yesterday, that her Monday morning routine usually includes a run at 6am! Well, we settled for 6:30 and enjoyed an 8' run at a 10:04/mile pace.
    YTD: 150'.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    JD1... muddy, hilly, trail run...?   Well done, but I'm not tempted!!.
  • I'm not tempted either JD1

5.58 miles this morning, ultra programme starts next week, 10 weeks to cape Town and 19 to comrades

YTD 163.73 miles

• Good work, Hobie!
    MrM2, good run from you and your daughter. I like to get out early too.
    Not a fan of mud or hills either, but then I'm a Londoner. :D
    Dubai, I'm a little envious of you doing Comrades, though I'm nowhere near ready to do a race of that length. Good luck with the prep.

I was planning on 10 today but it turned into another half marathon, albeit at a very slow pace (more than half an hour slower than I ran on Sunday!). Couple of niggles, so I should probably have stuck to my original plan to do 10 miles, but I got a bit carried away.

YTD:191
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    That's nice running with your daughter,MrM2.

Good luck with your ultra programme Dubai.

28.01 - 8.26
    YTD - 109.34
  • Yes, I am going to copy MrM2 and run with my daughter at the Big Half on 1 March, the missus is meant to run it too but she is claiming a fracture in her foot - will know how that is healing next Monday.
    The newbie did 11 miles this morning but my total was 14.50 miles so I have managed to get to the 200 miles with 3 days to spare.
    YTD = 201.35 miles
  • Well done for cracking 200, Harmander!
  • 8 miles for me today.

YTD: 199
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Well done Harmander, and a late but no less felt well done to Cal and Hobie.

I too am an early morning runner, MrM2, means it is done before the world wakes up.

Went out Sunday morning, after five minutes turned round, Norovirus, lets just say it does exactly what it says on the tin! So that was that for the 20 miler and the following two days of my life.

4.03 miles this morning, just glad to be back out.

YTD: 136.65 miles
  • Thank you TT
    Good to hear that you are back on the road
  • Glad your on the mend TT, Norovirus a distance from home could be messy.

Well done on hitting 200 already Harmander & Cal, Managed to persuade myself to get out today...lunchtime work run club, back on the go again...warmer than I thought it was going to be.

95miles YTD, with run to & from circuits tonight, should get to 100 tomorrow.