Options

Comrades 2021

Comments

• Options
    Cheers, lowrex. I'll try to get the report finalised tomorrow.
  • Options
    Still chasing my Hilton Cape Town refund, the hotel is now run by Millat hotels so not sure if Hilton Durban will remain in the Hilton portfolio.
  • Options
    Debra, please do send a link as I'd like to read your report.
  • Options
    Dubairunner: sympathies for the continuing non-refund problems.
    I will post a link as soon as I finalise the report - hopefully later today.
  • Options
    (I really need to add the last several that I've not posted yet but wrote for the Striders of Croydon newsletter).

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Super report Debra :) that was a hot day, of course the weather report readings are all taken "in the shade" I won't do a spoiler here on what it actually hit out in the open, or make other references. Tell us about the medal, what are the buildings, is the runner depicted an actual person, and, what are they holding?
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Loved reading that Debra while I consumed my granola for brekky this morning!!!

A question from me now. During the race, did you run to a range of HR values to ensure you didn't expend too much energy. I am assuming you pretty much kept it in the aerobic zone throughout?? Intrigued as hopefully planning for SVN 100 in October (where you will be miles in front of me!!).
  • Options
    lowrez: I've captioned the pics of me and the medal. Thank you for noticing that the caption was missing.
    Marty: I used both HR and perceived effort. In the early stages I tried to keep my HR from going much above 133 - that's my MAF (maximum aerobic function) based on Maffetone's calculation - and certainly to keep it within 'low aerobic (see below*). Looking at my Strava trace, the max HR I reached was 148 during the first big climb after Guildford, at 15.2 miles. Second highest was on another climb at about 42 miles. After that, it never went over 130 - and by that time I was going on 'percieved effort' with my pace being limited by the heat for most of the day and later (in the small hours and beyond, when if finally got cooler) by fatigue. So yes, definitely staying aerobic the whole time.

*My Garmin used to give up to 126 as 'warm up' and to about 136 or 140 (I can't remember) as 'low aerobic' - but has recalculated based on a couple of my runs (a long tempo run and my recent 10K virtual race) to give a lactate threshold of 163, with 106-130 as 'warm up' (Zone 1), with 'low aerobic' (Zone 2) now going to 145 and 'high aerobic (Zone 3) to 155 - then Zone 4 to 163 and Zone 5 to my max recorded HR of 189 - somewhat higher than would be calculated from my age.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Think I must be looking but not seeing Debra - can't find answers to the original questions I posed about the medal in the caption, plus I've thought of a couple more...

- What are the buildings - cathedrals etc - are they mirror images of the same buildings either side of the medal?
    - Is the runner depicted an actual person - you know from history - or is it "just" a depiction of a "centurion"?
    - Is that something special around their neck or is it an emblem on their shirt?
    - Are the rest of their togs special - 7 league boots maybe?
    - What are they holding - I'm assuming a sword - but its not a typical shape - maybe its not a sword?

In the caption you wrote what is the distinction you are making between "100 miles" rather than "100 miles – Finisher"
  • Options
    Great write up Debra, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    lowrez: I totally misunderstood your question! You need to ask Centurion, not me. The building is probably a cathedral we pass??? I think he's holding a short sword.
    I've made the caption clearer: [Me and my NDW100 buckle, outside the Julie Rose Stadium (finish) building**. I still nead to earn one of these saying "100 miles - One Day" rather than "100 miles - Finisher"!] - so the distinction is between One Day and Finisher - if you finish in under 24 hours you get a buckle saying 100 miles - One day.
    (And the other thing I really want to earn is a Centurion 'winner' trophy. I won NDW50 in 2012 (only because it was held the same day as NDW100 and the fast people were running that, but still) - but they only started giving out the trophies (which are amazing) the following year. A bottle of bubbly sitting on the mantlepiece doesn't give the same effect. Alas I doubt I'll win one again - not that I'm not happy with winning my age category of course. That's more than I expected to do at a 100-miler.)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ahh, I wasn't aware of the 24 hour thing. Thanks for explaining.
  • Options
    Dubairunner: glad you liked it.
    Lowrez: ah. One of those things I've known for long enough that I had forgotten not all runners would know it. Thank you for making sure I provided enough information for clarity.
  • Options
    Debra - great write up. I really enjoyed being reminded about the course (without having to run it!). And please say hi to your coach next time you talk to him - I met Neil on the train to the Swiss Irontrail a few years back, really nice bloke, and a great coach too judging by your results!
  • Options
    Dubai - sympathies for your refund taking so long. It really has been ages. They're so naughty.

Debra - that's a great report. You've remembered all the places so well. I just run with no idea where I am. I do remember being offered an ice pop just at the top of Denbies and I remember a bloody awful hill at 31 miles (Reigate Hill?) obviously not the only one!! I remember the horrible field with a track through the middle and the field was just white chalk/stone so the sun reflected off it. You've had an amazing year and the coaching has definitely worked. Keep it up.

Lowrez - yes the 2 different buckles are for those that finish sub 24 hours and another for sub 30 hours. You weren't that far off Debra. Good luck with London. You'll have no problem despite not training and still having left side problems. As you say at least you have a day to do it in.
  • Options
    Slow Duck: thanks. Glad it evoked the memories. And will do.
    Snail, thank you. I've run NDW50 three times and recced for it each time, as well as recceing for NDW100, plus running some of the bits close to me on club marathon training runs, so the first 50 miles I'm pretty familiar with - despite which I had to spend time poring over the maps to remember exactly where some things happened. That field is the one on the Centurion pics of people running through a field with growing crops either side of them. I've also run or walked it with the mud sticking to my shoes and making them weigh three times as much by the top, and when straw stubble was strew over the path and slipping underfoot - so apart from the heat, I felt that it wasn't too bad this time!
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    lowrez and Mch - have just seen that the Barcelona marathon has been cancelled for this year so no worries now about whether to go or not!!! They have also said next year will be on November 7th. Am guessing there will be no spring mass races next year either seeing as London is planned October as well.

