Options

Thursday 6th February 2020 - Money's tight, he's workin' every night

Morning.

Lyrics - Money's tight, he's workin' every night

What:           walk/hopefully a run
Why:            trying to find a way to train for a marathon with an unreliable knee
Last hard:    managing the unreliable knee
Last rest:     5/2

Yesterday's lyrics - New day by Take That.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    Morning!

Lyrics: familiar, so that's no

What: short run d&d

Why: easier running day, plus back was not good in the night.

Safe journey, OH. Train?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    My back has joined yours, ale. It's very tight and uncomfortable. Bah. Just as well I have an appointment with my osteo today (booked it when my leg started to play up and figured it's about time my bones were re-aligned).

Hope you managed to run ok, LMH. What about pool running as an alternative on some days? I know it sucks big time but it allows your body to mimic normal running motion without the impact. A friend of mine trained for the NY marathon by doing only pool running (he had a stress fracture).

What: 6 miles steady
    Why: plan
    Last hard: I reckon there may be a bit of pain involved this afternoon ...
    Last rest: 30/1
    Lyrics: no
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Sorry to hear the back isn't playing fairly Ale, enjoy the rest of the trip.
    LmH - good newsish on yesterday's run. I'm thinking of treating London this year as a "fun" run with no time ambitions. Every time I've run - barring my first - I've pretty much chased a time. I might actually enjoy it!!

What - very easy miles & U11 coaching
    Why - Thursday
    Last Rest - 26/01
    Last hard - Tuesday

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your back Alehouse.

My gym's pool isn't deep enough chicksta. Hope the osteo can sort you out.

Dustin - I love London even when I have a bad run and I've managed to raise over £400 for the Alzheimer's Society so far so I intend to be there and do my best to enjoy it - I'm not going to be in any shape to even think of attempting a PB.

Freezing fog here this morning which is making the prospect of getting out for a run not knowing if my knee is going to hold up even less enticing. It doesn't help that my routes are very limited as I don't want to be too far from home in case I need to stop and walk back.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear the knee and back aren't improving LMH and ale, fingers crossed. Hope yours eases quickly chick.

Dustin - what's the youngest age you coach? I'm trying to get my oldest two interested in running, without forcing it at all (so as not to put them off), but not sure of the best way - they're 5 and 6

Did a little over 9 miles last night, with 6 x 800m on the track in the middle with my club (think it was 3:13 average). Hoping to get out for a few easy miles today

Lyrics no
  • Options
    Morning

Good points made above about doing a marathon for "fun" and/or charity rather than always chasing times.  For me personally it seems to be about feeling that the expense of the race (in particular travel and accomodation) and the amount of effort I will have to put into training anyway don't match up if I don't run for a time.  Hmm - need a change of attitude somewhere.

Freezing fog certainly isn't enticing LMH.  Well done on your charity efforts. 

Not good news on the back Ale.

And ditto Chicksta.  Hope the osteopath can help you this afternoon.  Your friend must have had webbed feet.

Sounds more positive WP.

Did you get out the new shoes Wabo?

What: short recovery
    Why: being sensible to rebuild after last week, ran a decent short MLR yesterday (11 and a bit miles)
    Last mad: signed up to a wine and dine "marathon" yesterday evening being run by quite a few of my Tuesday group in October.  23k, 630m of ascent, 5 course meal with some 10 wines to be tasted to be "run" in 8:40 including stops and an overnight stay.  Need to find a wine intervals training plan quickly!   The others all did the Medoc marathon 2 years ago so they have better practice. 
    Last rest: 03.02.

Lyrics: no
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all

I did get out for a short run in the new shoes hazel.  Don't new shoes feel nice!!
    Hoka one one tracer 2 I got.  It is my third pair but I am sure they are being phased out.
    Dustin I bet you'd enjoy London as a fun one.  
    Lmh glad you're knee did settle. Take care today, I found it frosty on the off road section!!
    Lyrics no
    Hazel have a nice recovery run
    Alehouse sorry your back played up in the night 
    chick hope your appt realigns your bones!!

What: mile frosty this morning,  couple more later
    why: not going too mad because I have that 10 mile cross country saturday
    last hard: this morning
    last rest: 31/12/16
    Put my new shoes on again later, that's a line from a song I am sure!!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    That sounds like a brilliant event, Hazel. When/where is it? Might be something my parkrun posse would be up to ;)

Wow, you still got hold of some Tracers, wabo? I haven't been able to buy any for quite some time now. My last pair are at 500 miles now, so still a bit of life left in them. I phased the other pairs out at 800. I've recently bought a cheap pair of Cavus in the sales. They are pretty similar in terms of fit and weight but their soles look a bit flimsy and I doubt I'll get that much mileage out of them. I wore them twice on the TM and there's already a bit of wear at the heel. I don't even heel-strike so god knows how that happened ...

Nice miles and speed, chamolk.

Freezing fog is nasty, LMH. Did you get a run in? I have the same problem with my gym pool and would have to resort to the public pool which I'd probably do if push came to shove. 

Just spent the most painful hour in a long time. Ouch, ouch, ouch. My previous osteo moved away so I went to a different place, recommended by a friend and boy did the guy go for it. Cue elbows everywhere. He hit about a handful of super painful trigger points and nearly tore my legs out of the hip sockets. Good news is that my spine is absolutely fine (I was so scared I may have another disc problem). It's all muscular and caused by tight pirformis, tight gluteus medius, tight hamstrings ... so tight everythings basically. My hips were out of kilter too, so he pushed them back where they belong. Amazing. 

• Options
    That sounds like a great race Hazel. I shall join you in the wine training tomorrow evening :-)

Do you have a junior parkrun nearby chamolk? Nice session there. Fortunately my knee felt better running today than it did yesterday which was most welcome.

Hope the pain was worth it chicksta.

Good job it isn't on Sunday Wabo.

I couldn't let a bit of freezing fog stop me going out running given the weather forecast from Saturday afternoon on. As it was my knee wasn't quite as painful today as it was yesterday this did make it difficult not to keep going and get my long run in 'in case' but I was good and followed physio's advice instead.