Wednesday 12th August - In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Another night shift , another thread

Lyrics - in the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Yesterday's lyrics were George Harrison - All things must pass.

A song I often think of during hard training sessions. 

What - sleep first. Then either another 5k, or maybe a walk
Why - ran the last two evenings before work and I've had some pain afterwards, so don't want to push it

Currently, I've got a choice between melting in work, or opening the window and being a bit cooler but competely swarmed by flying things. 

Comments

• chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    By the way , Emz - sorry if I missed it somewhere, but could you send the link for a donation please? 
  • Morning.

Thanks again chamolk. Yes, Dustin was winding you up - hence the emoji :-)

Sorry to hear that your runs are leaving you with some discomfort - it's still quite soon after your op though. Hope you can sleep today - our weather is forecast to break.

Sensible to do the miles early whilst it's cooler Hazel.

chicksta - I do like it hot as you know but I don't think it made it any easier!

I am surprisingly unscathed today. My ankle did swell after my run but it's mostly gone down overnight, left knee stiffened a little but is ok this morning. I think I could run but I won't as I know that would have my physio rolling her eyes in exasperation and would probably mean an extra couple of days off for the sake of a (very) few easy miles. Hopefully back at it tomorrow.

What:            nothing
    Why:             doing as I'm told
    Last hard:     yesterday's run was far from easy
    Last rest:      10/8

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Hope you get/got some decent sleep, Chamolk!

Sounds sensible, LMH.

What: legs will decide, stretches

Why: niggles, heat, needs must
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • See how day progresses ...
    Monsoon has arrived!
    Some kidney stone pain.
    More donner und blitzen forecast through the day, currently over Aberdeen.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en

Lyrics no
  • Pain after exercise in that situation usually an indication of overdoing it, Chamolk IMHO.
  • Not sensible enough according to my physio Alehouse - she thinks that I should have at least two days off between runs. I shall see how everything feels tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that your stone is being troublesome OH though it doesn't look as though you'd be out doing much in that anyway!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Chamolk - sorry , yes a tease after your opening comment that you hoped they hadn't been used...similar here regarding being boiled alive or bitten to death...
    LMH- well done on the LSR
    Els/OH - my apologies re appt dates...same applies though, good to get it on the calendar (for now..) Could do with some monsoon type weather here

What - easy / nothing
    Why - slight hammy niggle after training yesterday
    last rest - today (or 20/06)
    last hard - yesterday
    Session was 400/400/300/300/200/200/100/100 alternating faster with steady x 3 sets
    Slight niggle on 2nd 100, so being prudent shirked set 3 instead jogging easy after a load of stretching.
    Hopefully nothing sinister, perhaps just a little dehydrated, it was over 30c at the time
    Also timekeeping later - club running a series of 100m races on track, limited to 4 per race, I think we have about 20 heats though. 
    Just hope the monsoon doesn't arrive at 5:30....

• Be careful Dustin. Hope the weather isn't awful for your timekeeping duties.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

I think that you may be a better judge of your legs than the physio in this particular instance, LMH. She is probably very much erring on the side of caution. 

Hope the hamstring niggle comes to nothing, Dustin

And hope the monsoon disappears quickly, and the stone pain even faster, OH!

What: 68 minutes, mainly off road. 

Why: get a MLR (could end up as this week's LSR) on the scoreboard. A fair amount slower than usual: I have been trying to keep a bit of an eye on my heart rate on some MLRs. Kept slowing down a little to keep the HR down, but it was still higher than I would expect for this run. Entirely down to the heat I imagine. "Real feel" temperature currently 27. Wouldn't really have wanted to do much more today, although it was an hour or so early for my liking. Niggles behaved. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

Chamolk can you get a fly net for the window?  There are some pretty simple and cheapish velco and net solutions which can be set up quite easily (use them here).  Take it easy if you are in pain and sleep well!

Sounds positive LMH.  I would go with Ale's comment but maybe a rest today and a shortie tomorrow rather than 2 days off if the legs feel at least as good as today?

Like the lightening map OH.  Switzerland is currently disappointingly free of Blitz and Donner.  Could do with some of the monsoon here too.

Fingers crossed for the timekeeping Dustin.  Sensible to shorten your session if you were niggly and anyway in those temps.

