NEW WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT

i have been told its ok to let people know now, so here we go, i shall be back on the treadmill again with a team of 11 other people, to see how far we can get in 24 hours as a team of 12 to set a new world record.its also to promote the marathon of britain event in august. we start in nottingham town centre next wednesday evening at 18:45 , 21 april, any of you lucky people live in the area , watch out for us on t.v or radio, or come down for a meet up with a host of knowledge on ultra running i.e
myself_MDS 5 times, previous 48 hour treadmill world record, mob 2003

rory coleman-umpteen world records on treadmill, GUC, MDS

luke cunliffe, MDS,Junglemarathon,
yukon ultra, trans 333

andy rivett, JOGLE world record holder, previous 24 hour treadmill world record holder
and as they say much much more,
, honestly the things i let myself in for, should be a good warm up for stratford on the sunday

Comments

• ooooooh gooodee
    i love these
    Is there a website
  • Good luck!!

The name Rory Coleman rings a bell. Was he one of the 1000-milers in the run-up to last year's FLM?

I'm not going to even ask how you jogle!!

:-)
  • Good luck with that!!!!

Sounds crazy :)
  • yes chimp , thats the guy, equally barmy, if not more than me, we met up in the sahara desert in 1999 and been bosom buddies aver since, i cringe when he rings me and asks if i fancy a run somewhere as it gererally involves pain.

example 1. rory rings " paul fancy a steady run in some nice warm sand, we will take it steady and have a nice time" this actually involved the only 2 of us from britain going 106 miles,non stop, through the jordan desert, if that wasn't tough enough we were the guinea pigs for a new race with a massive 38 entries,at least we got around alive................ only just. oh how we laughed!!.

example 2. rory calls,"paul great run coming up in london, chance to see the sights, not a large field so your chance to get a good time. muggings here accepts and goes down to london for a 2AM start for a marathon UNDER the greenwhich foot tunnel, this comprised of running up and down the foot tunnel, which obviously runs under the river thames, around 54 times or so, didn't think much to the scenery and didn't get a good time, but oh! how we laughed!!
    these are but a few examples of many

beware if you EVER get a call from coleman, run away, run away!!!!!!!!!!!
    coleman is also the race director for the marathon of britain as well

no web site for this event as yet hippo, but i am sure i can co-hurst the ever reliable monique to keep you keen forumites updated on the day.

• Marathon of Britain details?
  • You dont want to know, Pantman.

Trust me.
  • But I might, Ashley... ;-)
    BTW, Are the last few miles of the East Kent Ultra really going to be on sand?? Put me right off... :-(
  • I know I shouldn't encourage you, Pants (or anyone else), but the MoB site's here.
  • Paul.

Reckon you need to find a new mate!!!

What do you say to Mrs? "Just off for a run with Rory. See you in a couple of weeks time. Now where's me passport?"

:-))))

• marathon of britain, excellent race, pretty tough, i would equal if not harder than the mds, 175 miles in 6 days, longest day 5th day 54 miles then a tranquil 10 mile finish along the nottingham canal to the finish, last years race was run in temperatures of 35+
  • Paul are you doing 2 hours each or is it 24 hours times 12 for a total distance?
  • its just around 2 hours each, on 1 treadmill,or i suppose who,s the fittest and keep going the fastest, rorys giving us the final details soon.
  • Hello Paul keep me updated I am in all day tomorrow working on 15 burberry ponchos- after all I have said about how people seen wearing the stuff should be shot on sight now my sewing room is ful of the stuff, I even had a scrap of it attached to my shoe as I walked down the road this afternoon. The things we do for money. Anyhow I can have the forums on all day and keep texting me or something.
  • Paul
    Good luck with the challenge.
    Is there a record to break - if so what is it and what are you hoping ot achieve?
    Pass on my good wishes to Luke - the boy did brilliant in the Yukon. ;-)
  • Oops- just misread the date and its the week after London, however the offer still stands.
  • cheers monique, will be in touch.
    lfw as far as i am aware it is a new record, so really its as far as we can go, though to be honest with one or two exceptions , all the runners are ultra runners so no chance of a ridiculous high mileage, i think the organisers are hoping for somewhere near the marathon of britain distance, 175 miles or so, though i would like to hink we maybe able to churn out the 200 mile mark between us, we will have to see. i don,t know exactly what the plan is for the time each one of us is on the treadmill yet, will update more as i find out more news.
  • ok, have some more details for the attempt tomorrow night, wednesday 21 april, starts at 18:45 at the market square , nottingham, 12 people split into 4 groups of 3, each group on the treadmill for 2 hours at a time, split into 20 mins intervals, the hope is to run the marathon of britain distance (175 miles) in 24 hours, monique will keep the update going. thats the beauty of setting a new world record, you set the rules that everyone else who attempts it has to follow.

