Options

Saturday 22nd February 2020 - Loving you isn't good for me

Morning.

Lyrics - Loving you isn't good for me

A bit of a wet and windy night here - we had to tape the letterbox down to stop it banging! Rain is forecast to stop soon and the wind is going down to gusting in the 30s  so as long as we haven't had more flooding it should be ok for running. Hope those of you who wish to participate in parkrun can find suitable venues.

What:            short and easy
Why:             hoping to run long tomorrow
Last hard:     the weather this winter
Last rest:      20/2

Yesterday's lyrics - Keep The Dream Alive - Oasis.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: easy run around parkrun, plus a few ks

Why: easier in company. May well be wet and windy. Going for the flat tarmac one.

Back later.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning. Sorry for being awol. Not been doing much here. Still ill and just when Lucas was getting better he's got another cold so another sleepless night for us.

Was going to parkrun but combination of still feeling grotty and the weather has put me off!

Hope all are well and not too affected by the flooding.  This is one of my local parkruns.

The river is normally between the trees on the left, the rest is normally a race track...
  • Options
    Good to see you, Emz! Get well! Is that Worcester Pitchcroft?

Pouring here and don't fancy this parkrun one bit. Better get going!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that you're more or less ok emzap. Similar scenes of flooding here and with the heavy rain we've had this morning I'm not sure where I'm going to find to run again, just when things were drying up a little too.

Enjoy your parkrun Alehouse.
  • Options
    Morning again!

Rained until just before the start of parkrun but then the sun came out, to everyone's surprise. Very windy and puddles where there are never puddles, although they were somewhat insignificant compared to Emz's photo.

Felt awful warming up and for the first km. Gradually got going and finished just under 24. Over a minute quicker than last week. Got to be pleased. And I passed the Flying Pig in the last km.
  • Options
    No flooding here but BBC said gails, hail and maybe thunder and that’s just what we got for parkrun today. Tail “walker” but no walkers out today. I accompanied our 85yo regular around - 43m16. It was grim at the end.
    Think that might do me for today.
    Today was hard.
    Yesterday was restful
    lyrics no
  • Options
    Nice progress Alehouse.

That sounds rough OH. Time to light the fire and settle in?

The rain stopped by the time I went out to run but it was gusting 40mph or so and I was nearly blown to a standstill in places. More flooding, more rain forecast, could be swimming tomorrow :-(
  • Options
    My goodness, that photo looks awful. Hope Lucas gets better soon, and you too emzap. Well done on the parkrun time Ale, nice that things are improving. Good job tail walking OH. 

Easy runs Thursday and Friday, then (on what seems to be becoming a tradition) another weather warning for my long run this morning. 20 miles done through fierce wind and hail and rain, with the local parkrun at around mile 12 (22:20). Now the sun is out and the sky is clear and my wife doesn't really believe me about the hail. 47 miles done this week , tempted by 3 easy ones tomorrow - cuy back /easy week coming up in Monday.

Hope you guys get some dry weather soon to let things get back to normal. 
  • Options
    Afternoon!

Well done on the 20 and not least on battling the elements and on the parkrun in the mix, Chamolk! And I would be sure that you can pop out for at least three easy miles tomorrow!

And well done on braving the elements, also, LMH and OH

Quite a pleasant morning here until you get outside and the wind hits you; raining now, inevitably.
  • Options
    Wow, em. That looks nasty. Sorry to hear about you being unwell. Whereabouts in the UK is your parkrun?

Well done on your respective parkruns, ale, OH and chamolk.

How are the knees, LMH? Are you going long tomorrow?

Well I'm glad I ditched the marathon. It was raining cats and dogs when it was supposed to start. And the wind is just horrendous. I sat out the rain and managed 20.35 miles in roughly 3 hours. I had no idea at first where I would be able to run what with the storm. The river near our house prevents routes where I could go out and run home with a tailwind. There are no bridges anywhere near. In the end I opted to drive into work, run to parkrun and do the course countless times. It's in town and a little bit more sheltered than any option I have at home. Boring but it's done. I had a couple of walk breaks when the gusts were too severe but glad I got something in and wasn't rained on.
  • Options
    Well done on getting your long runs done chamolk and chicksta.

Unfortunately despite keeping it short this morning my knees are not currently very happy. I'm hoping they'll settle down overnight as I would like to go long tomorrow there where I'll be able to do that I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Well "parkrun" Chick: nicely toughed out.

Hope the knees ease overnight, LMH. Wonder if the Leicestershire Half will be weather affected. Did you think of doing it?
  • Options
    Evening

Good to see you check in emzap, get well soon.  That is one big dirty puddle.  

Uff that is windy again LMH.  I admit to giggling about the letterbox - sorry - but that actually would have annoyed me no end.  Would it not be an option for you as well to go elsewhere to run to avoid the flooding?

A minute improvement over 5k seems to be a good result to me too Ale - well done - especially if you were feeling awful initially.  

Good suggestion from LMH OH.  

Well done on the 20 Chamolk - especially considering the conditions and with a swift parkrun in the middle. 

Don't think I would fancy that marathon in that wind either Chicksta - I assume you didn't go?  20 miles on the TM sounds pretty grim however also!

Hope you managed to get to a parkrun Wabo.

Hope Dustin got on well at the Nationals and is back to cake and biscuits today.  

Tried out the breathing techniques yesterday but fortunately I was tired enough anyway to drop off quickly and the thoughts left me in peace (after a couple of stern "No" which sometimes helps)

What: 6.4 recoveryish (bit fast after yesterday's rest day) with 6 x strides
    Why: doing yesterday's run today, 10k tomorrow so nothing faster 
    Last nice to watch: someone else doing strides.  I'm sure my running form doesn't look that good
    Last rest: 21.02.

Lyrics: no
  • Options
    Alehouse - I hated it last year so no but P and Mark's brother S are doing it. Mark entered but has PF so isn't up to the distance.

Hazel - there's nowhere I can drive too that's less affected. Glad you had a better night.
  • Options
    X-post - took to long to write mine..

Well done chicksta - glad you found a way of getting the run done.
  • Options
    Yes, had at the back of my mind that you did it LMH! Was it the surface that was the problem? Can't remember!