Good MLR in those temps Ale.

What: more GA miles with 6 x strides
    Why: waiting for the heat / humidity to go down a bit at least before doing longer / quicker. 
    Last hard: standing "desk" in the kitchen (actually a bar height table with the coffee machine on it).  Back not keen but upstairs office too hot
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics: no
  • Dustin - no apologies required, we're pretty confused about what's going on when too!
    Night of thunder which I mostly slept through then got soaked going to hospital education meeting then an 8 mile walk in the rain with a friend who I used to work with, a bit of thunder thrown in and a complete change of clothes required but good to be out. Think might aim for an indoor afternoon unless it improves out. Interestingly a sizeable boat appears stuck in the shallows at the beach. Met Peter on the beach so his run/soaking in progress!
    Lyrics nope.
  • Hazel - I find spending some time standing beneficial for my back. Hope conditions ease for you.

Alehouse - I'd disagree. My physio has a far more realistic view of the damage/issues in my knees than I do. It's like today, I could run but I know very well that if I did I wouldn't have a hope of running tomorrow and the same may be true tomorrow. I'm just usually/have previously been too pig headed to listen - and may well be so again. I am bored witless as she was also very clear that on these rest days I have to limit my walking as it doesn't matter whether it's running or walking, the strain on the knees is still an issue. How is your RHR?

That's a good walk on a wet day Els.

Harry Boilers here.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Warm! Interesting weather on Orkney!
    And talking of Scotland, wonder if Wabo has crossed the border on LEJOG?

You know your physio better than I do, LMH!

re RHR, all good. 39 this morning and usually between that and around 45. If it gets to 50 it is a fair indication that I am under the weather. Just as important I also monitor HR two minutes and ten minutes after a run; if I don't recover quickly enough then I know that there is an issue. All fine on that score as well! Long may it continue.
  • 10 wet miles, initially rumbly.
    Longest run for a while if still slow.

• Easy is an effort not a pace OH - miles in the bank.

Alehouse - I know that my physio wants me to have the best chance of getting in shape for this marathon and also to be able to run in the longer term, she doesn't often tell me not to run. Good to know that it's probably just the heat affecting you then.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    See how day progresses ...
    Monsoon has arrived!
    Some kidney stone pain.
    More donner und blitzen forecast through the day, currently over Aberdeen.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en

Lyrics no
    Love the lightning map! Boo regarding kidney stone trouble :(  We put the words the other way round and say Blitz und Donner :)
    Nice miles :+1:

chamolk: here's to you running pain-free hopefully soon. With you on finding it difficult to sleep in this heat. Last night was windy so we had all windows open and lovely breeze was cooling the rooms down. We put fly nets in when we built the house. They weren't cheap (they need to be quite robust because it's often very windy in our parts) but were worth every penny and keep the nasty blood suckers out. 

Dustin: Sensible canning that final set if you're not feeling 100%. I'd love a monsoon. Everything is bone-dry here. And another day with 33 degrees. 

Hazel: creative home office solution :)

Your physio sounds ace, LMH. I wish I could find someone that knows the ins and outs of running biomechanics so well. My osteo was good but moved too far away, sadly. And she wasn't really into running, just very, very good at anatomy trains and all this myofascial stuff.

More of the same here - s&c first thing and still too lazy to walk. Hoping for a break in weather but it does not look likely. 
  • She's worth her weight chicksta. Which isn't to say that I always listen to her of course!
  • BOOOOMM ZAAPPP!!

Monsoon just arrived.. Only thing is my OH is currently on his way home from work on the moped.. :o Waiting for a call to do taxi service...
  • Good news/bad news Hazel - hope he gets home ok.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    evening all
    wow Hazel as long as all is ok that is the best thing. Wish some different weather would arrive here
    lmh you are sounding brighter - happy for you and what a physio!
    oh, no rain here yet just heat.  well done on the 10 miles
    alehouse, not sure where I am on le jog, no many miles this week, just one a day!
    chamolk, indeed take care

what: 1.2 sweaty treaddie miles tai chi and stretching
    why back wont allow more
    last hard that was
    last rest: 31/12/16

off to check lejog
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ooh I have passed Gretna Green!!!1
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can