P&D Spring Marathon 2021

Comments

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Just realised 4 of you have marathons this Sunday, almost feels like it used to be around this time of year. 

Good luck hamo, TR, Jools and SQ. You’re all in great shape to hit your various goals so fingers crossed the weather cooperates. Are there any live trackers available?

Cal - nicely controlled rehab and return to running. I see junior parkrun is back so regular ones can’t be far behind. (Jools - I think a jeff is a run/walk, named after Jeff Galloway)

strangely enjoying getting back into P&D already, I thought it would be more of a drag. Maybe it’s because my legs still feel pretty fresh, once the miles pile up and I get that heavy feeling every morning I’m sure I won’t be so keen. Got 4x4km done at the weekend just to see what came out as MP. Felt good for the first 3 sets but last one was hard work, still at least it’s done. Came out around 6:35/mile pace so a decent marker to build on. Today was the first LT and managed 6:15/mile pace, hard work but happy to tick it off. Bought some new shoes as well - NB Rebel v2 and Reebok Symmetros. The NB have had amazing reviews and the Reebok were cheap as chips. 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Haha - love an accidental 1000ft run, Jools. Some nice sharpening from you in recent days. Sub-3 definitely possible from me, but on a much shorter build up, so less certainty about the latter stages. 

You’re right, Macca - beet it is the only trick I didn’t pull out. Due to be delivered tomorrow! 700M of racing left this year 😆

John - you should go well at Gold 

Coast. With the trail base build, then recent sharper stuff, you are in a good place. 

That’s great that you did a course recce, Jools. And thanks for the feedback on strava. Useful to keep in mind the two little bumps on the return. So it is something like: 5.25 out, 3 x 5M loops, 5.25 back?

Interesting that you will go for Alphas over NExt%, hamo. Is that as you prefer them, or they are a newer and fresher pair?

Good going in the breeze, TR. This is probably TMI, but I file my feet daily to keep the corns at bay! 

Rounded off last week with a sort of double Sunday: a return to junior parkrun as a starter. I genuinely couldn’t have been happier to see all the kids out there running with smiles on their faces. And I had to put in considerably more effort to keep up with my daughter than 14 months ago! And then for the main course was 13 buggy miles. 62M for the week, with one quality session – continues the recent consistency.

So, into race week – first time I have thought of that in a long time! Recovery five on the trails yesterday, and a sharpener of a session this morn: 7M total, with 2M at what was probably just above marathon effort (6:45s), then 2 x 2 minutes at half marathon effort (6:30, 6:20).  

Will keep the rest of the week very light. Have been doing some gentle visualisation to think about different moments in the race, and am also on day six of a Headspace course (ten minutes a day) about sports motivation. Easy going so far, but surprisingly good.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jools - run/walk intervals, named after Jeff Galloway (see http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ ). 

Due to the early massage tomorrow I decided to risk  running again today (didn't think I'd fancy it after 6 miles of walking and an early start) and it was fine - hammy was less grumpy than yesterday, even. I kept to 5K this time but did 9 run/1 walk which came in at 32:50 - quite quick considering. I think my stride is a bit longer, maybe from all the hamstring rehab.

hamo, I must say I never directly carb load - I just eat the same carbs as normal. Which is quite a lot I guess since I tend to eat a lot of oats and potatoes. Good luck though.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    9/1 run/walk seems a very sensible comeback, Cal. Fingers crossed.

Did you ever get through the bag of horse oats?!

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cheers Cal/John  for explaining that.
    Good progress & not a bad 5K time for a run/walk combo.
    Not sure P&D will make you faster per se John, just able to maintain speed for longer. Saying that you seem to be pretty sharp just now anyway so should do well.
    SQ If it starts in the same place as the Fission 20M, then it's 5.25M to the loop, 5.1M per loop & 5.65 back to the finish at HQ. Means the start is about 600m from HQ. There are 3 lumps to negotiate between 2 & 5K which you hit again on the return. Apart from that it's a pancake flat course but very exposed. At least on the loop you're regularly changing direction so any wind exposure will be short lived.
    Your 62 last week makes me feel better about my 61.5.
    That's a tasty run today.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Jools. Good to know what is coming up. Boring weather alert - looks like most of the return leg will be headwind!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    John - agreed with jools, p and d will make you strong, sounds like you will do well on it after a break from it.

