Comrades 2021

Comments

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Amsterdam's announcement today is... that they have postponed the announcement. I know making the right decision means it shouldn't be rushed, but does feel like a bit of Comrades deja-vu. I wonder if they gave the option now to defer to next year whether they could even reduce the field size enough to allow for a socially distanced race to go ahead? Of course the organising costs may mean that's not a viable option. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    London reckoned they went so late in cancelling because they were so close to adopting revolutionary new social distancing tech based on proximity warning so they could safely stage the race, but then R zoomed over 1 in Yorkshire and Lancashire which scuppered it anyway. I wonder if Amsterdam have their sights on this tech. But then I wonder how it could possibly work? There can't be any forcefields involved :D so does it just come down to being warned or electrocuted if you get too close to anyone? That just ain't gonna work is it?
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the technology was more aimed at track and trace with regards the proximity stuff?? That does assume of course everyone downloads the app onto their phone or actually has a phone!!!

You made me go and have a look at the amsterdam website baldstan. The runners, it appears, are not happy, and have set up a petition to try and get the race stopped!!! Seems a strange update though....
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I’m just catching up on the latest posts. Love all the news, feel exhausted just reading about snail’s and Debra‘s activities and plans! Am pleased to hear Barcelona is cancelled, I had no plans to go despite having an entry. Looking forward to Boston (UK) marathon next month, I only entered it earlier this year because I thought I needed a Comrades qualifier in April, but the rearranged date and plan looks good so think I’ll do it. Have entered some CTS halves and marathons later this year, previous experience of these is they are small events in rural locations so need very little adapting to feel very safe. 
    How are you all feeling about Comrades 2021? Personally, I think there is very low probability of it going ahead on planned date, or easy restrictions free travel being possible at that time. I’ve no intention to book hotels / flights in the short term, but if nearer the time it looks realistic would plan to go
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Travel to SA will open the beginning of November.  I think there is a very good chance of Comrades happening mid June.     In other news, USA Big Sur marathon for April 2021 is cancelled. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    It's disappointing but I much prefer when organisers bite the bullet and cancel well out, I have a list forming of marathons to run based on this... Berlin, Big Sur. It can't be the letter B, Barcelona were not brave.
  • baldstan: glad you enjoyed the read and that it was useful for planning. Nutrition is vital and two things I've learned is have more than one 'I'll definitely eat that' real food (I found myself without anything once my potatoes smelled 'off') and have an emergency instant energy source in the backpack.
    SVN has a a gold-highlighted version of the100-mile buckle for those going under 24 hours, as I recall.
    Mc Hilly: enjoy Boston (UK). Hope it's not a windy day for you.
    Dannirr: I do hope Comrades goes ahead next June.

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    1owrez, Amsterdam certainly won't top your list for decisiveness, but they have just now announced that this year's race is cancelled and entries will all be transferable to 2021 (but no refunds).
    Debra, good luck getting your gold 100 mile buckle. I've got to work out what to do with all the extra provisions I'd ordered for the NDW100. They're getting close to their expiry dates so can't save them for another race. I'm volunteering on the Thames Path 100 in a week's time, so perhaps I'll take them with me to keep me going through the night!
  • baldstan: where are you volunteering? I'm double-marking a 25-mile stretch from Windsor Bridge to Henley. My wonderful husband has agreed that if I get the early trains to get to Windsor, he will pick me up from Henley afterwards.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Debra, I'm a bit further up the course at Wallingford, mile 77.5. Might try to get there a little early as that aid station doesn't open until 16:25. Would be good to have an easy run part way to the next aid station and back so I can answer questions about the state of the course (and make the most of a day by the Thames). Yes, not easy to get from Henley back to Windsor by train. I imagine it would involve a lot of changes. I do like that stretch of the river from Maidenhead, past Cookham and up to Marlow. Had a magical early morning walk there one autumn where there was a mist over the Thames and it looked like a Turner painting.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Not been on the Forum for a while and just working to swim, cycle and run until races start to open up again. 

Great runs by D and SS, and remarkable to see you both doing good distances already.  SS that was a gutsy call but no doubt the right one.

Re travel to SA I have IM SA on 15 November, and they wont let me move it to next year.  I am just assuming its going to be cancelled as IM Portugal is the week before and I am in that one too.  

Where do you find out about all these races?  I look online but they all seem to be cancelled etc, I would love to run a marathon/50k and looked at Boston but I am in the lakes that weekend swimming Ulswater end to end and the other half was not keen on rushing back on the Saturday night so I could run a marathon on the Sunday.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi Peter, the races known to be running are simply coincidences I think, they were entered some time ago and have not been cancelled. If you are up north the sisters Grim are doing a good job staging real races right now.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Peter, Endurancelife are going ahead with their Coastal Trail Series events if you like off road in stunning scenery, and still have some spaces. I’m doing 3 of them between now and year end.... they are fairly small events done in a simple way, so very little adaptation needed for current times!

