Options

Shin splints and weeks behind marathon training. Stressing like crazy!

Hello, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have done a marathon before, 4 years ago and I was 30 pounds lighter. I also had a better running base, although not overall fitness. I was pretty slow last time, just about 5 hours 5 mins (with a 10 minute break that I didn't need). I'd like to be 1 second under 5 hours if possible.

I started training just after christmas, as jumped to a 10 mile run, from 10k in October (with shin splints). I had only done a few 10ks and 5ks between then.

So I started the training plan a week or two late compared to last time (earlier marathon). I ran 10 miles and it felt ok. A week later I ran 12 miles. Still ok.

Then I started to develop shin splints. I tried running with them a few times. I tried an 8k, ran about 3k. I did a 10 mile run and they weren't too bad. Then I couldn't do parkrun, I had to walk.

The shin splints started as a general twisting pain in my shins, then developed into a very localised muscular pain when I did the 10 mile, then went back to sort of all over.

So I decided to rest as I realised they weren't going to get better running through them. This was 3 weeks ago. I carried on with other activities, which I have been doing since january, such as spinning, swimming, ballet, yoga, climbing, weights, abs. I am trying to get a better overall fitness and trying to limit the load bearing activities. I also cycle 4 miles everyday.

I went for a run on monday, 4 miles, and my shins were fine. I ran 1 mile yesterday and 2 miles today. MY calves were really tight, but not bad pain.

The problem is I have 53 days left until the marathon and I just don't know what to do. I am stressing about getting shin splints again by trying to do too much too soon, and I realise my running base isn't great. I ran 5k/10k, 10 miles, long run a week last time and that was fine to get me round.

Should I jump back into the training plan at 14 miles this weekend? which gives me 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 20, 12, marathon?

Or start again at 10 miles this weekend? I am worried that I won't be anywhere near my long run? Should I do 14 miles this weekend as a run 10 miles, walk 4 miles basis?

What should me weekly mileage be without going overboard? I ideally want to do 4 miles, 3 miles, 8 miles, 3 miles, long run.

Thank You. I am so stressed.

Comments

• Options
    Hi kjarvo

Shin splints are a real nuisance, as they can really mess up a training plan - they stopped me running my first planned marathon. First thing I'd suggest is to try and relax and stop the stressing - these things are unfortunately part of running, especially when just starting /restarting.

I think I'm doing the paris marathon on the same day you've got your race, so things are certainly getting closer. 

My first bit of advice would be to not force yourself to run it just for the sake of it /because you've paid for it /because you feel you should. When things go wrong in training, sometimes the best option is to decide to not run the race, though no one likes doing this. 

That said, I'm not sure you're quite at that stage yet. 

I'd say go back to a 10 mile run (general advice when several weeks missed is to go back to your previous level , or even less, not to increase) and see how things are. If going ok, then increase long run distance progressively, bearing in mind that shin splints have a tendency to come back if the same conditions that caused them initially are still present. You're planning 6 long runs in 6 weeks, with no cut back week - I suspect this wont work, and you'll need at least one or maybe two shorter long runs. Be prepared to cut runs short if getting sore, or giving up on the marathon if just not going to plan. 

I'd also suggest considering abandoning your time goal, and simply focusing on finishing, with walk breaks as needed.

It's not ideal prep for a marathon, but these things happen. If you finish this one, use it as a learning experience, and see what positives you can take from the training, and what you can learn from/change , and then consider another autumn marathon where you aim to break 5 hours. Maybe even a late spring one, in late May or around then, would give you enough time to prepare. 

Also, check out stretching and exercises for shin splints, check if you're in the right type of shoe, and consider physio or similar to see if there are any biomechanical issues you could work on

Good luck, keep us updated
  • Options
    i eased my shin pain by upping my cadence from 82-87, guess it stopped me heel striking so much, worked for me maybe work for someone else