Friday 28th February 2020 - Come gather 'round people

Morning.

Lyrics - Come gather 'round people

You might want to declare your independence and control immigration to your island OH!

Hope you can get out for a run today chamolk.

Heavy rain forecast all day for us - and tomorrow it's joined by high winds. This hasn't been an easy winter to marathon train through and things don't look to be getting any better. Hoping my knees will allow at least a short run though I may change my mind once I've been for my walk!

What:           hopefully some easy miles
Why:            marathon training
Last hard:    not developing webbed feet
Last rest:     24/2
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    No definite plans, may have another run-free easy day. Maybe swim.  Male voice choir rehearsal this evening ...
    [BTW I was doing a GP surgery, not having surgery yesterday]
    Last rest yesterday
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Lyrics no

Similar thoughts have been expressed by our medical director, LMH ...

Cinema last night was "The Lighthouse" - nightmare inducing material!
  • Morning!

Lyrics: yes

I was amused by your surgery as well, OH

Hope you get to roam a fair way, LMH!

What: probably just a short run

Why: Fridays are generally easier. And dodging more rain and wind I imagine.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Yesterday's lyrics were Sweet Like Chocolate - Shanks and Bigfoot

What: more resting (I am doing all my physio exercise though)
    Why: still not 100% and want to run tomorrow
    Last hard: not being 100% for so long
    Lyrics: yes

Oh I would take the opportunity!
    Lmh did you make that comment about London in speculation or because it has been suggested?

More rain here.

Have a lovely day
  • Speculation emzap. I guess Paris will have to make the decision first. I should have got yesterday's lyrics. Is this the ankle you're rehabbing still?

I knew what you meant surgery wise OH. Is the choir a new thing?

I definitely won't be going far today Alehouse - did a MLR yesterday, weather is pretty awful, work later and I'm not sure if the knees are going to run or not. They are ok enough after my walk for me to try but I'm not confident. Good luck with the rain dodging - no chance of that here.
  • Morning

I would go for the rain rather than the wind LMH.  I had both yesterday evening but only a short recovery run.

Enjoy the choir rehearsal OH.

Hope you get out for a run tomorrow emzap.

Ditto for today chamolk.

Not sure what the situation in Germany is where I am supposed to be doing a marathon mid-April but the first mass participation sporting event has been cancelled here on orders of the authorities. (an XC skiing marathon with 17k participants, due to 2 kids from Italy holidaying in the region having been tested positive).  There are several positives in various parts of Switzerland now so I guess it is only a question of time before other events follow.  I have a largish local race booked in two weeks time - if that is cancelled it will be annoying but it is just the entry fee.

Have a good day all.  Nearly the weekend.

What: LT run - 6 miles + warm up and cool down planned
    Why: mara training
    Last hard: getting my head around whether there is any point in training for an event at the moment
    Last rest: 25.02.

Lyrics: no

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Lmh, no, birth rehab. Allowed to run but not too much as I'm a bit broken all over!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Had a light snow flurry in London yesterday but avoided rain (mostly) although it was cold last night at training - I know it's all relative!
    What - easy lunchtime miles
    Why - topping up plus plan a long run tomorrow (although Mrs D did mention IKEA - so my long run may well be VERY long, like 36 hours....)
    Last rest - 17/02
    last hard - Tuesday
    Lyric - possibly

Several staff from our other office quarantined yesterday (half term in Northern Italy...)

• Morning,

Missing in action again back is upset so no run Wednesday but ran 3 miles yesterday with it.Slowly healing but taking PK, heat patch and gel.Hamstring is also testing and does not like inclines or hills......

Dustin I would run an ultra distance to avoid Ikea .Never been and hope to die and still say the same thing.

What 4.2 miles
    Why: Testing back and torrential bouncing off the pavement rain.
    Last hard: Back
    Lyrics Maybe

Route was flooded in places one was well over ankles but I turned to come back to avoid it:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • It's difficult isn't it Hazel - as I looked at the heavy rain this morning and the frozen puddles I did wonder quite why I was contemplating going out especially with my knees not 100%...........but I feel better if I run and if London were to be cancelled then I'll still want to be fit for whatever comes next. Hope you had better weather today.

Dustin - are you not forecast the bad weather tomorrow or is it just a better day than Sunday for you to run long? Ikea on a weekend is definitely not for the faint hearted.

Sorry to hear that you still aren't 100% Poppy.

