Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2021

Comments

• Options
    Nice double digit runs. Lucky with the weather Cal.
    Raining & a nasty headwind for my cycle commute first thing too Hamo. Copped a soaking for my lunchtime 6M - strangely no-one joined me :D 
    Fortunately it was dry a few hours later for my commute home so I stretched it slightly to 7.5M.
    Brings the required run rate down to 9.8 B)
  • Options
    TR - I just tried to say your fishing sentence in my head. Could barely manage it slowly, never mind quickly three times lol😆. The one minute reps were all out effort - definitely not full pace! Rehabbing nicely 🤞,  and it’s great to build some consistency. Ability to run mileage is increasing, although top end stuff proving much slower to return. Still, enjoying the process 😊. Nice MLR from you.

Impressed with that LT, Macca - not far off as hard a session as it gets. 

Sorry to miss you, Jools. Although fantastic you’ll get to spend the break in such a beautiful part of the world. Enjoy!

10M at 7:50 pace again along the canal. First run in the pissing rain for a long time. Loved it! Understandably tired, so kept HR at the new easy level -circa 130 - 138. Enjoyed some Inside Running and Mikipedia.

A few squats and straight leg deadlifts in the gym to keep that side of things ticking over during the Christmas break. I still wonder whether not doing any weights for six months earlier this year contributed to the stress fracture - lots of evidence for them helping with bone density. 
  • Options
    Call out for any lurkers, newcomers or old timers yet to post. Joe, spoons, HA, Tom, FBT, HPR - who am I forgetting?
  • Options
    Love a new thread - thanks for setting up TR.

I read up most mornings, but then tend to get distracted with work and other bits and forget to post. Anyway, let's hope 2021 is a bit better than 2020!

As I think TR mentioned, ran Goodwood marathon a couple of weeks back (2:56) to keep the 5-year sub-3 streak in tact. It was a bit of a struggle to be honest, and reminded me that you can never take the marathon for granted!

We've recently got a puppy so lots of time being taken up looking after him, which is really fun.

Lot's of stress going on with a potential house move - it's been an utter nightmare to be honest and we've already lost a load of money. No sign of an end yet either!

Look forward to following everyones adventures for another year.
  • Options
    You should post a picture of Stanley here, Joe, he's adorable. I expect he's getting a bit bigger now though eh?

7 at recovery pace today - gorgeous sunny weather but as I went out late (10am) the commons were full of small children and small dogs so I constantly had to slow down to avoid falling over one. Fortuantely I was intentionally going slowly, otherwise I'd have been annoyed.
    Legs felt tired.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - under 10 a day to go, top work.

SQ - i got you on the all out effort, good to see you going well. Agreed on the s and c, id like to do more but it annoys my OP type issue.

Joe - noted the 2.56, id have loved that whe i was there. You have a lot on the go, what breed is yr puppy ? 

Nice to get out in the sun cal.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    9m inc the last 4 approx mp +10% today. A shock to the system for sure, but i thought id push the envelope a bit as im not allowed to exercise tomorrow as its my plasma assessment and donation (no booze, no exercise, no fatty food, plenty of clear fluids - its like a taper).

Completes 4 wks of being back running, im getting more miles done and for less discomfort, and am doing a lot more than the first few runs. Today was a shock, but it should come back. My lungs werent too bad. 8 wks til Goodwood which might be a step too far but I'll take a 2.59, 15 wks til Dorney.

Lets hope the public reign Christmas in a bit and we are back in tier 2 or 1 by then. Its high here at the mo and rising.
  • Options
    Well, my half is cancelled. Option to postpone to Autumn next year but, damn it.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Guess all 3 of you are Tier 3 now?
    Plenty of miles & some hard turbo intervals: not surprised your lungs were ok TR. Still hard work sustaining pace when you’ve got used to plodding as I know only too well. Good citizenship on the plasma donation. Enjoy the enforced rest. Wet n windy here tomorrow.
    Good to here from you Joe. Well done on the sub-3. Sounded tougher than usual for you. Good luck on the house move.
    Nice easy running Cal.
    Fortunately I’m still free to travel so can fell race on Saturday & go spend Christmas in Devon with the GF 😊
    6 & 5 double today with a bit of fartlek in the latter. Did 16M on the bike after work too but very slow. Just spinning the legs out really.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Jools - your Christmas break sounds great to me. Id take a couple of weeks running in N Devon for sure. Im still a bit concerned over any lung damage that might be lurking, ive developed a shocking taste this week too,,which can happen afterwards.
  • Options
    Jools...The run rate is looking very good now. Good news that you can still travel and see the girlfriend, and of course that the race is still on, best of luck for it. 

