P&D Spring Marathon 2021

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice to have some company, i only get that on race day. Top timing with the Everesting.

6m easy, gave the legs an easy day.
  • Certainly was TR. 1st time I’ve run with someone else in 10 weeks.
    Hopefully the easy day will refresh you for the week ahead.
    Another undulating 18 miler solo today. Ran it as 10M easy/8M progressive effort in a P&D kind of way, though a bit quick by the end: 6:52! First hilly 10M@8:12 followed by a rolling 4M@7:31 & 4M@7:11 Absolute stunner of a day & warm by the time I got out too. 😎
  • Evening everyone.

Sounds like a hint of progress, Cal. Long may it continue. 

Super long run and week, TR.

Super MP, Macca. I’m a big fan of moving runs around to enjoy a beer. Priorities!

Good work on the shout outs, Jools. Do join in old timers. We miss you!

Managed to churn out a few midweek 9-10 milers, and enjoyed getting the sun on my face. 

Got out yesterday lunchtime for a longer buggy run: 1h55 easy 7:42 pace for 15.3M. Incredible weather. I’m not far off burnt. 

And today a very leisurely 10k up on Cleeve Hill. A genuine running paradise 😀

64M for the week and 231 for Feb. Third highest February. Reading back on my notes from 2019 - an absolute beast of a month! Several 20+M runs including 4:50am 22M run commutes to work, interval sessions, tempo, a cross country race, 10k (Chichester) and half (Wokingham) PBs, 85M weeks. Absolute machine! 

That said, I still enjoy running now as much as then. 

Vaccine tomorrow morning - woohoo!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's not so good, unfortunately... Hamstring (well, bum, really) didn't really like the little run on Saturday so back to walking again. I had a good 7 mile walk yesterday so it's deffo not as bad as it was a week and a half ago but it doesn't want to be rushed, I think. I've eased back a bit on some of the exercises and am now doing mainly the isometric ones which are the ones that will settle it down a bit. If I'm feeling less sore tomorrow I might have another crack then.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one jools, you're very strong at the mo

Good going SQ, that was a big February in 2019, i looked back and saw i did 340m in February 2020.

Cal - can you get any fizz ? I wouldn't mind some on ny tight hammy if races are coming back soon.

15m home tonight, legs refused to join in until about 1/2 way.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Not great Cal. Glad you got out this weekend at least. 
    A much needed recovery run for me as my legs are pretty battered after the weekend. Tried to cut a 10.5M loop down to 8ish but only managed to get it down to 9.7 so a bit far really.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Wow that is big for a February, TR. Good work on a long post work commute. Hope the hammy is ok.

Ditto for you, Cal. Sorry it is still causing woes. 

Double run morning. 4.6M, twenty minute rest, 4.6M. Took it very easy. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, trying to avoid it for now. My rental flat has turned into a money pit and I'm living off savings (I've almost exhausted my regular savings and will have to move on to the ISA soon). Once all the repairs are done I will start seeing more of the rent but since it's much lower now, I won't be able to stash much of it, if any, away.

Good news is that I managed a 5K run today. Went out at lunch as my niggles hurt more first thing. Could definitely feel the ham tendon but it wasn't too bad, maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 on the pain scale. My left groin felt a bit weird again but running felt quite awkward in general due to the layoff. Still, both warmed up OK and I could have run further but decided it would not be in my best interests at this point. The test is how it reacts later today - it did not react well after Saturday's 2 miler but I am feeling more optimistic about this one...I've had lunch and it feels OK for the moment.
    I dialled back on the rehab stuff which may have helped - I am sticking mostly to isometric stuff  for the ham and it seems a little less angry. I am also sitting on a pillow now when I use the computer and also swap to kneeling on a cushion every now and then to take weight off my sit bones. I don't tend to do that for very long, though, as (even with the cushion) it's a little hard on the knees.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...That is good news about the parkrun i agree, hopefully Goodwood going back 3 week gives it an honest shot of happening for you too, if not Dorney. That is a lovely 22 miler, esp at the end of a big week like that. i hear you about the tired legs.

Cal...I was going to say i'm glad to see you back, but that's not good, sorry to hear you are still not 100% and that the run has caused further issues. As TR says, physio might be a worth a looking at, but hopefully your feeling better soon.

Macca...Hope you enjoyed the beer, you certainly earned it. Quality 14 at 2.45 pace, esp when it was preceded by 6 x 1k in the week, class work.

