Options

Heart rate zones (argh!)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hi all, sorry to hijack but I can’t start new threads yet😕. I’m now 6 weeks in to my running (started from scratch) and usually doing 3 to 4 runs a week with a combination of distances as recommended on the Nike Run app. I’m managing to run constantly over the full distance on each run. I bought a chest strap HRM a couple of weeks ago (never even thought of heart rate monitoring at first) and I’m a bit concerned at some of the results. I’m 53 so using the Max heart rate calculation of 220 minus age apparently I shouldn’t exceed 167bpm. Generally I’m OK with Max but a couple of runs I’ve peaked at 175bmp for a short period and I’m concerned I might keel over one day if I keep getting to that level😳. The two highest peaks have been after I get to a reasonable incline (but not overly steep). My average HR over the last couple of weeks runs has been around 155 with an ave pace of around 6min/km. The pace is probably quite pedestrian in reality but I’m still finding it a reasonable challenge (not significantly exerted but I feel like I’m putting decent effort in). Am I expecting too much after just 6 weeks I wonder?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Firstly congrats on starting running, you're obviously enjoying it.  Don't worry about pace at this stage, that will come.   

Training with a heart rate monitor is good as it gives you measurable progress of fitness although it can be frustrating at times having to keep your heart rate down.

You cannot calculate your MHR (max heart rate) with any accuracy using any formula, doing a test is the best way.   Google MHR test, I would advise the hill reps is the best option.   It's not pleasant doing an MHR test but it's over quickly and you don't need to do it again.    I'm sure you'll find your MHR is much higher than your calculations.

Good luck

• Options
    Welcome BR36 and well done on getting out there and running.

As Shades says above it's not really a question of pace and running to HRM is an excellent way of measuring your progress and also ensuring you're not pushing things too hard to begin with. It sounds as if you've got things nicely under control and I wouldn't worry about the peaks. Are you seeing these on the run or when you look at the stats after?
  • Options
    Hi BR 36,
    Very well done on the running, a very good start, I'm 55 and done a MHR test at 162 and added 5 to 168 as I was not sick after the test so.as.advised added another 5 to it, I've started jogging in May of this year after walking, then fast walking, then began to jog, got a HR strap Polar H 10 and a watch to monitor, at the start my HR was going really high on short uphills but as I've gone forward, think I'm a little fitter now, my HR is becoming harder to reach zone 5 on my tempo jogs,  and my Zone 2/days are now settling down where uphills I can keep my HR in zone 2/so I think I'm a little fitter now with my HR slowly lowering at certain paces when jogging.
    As said I'm 55 doing 1 -1 1/2 hour jogs now in zone 2 with around 45 min jogs at tempo pace zone 3/4 and a little in zone 5 but the zone 5 attempts are getting harder now - not sure if its my motivation or not to get onto zone 5 but still sticking with zone 3/4 moderate to high intensity.
    My zone 2 pace has come down to around 12 min/miles now depending on hills on my routes and zone 3/4 pace is around 10:30 or just over min/miles.
    Not sure if these are about average times or not for my age, at 55 I'm not going to break any records but feel great after each jog and can maintain pace now for much longer around 1 hr 30 or so.
    You can use this as a guide to your training but its nice and steady for me with weighloss at 4 1/2 stone now and.now plateaued but pleased so far.
    Paul.
  • Options
    Read through this as I have started paying a bit more attention to my heart rate in general. Running is far from my main sport though, so reluctant to go all in with chest straps and the like; I get that watches are less accurate and reliable, but presumably they are of some use for identifying trends?

I am 34 and my wrist max is around 190 (though rarely, and I rarely reach this level), with a comfortable 5k sitting under 140. Resting shows as something under 60 depending on sleep. I may try the mhr thing, but with the temperature low and as a new asthma sufferer I am wary. Numbers seem okay to me, and I have noticed my heart rate decreasing for equivalent runs which seems intuitive.

In general though, what is the advantage of training to HR as opposed to distance or pace?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    drl - if you're going to do HR training it's pointless with a wrist HRM, they are only accurate at rest.

The advantage of HR training is that you train at the correct effort for your ability and level of fitness, it will give you a strong aerobic system.   By distance does not take into consideration the correct effort required.   By pace can be used but needs to be calculated carefully and conditions such as heat and strong headwinds means that if maintaining that pace in tougher conditions means you're training too fast.

If you read up on base training you'll see the opinions of the effectiveness of HR training.
  • Options
    Thanks shades. Possibly a bit involved for me at the moment as running is not my main sport and I am still seeing progress (albeit not quite in my target areas). 

If I do decide to throw in a cheeky marathon or something (had never really appealed before) I may well look at a proper monitor and training regime. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If running is not your main sport then you're right not to do the HR training as it would be too much of a faff.