SQ...Nice 10 miler down the canal, bound to be nice doing those sorts of runs.

Joe...Good to hear from you. Hope the house move works out ok, and congrats on the puppy. Lovely work to keep the sub 3 streak alive.

Cal...Nice recovery run, can't go too slow on those so the kids and small animals wont have done any harm. Shame about the half being cancelled.

TR...Lovely +10 miles, i'm sure it was a shock to the system, but you are right it'll not be long coming back. Good to see the progression over 4 weeks. Best of luck today, lovely thing to do.

Double recoveries for me yesterday, 6 and 5 miles. This morning was the first of a new type of session i am adding into the plan, relaxed k reps. So the idea is to run between 10k and half pace (so not slacking, but not flat out) but relaxed and not pushing it. Aim for 3.20 reps and if you miss the time by being too fast or slow, or start to strain to hit the time pull the session whether you are on rep 1 or 8. The 8 reps where done in a range of 3.20 - 3.22 and felt nice and relaxed, and like i could have carried on with more reps, so a pleasing 1st session all in. WU and CD meant 10 mile in total for the day.

The low key marathon i was going to run after Christmas has been cancelled now, our Government announced new very strict restrictions starting on Boxing day for 6 weeks, so that's that, no races til February. But i am happy enough knowing that is the case now, instead of looking at things week by week, and i am in a training block now so shouldn't effect me too much running wise. As long as people behave, as TR says over Christmas, and this has the effect on the virus we are hoping for i am happy enough.

• Options
    A new thread!! I haven't posted for a while, but have still been running. 59 miles last week, will hit 60 this week then a cut back over Xmas before another 3 weeks of 60+ miles. Not sure my 6 hour event will even go ahead, but I'll train like it is.
    Tuesdays have been 10*4 mins last week and 12*4 mins this week paces being 6:25 (last)/6:30(this).
    Last Saturday I did 18 miles with 4*400m at 10k, 2m@MP, 4*400m at 10k, 2m@MP and 4*400m at 10k, paces slowed towards the end, but was a good session within a long run., all MP miles were 6:50 or faster and they felt easy after the 10k work. 
  • Options
    Well done, Steve - very speedy.
    hamo, sorry about your race. I'm pretty bummed about mine, even though a PB was very unlikely. It just feels like the last straw after a year of disappointment.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're in great shape Steve. That's a cracking LR / session combo.
    Nice K reps Hamo. What's the recovery between reps? Figured you'd not be racing when I saw the new lockdown for NI.
    I shouldn't worry about the race cancellation Cal. If you feel the need to do a fastish HM can you not find a clubmate to run with?
    Last day at work today & I had a taste of the traffic woes of yore due to a burst water main closing the main road in to Gloucester. Had to abandon the car & cycle through the storm. Good job I did as I was only 20 minutes late rather than over 2 hours like some colleagues. The pipe burst at 3am yet they'd failed to put any signage further up the road so all the traffic from 2 main A roads was diverting down a 2 mile lane which isn't wide enough for 2 way traffic!!
    With it being the last day & the premises being sealed off from tonight I had to cycle back too. Got out for a run in the dark & rain after. 10.4M on flooded forest trails.
  • Options
    Jools, no, I don't see the point in flogging myself unless there's an official time and a medal. The only time I'll do virtual races is if it's a club thing (there is an EA vets 10K over Christmas...not sure I'll do it yet, though, as I'm trying to look after my hamstring. Regardless, 10K is a horrible distance to do solo. I can just about find the mental strength to push myself hard for 5K, but not twice the distance).
    Sounds like a rather unpleasant journey, that - did you get your car back?

