Sunday 12th January 2020 Let me play among the stars

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in Training
Morning!

Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like

I may have used these before. Yesterday's moon related lyrics were Bad Moon Rising, Creedence Clearwater Revival.

What: short run, longer fitness suite

Why: did a fair amount by my current standards yesterday
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Quiet today?  

Is it unseasonably warm in the UK at the moment Ale if you are feeling springlike today?

Hope all is going well for LMH at BM.

What: hillyish longish run in a while once the vat of soup has finished blubbling.  (if that is a word?)
    Why: Sunday, nice weather
    Last hard: patience for that but it will be nice to have a meal afterwards without having to do the cooking then
    Last rest: 06.01.

Lyrics: no
  • Have a good run, Hazel. Good idea to have food ready and waiting. My nutrition leaves a lot to be desired :#

Good luck, LMH.

Enjoy the gym, ale.

What: 7 miles on a horribly windy day
    Why: wanted to get out but it wasn't nice. Hamstring still not right
    Last hard: headwind
    Last rest: 3/1
    Lyrics: yes
  • Afternoon!

Hazel: it is horribly wet and windy here; hope LMH didn't get that at Brass Monkey.

Short run and stretches etc d&d. Didn't have a great deal of enthusiasm for either but managed to stay dry.

Off to some sort of oldie runners meet up this afternoon. Will report back!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Quiet on here today

Chick ever since having Lucas my diet has been awful. I'm eating too much and way too many cakes and biscuits (yes Dustin, that is a thing :tongue:)

What: muddy walk followed by lunch and cake
    Why: a nice day for it
    Last hard: staying upright. Luckily my oh had Luke in the sling so I didn't have to worry about him as well!
    Lyrics: nope

Hazel what soup? I've made carrot and squash for tonight.

Lmh how was brass monkey?

Ale have a fun meet up.

Have a lovely evening everyone
  • It is quiet in here today.

Sounds interesting Alehouse. Not too windy for Brass but very, very wet.

Yes, which soup Hazel? I used to make a lot but haven't lately, should get back in to it really whilst I have time.

chicksta - you could make a lot of difference to your recovery if nothing else with a focus on nutrition. What is it that lets you down?

emzap - is that because you're breastfeeding and need a quick fix a lot of the time?

We had lots of heavy rain overnight and there was a lot of flooding on our way to York. Typically it had dried up here and has been dry all day whereas the nearer we got to York the worse the rain got and by the time we had to go out to line up for the start it was pretty torrential. I lined up not only wearing a base layer but also an old jacket, my very first Montane featherlight. Not exactly waterproof any more (if it ever was – I can’t remember) but I had thought I would throw it away at the start. It was so cold and wet when we left the shelter of the stand (the race is at a horse race course) that I did a warm up mile literally to do that, standing still was too cold. Went and stood between the sub 1.30 and sub 1.45 boards and was so cold that I decided to keep the jacket on, after all, I wasn’t racing. The course was flooded most of the way round, deep puddles that covered the whole road or lots of puddles that almost did. It rained most of the time too, I kept thinking it was letting up but then another shower would come through. I had my Garmin under the sleeve as I thought that at some point I’d ditch the jacket but in the end I never did warm up enough to feel the need. In fact it wasn’t until just before the eleven mile marker that I started to feel a bit warm and by then it didn’t seem worth ditching the jacket.  I started my Garmin as I crossed the mats and apart from a quick look as I passed the half way sign (46.46) didn’t look at it until I had crossed the finish. I ran totally to feel and within myself which resulted in mile splits of:

7.04; 7.06; 7.09; 7.08; 7.07; 7.12; 7.06; 6.59; 7.02; 6.56; 6.59; 6.49; 6.38 and the last little bit in 54 seconds (6.56 pace) to give a chip time of 1.32.13. Today this was good enough for third old woman. I decided that a cool down mile was enough in the circumstances - I was keen to head inside to get dry and warm though the rain had stopped by now. Best of all my knees both feel fine though both my hamstrings (right in particular) and right calf feel a bit ouchy. I’m hoping I’ll be able to build for London from here.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Well done LMH
    Cold and windy here (6 feels like 1)
    Swim (370m) 
    Solo slow run this afternoon as XC cancelled.
    Now sat by fire
    Lyrics no
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well done LMH, sounds like some rest or massage is needed

A bit of tourisum yesterday for parkrun at Brockenhurst, a hilly off road course that was certainly playful...

Today managed my first run over the hour for a good few months, but had a few issues on the run as I have also had a few issues generally lately with my MS.... some more obvious than others.

Racing (well plodding) next weekend at Slough Black Park 10k, will be happy with anything in the 52:30 range.....