However if your main sport is not endurance based then with the running that you're doing you should over time notice your resting heart rate start to reduce.   That's a sign of improving aerobic fitness.
  • Options
    ukairdates.com/
  • Options
    Hi,
    Similar to BR36, thought best to just build onto this thread as my question is on same theme - am new to the forum today to ask this question specifically so I hope its ok to just build on this thread.
    I'm 52, what I'd call an intermittent runner - 1-3. times a week. Main runs are 5-6K on a weekend either one or two ~5k runs. I bought a HR monitor (chest) recently and am now a bit confused with the results. I can happily run a 5k in ~24 mins but with this HR monitor and a bit of google I learned:
    1) Theoretical HRMax in ~168 (220-52)
    2) Cardiac drift - after about 8mins I get a bit of a sweat on, HR at ~140 or so at the end of 5km I am at ~166bpm - ie just under my max HR. I added more liquids but no difference really. Overall, I feel totally fine after this 5K, no heavy breathing or fatigue - after 6km at this pace am getting more ready to stop.
    3) I slowed down the pace to 30min for a 5k but HR does same thing. I then tried 12mph for 20mins but still most of the run is in 'Zone 5'.
    I feel absolutely fine running 24min 5k without any heart monitor. But now I have the heart monitor (and google) I see I am effectively in zone 5 for pretty much most of the 5k which of course makes you paranoid your going to pop something but meanwhile I feel totally fine (vs the theory of only doing zone 5 for a few mins). I tried running 5km slow enough to keep heart rate down but I can walk faster and therefore it felt a bit pointless.
    So my question - is this a sign I am just a bit unfit and just need to build up runs at a slower pace over time or should I just ignore the HR monitor and stick to my 24min 5k pace and listen to my body instead?
    My intent is not about speed, races or anything like that - its just to keep fit as I age - simple as that - a runner friend died recently mid run - he was mid-50's hence a bit of paranoia from me on heart health also perhaps - either way, its timely for me to reset any habits if I am over stressing my system.
    Any advice much appreciated thanks.
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    HR monitor questions are a forum regular, before you can make any real sense of the data you need to know your actual, not theoretical, Max HR!!!!!!

The 220 minus your age is of no real relevance if you're trying to run within HR zones, you need to find the actual max, and there's lots of stuff on the net to tell you how to do that.

For myself it was a 5x 400m hill run session at max pace which gave me something like 200+ @ 50years old. Even now 20+ years on I can regularly go over my theoretical max (148) on even steady training runs, but that's only using a garmin wrist monitor so I pay no attention to it as they're notoriously unreliable.
  • Options
    Hi. I am just new to the forum. This discussion of heart rate is very helpful. I am 62, but I have been a runner - to some limited extent - for most of my life. My resting heart rate c. 55 bpm. I have been a bit alarmed to find that a comfortable 8k run has my heart rate recorded in the region 150-170 for nearly all the run (average 156 say), whereas the rule of thumb maximum for an elderly sort like me is about 160. Am I on the edge of death? I guess the reply might be to say that wrist monitors are not to be trusted, though my own pulse count confirms a similar rate. It would be reassuring to know if there were plenty similarly senior runners who thrived running in the same heart rate zones on a comfortable run. Are there such people out there?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    MJT99 - there is no rule of thumb for MHR.   As long as your health is OK do an MHR test, it's likely that your MHR is much higher than any formula will calculate.   If you're going to use a heart rate monitor for training you will need a chest strap though.
  • Options
    Thanks Shades. If I do a proper MHR test I am sure it will come out significantly higher than my steady pace pulse rate. But I am not planning to start heart zone training, so on reflection I suppose I am just seeking reassurance that running at 155-170 bpm - and feeling comfortable - is not unusual or worrying for a 62 year old male.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I would say is that 155-170 is high even if your MHR is as high as 200.  But your wrist monitor isn't accurate so pointless to use it for anything more than resting heart rate.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I'm coming 56 this year and have been jogging since May last year, I use a Polar M430 watch and a Polar H10 Heart rate chest strap.  My max HR is around 168, I done a test early on with 4 hill repeats, got it up to 163 and added 5 beats coz I wasn't sick, think ive done this max test correctly.
     I got the book 80/20 running by Matt Fitzgerald and had a good read of that.
    set my threshold HR according to the book and have set my 5 zones according to the book, so far so good!!!
    Checked my MAF 180 Formula, Came out as 105 - 115 which is the top of my  Zone 1 (64 - 68%) pace around 14 min/miles, just switched back to easy zone 1 jogs for 3 days and 1 up tempo jog, so the most of my HR is at 115 or near enough.
    My up tempo days I just put the HR monitor on and dont set a zone lock so I can be free just to Jog at an increased effort (pace is around 10 - 11 min/miles), this effort put me in Zone 5 for a lot of the time but my up tempo Jogs are higher intensity so much shorter - round an hour or so with my Zone 1 Jogs around 1 1/2 to 2 hours - so if I up the intensity, I shorten the duration of the Jog.
    As you can see from this, i aint going to break any records, but my fitness has come on leaps and bounds with my belly now flatening out and I can now see my Pelvis protruding through my skin !!!! - I started up tempo walking last Feb (  a year ago now) doing around an hour a day dropped from 17 1/2 stone to now round 12 1/2 stone - so very pleased, My weight has now steadied, but I'm very happy at this weight now and as long as I can, I will continue - been out this morning for a long en - 9.3 miles in 2 hours and 3 mins, done a fitness test on a regualr basis (I know not the best judge) but gone from below 40 at the start to 54 now - so very pleased.
    Took everything really steady as regards increasing intensity/mileage and have been injury free the whole time - so as you can see I aint breaking any records - this hasnt been the goal for me - but very pleased where Im at now - LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!!!
    Paul.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Paul - that is amazing progress you've made with weight loss and fitness in 9 months.   You sound so happy too, you must be feeling good.
  • Options
    I think this idea that your maximum heart rate its 220 minus you age is wrong, I have a naturally high exercise heart rate. When I was 28 ish my heart rate would frequently reach 205 when pushing myself. Now 40 a light run running at 7"15 per km my heart rate is up to 165bpm, If I push myself easily 180. I concider myself fairly fit as I can easily run 25 mins. I used to run over 2hrs when I was 28
  • Options
    Hi Shades, Yes thank you, still going out for my jogs and doing well, just trying the Maf again, got a little bored of it last time, but will try to perservere with it now, just mixing my HR zones up from different days and am now trying to keep my HR at 115 or very near to it and doing well, as said, I aint going to break any records but find the exercise very theraputic once over the initial shock to the body at first.