I'm feeling a bit better today, mentally. With the half cancelled, no need to do a short recovery run today so I did 7 miles with some faster paced stuff towards the end. I went out while it was still dark (7am) and stuck to main roads initially, going at a slower pace. Once it started getting light I was able to move to the side roads and add in some MP bursts, which I rather enjoyed. It felt good giving my legs and lungs a bit more of a workout - I've been holding back all week.
    I'll do a longer run tomorrow - not sure how long but I'll see how I feel.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Cal - sounds like it’ll do you good to have the pressure off from racing. Maybe you were worrying about not being able to hit your expected race pace but now you can just enjoy whatever paces come out. 

Jools - blimey sounds like a massive jam. Lucky you had the bike to get in, I suppose even if you had run you would have still got there quicker than the car! Enjoy the Christmas break, am sure you’ll get some great running in down there. 

Steve - more solid running. Hope your 6 hr run does go ahead, you deserve something official to show for all your running. 

Hamo - bad luck but as you say just keep running. Strong start as well, as long as Wrexham goes ahead it will be exciting to see what you can do after such a strong year. Interesting session, does the pace come out around LT?

TR - tracking nicely, hope the loss of  taste is nothing serious. 

Joe - congrats on the sub 3 and the new puppy. I don’t know about the UK but over here the asking price for dogs has gone through the roof this year and there are big waiting lists. All my kids friends seem to be getting one, but have held out for now, too much effort as I know I’ll be left to take car of it!

SQ - seems you’re almost got your fitness back, just throw in a few speed sessions and should start feeling normal. 

Had another easy week and was looking forward to the restart of park run and a small HM this weekend. Then there were a couple of cases on Thursday and now the whole local area is back in lockdown. Exercise is OK but probably back to the TM for me. So instead I ran a 10k race today and just slipped under 38 mins, so happy with that even though I wouldn’t equate it to the same as outdoors. May do a few more of these since why not!? Hope everyone has a peaceful Christmas and gets out for a Christmas Day run, as I’m sure most of us will do.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - those reps sound like a good session. At least you know with the lockdown that you can get yr head down for 6 wks. We'll probably be in tje same boat here soon.

Steve - 400m reps with 18m, where did you find that from ?

Jools - more good work, enjoy the Devon break.

Cal - that made me laugh re the medal, ive never flogged myself for a medal, i font bother collecting them and bin the ones in goody bags. Dan (who runs Xempo) told me that events get no end of moans if they dont provide a medal though, id much rather save a few quid and have no T shirt or medal esp smaller races.

John - nice 10k, shame on the local lovkdown, ive noted fans at the test match and big bash on tv.

Made the plasma donation yday, they told me no booze last night and to take it eaay today. Whilst im sure those are guidelines for normals folks i was defo a bit underpowered running today, and had sore niggles from Thursdays quicker miles, so i just did 10m today, and will do the long run tomorrow. Future donations will need better planning.
  • Options
    TR, I'm a shameless bling whore. :D
    Well done on the plasma, good on you.

John - I have seen so many puppies this year while on my runs and walks. I guess people figure that, as they're working from home more (or completely) they have time for a pup. I expect that's why demand and therefore prices have gone up.
  • Options
    Great to hear from you, Joe. Sorry to hear the move is proving punishing. Our most recent move was really stressful, so I really empathise. I guess you’ve got to remember that it is a long game and if you’re there for a few years the pain will be forgotten. Nice one on the sub-3. My streak came to an end this year - solo sadly can’t count!
    Hope you feel ok after the blood donation, TR. nice one 👍. 
    Hope today’s news doesn’t muck up your travel plans too much, Jools? Have a great time in a beautiful part of the world. 
    Looked a very tasty long run from you today, Steve. Impressive. 

After Tuesday’s speed, yesterday called for some tempo: 3 x 8 mins with 3 min jogs. Met two pals which was nice for some chat variety and to chase their heels. Paces of 6:21, 6:29, 6:35. Happy with that. Not a surprise to see a fade - especially when chasing early on. But great to run a reasonable chunk at this pace. Building, building!
    Knocked for today’s recovery - so took it deliberately slowly with the buggy. Don’t think the HR got over 110 for the first three miles. Mind you, I was a little dusty after sampling lovely wine. Important to check for consistency from the first drop to last... 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    More good work SQ, quality boozing too. They centrifuge the bllod and put the red cells back (although some can be damaged), but the lost 560ml of plasma can still have an effect. Hopefully i can run long tomorrow, and im allowed some beer agsin now.

