Options

Comrades 2021

Comments

• Options
    First race of the year signed up for, Ras Al Khaimah half marathon. Being run in waves, and requirement to socially distance and wear a mask for the first 500m.
    Several male sub hour runners taking part as are Sara Hall and Gerda Steyn, doubt I’ll be anywhere near them!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Results of the London Marathon ballot due 8th Feb, if I am unsuccessful I will have priority for a week to enter the virtual version of which there will only be 50,000 places, a week later, if not all taken they will go on general sale, virtual entry fee will be £28.
    I'm not bothered about the virtual as I already have a charity place guaranteed, but if I am lucky in the ballot it will release me from the committment to raise a certain total, I will still collect for them but I will not be a number, I will be a free man :D

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow some great celebs in that half Mr D :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That was the emptiest newsletter ever Debra.
    It ain't gonna run, not for us anyway, 34 elites is my continuing prediction.
    Wish I had ordered a mask now, still awaiting our 3rd medal here.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Daughter of 1owrez has uncovered an unanswered email "From Comrades; If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding, how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat? You! Yes you! Behind the bike sheds! Stand still laddy! Wro-ong, do it again... Wro-ong, do it again... Is there anybody out there?" Obviously they are going a bit doolally. But when I contacted them just now, explaining she ain't had her 5k medal yet, they  said she had not answered the email the school master  sent asking for her address, so, having advised them of that just now they said they'd pop it in the post :)
  • Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    lowrez: glad there's a reason for the delay, and a sortable one at that.
    Wore my T-shirt the other day. Fine for me for cool-weather running, although maybe best not to use it for a speed session, given the feedback from Mark AA. I do like the colour.
    Progression run last night felt much better than last week's - legs beginning to remember this fast running stuff, which is good, as I was starting to worry that maybe I had longer-term overtraining-type damage from doing Halloween 100 only 3 weeks after A100.
  • Options
    I haven't seen the newsletter, but I think I agree with you 1owrez, I can't see thousands of international runners being allowed to travel to South Africa (or back home without quarantining), and I can't see how they can run a Covid compliant event which relies on a mass start and gun time.
    However, Debra, they've just reopened entries for Ridgeway 86, so I've put my name down for that, which means at the moment this year I've got SDW50, Three Forts, Serpent Trail 100K, Ridgeway 86, Chiltern Wonderland 50, and Amsterdam Marathon (optimistically as a qualifier for 2022).
  • Options
    baldstan: that's a nice selection. So far I've resisted entering for Ridgeway 86 this year as it's only 3 weeks after NDW100 - but it's tempting! Three Forts the weekend before TP100... I could, but probably best not to!
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Comrades will not be run in June.  They will run an event this year though, given the anniversary.  It may be a smaller event, almost certainly.  It will be pushed back in the year, irrespective of weather/season.  Comrades. or more accurately Athletics South Africa, will not restrict Internationals - even in their current wave they have not closed International travel this time - they challenge though might be finding an airline to get you there.    I was meant to be there next week - after the airline cancelled flying to SA and despite finding another airline that still does, I decided to listen to the Universe and postpone.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    It's a while ago now but did we not see evidence of the ASA rejecting a CMA application for a shift to September? UK citizens are currently banned from international travel, some have had June flights into SA cancelled by the operator.
    We might all be vaccinated in the UK by end September, but I'm not holding out any hope of running Comrades this year.
  • Options
    lowrez: IF I've been vaccinated and IF it gets moved to that (ASA rejected) September date then I could fit it in, but basically I'm assuming I'll be running SDW100 the weekend of 12-23 June.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I better go for a run soon 😂 what marathons are available for qualifiers? Should I start a list?
  • Options
    It won't be a very long list  :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So that means we will all be on the short list - we've nearly got the job :D
  • Options
    Could be a long list, I think I have 8 or 10 marathon entries for this year, one of which was planned, the rest are all postponements from last year! I’d be a bit surprised if I run any of them! I expect they will either get postponed again or cancelled, or more optimistically they will go ahead, but I’ll have been able to return to China. I think my first one is in March, I’m banking on that being cancelled as I’ve not been doing much running!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Comrades 2021 Qualification (see criteria in tables below)
    Qualification Opens
    (date unknown)
    10Apr
    SDW50 (U) Debra Bourne, baldstan
    02May
    Three Forts (on your shirt) 27 (U) baldstan
    08May
    Thames Path 100 (U) Debra Bourne
    22May
    NDW50 (U) Southern Snail, Debra Bourne(b)
    22May
    Viking 100 (U) Debra Bourne(a)
    29May London 2 Brighton Challenge 100k (U) marty74
    12Jun
    SDW 100 (U) Debra Bourne, Slow Duck
    03Jul
    Serpent Trail 100k (U) baldstan
    10Jul
    Wendover Woods Night 50k (U) Debra Bourne
    07Aug
    NDW100 (U) Debra Bourne, baldstan, Slow Duck(b)
    07Aug
    Jersey Round the Rock 48 (U) marty74
    28Aug
    Ridgeway 86 (U) baldstan, PeterDHM
    01Sep
    Ultra Tour Monte Rosa 170k (U) Slow Duck(a)
    18Sep
    Chiltern Wonderland 50 (U) baldstan
    03Oct
    London (M) 1owrez
    16Oct
    Autumn 100 (U) Debra Bourne
    17Oct
    Amsterdam (M) baldstan
    30 Oct
    Halloween 100 (U) marty74
    13Nov
    Gower (M) Mc Hilly
    Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes (date unknown)
    13Jun
    Comrades (speculative date)

Accommodation
    (Currently booked in speculation of the event proceeding on 13th June 2020)
    City Wok (I mean Lodge) 1owrez

Flights
    Cancelled and unavailable

Qualification Criteria
    Race distances and time limits

Consequent batch allocation

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I believe that is a medium list :D - corrections and additions welcomed :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SD - 01 Sep - Wow! :) Hope it goes ahead.
  • Options
    I’m doing NDW100 but I don’t think baldstan is
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Lazy Stan :D will fix soon :)
  • Options
    Love it, top work lowrez. Cracking collection of long distance races. I just wonder how many of these will actually take place??
  • Options
    UT Monte Rosa sounds wonderful - good luck, SD (both for it happening and on the day).
    I look at this list and realise I don't have much chance of qualifying this year! unless they will take my 23:08 at the A100 last year as qualification...
    marty: I'm not sure, but I'm selfishly hoping all my Centurion 100s go ahead! (And everyone else's races as well, of course).

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Also need to add the McH8 but she needs to advise events and dates :)
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for Monte Rosa - it is probably my favourite race in the alps - absolutely gorgeous scenery but with ridiculously long climbs...

I think the next Presidential Covid update in SA is due on 15 Feb - so I guess we’ll have to wait and see...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You have a 50k amongst your races Debra, potential to qualify with a sub 5:50 if Comrades is shifted. You need to eat plenty of carrots :D
  • Options
    lowrez: on THAT course???!!!  :D:D:D:'( The first and second men came in under 4:50... First woman was 5:59; I was 1st VF50 in 2018 with 7:10!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you will need more than carrots :D Did you also say you were looking to sneak a cheeky little marathon in somewhere?
  • Options
    My half marathon in 16 days has been cancelled and a 55k in March also cancelled. 

But lowrez if you can add me to the qualification list for 2022 hoping the Singapore marathon goes ahead on 5 December. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