How is my.training plan

Hello guys first off I'm not training for any race in particular. Theres an 8 mile route I do and i suppose my goal is to do it in 7 min miles or less. (
I'm 26 6ft and about 94kg.

My training routine can be hectic due to work (I work in a job where we do physical exercise in a morning be it a run or circuit training etc)
But in a week on top of my work schedule I do the followinf:

An 8 mile run (going for a decent pace keep my.heart rate 155-160. Theres a long steep hill in the middle which adds about 2 minutes to that particular mile and gets my hr to about 170) my best is 8:24 per mile

2x 8-10 mile slow run ( aim for 9:30 min miles)

A cross country group run (6 miles or so) and if not I'll replace with either a 20-30 minute hard run (maybe hill sprints or fartlek. If not I do another long slow run)

And a treadmill speed session. 5x 1k intervals aiming for 1:30-2 min rest between. Did this at 16kph last time

Is my running routine along the right lines?

Comments

• I did a x country race that was 10k. Managed average pace of 7:06 per mile as a stab at my current level
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi m20177

Well done on the race

Your training schedule looks pretty good to me to be honest, and I think that 10k shows that you'll hit your target fairly soon. Have you recently started doing this weekly plan, or have you already been doing it a while? Looks like 30-40 miles per week, so take care if you've suddenly increased to this level

My main suggestion would be a dedicated tempo run, as your 8 mile/56 minute target is pretty much exactly your tempo pace (depending on who you listen to, there are variations on this). Either your 8 mile run or your 20-30 minute hard run could become a tempo run, starting with a 20 minute section at tempo pace after a warm up. You could put a recent time in to an online calculator to get your tempo paces, I think if you were doing them around 6:40 - 7:10 you'd be pretty close to tempo pace, and be practicing your target pace

You've got a vo2max workout on the treadmill so you maybe wouldn't need the fartleks, but some hills are always useful.

Just a few thoughts, but mainly I think if you keep doing what you're doing you'll hit that target pretty soon