The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai... Look forward to hearing about your 'ultra programme'. It's getting serious!
    Cal... Well done on another half, and on the brink of 200'!!
    Harmander... Congrats. on getting through your injuries...and still clocking up 200'!!
    TT... Good to see you out again. Hope that you have fully recovered.
    Hobie... Well done on the lunch time group runs! and just about to pass 100'!

Experimented with some 200m intervals on the treadmill yesterday, over 2 miles. Enough!
    Another early morning (to see daughter off, driving back to Oxford) so got out at 6:40 to repeat the 8' run we did two days ago, but did a double loop (16') on my own. Pleased with the results(Tues. 80:36, Today: 80:01 and 78:50). Must get back to some shorter/faster miles.
    YTD: 168'.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    To the early morning runners, never been able to do this, I like to have something to look forward to. Always been an evening person. 

Well done to the 200 people, great stuff. 

Ytd: 90.1
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Hope you're feeling better TT.

Well done Harmander and Cal for reaching 200.

Well done Hobie on your century.

I prefer running during the day,always find running in the evening a bit of a struggle.

Just 4.32 miles yesterday,but kept it fairly fast.

YTD - 113.66

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words, moving forward!

Cal I would have had to have done another mile if I was on 199, I am in awe of your ability not to do so. DR that is an excellent compromise, I do think you have the better outcome! 

Out this morning, tough, very tough, but done.

12.22 miles

YTD: 148.87
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    TT - ugh! Yes, I don't think I'd have even gone out with that. Hope your 12 miler means you're on the mend now.
    Thanks, Hobie. I was already over according to Garmin, but as most of you know I round down.
    I was hoping for a MLR yesterday but felt run-down and I'm still not awesome today. However, I wanted to finish the month strong so I did 6 miles recovery.

YTD: 205
  • Cal, you are doing yourself out of lots of miles over the year.
    23.69 km = 14.72 miles yesterday makes my 
    YTD = 216.07 miles
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Ytd: 94.1

One month down, how's it going?

Target 1: 1000 for the year. Doing OK, nothing special but good enough. On target.

Target 2: to improve on last year which I think was 1156. On a pro-rata basis, more or less on target. 

Target 3: 1200 for the year. More needed, summer, 3/10.
  • I literally fell asleep typing the above. I've no idea what the final senstance was going to be! Still 94.1. About to jog to parkrun. 
  • Queen Elizabeth parkrun today, which is both hilly (the hilliest I've done) and muddy! Another 32 minuter - third time this year! I'd never run over 30 minutes previously - I blame the mud. Quite enjoyable, though.

YTD: 308
  • Cal,
    Blimey a 103 mile Parkrun?
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie2... Glad you woke up in time for parkrun. Closing in on 100'!!
    Cal... You sure like the parkrun; I'm not keen to test my mud-running skills! How do you plan to pace Tokyo? Would be great to consolidate your sub-4hr but you might just want to enjoy the day?
    Avoided parkrun today, but couldn't resist a run in the sun. The strong SW'ly was going to be a challenge but I decided to try a double (6') loop, and achieve 6min/km o'all. Done, with a couple of seconds to spare. At this point (12') my Garmin froze, and nothing of my extra 0.4' was recorded. Thankfully able to 'unlock' the Garmin without losing the data; just the settings to reinstate.
    YTD: 180'.
  • Thanks MrM2, Donie2,and JD1
    Another 10.19 mile parkrun sandwich makes my
    YTD = 226.26 miles
  • Cal, there is a short (fast forward video) of the Tokyo course on the net - I checked it out before I ran it last year - very few short hills, mainly flat..

It just helped me get my bearings while on the course.
  • Good afternoon all

missed quite a few days of running as been very busy.

31.1 3.04
    2.2 11.6

YTD 178.37 miles

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai... expected to find some evidence of the 'ultra programme' but I know that you're a busy man. Hope that you will be able to juggle things in the coming days.
    Decided to finish off my week with a steady 6' run. Turned out to be slower than I expected, but still happy with my 44' week.
    YTD: 186'.
  • A very slow LSR of 15.33 miles this morning makes my 
    YTD = 241.59 miles
  • Cal: will the parkrun mud ever go away, surely it has to soon. Dry and windy week ahead would help.

Dubai: I dread to think how many miles and how much time would be involved in training for an ultra. Good luck.

Mr MM: are you working towards an event? A spring marathon?

My running weekend was a parkrun in slightly over 24, 5k on the gym treadmill whilst waiting for swimming to end and, as I'm home alone today, a mid morning 9.2  at 8.30 pm. Feel I've worked quite hard. 