Have also read that SA is relaxing all restrictions since president reckons they are over the peak. Still no international travel but they are relaxing travel within SA. Will be interested to see how they get on over the coming months.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Super news Marty, thanks for the update, looks like Comrades is hanging in the balance. Seems Berlin had sight beyond all simply cancelling way out until 2021!
  • Options
    Marty, Mc Hilliy, lowrez: glad the uncertainty is over for you.
    Decisions, decisions: I really want to run Comrades next year if it's on. If I run Comrades and it's held on the usual date then I can't run SDW100, as they are  the same weekend. If I don't run SDW100 I can't go for the Centurion Grand Slam. So, do I enter TP100 (8th May, entries open this Saturday and will sell out quickly, probably) on the basis that it would be good to have done that one and practiced my flat-100 pacing, and accept that I need to run it again if I then decide to do the Grand Slam in 2022?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    The purists amongst us are still pointing out that the CMA have not yet officially declared Jun 13th :)
    I don't think you can underestimate the worth of understanding any ultra route, especially in a trail situation with relatively low numbers of participants. On C2C, field of 27, I was alone from the first half mile onwards and despite extensive map research there were several places on the ground where it was simply a total conundrum which branch to take. I know doing a 100 miler is a vast commitment, but in my mind it would be worth a lot to run it even though the slam might not come to fruition. Next time out would be so much simpler from a navigation angle and you would know what to expect in terms of terrain and elevation.
  • Options
    I seem to have entered another ultra. It's nearly time to taper!!

Whilst I can see the benefits of recceeing(sp)  a route there isn't time to do this one.

Yes they can now buy alcohol and cigarettes again in South Africa  :o
  • Options
    Snail: which ultra? I have CW50 coming up in 4 weeks and no way to recce it, I don't think - it's a long way to Goring. My coach has me running 3-hr runs 'as hilly as I can manage' the next two Sundays; those will have to do for prep and the route will have to be an adventure! Ditto for Autumn100, I fear.
  • Options
    The Fox Ultra in Godalming. I had no intention to run a race but I must be on their emailing list from a few years ago and I just had an email yesterday saying they had some spaces left. I've no idea whether its been postponed or anything really. It's 62K a circular route, 5 aid stations a link to a strava run for the route and thats about all. Not a particularly informative website but it's not far away :)
  • Options
    Snail, that looks nice - website puts it in April so must have been postponed.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Loving the ultra talk. I'm sat here with a recovering shoulder strain, complaining back and side, undertrained, slightly obese, and a marathon to run within 24 hours on 4th Oct, my last training run, the first in 6 weeks  was 2 miles... drama as usual :D
  • Options
    lowrez, sympathies! But hey, you have a whole seven weeks to prepare.
    I've found out what the building on the NDW100 buckle is. It's Canterbury Cathedral.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to pop in here,just some info if anyone is interested,Gerda Steyn is running the mid cheshire 5k on the 28th August,think Lowrez isn't too far from there,not sure on the spectating rules.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ian, I'm not currently joining the celebrating throngs of people eating out at discounted rates etc. Simply staying in original lock-down mode until the whole thing blows over. Not sure I would make the effort under normal circumstances to go see her actually. Even spectating on a marathon course you get a brief few seconds of encounter each time you attempt to spot your intended target and even then you can totally miss if you get the timing wrong. TV is by far the best if the event is broadcast. I see the sub 16:30 elites are running their race half an hour prior to the mere mortals. I bet it will be chaotic for all involved! Kudos to them for staging it though :)
  • Options
    Ian, thanks for the info, although I'm too fare away.
    lowrez: we're doing the same thing, pretty much. I am meeting up with others for runs, but we're in small groups and still keeping at least 1m distance - and we're outside of course, where the transmission risks are much lower. Essential shopping (occasionally a quick look at the books in a charity shop, but those stores are keeping numbers low and providing hand sanitiser). We did have one day out a few weeks ago, which was really good for us psychologically - we went to the London Wetland Centre (Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust centre in Barnes - an amazing wildlife oasis in the middle on London, where the old Barn Elms reservoirs were). That was mostly outside as well (did go in the hides, but there were notices about numbers and those were kept really low).
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Debra, I'm away in Suffolk with my boys at the moment so just now had a chance to sit down and read your fantastic report. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. I could really picture the race from your description, and lots of useful things to remember if I manage to give it a go in the future. Given that the leaders were almost 4 hours slower than normal I'd have bet on you getting well under 24 hours in any other year. Good luck in all your remaining races. Do SVN have a "24 Hours One Day" buckle?
    SS, I got the email about the Fox as well - I think the organisers also do the Hog's Back race so I'm on their mailing list from that - and was really tempted, but being sensible I shouldn't really try that sort of distance until I'm sure my recovery is going well. Could be tempted by the Virtual London Marathon though 1owrez, given I could still watch Kipchoge and Bekele on the telly first and then have the rest of the day to do the miles. Amsterdam due to make an announcement by tomorrow, but given the number of cases in The Netherlands and the need to quarantine I don't think I'd go even if it was to go ahead.