P&D Spring Marathon 2021

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Grass reps is a good idea SQ

Jools - i do a 20 2 weeks out, just dont make it too hard or too hilly. I drop it down to 12m 1 wk out.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Quick turnaround for a cold and frosty 10m this morning inc 14x3min. Good to be moving a bit quicker.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Hamo - massive mileage weeks, can’t believe you were losing your mojo just a couple of months ago. How does the new course profile compare?

SQ - good session, can’t beat the old adios!

Jools - are you 3 weeks out? If speed endurance is what you need have you thought about swapping the easy LR for some MP miles? Something like 3x5k at MP+5s/MP/MP-5s is a good final LR workout. 

TR - nice return to consistency. 

Tried a new session today, called the Gregson fartlek after the Aussie 1500m runner: 10mins@MP /5x(1 min hard, 1 min float)/10 mins@HMP. Tougher than I realised as it’s continuous with not much let up but managed each 10 mins averaging 6:42/6:21/6:05. That last section was eyeballs out but felt good to hit the pace. Have a local 10k on Sat which will be a good test of where I’m at. 
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...Yea, I can't fault them at all, they are trying their best to get a race on. Nice easy running to recover after your MLR. Was it cold and frosty for you this morning, 16 degrees here, i was baked :lol: Good 3 min reps, nice to get the leg turnover again.

SQ...Nice reps, can't have been easy to run that fast on grass and in the wind, will have provided a good training boost for sure. Achilles behave in the Adios?

John...Same sort of profile, 7ish 3.5 mile loops, pan flat apparently. That is a savage enough looking session, must try it when i'm out of this block, congrats on smashing it.

10 with 10x100 strides this morning, harder work than i wanted for a GA run, but that is to be expected coming to the end of a block i suppose.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Yeah but you’re demonstrating just what a mileage monster you are with 20,15,10 & 10 inc 14x3’ today TR🤣 Might do a couple more 20s though as I’m on holiday again for 2 weeks from Friday so plenty of recovery time.
    Interesting sessions John. Might give that 3x5K session a whirl Thursday or Friday. What’s the recovery between the 5K reps? 1K easy? That Gregson Fartlek’s a tough 30 minutes. Impressive progression in your paces
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    John - that session sounds tough, good to have a change up though.

Hamo - nearly taper time, you've put in a real good effort. Yes frost on cars and in the country running lanes here.

Jools - fair point, but if youre on leave then you can defo do one next midweek time permitting.......agreed re my last few days that lot was all done in LT 72 hrs.......ive been looking at doing 20 inc 13.1 saturday, which is what i did 3 wks before Goodwood in Sept, but i might change it up and do 10mp friday, and 20 easy saturday. I'll mull it over. Im happy im in ok shape, i just dont think im where i was, but dont want to kill myself testing my fitness.....although to be fair whatever happens I'll try to run a pretty safe sub3 as im not sure what shape im in compared to pre CV........and the wind will no doubt turn up anyway.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    TR Surely you’d be better doing the 20M Sunday if you’re going to do 10M@MP Friday with an easy hour’s recovery Saturday. Would that be Goodwood MP, which I’m guessing will be 6:45-6:50, or your potential MP? ie 10-15s/mile quicker than that.
    Agreed: midweek does seem like a good opportunity to get an extra 20 done.
    Proper hot on my 5M recovery this afternoon. Ran bare chested for most of it & hugged any shade I could find. Reminded me of VLM18🥵🥵
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - im running home tomorrow so hopefully itll be warm.....yes, i could move the days around......the mp route is pretty lumpy so its pretty much as fast as i can do it on the day, which i think roughly averages out to be approx mp. I did 13.1 approx 1.27.0X, 3 times last summer. 10m might be a bit slower av pace as the missing 3m would be flatter and brings the av pace down......its certainly not rocket science, more a wet finger in the air. Ive done some long chunks av 6.5X in long runs in recent months, but that wasnt mp effort, a build up 1/2 mara would have been good......
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Jools - yes 1k recoveries. It’s a good session to dial into target MP, see what HR comes out for each 5k and Robert’s your mum’s brother. 

TR - This could also help you figure out what pace to set out at. 
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Jools...You could fit in a 20 miler no bother with being off, just make sure you use "free" the time to properly recover. Nice recovery yesterday, the weather has been beautiful this last couple of days alright, though i haven't went as far as suns out, guns out yet :lol:

TR...You definitely are in good shape, no need to kill yourself on a session to prove it to yourself. 

10 miles with 6x1200 off 2 mins recovery for me this morning. Hard enough work, but pleased with splits of 3:47, 48, 50, 47, 48, 49.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Can a few folks Flag the above post by kayen as spam and it will be deleted.

Hamo - good stuff still going well.