Hi Globularity, great, I think as time ticks on we all get used to different distance and different intensity with the workouts but I think the main point is to keep at it, weather has not been too good as of late but just enjoy the days off whilst its tipping down with rain and snow, just looking forward to the next clear day when i can get back out after the rain/snow.

Been injury free as well and been at it nearly 12 months now, I started fast walking last February and jogging by May so looking back it was hard at first, but now, not even out of breath most of the time for my Zone 1 days and my body is reacting well to the higher intensity/shorter jogs now when I do get out of breath Hi Hi.
    Paul.
  • Options
    I just clocked 192 bpm (a good song came on during a run so I went fast).  I know this is accurate as I was wearing a polar chest strap. 
  • Options
    MJT99MJT99 ✭✭
    Well, I bought a chest monitor, and it seems to completely agree with my wrist monitor! A steady run has my heart rate 150-165, and a gentle incline pushes it to 170, and up to 180 on a steep incline and working hard. I am 62. It all feels very comfortable and mainly aerobic. I don't need an accurate heart rate to support zonal workouts, I just want to keep running without worrying! As Globularity says, the Heart Rate formula doesn't really help. But it is good to know other people are working well out of the range.
  • Options
    Hi MTJ99,
    Very well done, I think the chest monitors are the best for accuracy but can be a little uncomfortable, mines not too bad and got used to wearing it now, I lost the most of my 5 stone just fast walking but just graduated up to Jogging now, nearly been at it a year now and really enjoying it.

I got the book 80/20 running by Matt fitzgerald and set my HR Zones from there, my Zone 1 ( with 1 - 1 1/2 Hour duration, 5,6, and 7 mile length) is 62% to 68% and try all my easy days doing just Zone 1, but add a few Zone 2 Joggs in just for good measure over the course of a few weeks and do 3 Zone1 days and 1 zone 3 - 4 - 5 day then repeat 3 zone 1 days but with less time (45 mins to an hour 5 - 6 miles) spend in the higher Zones.  Also add in a few fast walk days doing around 6 Miles as well so mixing it up alot.

Hope you get on well with your time spent on your runs but do take it easy, Ive done this not worrying about pace and time and have been injury free doing it this way - so all good.
    Take care Keep Safe - Paul.

• Options
    the idea behind 220 minus age came from a very generalized study where they took thousands of people and came up with an average formula that kind of fit most people. Results represented a bell curve, as you might expect - some people had a very high max HR, some very low max HR and many in between.

https://theathleteblog.com/calculate-maximum-heart-rate/

Since then there were quite a few other formulas that controlled for different variables. In particular, I found this one to provide a generally more accurate number - 211 – 0.64 x Age. But estimating should be just the first step. From there you'd calculate zones (preferably, by using a Karvonen formula) - you can use this calculator https://theathleteblog.com/heart-rate-zone-calculator/

Once the zones are calculated, you can validate those based on perceived exertion or eventually doing a functional threshold test (40-45min all-out effort). If the average HR for that test would lie somewhere in the middle of Zone 4, then you'll know that the zones are correct. If not, adjust the theoretical max HR in the calculator for the zones to match with your functional threshold test.

When it comes to max HR, it doesn't really matter for most athletes what exactly it is. In fact, for someone who is new to training a MHR test will not yield the right value, because the body will start shutting down earlier than one would achieve his/her true max value. All you need to know is where are your Zones 2-3-4, because that's where you'll be doing most of the training. High Zone 4 and Zone 5 training is best done by pace or power - heart rate would be very skewed at shorter efforts, because it doesn't climb up as quickly.