SQ - nice work today, similar to me but with the extra hm pace. Agreed, i need to do some regular filing to avoid the duscomfort that goes with irregular filing, im no doubt going to have to suck up some discomfort sunday, but after a while everything hurts anyway.

Agreed jools laps is better if the eind is strong, i wondered why the met office had put wind gusts for sunday in bold letters today.......

Cal - oh i like it. I assumed it was from a painful run where you are effing and jeffimg cos of the issues.......fwiw coach john on IMTalk ran a 2.3X mara as a run walk once to prove that olks could still run well off it, but he was very strict with the timings and the walk was brisk.
  • TR that’s exactly what I used to think it meant, folks swearing as they didn’t like running.  Cal.  - Great that you seem to be making more progress now

Good to read that everyone got through the weekend ok with some sensible MP miles and course recc’ing. As John says with 4 runners it’s like the good old days.
    Keep the weather /carb chat coming.

Interesting on the mental side of things SQ.  I picked up a couple of bits on a zoom talk but completely forgot about them on race day.  My favourite was “feeding on others misery” sounds harsh but basically trying to feel stronger passing people in the later
    stages. 

I’ve been using a foot cheese grater too-  pretty gross as you end up with a pot of Parmesan cheese. I bought a book on foot care after a few horrendous ultras.

Hopefully a couple of decent mileage weeks in prep
    for 5x 100s a couple of 50s and 2x maras (not all at once but closer than I would ideally choose).

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Macca - ive tended to leave the parmesan on, as i thought it protected, ill join the graters next week.......i can always wear my Pegasus i suppose as they will protect a bit more than the Rides..........thats a pretty race dauntimg schedule there, i have rolled over mara's in july, sept, oct (x2) and dec.
  • TR - To be fair I’ve read of both ways , leave it or grate it off.  Leaving it hasn’t worked for me in the past , cracked feet in the cold and macerated feet in the wet so I’m hoping for a different outcome.  Too many races is hopefully a measure that we are in a better place although I see MK and Richmond have been put back recently.  Essex marathon seems to have gone off well last week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - yes, its probably best to keep the parmesan in check, will do so from next week. I used the pegs today, they are more comfortable but heavier, so I'll not wear them. Not surprised re Richmond and MK as i can still only see CV safe racing for a while.

5m easy run in today, the predicted gusts of 30mph are interfering with my motivation, but its an uncontrollable and not as bad as the 40mph from last time, hopefully a more fsvourable direction too. As soon as they make supershoes that have full body wind breaks incorporated im all over it.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...It is about race day prep is right, and your legs should be used to MP effort now with that amount of it in the last few weeks. 2:3x from run/walking is some serious shifting, he must have been hammering the run parts, serious going. I am keeping everything crossed for you that the winds/gusts aren't anywhere near as bad as predicted. Easier said than done i know, but try and not overthink about them too much.

Jools...Hopefully the easy running will have eased the stiff legs. Good idea getting the runs in early this week to get used to the early starts again. I will "snap" you and SQ with a 62 mile week last week myself.

John...Agreed, all this marathon talk is making it feel almost "normal" again. Not sure about trackers, but i know the Cheshire marathon i am doing is live streaming the race, with the sharp end having pacers for 2:09/2:10 pace :flushed: as well as pacers for the Womans Olympic qualifying time of 2:29.30, so should be a good watch. Fair play to you getting back into a p&d block so soon, that is a lovely MP rep session, i enjoy the X by Xk at MP type runs. LT runs are always hard work, class running.

SQ...I think i prefer the Alphas over the marathon distance, I have a pair of each (ALpha and Nxt) with one marathon race on each pair, so much of a muchness in that regard between the two. I've been doing my MP miles in training in a pair of tempo nxt %'s and love them, and they seem to just be a heavier more durable version of the alphas, which is why i am plumping for them. Absolutely brilliant Junior Parkrun is back, it is a wonderful thing...hopefully ours won't be too far behind. That is a lovely sharpener of a session, the MP then HMP is good stimulus. Interesting about the visualisation/sports physcology, something i do very little of but know that i should.