Take care
  • Thanks OH. Was xc cancelled because of the weather?

Cheers RFJ but you're out of touch - this is me getting back to running.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Lmh yes but honestly I am starving most of the time and crave sugar like it's going out of fashion. I'm trying to cut down but it's so hard at the moment
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    How was your oldie meet-up, ale?

Strong run, LMH. Love a negative split :+1:  and great news regarding the knees. Fingers crossed for a London build-up sans issues.
    My bad nutrition is actually a lack of nutrition due to stress and time constraints. There are simply not enough hours in the day. When I do eat it's healthy stuff, though :) apart from the odd piece of cake :# .

I guess breastfeeding has a lot to answer for, em. Usually or bodies are pretty good at getting us what they need.

Good to see you, RFJ.
  • Well done LMH great result with all the on going knee issue's

I am back from my break I ran every day except today

5.5 miles
    8.5 miles
    9.3 miles
    10.10 yesterday but sadly fell it was pitch dark so only my torch went to see if toilet open so looking for padlock and missed step, and down I went  on right side so battered and bruised and today very sore stiff and achy. but other than that a great time was had andmy best Island training in 2 years.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • chicksta - you can sort this - how about using Monday as a food prep day or trying some of Anita Beans's recipes? You don't have to be veggie (Mark loves lots of them) and they mostly take about 30 minutes, no faffy ingredients and very straightforward.

Sorry to hear about the fall Poppy. Glad you had a good break apart from that.
  • Evening!

Just back from my meet up. Will file a report in due course!

I trust you are pleased with today, LMH! Hope you are in one piece in the morning! I think that is a more than satisfactory result in the circumstances. Onwards and upwards...but please don't rush things. 

Hope that all is ok tomorrow, WP!

I know people who run at Brockenhurst, RFJ, and they say it isn't the easiest!
  • Well done LMH. Solid run with faster finish in not too great conditions considering you prefer warm weather. Glad you are happy with the result and can look foward to building up for London.  And of course that the knees were okay.

The soup: barley broth with lots of veggies and some ham cubes/cream to pepp up the taste.  Swiss recipie but I remember my mum doing a good similar soup.  Takes time to prepare and cook but worth the effort. Guess for GF you would need to replace the barley.  Carrot and squash sounds lovely emzap, squash are great in soups.

Chicksta I can also recommend cooking amounts so that you can eat for more than one day. Or one day's food can be adapted for the next meal in some way. I eat on my own often during the week as OH goes to the canteen and I often can't be bothered to cook for myself every day.

Bit of cake / biscuits won't hurt. I follow the something of everything rule. Healthy and less healthy so no cravings.

Hope you have had a nice meet up Ale.

Bad luck regarding the XC OH.

Well done on the hour plus x RFJ.

Ouch WP. Nice that you had a good break otherwise. Which island were you on, think I might have missed that.

Long run was nice today, warm in the sun cool in the shade. Ran a new route with a long though not overly steep hill to get used to those. Ultra with such isn't until June but why not start on those now. Left foot right foot on flat routes can get boring.
  • This afternoon was a north-west "oldies" get together with a chance to meet up with people, many of whom I haven't seen since the late 70s or early 80s! Most looked in good shape, and certainly in good shape compared to the typical UK population! A question and answers session/interview with the panel: 

Steve Kenyon      Dr. Hill           Geoff Smith          Mike Turner         Mike Freary

An amazing, but humble, bunch of talent! All internationals and all would still be high in the rankings even around 40 or so years on. 
    Kenyon, now age 68: 28:18 10k, 46:43 10 miles, 61.31 half (and the last GB runner to win the Great North Run before Sir Mo), 2:11.40 marathon ("I never ran a decent one"), European Championships.
    Hill (81) 46.44 10 miles (track), 2:09.28 marathon. 3 Olympics. Had quite a chat with him and I fear that he has gone downhill even since our last meeting in October.
    Geoff Smith (66) 3:55 mile, 27:43 10k, 61.39 half, 2:09.08, 2 Olympics. He told us about the difficulty in getting into top class races, even at his standard: he wanted to run two particular Golden League 5 and 10ks: to do that he had to promise to run a 5k and two 10ks on the track in East Germany and then Prague, so running 2 x 5k and 3 x 10k within 20 days, including his 27:43!
    Mike Turner (80) 28:45 on track, track and cross country international, 2nd National XC
    Mike Freary (82) 28:26 10k, 59:59 20k (track), 2nd National XC, international on track and country.
    Several other internationals in the audience as well. All had full time jobs and all ran around 100 miles a week week in week out. Consistency was mentioned a few times. And none of them stretched!