Wednesday 21st October 2020 One fine day

Morning!

Late start!

Lyrics: One fine day I'm gonna be the one to make you understand

What: a run of some description plus stretches

Why: consistent consistency
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Yes to lyrics. Sad news :(
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Ale - thanks for the link, will have a read
    What - easy run, walk a fell, eat too much
    Why - on holiday
    last rest - 11 days
    last hard - yesterday. 7 miles undulating then 7 mile coastal walk in grim weather from St Bees up to Whitehaven

• Morning

No run today I needed more sleep and we have torrential rain all day so I opted for a rest day I have run 5 days on the bounce.

What: Abs/weights/walk to village
    Why: Weather
    Last hard: Tiredness and weather
    Lyrics; Yes
    Last rest : Today.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning - was thinking about starting the thread but it seems I use too obscure lyrics.  Missed yesterday somehow.

Monday's were Just Around the Corner by Cock Robin.

Sad news Chicksta? Lyrics related?  How is the mended foot doing with the hiking?  Do you have Foehn* at the moment?  Forecast is for 24 degrees in the higher valleys today here.  * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind

Was thinking of you yesterday WP - i guess you will be affected by the Wales lockdown?  Have a good rest day - seems like a good day for it.

Eat too much sounds good Dustin - were you not planning on running Skiddaw at some point?  Guess you need decent weather for it though.

Love the baby creepie OH.  Good you have had your scan and fingers crossed.

Will have a look at the exercices Ale, thanks. Currently very lazy again.  Add in plenty of mud and hills for the XC.  Maybe a stile or too.

Well done on getting out for a run in those conditions Els.

Hope you have settled back in well at home LMH and the break was a good one overall.

What: more intervals, will have to fiddle with the session as varying distances and my watch doesn't do that.
    Why: regular speedwork
    Last rest 30.03.

Lyrics: no
  • Windy and heavy rain :'(
    Passed on planned swim and likely won't run today (forecast to get worse). Gales forecast for weekend and XC may be deferred.
    Lyrics certainly not today!
  • Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - One Step Closer - U2.

Don't worry about obscure lyrics Hazel. That is warm - please send some over though you can keep the wind. I could have done without the instant return to work stress but not much I can do about it.

That is a very small creepie OH.

Els - I bet your friends would rather run with you than without. I find it really difficult when I offer to run with someone and they tell me they can't run with me because I'm 'too fast' - I can run slower. I don't want every run to be fast and I definitely do want their company or I wouldn't ask. Ten miles is a lot further than me. Online cpd here too :-(

I love an out of season holiday walk Dustin - even in the rain. Hope refuelling options are good.

Sounds sensible Poppy.

What do you have planned for today chicksta?

Hope you have better weather than us Alehouse.

My knee and hip are definitely not happy after yesterday's run. Hoping they will settle before tomorrow.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Maybe you're right LMH but sometimes it's easy to feel very negative about yourself. 
    Missed out on our Lakes trip this year Dustin, enjoy it even if wet!
    Still pouring here, debating a v wet walk up the hill in waterproofs, will run later...though weather is only set to get worse!
    Soup and granola made, it's a day for hot soup!
    CPD last night was good but I was a bit squeamish for David Nott's illustrations! This morning's local CPD less good! Don't even know why I'm doing it just now - was hoping to offer to do some clinics etc but the mood seems v poor locally and not sure I can handle the stress of that currently!
    Hope you're all dryer than here!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Morning!

Damp but warm here: 16 degrees plus heavy drizzle, and due to the latter I wore too much! No wind to speak of. 

re lyrics: yes, chosen because of sad news, Hazel. And every runner knows these OH, for it is what we do! Second line, given that the title is in the first!

What: 40 plus minutes on trails including part of two parkruns run in the opposite direction to the "race"

Why: fairly easy day. Legs felt a bit battered to start with, and then had to hold myself back. 

Can you walk today after yesterday's track, Wabo? And how far to go now on LEJOG?

Bumped into an ex-colleague who now runs his own outdoor adventure firm, largely based on canoeing (Messing about on the Mersey Ltd): has had almost no business since March as his main clients are schools, corporate business days, children's (and adult) birthday parties etc. Can't see him surviving although he sounded remarkably optimistic. Full diary last year, nothing in it this year. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hazel: Sadly yes 17 days of total lockdown but at least I can run and walk to keep my spirits lifted.Thanks for thinking of me.
    I though 12 degrees here was warm :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Els - people don't ask for your company because they feel sorry for you, they do it because they enjoy spending time with you. I would love to have a run with you. Granola and bread made here and soup nearly ready :-) Managed a mostly dry walk with Lola this morning but I think it will be full waterproofs for this afternoon's.
  • Poppy: didn't know it was that bad in Wales. Sounds like exercise isn't restricted this time around?