Cal...I knew what jeffing was, just didn't know where the term came from, interesting. Good job that the hamstring is feeling better, and that is a good 5k time, good work all round.

Macca...I like "feeding on the misery", i will remember that and try and be the feeder, rather than the food on Sunday :lol: I'll never look at Parmesan the same way again :flushed::lol: That is a serious race schedule for the rest of the year.

9 mile with 2.5 at Marathon Pace this morning, felt a bit heavy legged in the warm up, but otherwise ok, and averaged 5.40's for the MP. Happy with that for the last leg spinner. Easy running and eating is the name of the game now :lol:
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Macca That’s a crowded calendar!
    Another 4.5M before work this morning. Very easy to 2.5M then 5x100m strides off 200m easy. Distances very approximate as watch is in imperial & I’d not set up a program. Never really got going tbh but didn’t want to force anything at this stage. Still quicker than MP at least. Body was very stiff & creaky after getting back in the pool for the first time in almost 18 months: 5x 400m was probably a bit ambitious in the circumstances 😆 Got ‘em done but it wasn’t quick or pretty.
    Not going again til next week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Glad the mp run went well Hamo. Defo no trackers at GW, just a few loons running round a track lots of times.

Jools - steady on with the swimming come back. I like the strides though.

4m inc 5 x 30sec here, must be getting vlose to race time. Soon be time to find some gels and safety pins.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Jools...Sensible not forcing anything now, the strides will have helped loosen everything up anyway. 

TR... :lol: Hope they've used that "loons running around a track" as their PR quotes :lol: Nice easy running and strides.

6 very easy miles this morning for me, will do 5 tomorrow with a few strides before getting the plane in the afternoon.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - getting the plane makes it exciting.

I was reading about that Big dog last person standing ultra on bbc, makes 11 laps of a windy motor cct seem a bit more doable.
  • Hamo - all the best with the travel arrangements.  From
    memory it’s a bit of climbing then descending straight away, my kind of flight.  

TR - I haven’t read that yet but I did see someone saying the picture of the guy in a chair put him right off.

Jools - I might have waited 18m + 1 week for the pool but I like your style.

SQ - hope your chomping at the bit.

All the best all 4, feel free (or not) to post a,b,c targets - marathon jealousy here😀
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - its a good read, they are a crazy bunch......only trouble is i can see you trying to get an entry if you read it.......my first target is not to sack it off friday and drink a load of frothies in a sulk cos of the 40mph wind forecast, then waking up Saturday and realising if i sacked it off i had no alternative race, so had to run it anyway........the Big Dog ultra folks will get me round.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    TR keep the faith. That’s the maximum gusts. It’s still well below 20 🤞
    It’s gotta be better than IoW was: that was cold & wet too. Temperature looks to be perfect even if the wind speed does keep nudging up.
    Another 4.5M with 5x110(ish)m strides again 1st thing. 
    Really taking this tapering lark seriously: rode my MTB to accompany the rugby lads on their lunchtime 5M!
    For you Macca:
    A < 3:05
    B < 3:10
    C < 3:20
  • I hear you TR - but (and apologies if I’ve posted this before) I remember turning up for a footy match with 9 players against one of the stronger/nastier teams in the division.  I was well up for sacking it off and taking a 0-3 but the player/manager insisted we could still play well.  How I laughed, but he was right. We got beat but played well. Pep talk over....race face on, run well.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Jools - to be fair you copped a crap day at IoW, i was at southsea on the beach with the dog when you were running and the wind and rain were brutal.

Macca - im up for the rumble, im just familiar with the pissing into the wind (and losing time) that goes with coastal racing (or airfield racing) and i dont have a lot of sub3 buffer. Same tactics as last time i guess and try to hover inside 3 hr pace for as long as possible , but without being quite so exact by the finish......... it surely has to be a better day at Goodwood on july 4th............
  • Cheers Jools, all the best.  

TR - if all else fails.....find someone big to run behind.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    TR - good luck and macca's advice is spot on! You've got the strength to get through gusts and you should be better prepared mentally after last time. The Big Dog motivation is a good idea when it gets tough, fingers crossed you get into a decent group.

Jools - good to see the tapering kick in, those targets look very achievable with the build up you've had. See how you feel by halfway and am sure you'll finish strong.