Weve gained a couple of tiers in a couple of days here. My eldest cant come home for Christmas now, sadly. But at least im not locked in like isolation time. We have only just gone over 200 per 100,000 so will hopefully drop back down sooner esp as no mixing over christmas can happen at all.
  • Options
    Hold on TR - isn’t that the definition of blood doping?! Look forward to a rapid pace from you tomorrow 😆. Sorry to hear you won’t get to see your eldest. Shit times. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - i was wonderimg if i get used to training having donated and then dont donate in race week.........
  • Options
    TR - ask them to hold onto the blood until race week (I think) , good job though.  Hope you have a decent LR tomorrow and sorry about the Xmas plans.

SQ - smart paces in the tempo and well co-ordinated wine/recovery sessions.

Joe - good to hear from you.  I don’t know what it is about house moves and people, as SQ says, worth it in the long run.

Cal - glad you were feeling a better this morning, hope tonight’s announcement isn’t too bleak.  Hope you get a decent run tomorrow.

Steve - welcome to the thread 😀 some sharp paces there, sounds like a complicated long run, I’d have to write it on the back of my hand.

Jools - good improved training on the bike. The run rate must be coming down hopefully.

John - impressive time on the treadmill, hopefully they can keep a lid on the numbers down there.  

Hammo - interesting k rep session. Sounds like good training in listening to the feedback from your body too which must be a good exercise.  Sorry about the race but as you say, you know where you stand now.

I slipped quietly out of V45 this week. I was hoping to get a race in before my body noticed but I can’t see next weeks 5 miler going ahead.  Meanwhile I’ve been chasing a virtual 145 miles in 10 days which meant stretching today’s 5k effort into a 20 miler and requiring 26 tomorrow so that should
    bring my run rate down to about 3/day.  
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Happy birthday Macca & welcome to the MV50 club. I suspect you'll be a bit over 4,000 by year's end then :D
    Nice TM 10K John
    That's progress SQ. Reckon you'd be back below 20 for a 5K already. Still headed West tomorrow but family gathering on the 27th is no longer allowed.
    4M wu, 3.5M fell race 17th (3rd MV50 again), 4.8M cool down has brought the daily run rate down to 9.4
  • Options
    Well done on the intervals, SQ - you must have an incredible heart as mine never gets much below 150 even on a recovery run. 110 would be a fast walk.

Happy 50th, Macca! I am now closer to FV55 than FV50 and I still can't quite believe how old I am. Oh well, nothing to do but keep running, eh?

Congrats on the fell race, Jools - if you were 17th but third in age group, it must be a vet-heavy event.

TR, sorry you won't see your eldest. I usually spend Christmas with my friend in Manchester (since my parents are dead and we're both single) but can't do that now, so looks like Christmas on my lonesome this year. I'll go for a run and eat lots of food to console myself.

Absolutely glorious out today - sun, not too much wind - it would have been perfect for the half. But oh well, it was a nice day for a run along the river so I did the Thames loop I tried a couple of weeks back - down to Battersea, along to Putney Bridge, over and then back on the other side. 14 miles logged. I thought I might do more but hams and glutes felt pretty fried by the time I got back to Battersea so I decided to head directly home from there. I seem to have lost some muscular endurance so I'll need to work on getting that back. Plenty of time for that, though.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Welcome to the M50s Macca, you'll be very competitive in that AG. 145 in 10 days is aome mileage. Hope today went well, i used your planned 26 to help me along today.

Jools - top work yday, enjoy the break.

Cal - sorry to hear that, focus on some mileage and tv then. Similar here in the muscular endurance, a few longer runs will help.

The plasma machine takes some blood, centrifuges it to separate the components and then puts the blood back, it repeats that 6 times. Whilst im getting most of the blood back it can be damaged. Maybe im sort of altitude training, if i dont donate in race wk.

Still felt a bit underpowered which was a worry at about 9m as id committted myself to the 14m lap of the island, rallied a bit and tagged on enough for 18m, so a jump up from last wks 16m.