Jools...Excellent work Everesting in February, class. Always nice to have company on a run, and its a very good sign when you finish an 18 miler "too fast" :lol:

SQ...Great news on the vaccine, how did you find it? Any negative impact on your training/side effects after it...not that i expect there to be, just curious. Fair play to you on a big month, even if it is slightly dwarfed by 2019 :lol:  ...that was an awesome month from you.

Life has been a bit hectic at the minute, so have been flat out, still running and all but have had no time to be on strava/here etc. But anyhow, 10 mile with 10 x 1k's (off 80) this morning for me, usual hard but not flat out and keep it all relaxed fare. Aimed for 3.20's per k, and the reps came in at  3.17, 16, 16, 16, 18, 15, 17, 18, 18, 17 and felt decent so more than happy with that.

Still waiting on definite word from Wrexham, though they are getting a 2nd course measure on the English side of the border in case the Welsh government don't play ball..just have to keep on waiting and see. Though our club are organising an "afternoon of 5000s" in April (the ideas to host it annually, and be bit like a night of the 10,000 pbs "lite" in further years, just with minus the crowds and beer this year) which fits perfectly with the last tune up race of the plan, so fingers crossed both it and Wrexham can get the go ahead. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - noted your double, good news. SPO has been pretty poorly agsin which could be due to her jab last week, flaring up her post covid.

Fair enough cal, hope your hammy heals and you find some lodgers then.

Hamo - cracking reps, well done. Runbritain are supposed to be updating re the way fwd but the silence is deafening, esp as they know what needs to be put in place for CV safe racing, so maybe its going to be more problematic than assumed to get racing again.

The hammy is just my usual marathon tightness, i hadnt seen it which i put down to bot much driving, but a few big weeks and its here. Ill hopefully get some release work on it once we know race plans. Decided i need to ease up a bit as im so smoked lately so just 6m easy tonight.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...Not good, hope your wife is feeling better soon. Ah ok, hopefully RunBritain can update soon, so a least you'll know where you stand. Sensible easing off a bit if your feeling smoked.

15 mile MLR this morning, went out the door a bit quick but felt ok, so ended up running it all at +10 pace, averaging 6.17's for what was a hilly enough run. Legs are joining TR in the completely smoked category now :flushed::lol: looking forward to my recovery runs tomorrow.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Cal - not great news on the injury front but you seem to manage it sensibly and you know your body well. Fingers crossed you can slowly build back up.

SQ - congrats on the 5k TT in a smoking time. It's not easy at all to solo that distance even with a bike so good signs that you were able to put a very nice run on the board to cap off a decent comeback. Great news about getting the vaccine, hope you don't get any side effects and can keep up the running.

Macca - still well on track for a PB marathon, doing some great LRs and sessions. Which one are you targeting?

TR - fingers crossed for one of your marathon entries to come through soon, you deserve a decent crack at one with all the ones you have stacked up this year. Is Dorney still the target?

Jools - congrats on another Everesting month, you would smash a hilly marathon right now with the miles and elevation you've been getting in. 

Hamo - great reading way back there on the nutrition advice, makes a lot of sense and I've have noticed feeling much peppier on the rare occasions that I run after eating. Should really try it out for those big LR sessions so I can get the most out of them. Good to see you fitting in the running around life, it's the one constant that keeps me grounded every day. Sounds like Wrexham will be on one way or another so should be a good motivator in the next few weeks.

Finally made it to the taper after a couple of solid weeks and 312 miles for Feb. Managed to get in a couple of parkruns now they are back here, hope you get it back in June as well.  Managed just over 19 mins a couple of weeks ago and felt like hard work. Last week I had a 10k tune up on the plan but no races so did 2x5km with 5 mins between. The solo effort was decent enough at 19:14 but didn't have much left for the following 5k even though it was parkrun, barely getting round in 20 mins. Seems I'm lacking any speed right now although won't matter much for my trail marathon.  Road races are slowly appearing for the rest of the year and hope to fit in a fast 10k, HM and marathon in the next 6 months. All domestic though as overseas travel isn't likely to open up and even if it does there will still be a 2 week quarantine on return. Got to be thankful that we can even race again though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Well done Hamo, weekday 15s are marathon gold.

Good to see you John, big february miles, will set you up for the spring. Target is whatever comes along in order to get running more maras before the sands of time get me.

