How much should I run

How much should I run in order to lose weight?
Dave Alce
Marketing Manager

Comments

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi Dave and welcome.

It's actually quite a difficult one to quantify as it depends on a few variables, i.e. age, height, weight, current fitness levels, current activities, eating and drinking habits, etc. 

The simple equation I've always thought of is that if you're putting less calories in your body than you're using up then as a consequence weight loss should happen. And as exercise burns calories then running should help. 
  • Thank you very much for your reply. Currently, I am running in the morning and in the evening. 2 k.m each time.
    Dave Alce
    Marketing Manager
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Well as a consequence of actually getting out for a run on a regular basis you should start to feel the benefit of increased fitness, which would hopefully lead to you being able to run further as your endurance improves. That should have a positive affect on any weight loss targets.
  • Don't run as fast as you think you should, don't run as far as you think you should, but run more often than you think you should. I think that was Cliff Temple.

A good guide but not that accurate is you burn 100 calories if you weigh 10 stone and run at 7 minute miles. So a 3 hour marathon doesn't burn off a pound of fat. Adjust for your weight and speed.

Running does help to lose weight, but I reckon it's 95% less food and 5% exercise.