Hamo - safe travels, it's a good trigger to switch into race mode. Sounds like there will be a very decent field to run with and that 2:29 pacer is just perfect if you decide to go with it. I think the Alphas will be the right choice for those last few miles, sounds like you are able to get the most out of the airpods.

SQ - like the mental prep, you seem to have peaked at the right time so I can see a strong race from you. Let's see how the buggy running pays off!

Looking forward to some race reports next week, good luck all and DBS.

First full week of running in a while and managed 6k@LT on Tues (felt pretty hard but the first of these always do), at least it was a bit faster than my recent HMP so in the right ball park. I got the NB Rebel v2 yesterday and took them out for a spin. Massive foam stack and light, like the RC Elite without the carbon plate. Chose to do 20 mins/5x3mins/20 mins, the first block was hard but once I got used to the bounciness it felt good. The 5x3mins were tough as usual, hitting around 10k pace. But then the last 20 mins was maybe the best I've felt doing a tempo outside of a race. 6:25/mile felt almost comfortable, I imagine I'll be running in this a lot. 
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...Agreed, that last man standing/big dog ultra is a madness. They hold 2 here every year, 1 autumn, 1 spring and they are always well supported (i know a few who have done them) and last for days. It is mad going to bed on the Saturday night and wakening up to see your mate still running the next day :flushed: 100% up Maccas street :lol: No sulking, keep the frothies until Sunday p.m, and hopefully the wind won't be as bad as feared, the temps etc look perfect if nothing else, for racing and frothies later. 

Macca...Yea, you are not up til your down on those flights, my Brother lives in Stockport so i'm used to it which is good. The picture of your man in the chair that the beeb used is a good representation of how I guess you'd feel during it alright :lol: I enjoyed that pep talk, and you are 100% right.

Jool...Nice strides, and good to see you commit to the taper, I certainly think A target is on.

John...Congrats getting a full week in, and lovely LT work, they are always tough. That is a cracking tempo session too. Must look into the rebel v2, sound like a good shoe.

5 miles with 5 strides this morning. The waves where published for Cheshire/Wrexham/whatever :lol:, i am in the 6th wave out of 12, so happy with that, but shows the depth of the field as i put down a 2.30 predicted finish if memory serves :flushed: 

For Macca...

Goal A* - sub 2:30 (can't see it, but that is a perfect, stars aligning kind of a day), but in all reality...
    A - As close to 2:30 as i can get
    B - under 2:32.39 (to make my unofficial pb official)
    C - Under 2:38.00 (new pb)
    D - Don't make a cock out myself in front of a lot of proper fast runners :flushed: :lol:

I will try to get on tomorrow, i am sure i will as i'll not be doing much, but just in case i can't/don't...All the very best TR, Jools and SQ, smash it on Sunday. Expecting 3 class races and race reports.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone. Just thought I'd drop in after noticing Hamo's taper on strava.

Hamo- Your training has been amazing, so consistent and some fast running too. I think you should be full of confidence to go sub 2:30. I don't think I could've run those sessions even when I was at my fittest.

TR - Find a group, tuck in and turn off. If you can do that, there's every chance of running a good time.

My running has been pretty poor recently (although better than most of last year), averaging about 35 mpw. Feel like I could run a decent half but marathon fitness is way off.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    John - agreed, as macca said hopefully there'll be the odd person to tuck in behind, i think its groups of 4 every 10 secs and theres about 40 ahead of me......good session that i like those sessions, very BAC like, i used to enjoy them, good as an mlr as they total a few miles.

Hamo - im excited for you to be in a quality field, exactly what you need. You will have plenty of folks to run with esp if you are on pace for your A target, there has to be a sub 230 group.........the frothies are staying in the shop til sunday.

Whilst im being a moany fckr about the wind, its an uncontrollable and there's nothing i can do about it. I am up for the battle, but i hope to have a 20m snooze and a 10k race ideally, as i need to keep calm and not chase the race in the first 1/2, best to wait for it to find me. Ive opted for a 2.57 pace band (for reference), as i know the sub 255 splits from memory (3m every 20mins), and i dont know how much the wind will slow me. 6.50s would see me scrape a sub 3, but last time my psce graph was like a sawtooth waveform anyway.