So just the 6m easy instead of 10m last night, due to feeling so wrecked and wanting to visit my dad afterwards (distanced chat from driveway) as it was his birrhday. Approached the 6m tempo today with the same give it a mile and decide approach as last wk, which is always the slowest mile due to the amount of uphill, got rolling a bit and managed 39.52 (so 40.52, 40:18, 39:52), around 40 was where i hovered before Abo 2019, so happy days. This could be a long year with a lot of maras so i need to have a think about more easy short days at times.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you John although talk of parkruns makes me very envious.
    Careful of fatigue from overcooking your sessions Hamo. Need to get to Wrexham fresh enough to properly do your training justice.
    That easy half dozen yesterday certainly paid dividends today TR.
    Proper marathon session for me today inspired in part by relistening to Marcus Brown’s Runners Life podcast with Coach John which SQ recommended a while back. 11 flat miles as 1 mile wu/6x1M@6:40 off 0.5M@7:20/1M cd was the plan. Reps came out as 6:41/6:39/6:26/6:32/6:41/6:49 with the floats at 7:16/7:16/7:12/7:20/7:34. Transitioned from tarmac to rough towpath halfway through the 5th rep. Nearly canned the 6th as my guts started grumbling at the same time as the surface degenerated but they calmed again during the cruise before coming back with a vengeance on the 6th but calmed down again on the cruise & warm-down. Average pace for the full 11 came out as 7:00 which is the fastest sustained run I’ve done in a long while so happy with that 😎
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good session that jools, you're defo in good nick. Ive listened to a few of the episodes of that podcast, esp when he was trying to go sub 3. How do you pick the paces with respect to mp ? Would need some flat terrain for sure, so not a commuting run for me. But one I'll bear in mind, i could put it into a long run.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Based on MP: 10-15s faster for the efforts & 30s slower for the floats.
    I’m lucky to have flattish lanes within a mile of work. 
    Did 6x2K off 1K 3 times in June. Meant to build on that but spent July climbing 75,000ft instead.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping we do indeed get our parkruns back in June, Jools and John...I've really missed my weekly adventures. Of course, I'm also hoping my body is behaving enough by then that I can give them a good punt.

TR, I hope you're right that it's just tightness as I can say that hamstring trouble is an absolute sod.

Nice work hamo et al.

No ill effects from Tuesday's run so I had another run today. It was less comfortable which may be due to going out earlier or to the exercises I did before I went out. However, I was able to complete 5 miles so if it doesn't get worse during the day (it seems OK so far) then I can keep moving forward.

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Sounds like some progress, Cal, although linear. Fingers crossed.

That is a great session, Jools. Coach John Stazza does have some good insights. I’d love to see a full off the shelf programme written down. But I suppose that isn’t the point – it is about the progression for the individual. Had forgotten about that 75,000 month!

Sorry to hear your wife is struggling, TR. Hopefully the antibodies will build and she’ll be stronger for it. Solid progression of your weekly tempos.

That’s a massive February, John. 2 x 5k is always a tough session. Super idea to finish it with parkrun, even if it did feel tough.

Keep us updated on Wrexham, hamo.

Final week of home schooling and have managed to fit in some solid running, without about 10M each day. Seemingly no adverse vaccination reaction. Never seem to get one from the flu jab each year, but of course this could have been different – and certainly seems different for individuals.

Tempo Tuesday was 15, 12, 9 mins with 4 min jogs. Pace about 6:25 down to 6:15. Really enjoy those time-based sessions and the miles seem to accumulate rapidly when you’re not waiting for the bleep/vibration each mile.

Yesterday was 200s. Used a very quiet little road that leads to a small holiday park. Three speed bumps that nicely mark out 2 x 200m ish. 3 x 4 x 200, with 200 jogs and 600 between sets. Good to think about form. Always a surprisingly tough session. Feels like it shouldn’t be, given the short distances, but well outside my usual far. Nice to see strava logging a couple of sub 5m/m paces on the segment – although who knows how accurate this might be.

• SQ good work on the tempo, I’ll have to try splitting it one day. Well done on the sub 5, I sometimes see it briefly in strides on the watch if I time the glance right !

John - great 5k double, harder than a straight 10k I would imagine. Sounds like a good block of training in those legs.  I’m 1 week out from tapering for Dorney at Easter weekend.

Hamo - lovely consistent 1k reps there and agreed with TR on the midweek 15s.  Fingers crossed for Wrexham, quite a few race directors are saying they can put events on, just need the governing bodies etc issuing licences.