• Options
    Good efforts Cal TR.
    Could be the plasma donation or (hopefully not) CoViD aftermath TR.
    Sod’s law the weather was good for racing when you couldn’t do one Cal.
    I did 26.7 miles across Exmoor so plenty of hills & mud. Another century this week brings me a lot closer to the 3660 target. 8M/day required 😎

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - blimey, thats a sunday long run for sure 26m on exmoor.......Hopefully its the donation, they told me nothing strenuous for a while, depends upon yr definition of strenuous.....if they want me to donate regularly ill do it early in the week, probably on a tuesday morning so just after my monday mlr, which means tuesday will have to be the required zero......we'll see what they say when it's been tested.
  • Options
    Steve...Hopefully the 6 hour event will go ahead for you, but a good idea to train like it will be anyway. You have been very consistent in your weeks, and that is lovely LT and MP work once again, that'll really stand by you. You are in very good shape.

Jools...90 secs recovery between reps. That sounds like a brutal commute home, at least you had the bike and had that choice. Good work at the fell race, glad you got to get it done, and a good position and age cat podium. Backed up brilliantly by a full mara across Exmoor. Bad news about the family gathering, but at least you can still get over to see the girlfriend.

Cal...Glad that you are feeling a bit more positive after the race cancellation. Sods law about the perfect weather too. Nice work on the MP bursts and good MLR. Sorry to hear about your Christmas plans not coming together, shit year all round.

John...The pace comes out roughly 10 secs a mile quicker than LT pace, so you aren't hanging about, but you aren't straining either. Shame about the local lockdown, things can change so quickly. Good work on the 10k, that is a quick time. If you see me out running on Christmas Day, shoot me :lol: 

TR...Fair play on the plasma donation/blood doping :lol: hopefully you will be back up to full power soon. Really sorry that your son can't get home, it has went really shit at the minute. Fair play pushing on to 18 for the long run, can't have been easy, good mental strength.

SQ...Good tempo work, i really enjoyed the time based efforts of the shorter plans over the summer/autumn i must say...easier mentally than the block of miles that the mara plan has you do. Good pace for it too. Nice wine sampling :wink: not surprised you ran the recovery nice and slow :lol: 

Macca...Happy Birthday. 2 long runs back to back is good work, esp with a fast 5k thrown into the middle of it. 145 miles in 10 days is savage.

I ran an easy 6 miler on Saturday morning, and followed that up with a "long run" of 16 miles with some MP in it on Sunday. I ran the first 9 miles of the long run in progressive 3 mile blocks, averaging 6.39 m/m's, 6.21 and 6.06 then in to 2 blocks of 5k at Marathon pace off a 1k float. The 2 5ks came out as 17.33 (5.39 m/m) and 17.27 (5.37 m/m) off a 3.55 (6.18 m/m) 1k float, so very pleased with that, even if it was a bit sharper than i'd planned. That brought me to 82 miles for the week.

I'm front loading this week, to give me a few days off (of excess :lol: ) over Christmas, so ran a 10 miler with 6x 12 sec hill sprints and 8x100 strides to finish this morning.

All being well i am on track to hit 4400 miles for the year, which is mind blowing and not a number i thought i would ever see...the lack of races/tapers/anything else to do has really had an impact on my mileage this year.
  • Options
    Hamo - Superb long run.
    TR - I think it's a NAZ Elite one (The lumberjack), but I just had a much longer warm up and cool down to make it 18 miles!!
    Macca - Happy Birthday, superb 26 miler. I'd never remember that workout either, luckily garmin tells me when to go faster!!
    Jools - Sounds like a nightmare journey to work....well done on the marathon over Exmoor!!
    SQ - Nice LT work.
    Cal - Don't think I could flog myself for a 5k to be fair!!
    John - Nice sub 38 10k!!

18 miles on Saturday with 3m at MP(7:08/7:01/6:54), 4*800 (3:05/04/17/09), 3m at MP-5s (6:54/50/34) and then 8*30 seconds fast which were mostly around 5:30 min/miles apart for a couple which slipped to 6:01/11. Backed up with 10 miles on Sunday for a 60 mile week, my first since marathon training in March!!