2m inc 5x30sec efforts done.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Hamo  - best of luck! Have you watched ‘The Welsh Runner’ latest video? He does a useful (for me) preview of the Cheshire Marathon. Looks like you have some near perfect weather, with the only exposed side of the triangle being with a tailwind. You have trained hard and I have no doubt you will give it your all on the morning. Really hope you enjoy the process and get a result you are happy with. Go for it! Are the family going over with you?

TR – the wind does look stronger as you head south. But as you say, it is largely an uncontrollable. Draft where you can, but remember that laps will mean you are never stuck with a wind direction for too long. You have also trained consistently hard – enjoy reaping the benefits! I enjoyed our cool down laps together at Goodwood a couple of years ago. Don’t suppose you’ll be doing a ten mile cool down this time!

Jools – I see the start times have been published. It looks like there are a handful of 5hr+ runners at 0900, then the speedsters. I am 09:13:40, and you a couple of minutes later. I hope this still means we get to catch up before or after. You have had a great build up. Consistent strength running through lockdown, recent sharpeners, and more consistency than ever more. I really hope you are able to measure out your effort on the day and therefore really get the most from yourself. FOD vest?

HA – good to hear from you! Has been great to see an increase in miles and pace from your on strava. Hope you keep popping into here as well.

John – lovely BAC-style session. I have definitely burned through my shoe budget for now, but keen on NB being my next pair of faster treads.

Taper week for me as well, with just easy jogging since Tuesday’s mini session. Delighted to meet spoons for 5M easy with a couple of strides yesterday afternoon. Really lovely to saunter along the riverside in the sun, chewing the fat.

Final details for Shepperdine have now been published. Runners set off as individuals, with a 10s gap in between. I was hoping for maybe groups of six, to enable a bit more drafting, but this is clearly something out of my control so need to not worry. Forecast is nice and cool to start with – ranging from 6 – 11C. Slightly tasty wind for the majority of the final five miles, but hopefully there will be a few runners ahead who are starting to slow by this point and I can tag on.

As this was a less traditional build up, I thought I would try a couple of new things on race day – breaking all the rules! New More Mile socks ordered – just the standard London pairs that are cheap but have served me well over the years. Maurten gels for the first time. Didn’t order them in time for a long run practice and it is too much of a faff with thinking about insulin to take one randomly. A gamble, but one worth taking I hope.

Targets: A sub-3, B finish strong and enjoy the day. I have been focussing on running with good form, pacing myself sensibly, remembering that bad times in a race don't last for ever, and getting my  head round some of the start logistics. Most importantly, I'm very excited for a first road race in 14 months. Bring it on!

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Hi guys - just dropping in to say massive amounts of good luck and everything crossed for Hamo / TR / Jools / SQ this weekend.
    And well done to Macca on a fantastic result at Dorney
    I haven't been posting just lurking so keeping up with your exploits on here and on Strava. Looking forward to seeing how you all get on this weekend!
    And I promise I will get back on posting here propoerly again in the near future :smile:
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Glad you’ve rediscovered your running mojo AWC. Look forward to hearing more from you anon.
    HA good to have you pop in.
    Running well this year John. Must be all those marathons you banked last year.
    Good man TR. Race well. I’m sure your sense & strength will see you through.
    Hamo best of luck with the weather & stars. 
    I went back to my original 37 minutes SQ after my route recce as I’d rather set out conservatively and hopefully get quicker than get greedy early. I also figure having folk to chase down will be motivational. I’ll have the old style FoD vest on though an updated version so brighter green than my original one. It also has Forest of Dean Athletic Club on the back which is an improvement.
    Definitely hope to catch you beforehand for a brief warm-up. Hopefully won’t be seeing you during the race as it’ll mean something’s gone wrong 😆
    I’ll be aiming to run somewhere between the A & B targets having seen the wind forecast. If I finish the final lap feeling strong then I’ll push on. 

Groundhog Day here with another 4.5M first thing including 5x0.07M. Legs were feeling fresh & the strides flowed nicely 😎

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Jools and SQ, just skimmed the thread, didn't realise you were racing also on the weekend. Good luck. 
    I'll watch out for the results on Strava.
    Great to see some racing finally happening.