Cal - fingers crossed no adverse reaction with the hammy ?

Jools - interesting session and great overall pace. As above, you sound in decent nick.

TR - well done for dialling it back a little, probably enabled you to gain more benefit from the 10k which looks a good marker.

Slightly lighter week here, I guess in view of tomorrow’s 10k tune up, then one last big week next before the taper.  Seems strange thinking about races whilst it’s still one a day locally but as above, Dorney just seem to be waiting on the green light from above.  
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    John...Happy days, enjoy the taper, hope it works its magic. Good news with the parkruns being back for you, and some nice times from you round them, good work.

TR...Happy Birthday to your old man. Excellent 6 mile tempo, that progression of these from this year, and in comparison to pre Abo is very very encouraging.

Jools...Class marathon specific session, i done something similar myself this morning with fast efforts off steady floats, which is hard work, but you smashed it. 75,000 feet of climbing in one month, like SQ i had forgotten that madness :astonished: :lol:

Cal...Good news that you are back, just take it slowly and hopefully the body behaves itself for you.

SQ...10 miles a day over the week is a good average. Will you be glad to get back to the classroom? Agreed, i really like time based tempos compared to a set block of miles. Lovely paces on them. I find the shorter sharper stuff to be hard work too, you're not used to that flat out speed normally. Good stuff.

Macca...The lighter week will show in the 10k tune up i am sure. Yea, everyone seems to just be waiting at the minute, i think once one person makes a decision (gives the green light/permission to races) that the flood gates will open...hopefully anyway.

I was meant to do the 1st of the dreaded 7 @ LT this morning, but i hate that session, so changed it up slightly by substituting a Change of pace tempo session in from the 1/2 mara road racing plan. I ran 12 miles with 4 mins fast, 4 mins steady then 5x (2 mins fast, 4 mins steady). Plan was to hit the fast sections in 5.25's and the steadies at 6's, but they came out a bit quicker, averaging 5.17 min/miling for the fast mins, and 5.57's for the steadies. All in the LT effort came out totaling 6.67 miles so not a million miles away from the 7 the plan called for, and i feel i got more out of it than slogging out a 7 miler.

The European indoors should be a good watch this weekend (the Irish and British athletes all done very well last night), so i am looking forward to that, not sure the wife will agree :lol:
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - ill give that a go in a long run sometime on a day im on the flat.

Cal - goos news, hopefully on the mend. Agreed, a hammy issue cost me a DNS at VLM 2018 and a DNF Yeovil 2018.

SQ - agreed, hopefully she will ve well protected now, some countries are only giving one dose if youve already had CV. Nice one on those sessions, a good mix of paces, which i think is goof for the body.

Macca - hope the tune up goes well, your mp run certainly shows you're in good nick. There was supposed to beca Dorney update today, but it looks like theres still no return path from England athletics and run britain yet, racing still hasnt been approved and what restrictions will be needed when it does, and clarity has been asked for re the minimise travel point. Which could make racing localised. There is another meeting next week. I cant help wonder why Goodwood moved back 3 wks, ad Dorney havnt (as yet)?

10m home last night, 8m back this morning. Saw an owl in flight last night before it had actually got dark, made my day as ive onky seen the silhouette of one in the dark before. Saw the silhouette of a badger a couple of weeks ago.......few frothies later, some sort of long run session tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    .......skim listened to Joan B S on Marathontalk yday, she said she did an easy long run, an mlr which included effort and some sort of short race or session each week, topped it up with easy running and that was it......and actually said its not rocket science......but that was 2nd to seeing the owl.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dorney have updated, EA say that events that are CV safe can restart March 29th, but the minimise travel point now becomes the limiting issue, so clarification is being sought.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    5.5m, 10m mp, 5.5m for 21m. The 5.5m was to get me past the hilly bits and get to the flatter lanes. Found the mp tough, but ive been pretty smoked and it was a breezy day. The mp came out 6.40s which was the aim but it wasnt a constant pace or effort due to the breeze. The 5.5m home was a trudge but onwards and upwards.

76m for the week, so a bit less than the last few weeks.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, I've had issues with mine for years - first time it got bad was in 2017 but it eased off. It has grumbled off and on since then but Dorney was the first time it's stopped me running and while I recovered quite quickly, I think the January hills challenge didn't do it any favours.