94.1 + 3.1 + 3.1 + 9.2 = 109.5
  • Evening,

Firstly, well done to all the 200 mile runners already.

Donnie, a great start to the year for you I also note.

I like Dubai have had a pretty intense couple of weeks at work which has resulted in a very low mileage January, this time last year I had done 120 not 40!

I did enjoy my day in Frankfurt last weekend, even if I left home at 02.10 and didn't walk back in until 22.05, I was lucky enough to be working on the 40th floor of a new building, the views were amazing if a little misty first thing.

In other news, I did a Junior Park run with my lad who is 8 today, hopefully his first of many, we went to our local in Haywards heath, (Cal, they use a different smaller park, just up the road) and he managed to run the whole way in a respectable 14.40 for the 2Km, however worth mentioning the lad who came first, who is only 11 managed a time of 7.40 (Amazing)

Great running from all of you, I am enjoying the posts and hopefully will be adding some mileage shortly.

• David, knowing how hard you work I should point out that I was very busy as my wife was away, although I was working. Who knew mum's did so much?? Even with our housemaid doing all the things around the house, I was up at 0400 to go to work and then had meetings at school for school trips etc, boys are off to Cambodia and Nepal soon on school trips.

MrM2, being a shift worker - air traffic controller - I find most programmes don't work, I work 6 on 4 off but I'm just in from nights and depending how I sleep will depend if I run later. I'm adapting Tim Noakes plan from the Lore of Running. 
    I did consider a coach but reckon after over 30 years of running and racing I prob know what's best for me. My wife suggested I go to yoga with her, but that's a step too far at the minute.

I know I need to increase my mileage this week but with friends arriving from Ireland on Wednesday we will see..

• Oh and David, fantastic running from your son, my son's represent their school at athletics, 400m but have ventured into distance running with 800m!!!! 
  • Donne, I really hope so, it's becoming a challenge to find one that isn't muddy (well, unless I want to repeat one or travel quite a long way).

David, super running from your lad. Yes, there are some very talented juniors out there. I get overtaken by them often!

Dubai, that's a stressful job - I guess you just have to do what you can.

I felt really ropey yesterday so took a rest instead of trying to do 20 miles. Felt a little better today so got 18 done this morning. I figured that was enough - I had to use a boring route with a lot of repetition as most of my long run routes cross the South Circular, which I can just about do early on a Sunday but not so much on a Monday morning when people are heading to work.

Harmander - uh, yes, bit of a typo there. :D

YTD: 226
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Well done to all for even running! DR shift working must be difficult to manage, especially at Dubai, is it not one of the busiest airports? David your son did really well, I think junior parkrun is a fabulous invention, and a really good way to enter running, I hope work has calmed down?

Cal I am in awe that you even cross the South circular on a Sunday! We have two seasons in this part of Yorkshire, dust and mud, we are currently experiencing much mud but not as a much as you at your Parkruns.

Yesterday 1.39 miles (ill again), today 10.55 miles (not ill)

YTD: 160.81
  • TT yep one of the busiest airports in the world, night shift again tonight 2200-0500 and then 4 days off. Hope you're feeling better.

3.12 miles today

YTD 181.49 miles

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your four days off DR. 

Very, very windy this morning, fantastic running with the tailwind, a bit slow going into the headwind.

6.64 miles

YTD: 167.54
  • I actually don't like tailwinds, TT - they unnerve me a bit!

6 miles recovery run this morning - very slow, but legs feel OK.

YTD:232
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    David,well done to your son,always great to see youngsters involved in the sport.Taking my two to athletics training tonight.Hoping you can get some mileage in soon.

Well done on passing 100 Donnie.Plenty of mud over here in north Wales as well.

31.01 - 4.38
    2.02 - 10.1
    3.02 - 8.2
    YTD - 136.34

• Great miles folks.
    Couple of days off for me...working the weekend, and a few weird pains in bits of legs...Sundays Half Marathon in Llanelli has been postponed due to forecast of F9 gale...so out to see what speed I had in legs...5k at 7:15 a mile felt good.
    108 miles YTD 
  • Blimey, that's a hell of a wind. I just saw it's going to be pretty windy for my 10K on Sunday, too - guess I won't be getting a PB, then!

12 today - waited until daylight so it was nice and sunny, though still rather cold. Better than wind, though.

YTD: 244
  • Hobie1495, 7:15 a mile - I would love to do that for one mile nowadays.
    Cal, it could be a tail wind for your race.
    12.10 miles yesterday makes my
    YTD = 253.69 miles - just about on course for my end of year target of 2622 miles
  • Well, Harmander, as I said a few posts up, I don't like tailwinds, they unnerve me and I end up slamming the brakes on. So a strong tailwind would be bad.