John -  sounds a good session, id never be able to be that precise, a good one for your treadie.

10m home tonight. Maybe ill stick with the original plan of 20 inc 13 on saturday, might ease the pace back a bit, we'll see how i feel. Probably a good idea to a bit more longer effort in though as its been a few weeks.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...Nice 10 miler. 13@ MP 3 weeks out wouldn't be a bad thing, plenty of time to recover heading into the taper, while providing a nice confidence boost. For what its worth, my last long run on Sunday (24 mile) will include 5x5k @ MP.

Last 15 mile MLR of the plan this morning for me, decent enough run, averaging 6.33's for the distance. Just checked my March stats, i knew it would be my biggest month ever, but surprised at 487 mile :flushed:
  • John - agreed, a tough looking session, well done on the pace for the final section.  I got my Next% a few months ago with the birthday discount and they have sat in the box until now, when the updated version has come out🤣.

Jools - don’t remind me of VLM2018😂. With all that Everesting I think you’ll run strong if you get the pacing right.

SQ - perhaps you could push the buggy with a few bags of sand in it ? (I don’t think I’m convincing you it’s a good idea am I ? ).  Back to full/half dilemma, I think you could knock out a very decent long run day today if you were minded to😉.

TR -  FWIW , I’d go with the longer run with some MP. There’s been plenty of good work these last few months it’s just the unknown of how much the illness and jab has taken out of you.  A do your best on the day in the conditions scenario.

Hamo - that is a monster month with plenty of quality in there, it deserves a return so fingers crossed for Cheshire.

Well into taper here.  Those little 6m runs suddenly feel like quite an effort, maybe partly the heat.  Just over 1400m invested over the last 18 weeks (79mpw).  I can’t promise the excitement of Kew Gardens , unless the beet-it shots make an explosive appearance but I understand live tracking will be available on FB 🤣
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Hamo - youve put in a massive couple of years, you are defo due some ROI, Wrexham should be just the ticket, there's a lot of sharp runners going there.

Macca - cracking work, you put the miles in too. With the 5ks and P and D sessions in the mix, you are well placed to go well. Ive done my bit and helped you with the weather.

5m easy this morning, minimum commute distance, dont think i could have run 10m if i wanted to today. Easy day tomorrow and then the long run session saturday. Nice to have a few days off work too.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

I reckon with your training history, 20M two weeks out wouldn’t be detrimental, Jools. But nor do I think you need it given the aggregate volume this year. VLM 2018 🥵 indeed. 

Good effort with the reps, TR. Some significant temperature swings this week. 

That session is roughly what I did today, John - good call! That fartlek sounds a very tough workout - especially with the final section faster than the firs.t Very impressive.

Cheers, hamo. Achilles fine on Monday, although a bit achey this afternoon after this morn’s long run. Must be weird not knowing which course it will be, but actually the important thing for you is all the similarly speedy people to run with. 

😆 enjoyed that, Macca. Agree with your thoughts on taper runs. It soon seems absurd that you ever run a double digit run! Best of luck at the weekend. Give us a wave on the live stream. 

Easy 8M around around the racecourse on Tuesday - nice trails. Doesn’t seem a tough route on paper, but I always seem to struggle a little with this. 

8M easy on the roads yesterday lunchtime. Felt wind doing my standard buggy loop without a buggy. Like it was for everyone, very hot. Definitely a little burnt from having a vest on. 

Pulled the trigger and updated my Shepperdine entry (25th April) to marathon. Thought I would do this now as they are 80% sold out in the marathon, but only 65% in the half. Will give it one more long run next week before making a definite decision. 

Slightly sore nips last week’s long run, so wore plasters this morning - with yellow unicorns be the only available 😆. First dawn chorus in a very long time today, with a 5:10am kick off. 

75 minutes easy, heading into town for the first time in months. An incredible amount of boozing litter in Montpellier Park - must have been some party last night. Probably only missed in by a short while. 

Then into 3 x 15 mins MP effort, 15 easy. First on block was uphill into the wind (good planning, Hand). About 7:10 uphill then 6:30 down 😆. Easies were about 7:20 pace, with the next two ons at about 6:55. 

All in 2h45, 22.4M with 600ft climbing at 7:23 pace. Pleasing, although marginally alarming that it was only 10s/M faster than last week’s 20 with a buggy - and for significantly more effort! I guess the early start was a shock to the system. 

