I'm coaching my friend, and he's stuck at 15 minutes continuous running.

Before Christmas, following a slightly adapted couch to 5k scheme, we got him to the point of running for about 20 minutes. He was doing well. He's a large guy (both height and weight) and so he does struggle sometimes with leg pain which i think is coming from the weight.

We seem to have hit a plataeu though in the last 3 weeks. I've been unable to run with him, so he's going on his own, and he just struggles by minute 12/13 and by the time he reaches 15 he's stopped.

I could just put him back a week or two on the couch to 5k plan but i dont know if that'll help. I think the elephant in the room is his weight needs to seriously drop, but he's not taking any advice on that

I've given him some strength exercises (lunges etc) to do on a Monday to get some added strength in his legs, which seemed to be helping at the start.

What would you recommend? He's not a runner, he hates it, but he's committed to doing this and i want to help.

My initial thoughts always lead to training the different energy systems, but at this time I think all we need to work on is getting that endurance built up, which would point me in the direction of just trying to extend the time he runs each week, and building up the miles in his legs.

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i suspect the problem is he hates it. If he doesn't consider he has a weight issue then he isn't in it to lose weight so what's his reason? 

If it's just to be active, perhaps he could find  something he doesnt hate? 
  • > @DT19 said:
    > i suspect the problem is he hates it. If he doesn't consider he has a weight issue then he isn't in it to lose weight so what's his reason? 
    >
    > If it's just to be active, perhaps he could find  something he doesnt hate? 

It's basically a bet he had with a friend that he could get himself fit enough to run a 5k. It started that way, then he got a call from his doctor and now he acknowledges that he needs to lose weight and be healthier - just can't convince him on the eating healthily bit, he wants to do all that himself.
  • He would be better walking for an hour a day till he shifts some timber or maybe walk 10, run 5 times 4.

Have a read of this.

http://runningonaraisin.blogspot.com/2012/01/background.html?m=1
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Dorbs said:

What would you recommend? He's not a runner, he hates it, but he's committed to doing this and i want to help.

Tell him to SLOW DOWN, turn off the watch splits and just press stop at the end  - he'll probably surprise the both of you.