After a horrible cold walk yesterday, I was keen to run today. It is still not particularly comfortable - unlike when I have a sore achilles, it doesn't seem to improve as I warm up, but at least it doesn't get any worse either. I did 6 miles and it was a bit quicker than the last run so I've got that going for me at least.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...That's class, an owl in full flight must be some sight when you are running. The term "minimise travel" is very vague. Nice MP work in the middle of a long run, i always find it tougher than you'd expect on the legs when you try MP stuff in the middle of a training block with accumulative fatigue, so with that and the wind i wouldn't be too worried, you hit the pace and that's that, good session and move on.

Cal...Good to see you getting another 6 miles in. Hopefully it can ease off and start being a bit more comfortable for you.

Saturday was the standard 10 mile with 10x100 strides for me, followed by my first attempt at a fasted "overrun" long run. It was 28 miles all in, in an out and back route, ran at an easy(ish) pace of 7.13's, taking only water, and a salt tablet every 45 mins (rather than food/energy gels/lucozade), on board to improve fat burning (apparently, so i am told anyway :lol:). Legs where tired, as is normal, but otherwise felt good throughout the run, strong the whole time despite the lack of fueling. And I actually ran the 2nd half quicker (marginally i must say, i was very conscious of not allowing the pace to quicken at all). All in, it was 3 hours 20 mins on feet so a good endurance, as well as confidence boosting run.

That brought me to 113 miles for the week. As i have no tune up races for the next 4 week stage of the plan (which calls for a 1/2 and a 10k) i think i will just run the required "race distance" at MP, and boost the weekly mileage to circa 110 a week, rather than  keep the mini tapers and TT the distance as i am losing the motivation/want to do TT's a bit if i am honest.

Usual Monday double 6 recoveries today.
  • Hamo - nice training ultra 😉 especially at the end of a big week.  At your pace I don’t suppose you have many 3hr+ LRs so as you say, a good endurance and confidence builder.  I don’t blame you with the TTs, no substitute for a race somewhere in the build up.

TR - take some confidence from the MP, as Hamo says, on smoked legs, at the end of a 76m week that looks a good session.  I read the minimise as number of journeys rather than length and the will from the organisers seems to be there, I think they said they would update 12th March (the organisers that is).

Cal - sounds positive, small steps though.

A few lighter days did the trick with the 10k coming in a min quicker than 2 weeks previous.  I knew that would set me up for a leggy LR on Sun and I was right.  I trudged 8.5 miles out, turned round, ready for more trudging but flew 8.5 miles back. I couldn’t believe the difference until I checked the elevation and what I thought was flat with a couple of bumps was actually a steady ascent out and the opposite back.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Good work with the change of pace tempo, hamo. Lots of the elites seem to do this over straight tempo. And woah - hell of a long run on an empty tank. There will most certainly have tapped into fat burning mode. 

Amazing to see the owl, TR. Wonderful sight on a run. I enjoyed JBS on Marathon Talk. Saw a good documentary on Amazon Prime on her as well. My god is she is shape for her age. Great MP run for your. 

Two minutes quicker for the TT is really going some, Macca. Great progression. Love that kind of out and back 😆

A big week of running in the end: 72M including two sessions and a long run. Easily the biggest week since August - just seemed to enjoy the miles. Although tired by yesterday...

15.5 buggy miles on Saturday lunch time at 7:36 pace. Then a very cruisey 6M up on the hill yesterday morning, something like 9m/m. More glorious views. Although as I felt like I wanted to stop about a mile from the car, this was a sign that enough was enough. Playing in the park in the afternoon was a struggle. No having to fake losing races against the kids. 

Working from, er, work again today. Great to be back. Will try to fit in some running later today.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Cal - hope it soon frees up.

Cracking long long run Hamo, you coped well. Agreed re the minimise travel, i took it as stay local, but maybe macca is right

Macca - well done on the 10k and the up and downhill long run. Maybe you've understood the travel rule, we should know bt friday if we need to taper or not......i defo need it. If we get deferred 3 wks, im not sure 3 more weeks will do me much good, ill take an easy week before carrying on (might gamble and make it this week actually).

SQ - i have prime, ill look it up, cheers. Good buggy pace on that long run for sure. I remember those days with the nippers.

10m home tonight, 15m was never going to happen today. Still feeling the miles and saturdays effort, hammy's are tight and legs are heavy......but the OP stuff is improving.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Abo is set for oct 24th, my place from 2020 rolls over. Worth keeping that in case Brighton and/or vlm dont go ahead, Brighton has a chance, i guess vlm might go ahead with no overseas runners.