Will look for 3h total time on feet next week - with 4 x 20 mins at MP effort, depending on levels of energy/fatigue. Quite enjoying a compressed marathon campaign! 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - agreed,  ive not run in any sun yet thoug........excellent news on the race upgrade. Thats a atrong long run too. Your build back up from injury has set you up well. There'll be a few of us running a mara at the same time in 3 different places.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice one SQ. That’s a cracking LR, no buggy but windier & hillier, which demonstrates you’re in good nick for a sub 3. Guessing you were off work already then?
    24M with 5x5K@MP is a huge run Hamo!
    Easy recovery day for me yesterday with just 4.5M. Warm one again so bare-chested for most of it.
    Massive double today though with a 5M Fartlek at lunch with the lads 10 x 1’/1’ averaged 7:35 overall. Got out this evening for my 2nd 20. Trotted around the flat lanes, towpath & riverbank near work mostly at 7:xx
    The tarmac sections were considerably speedier than the rutted/slippery off-road stuff. A lot of the off-road was into the wind too including the last 4.5M.
    I’d decided against the 3x5K session today when I saw the wind forecast. The off-road sections would’ve ruined the paces too so glad I had.
    Easy day tomorrow 😆
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Best of luck tomorrow at Dorney Macca. Looks breezy but at least the temperature will be much more conducive to marathon running than it was.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Macca...The Birthday discount comes in handy when you are buying the magic shoes :lol: Can't understand why the new versions are cheaper than the old ones though, very unlike Nike. You know you are well into the taper when 6 miles feel like a massive run :lol: That is an excellent 18 week build up, full of quality and consistency so i am expecting good things...and hopefully no beet shot explosions :lol: All the very best for tomorrow, I'll have an eye on the tracker.

TR...Agreed, I am looking forward to the few days off work myself, they will help you recover a bit more too, even in a small way. Sensible only running 5 when you where feeling knackered.

SQ...Fair play to you pulling the trigger and upping the distance for the end of the month..good decision, as is proven by the excellent MP'd long run you put in, that was some run esp at that time of the morning.  Love the unicorn nip protectors, i have been there myself, usually Peppa Pig covers mine :lol:

Jools...Last big one of the plan, finish with a bang :flushed: :lol: I enjoy a 1 on 1 off fartlek, good work, even better work that you backed that up with a 20 miler, that is a big day...no doubting your endurance anyway. Enjoy your well deserved easy day.

10 mile GA this morning for me.

Latest Wrexham update is they are having a virtual meeting with the council on Tuesday regarding road closures etc (apparently they will be diverting traffic from England, into Wales and back out again, which is causing a few issues) but he is hopeful that they will get the final go ahead then...so a few more days of fingers crossed waiting and then we'll know whats happening one way or the other.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice, thats a big day. Defo looking strong. You have time for another 1 or 2 more yet......i guess you're off to NDevon, i was remembering that we went there for a week at Easter 2012 and i was doing my pre vlm 3 min reps on at lane near a place called Woolfardisworthy.

Hamo - fair play to the Wrexham guys then, they are trying hard. I assumed they had clearance for a elite race course, which is why they moved from Wrexham.

Macca - go well. Look fwd to your result.

6m easy peasy today, mp run tomorrow, looks windy unfortunately, but running in the wind might be good practice.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Wrexham has got to get the go ahead surely. You could always join us at Shepperdine if not Hamo.
    Stiff today. Just the one short trail run: 4.3 miles but I did preface it with a lumpy 3hr bike ride 🤣 No heroics though I did hit 44mph on a downhill apparently!
    Definitely taking an easy day tomorrow as want to do another 20 Sunday.
  • Thanks all, all pizza/pasta’d up now.

For a bit of fun / accounabiliy

A sub 2:45
    B sub 2:48:10 (club age record)
    C sub 3
    D sub 3:15 GFA renewal
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    What odds are Ladbrokes offering? ;) 
  • 🤣 it’s like the Grand National, any one of those results could occur.  Training numbers point to just under 2:45......if the stars align. 🤞 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    All the George (best) macca, I'll be thinking of you when im doing my long run.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Hope you’re going well, Macca. I’m sad enough to have tried to spot you on the live stream 😆 
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Seen you on the live stream Macca, and just checked your result. Awesome work, super time and 2nd in your age cat, can’t ask for more than that 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Great run Macca, cracking effort, was breezy here, so no doubt it was at Dorney too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    The breezy day nearly convinced me to sack off my mp run, but i need to know where my fitness is......so 4m, 13.1m, 3m......last summer i did the 13.1 which is lumpy in the first couple and last couple of miles 3 times between 1.27.01 and 1.27.14......1.27.42 today, some of the deficit will be due to the breeze, so thankfully im not too far behind where i was.
  • A quick check in, done in 2:45:51. So good to be back in a race.  Legs tired the last 4 miles but only 10-15secs per mile, maybe an enthusiastic start but it’s been a while.  Really enjoyed it, even the “how am I going to reach those shoe to untie then moment”.  The wind was at right angles for 90% of the course so not really a factor.  More detail later but for now I’ll bask in being the countries 3rd fastest v50 marathoner 🤣