Blimey emzap - it's been a while now hasn't it? I hope you're all fixed soon.

• Choir is one off scratch choir for St David's Day.
    Now for some Welsh Cakes ...
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    LMH: Hope the knees behave. 

And poppy, healing vibes to your back and hamstring.

All this corona virus stuff is making me wonder if my trip to South Africa will be going ahead as planned .... I just read that they altered the route and added another 2k. Doesn't really bother me but I reckon it may be tough for those after a specific time or with the intention to smash the course recored :)

Don't blame you for wanting to avoid IKEA, Dustin. My idea of hell ...

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough still, em. 

I had a bit of a nightmare run yesterday. Decided to run in the evening as it was going to be completely still for once. Run was fab - until I tripped and fell over a dog  :s totally my fault though - I should have just stopped and waited for dog and owner to cross the road rather than deciding to run behind them. The dog was very young and despite being on a leash jumped straight into my path and ended up under my feet. Cue a massively bruised left hip as well as left hand and elbow with a lot less skin than before ... ouch. No huge harm done and to be fair, the guy was totally apologetic, offering insurance details and all. At least my Garmin remained intact so no insurance details required ;)  I managed 3 miles on it this morning but my gait was ever so slightly off so I cut my run short and did stength work instead. I should be ok to run long this weekend, I hope. Although the forecast is totally grim with yet another storm blowing in. Sigh. 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon  all
    lyrics no but Emzap I should have known yesterday
    Emzap - I hope you do run tomorrow, Park run I guess?
    Hazel oh it is a worry if events start to be cancelled, have as good run today
    alehouse enjoy your short run
    LMH hope you managed your run
    chicksta, ouch to the fall, hope no damage done (bad)
    Poppy sorry to hear you have niggles, hope they ease
    dustin indeed it is relative! I avoided rain yesterday too even though it was cold

What: short run later
    why: got up late and going out with schoolies later
    last hard: getting up
    last rest: 31/12/16

Mapped out a nice route last night t hen I got a voice note from a poorly cleo, nanna is there anyway you can bring me pringles... rucksack on, route changed and off I go! The best nanna in the world I was awarded :-)
    Park run at Victoria DOck in the morning and Big half sunday is the plan 

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Someone mentioned Welsh cakes?  Yummm... Now form an orderly queue behind me please..

Pringles would be ok as well Wabo.  Good luck with your weekend race.

Certainly book a last minute Ikea-avoiding ultra Dustin 100+ miles might do the trick.  Maybe you could take on the task of transporting the Welsh cakes from Orkney to here.

Autsch WP and especially Chicksta.  Good the guy dealt with it the way he did and very good your Garmin survived the encounter. 

I should try to distract myself from all the virus stuff.  At least I am currently in decent health, uninjured and am not surrounded by flood water.  All things to be thankful for.
  • Afternoon!

Hasn't stopped raining all day. I waited for the dry window but in the end gave up, put full waterproofs on and got out there. Glad it was a short run day. And yes, Hazel, lots of things to be thankful for! 

Hope you get to parkrun those heading that way. Will be interested to see what you think of Victoria Dock, Wabo: now reckoned to be the quickest course although I don't see how anywhere can be quicker than Dulwich.

Currently debating which one, if any, to do. All will be rather puddly, to say the least. May well just opt for the one at the end of my road although even getting to that will involve a short detour I imagine. Still rain in the forecast every day for the next week or so. I trust that they will have got that wrong!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Oh I am making some Welsh cakes  tomorrow yum.

Chick:I hope you are okay and glad the garmn survived.

Wabo: Best nana award amazing Nana award:-)

Coronovirus has hit Wales and chap whohas it back from Northern Italy 5 miles away! so washing hands more often and told Mr WP no public toilets for me on run will use bushes;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Not good news re coronavirus, WP.
  • They look yummy OH. I wonder if they'd work ok gluten free?

Sorry to hear about your tumble chicksta. Sensible to cut your run short this morning - please be careful at the weekend, better to miss the runs now than do yourself damage and miss more miles.

Hazel - I've decided there's no point in worrying about it. I am going to assume it will happen until I'm told otherwise - our training won't go to waste.

I think Cleo has nana Wabo wrapped around her little finger :-)

Hope you can find somewhere dry to run tomorrow Alehouse - it's looking increasingly unlikely here, rain hasn't let up all day.