• Blimey, just found this thread, you lot deserve all the luck going, and a clutch of medals ........ one of them for insanity I think
  • Just had the email, best of luck to you all. Shame I can't get the local tv.
    You'll be ok for Stratford of course won't you Paul?
  • here is the official press release:

On the 21st to 22nd April 2004 a team of 12 runners from this year’s Flame Health Marathon of Britain will set a New World Record for treadmill running in Nottingham’s Market Square. For exactly 24 hours the team of runners will take it in turns to pound a Trimline 340 Treadmill. Their aim is to collectively cover more than 175 miles, equivalent to the six-day Flame Health Marathon of Britain that starts later this year on August 1st.

The event starts at 18.45hrs live on BBC East Midlands Today on Wednesday 21st April finishing at 18.45hrs on the 22nd April 2004.

The team includes four Guinness World Record Breakers as well as Runner’s World editor Steven Seaton, BBC East Midlands Today Presenter Rob Glass and Flame Health’s MD Scott Liversidge. Scott explains,

“ Last year saw the inaugural Marathon of Britain event which was a resounding success, and certainly set the parameters of what has become the most gruelling and talked about ultra running event in the UK. Last year we sponsored a team in the competition, which gave us an excellent insight into the concept, and the positive mindset of the individuals who actually compete and complete this immense endurance race. This year we wanted to take more of an integral role in the proceedings and when we discussed the potential to become the main sponsor we were extremely eager to progress and support one of the most positive and challenging events on this years sporting calendar.”

The team will raise valuable funds for Action on Addiction, the UK’s only independent addiction research charity.

“ We are delighted to be the chosen charity for the Marathon of Britain 2004,” says Lesley King – Lewis, Chief Executive of Action on Addiction. “ It is fantastic that Rory Coleman and his team are raising awareness of Action on Addiction. We would like to encourage people to come down and watch this World Record attempt and donate money to help our vital research.”

This world record breaking attempt is to celebrate the launch of the Flame Health Marathon of Britain 2004.

The Marathon of Britain is a unique foot race covering a route of approximately 175 miles held in set stages over 6 days. Each competitor must carry all of their supplies, clothes and equipment for the duration of the event. The course starts under Abbey Archway near Great Malvern passes through the idyllic Cotswold Hills, through Warwick and Kenilworth to finish at Robin Hood’s castle Nottingham.

Key athlete profiles:

Andy Rivett - Current John o’Groats-to-Land’s End World Record holder and previous 100 mile and 24hr treadmill record holder also Flame Health Marathon of Britain Champion 2003.

Rory Coleman - Current 7-day Treadmill World Record holder and previous holder 12hr, 24hr, 48hr and 100 mile world treadmill records. 423 Marathons to date, and Race Director of Flame Health Marathon of Britain.

Paul Shields - Previous 48hr World Treadmill record holder.

Glyn Marston - Previous 100 mile World Treadmill record holder.

Also in the line up are Flame Health Marathon of Britain athletes, Richard Price, Big Dave Carter, Paul Taylor and Heidi Wilson.

For Further Information
    Rory Coleman - Race Director
    rory@marathonofbritain.com

• good luck to yourself and the team - have a good one.
  • mob needs sponsors!
  • What pace are those guys running?
  • well if they want to get the full 175 done then its going to have to be 7 miles an hour average.....

which between 12 people makes it sound pretty acheivable - but like most things of this nature, the only easy part is being an armchair critic - in practice I bet its going to be tough as hell.

One things for sure - the treadmills going to get a fair hammering...

clever publicity stunt for the MOB though you have to say.
  • Anyone know how the guys are doing??
  • Helo Sorry I should have got on late last night but was too tired.
    They had covered 25 miles in two hours, but that was with a quick "team" of runners (included Andy Rivett) By Pauls reckoning that put them on course for 190 miles.

This morning Paul rang, his team were about to do a stint, starting at 8 o'clock and they had completed 100 miles in 12 and a half hours.
  • Just had a call- they're up to 151 miles in 19hours and40 mins.
    He reckons they're on for 180-90. Furthest over the 20 mins so far- Andy Rivett with 3.3 miles
    If anyone is in the East Midlands area it will be on local news tonight just before 6:45.
  • Monique
    thanks for the updates.
    Pass on our best wishes to the team - it seems they will be setting a very respectful time. However, I think the first report of 25 miles in 2 hours was a little optimistic - albeit possible. Undoubtedly you or Paul will let us know the record once it is set. If you have a chance perhaps you could let us know who was in the team.
    Cheers
    LFW
  • Will do- he's phoning about 7.