Beginner Runner - Need advice :)

Hi!

So I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Currently in the middle of my application process to joining my local fire service, and I’ve just started running. I’m exactly a week in, and today’s run went well by my own personal standards (sucks in everyone else’s eyes haha). <div>
</div><div>I managed to run 2.5 miles in 28 minutes. Which is a big achievement for me, I was just wondering how I can prevent myself from stopping so much? I’ve read that I need to start off slower, but personally when I begin at a slower pace I have less gas in the tank left towards the end. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this, and how I can overcome this?

I’m enjoying running, and I’m up for trying anything to better myself. </div><div>
</div><div>Thanks in advance!

- Josh</div>

Comments

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi Josh and welcome to the forum.

I think possibly the "less gas" may be psychological rather than physical.  I know I feel like I suffer more when I run at a slower pace initially,  but once I get into a rhythm it's fine. 

Have you considered doing couch to 5k (C25K) to build yourself up?
  • ACE_ACE_ ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Guarddog">Guarddog</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hi Josh and welcome to the forum.

I think possibly the "less gas" may be psychological rather than physical.  I know I feel like I suffer more when I run at a slower pace initially,  but once I get into a rhythm it's fine. 

Have you considered doing couch to 5k (C25K) to build yourself up?</div>
    </blockquote>
    Hi, thanks for replying!

I did believe it was psychological, so my first run I tried pushing through it. However it came to a point where I literally almost threw up. Which leads me to believe it’s less psychological and more physical. <div>
    </div><div>I’ve had a look at the couch to 5k programmes, however the point I’m at currently with my running doesn’t fit with the first few weeks. I’m capable of running longer intervals and recovering in less time. So maybe I should look into tailoring it slightly to benefit me? </div><div>
    </div><div>Currently I’m doing 2 “steady runs” over a longer distance. 1 sessions of short distance but faster speed. Then 1 session of interval work. </div><div>
    </div><div>I’ll have a look at the C25K programmes and see how they can help. </div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you!</div>