Options

Comrades 2021

Comments

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Go Snail :) When is that?

Had to google MAMIL Stan :D this guys missus is not impressed...

All the more reason to do it I say :D
  • Options
    Go Snail! I've not entered as I'm booked in for Viking 100 that weekend - although my coach thinks that 3 weeks before Comrades is too short for recovering from a 100, and he may be right...
  • Options
    Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Lowrez - have you really never heard the term MAMIL :D That woman doesn't look very dressed for cycling!!

NDW50 is 22nd May. I wanted to do it this year for training but it sold out in 3 hours

Debra - I'm sure you'll make the right decision. Depends what your goals are.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Has it sold out equally as fast this year SS?

Think my "tendency" to dress as women has blindsided me on the MAMIL SS, truly never tripped over it until now :) when did they emerge?

Why do I feel the need to go get some black nail polish and a red dress??? I must run as WoMAMIL in an upcoming race!

PS the replacement kilt arrived, so my bottom is  back under cover!
  • Options
    Snail: I just had to look up 'MAMIL' - I'd not come across the acronym before.
    Re NDW50 vs Viking 100: I'm really not sure. I'm -hoping- I can get my endurance and recovery to the point that I can trot Viking 100 in sub-24 and recover well enough to go sub-10-hours at Comrades. But it might all come horribly crashing down. Horrible decision paralysis - although NDW50 may well be sold out by now, making it a non-decision. I can always drop down from Viking 100 to the 'Challenge' on the day.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    How far is "The Challenge" DB? What will you be dressing up as?
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Another one for not knowing MAMIL. Now that I know, I see lots of them everyday when I run!!!!

Debra - I would agree with your coach. Normally the last long run before Comrades is between 5-6 weeks out and even then it's probably around 35 miles. For me anyway, running 100 miles beats up your body so much, even if you think you are only "trotting". I would say you need to decide which is your A goal and then let the other events fall around them as training.

Of course, that assumes the event is actually going ahead.....fingers crossed..
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    And next May can't possibly be as hot as this year, I hope!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Stan - I just watched a Ted Talk (in between Barkley Marathon, Western States and Hard Rock videos) we need to get a load of livestock and get them to piss and shit on the deserts and global warming will be reversed as it will stimulate greenery which will induct tonsa carbon outa that there atmosphere, we'll need to keep a cycle going though of that happening year on year, if we don't, it will be hotter next year - ha ha ha (that's meant to be an evil laugh)
  • Options
    See what an educational thread this is  :)

Not sold out as fast as the race is still open.

Debra - I love that you can put trotting, 100 and sub 24hrs all in one sentence!!

Yes lets hope its not as hot although its 'only the 50miles'. The 100 is still August  :)

Do you all think we'll have to do another Comrades qualifier if it goes ahead or will those of us that did one be able to carry it over? 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well I am currently vastly heavier than I used to be, way, way short of being able to run a sub 4:50, so if I was Comrades I'd make me re-qualify :D Oops, do they read this thread? What the hell am I doing (drinking in LA at 26) running virtual London in a month's time at 59 - I know Axl has gone obese, but that's not an excuse to copy him :(
  • Options
    Errr did you actually get round to qualifying this year Lowrez? Weren't you being chased by cancelled events?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Errr, yes, yes I did!

Errr, don't you remember?

At erm... Shnfterwzrygn in 4:36! Yes.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blimey, how can a virtual event sell out? Have had to contact a charity to see if my son can do London!
  • Options
    Eh, are you sure Lowrez. I would have thought the more the more money they make to languish in their bank account for a while.....

Not that I had any intention of doing it.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Can you give it a google Dubai and see if I am going doolally? Its telling me charity places only, have I got an old link?
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Just checked and yep, can only see charity entries. I guess they only have a fixed number of t shirts and medals to send out to people????
  • Options
    Yes I noticed there was limited entries when I did it. Missing a trick there but yes I guess its to do with t-shirts and medals

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Yes, they had previously said that people who had entered the real event would have priority for places, and it was only after that, that they would put remaining places on the public sale. Like you, don’t really see why they limit it and turn away money!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I assume they could easily get more medals and t-shirts in, lazy arses. Hey! I'm runnin a marathon here buddy, lift yer spindly finger and order some more ya lazy tych!
  • Options
    Yes totally ridiculous. Look at Comrades, over 50K entrants over various distances, all of whom will get a tshirt and medal (well maybe.....)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Maybe it is a charity thing, it's like written into their constitution to do some good for the world... will be interesting to see if these buddies still want £2.5k for the privilege of running round ya house, probably in poring rain, after eating a handful of hot gravel having got up half an hour before you went to bed and being murdered by your parents dancing on ya grave singing hallelujah.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I just accidentally did a 4 mile walk looking for elderberries and I spotted a wild damson tree brimming with fruit so I might go back out again before someone else harvests them, and I even found some edible sloes, they have gone real black on this bush not blue and were very nice instead of sucking your mouth inside out with tartness. Am ramping up the next crops to be processed through the fermentation station...

So, will need to start tapering for London now :D Hic, 'scuse me!
  • Options
    Mmm sloe gin  :)
  • Options
    Blimey lowrez, that loks organised! It's years since I made sloe gin. Might have to see about making some more. I passed a bush brimming with sloes on my run in the Chilterns yesterday, but didn't have any sensible way of carrying them if I picked them...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    It's my daughter who is in charge really. I am enjoying being her forager. Today I only meant to go a few hundred yards to supplement our garden elderberry crop but ended doing a 4 mile loop. It was only towards the end of that when I spied the damsons. Did go back towards dusk and they were just dropping off the tree, so ready to be picked.
    I guess you know that freezing any fruit you gather helps to break down the internal structure and makes any resulting brew richer. In ages gone by before global warming and home freezers  you would wait for the first frost prior to picking some crops, especially sloes, but they would probably be rotting off the bush before that happened these days.
  • Options
    I had never heard of MAMIL either, but now I know I see alot when out running as well.

I entered Portsmouth at Christmas and then a couple of random marathons in October (around Bedford Aerodrome) and then in early December around Goodwood.  Or is the other way around.  With the increases in the number of Covid cases in Portugal I would suspect the IM there is currently unlikely.

Debra I have a friend who did a 100 miler (and won) 2 weeks before Comrades and then did a 7.06 on the day itself.  He's a freak but it is possible; although personally I agree with Marty.

• Options
    Freak out MAMIL

Busy on-line weekend so far.
    - Charity has confirmed my son's entry to Virtual London 2020 - he's out now training (so why aren't I?).
    - Charity has confirmed my entry to London 2021 - Oct 3rd.
    - As a consequence I have elected to take the refund for Barcelona as it runs Nov 7th - given my level of fitness now and current problems I could take a punt at being able to run another a month later but I am erring on the side of caution now and not lining up two that close together.

Hoping to qualify for Comrades 2022 at London 2021 but if I don't I'll have plenty of time to enter another.

Frustrated there was nothing about Comrades 2021 in the recent e-mail they sent; even to just acknowledge they'll stage it if they can. 
  • Options
    Glad your son has an entry. I hope the charities aren't charging quite as much for a virtual event. Probably a sensible idea not having 2 marathons so close together.....but.....you are doing those exercises for your wonky left side aren't you? :/
    Did we just have an email from Comrades?