Tough for your friend, ale. I fear that a lot of companies in the leisure industry will go belly-up.

Dustin: I love coastal walks in rough conditions :)

Weather sounds a bit miserable, Els. Hot soup is a good idea.

Hazel: Luckily no Föhn here. It always gives me a massive headache :(  it has warmed up nicely though. 19 degrees today.
    Enjoy the speedwork.

Hope it's not too wet for your afternoon walk, LMH.

Morning and midday walks done. It's so nice that we're planning another one before dinner :)
  • Im so sorry to jump on the end of this thread but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to start a new thred....Ive been a member for a year but not really commented too much as Im not a professional like a lot of people and I wouldnt want to give the wrong advice....I started running in June 19 when I turned 40 to improve my health and lose some weight but its kinda gotten under my skin now and Im out thre times a week doing about 15-20km (currently- was more) I'm self taught, I dont have the greatest habits or training but I enjoy what I do and it makes me feel so mentally positive. I have an issue right now where I have been upping my distance, around where I live there are not much options on routes and most include a grade 3-4 hill for k or more and rcently my thighs have started to tighten and stiffen mid run meaning that my stride is reduced and my pace is a lot less than it should be.....and obviously the discomfort afterwards is not good. Can anyone help me with some insight and advice..? I want to get back on form but Im just not sure where to start
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    So thats it, all done with the running, 1000 miles reached as per yearly target and signing out on my terms.... (1001 miles). on to the Exercise bike now and will hopefully pop in... was meant to be as even my halo came out sharing a coffee today after our run with Miss RFJ.....

So blessed that the last three runs I did was with Jnr, Mrs RFJ and Miss RFJ.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement, so much appreciated

• RFJ. ..well done on all those miles...and the good company. Hope things stabilise for you.
    Chick that's warm...Enjoy! 
    Rain much less but cold wind now but had short run with Peter. 
    Arlene I'm no expert but my advice would be to slow down on the hills until they become easier....they will in time!
  • Well done RFJ!

Arlene - I'm not sure what a grade 3-4 hill is but you should shorten your stride when running uphill. I don't think any of us were taught to run or look particularly pretty when we do so - please don't worry about that. Re-reading your post it does sound as though you may be over using your quads, your glutes should ideally be doing a lot of the work especially running uphill. It might be worth trying regular quad stretching, some glute exercises like bridges and slowing down whilst you're building distance. Hope some of that helps - and feel free to join in and post every day to let us know how you're getting on.

I managed to find a mostly drizzly rather than outright wet window chicksta. Sounds as though your weather has improved a lot - hope it continues for the rest of your holiday.

Glad you and Peter were able to get out Els.
  •  

Evening!

Memorable pics, RFJ! Keep us posted!

Arlene, a few things! First of all, I think you need to have posted at least ten comments before you can start a thread. So keep posting! 
    Secondly, this is the "daily thread": 

Someone, anyone, starts the thread each day using a line or two from a song, usually the first line unless that contains the title. Everyone has to say whether they know the lyrics or not, but don’t actually say what they are. The answer is revealed at the end of the day, or more usually, the next day. Where possible the lyrics have a degree of topicality.

People also say:

What: as in what training is planned

Why: that training will happen

Some add:
    Last hard: noting a particularly hard run

Last rest: last rest day

Often people will comment on other things that they plan to do, or the weather!

Feel free to join us!

Third: would be good to see what your typical week looks like before giving advice.
    Finally, I would be advocating work on your glutes, as LMH suggests: they should be doing the work. And by chance on yesterday's thread I sent a link to a few useful exercises. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/oct/19/physiotherapists-on-the-functional-exercises-everyone-should-do-from-home-and-they-do-themselves

And where is Chamolk, amongst others! 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Evening
    Yes I could run today alehouse, only a mile though. Great track session last night. Sorry about your mate. 
    12x 400 with minute recovery 1 -3 then 80 sec recovery and so on
    Sadly I came home to discover we'd been burgled. So I'm sorry not to comment much. I'm not so great. 
    Arlene you'll get good advice here they're
    All friendly and helpful.
    Rfj big hugs to you and what lovely photos. 
    WP oh wow bl**dy covid is just too much
    Hope all is ok with everyone else
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • That's a tough session, Wabo...and even tougher to get back to that. Sadly I know the feeling.  Hope you are ok.