• The Centurion races were all postponed and have now started happening. Saxons, Vikings and Normans are back up and running with all their races - but lower entry limits (number of people running) than usual. Not sure about the other low-key outfits with lapped courses - with all the ones I have lined up for the rest of the year (Centurion CW50, Autumn 100, WW50K (night)and NDW50;  SVN Tolkien, Halloween 100 Usual Suspects and Saxon Shore) I really don't need want to cancel either of them.or want any more, so I've not been looking.
    I've just realised I have Viking 100 set for 22nd May and Comrades hopefully 12th June 2021. That's only 3 weeks in between... not ideal but I don't really
  • A good last long run before tapering for Comrades Debra!!

Centurian races are all full. It's a shame they don't have a waiting list as there are definitely people who would pay for the race. I offered to for the NDW50 coming up. Theres no way everyone will be on the start line.

I've done a few of the endurancelife races and as McHilly says stunning scenery and well organised. Which ones are you doing?

Peter - The Ultra I'm doing, 62K, is the 19th September. Commiserations on the Ironman events.
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is doing ok.

Haven't been on the forum for ages but from a quick read just now can certainly see people didn't sink into aimless jogging during lockdown like I did! Thankfully I've turned that corner & am now following a marathon plan that's got me doing something productive & using the (not)parkrun virtual 5k's to try & force a bit of effort once a week.

In a moment of hope (blind optimism?) I booked a cheap hotel deal in Durban for Comrades next year. What's people's thinking on if it will go ahead or not? Presume entries would be opening next month if it was or have there been any announcements that I've missed.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Oh no! My kilt has been lost in the post :(

JK - Dannirr seems very confident that Comrades will go ahead, inward travel sanctions should lift in November. Good to hear you are back running - I am still being a right slob despite needing to run the VLM on 4th October, and with nothing to cover my bottom :D
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    1owrez, hope your kilt arrives soon (and it's not too breezy on 4th October). I see entries are open now for the Virtual VLM. I may end up walking some/most of it, but I've signed up. Anyone else going to give it a go? £20 for a shirt, medal, and for the speedy ones a shot at a Good for Age place in 2021, doesn't seem a bad deal.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Second attempt at kilt delivery in process, disappointed though that the original package is officially "lost" as it contained a yellow submarine cap and a marble maze death star, essential items for life that they are unable to re-source and will therefore refund me on. My life is now incomplete :( talk about first world problems :D
    Yes I think London is a good deal. In addition this isn't some other virtual race; it is the official 40th edition of The London Marathon.
  • Someone was planning on doing Boston I believe? I read their RA yesterday along with knowing numbers permitted for each wave within a wave start race (only format permitted for races of that size) have not been determined as yet from UKA I’ve no idea why the SAG group gave the go ahead within the last 12 weeks so I fully understand why they have reversed their decision for it to go ahead. Now cancelled. 
  • I've just signed up too. Probably the only way I'll ever get to do London  :D
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So what fancy dress are you both planning to wear :D
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Comrades has lost its major sponsor (Bonitas). This is a huge blow. With COVID related uncertainty for next year, how do they attract a new one?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blimey! Are Bonitas medical insurance? I bet they have been hit really hard. But, isn't this a major opportunity for a big name to have epic exposure to millions? I would expect the Nikes and Cokes of this world to get into a bidding war to land this one!
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    I don't know -   They've had opportunity in the past and never took it.   I hope you're right though.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Let's ring up Elon Musk, he's South African is he not? Ha ha I should get a job in marketing!
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I was meant to be doing Boston:-( I hadn’t read Mark’s post yesterday, just happened to see the cancellation mentioned on a fb post a few minutes ago. All though I was looking forward to it I’m neither surprised or disappointed it’s cancelled. Without knowing it was cancelled I booked the VLM last night, so my “training” won’t be wasted. Or to be more accurate, I’ll have more time to do some training:-)
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    1owrez, I was thinking of going for a MAMIL look, I probably have that outfit already.
    Dannirr, that's worrying news. None of the travel or hotel companies that could benefit from the international exposure will have the money either. The gold miners are doing well at the moment, would it be good PR for them?
  • Deninitely bad news about Bonitas bowing out. Hope a good replacement is found.
    I'll not be entering the VLM - it's 6 days before Autumn 100. Might support some clubmates to do it.
  • Just entered the NDW50 for next year. At least I know the route :)