P&D Spring Marathon 2021

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - excellent weekend and yearly miles. I'll be with you on Christmas Day in the non running camp.

Steve - heard of NAZ but not lumberjack, you obviously did a similar session this weekend. You are in good shape to be able to run a range of paces.

10m inc strides absolute drenching tonight. Strides is nearly a session. We'll see how the body is tomorrow.
  • Steve... Class long run again with a a good variety of fast paces, you'd definitely need a watch to keep you right on what to run and when during that. Nicely backed up too, and a big week. Finishing the year strong for sure.

TR...I agree with you there, strides when you are getting back to it feels like a mini session. Hope the body has reacted ok, shame about the drenching.

10 miles with 4 at LT pace for me this morning. The LT miles where 5.30, 5.29, 5.27 and 5.28 so cant be bad to that at all, especially with it being a bit icy and having to reroute in the middle of the effort to avoid going on my backside.
  • hamo, that is mind blowing - I'm less than half that and it seems like a lot. But going by your races, it obviously suits you.

Jools, already said well done on Strava but, yeah...I'm a bit in awe of people who can casually bust out a marathon. I rarely do more than 20 although I've done a couple of 22s (one of those was when I took a wrong turning, mind you - it was supposed to be 20).

Steve, excellent work there.

Yesterday was a rest day - gym is closed now (grumble) so I did a little home workout. I was going to go for a walk but after spending 90 minutes queueing at the post office to send a parcel, I was pretty hungry so went straight home. Yay for Tier 4. :/

Decent run today, though - 10 miles fartlek. Two slow miles to warm up and then varied my pace for the rest. No flat out sprints but did a few faster bits of varying duration and got some Strava segment PBs, which always cheers me up. Could feel the hamstring a bit by the end but it's not awful. I'll use the gun on it later.
    Still on track for 2000. No slacking off over Christmas, but then I'll be on my own so it's not like I've anything else to do eh?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the LT Hamo, not the best sessuon for icy days. Its been mild (and wet) here this week.

Cal - 10m of fartlek is a good run.

The usual niggles were a bit sore after ydays strides, but loosened up a bit to allow another 10 wet miles.

My antibody test showed antibodies but not enough to be a regular donor, which i suspected as i only had a mild dose. But at least i have some.
  • Ah well, TR - good they got one donation out of you anyway. Nice 10 there.

Easyish 7 miles this morning (which Strava said was harder than my normal effort, stupid Strava...it was not), starting in the dark and finishing in daylight a little before 9am. It was actually mild enough that I went out in shorts and a T-shirt, although it did rain for the second half of the run. Legs were sluggish at first but felt much better than I'd expected after yesterday's 10 - my bum was aching enough yesterday evening that I went out and walked a couple of miles to loosen it up a bit (and look at the Christmas lights and trees around the neighbourhood).
  • Cal...90 minute queue for the post office is mental. Lovely fartlek work, 10 miles is a good distance for that too, always good to vary the paces. Nice easy run this morning to back it up.

TR...Shame about not being able to regularly donate, but as you say, good news that you have some antibodies at the very least...and you done your best and the right thing to be a good citizen. Nice 10 miler, glad it helped loosened the aches after the strides.

Easy 12 miler with an old club mate for me this morning. It was nice to get a catch up before the impending "you can only exercise on your own" lockdown comes into force on Boxing Day here. 

It is my last day in work today too before 2 weeks off, so just taking the opportunity (in case I don't get back on here before) to wish everyone a very happy and safe Christmas and New Year, and hopefully 2021 will be a bit brighter on every front for us all. 
  • Steve - another top LR, with a decent mileage week.

Hamo - great pace on the LT and fantastic consistency too.  With all the things to worry about over here, ice isn’t one of them, small mercies🤣

Cal - well done on the fartlek, great to be in control of the paces so sounds like a good session.  Hopefully you can get some miles
    in over Xmas to reach 2000.

TR - well done on doing your bit.  18,10,10 is good going (if I’ve read back correctly) especially with the wet weather thrown in.

Jools - great fell race and “recovery Exmoor marathon” to top off a 💯 week🤣

It turns out I had 2 more days to finish my 145 mile challenge so the weekends 20+26 could have been 10,16,10,10 into Tuesday, doh.  Good endurance training though.  14m sometime today.
  • Xpost Hammo - sat here in my pjs, I’m shamed by your early 12m.  A happy safe Xmas and New Year to you too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done cal , it was warm and drizzly here, so no soaking today.

Hamo - all the best for 2021, youve got me out the door on a few monday mlrs this yr, cheers. The power of the virtual group !

Top bombing macca, amazing mileage.

9m inc 5m mp+10% today. Slightly tougher than id like, whilst i didnt have many symptoms of CV im not back where i was yet, but im building miles and started to add a bit of pace, onwards and upwards.
    After tomorrow i have 10 days off so can run in the mornings and hopefully get a nice block in.

At least theres no more donations at their request and not mine, id have joined in if they wanted me though.
  • Class LR session Steve. Sounds like tough session to execute but I bet you felt amazing afterwards.
    All the best for 2021 Hamo. Incredible year of training & racing you’ve managed. More excellent LT work there.
    TR Sounds like you’re back on the bonnet now & the lack of sufficient antibodies could be a blessing. That initial donation seemed to knock you (for 4?)
    Cal Great 10M fartlek - I noticed the PRs on Strava & well backed up. There’s plenty of folk who’d be in awe of a 7M run let alone the 10M too.
    Macca: 20 & 26! Huge weekend. You trying to catch Hamo in the final days of 2020 & claim the thread mileage 👑🤣
    Easy, flat 8.7M for me Monday through Braunton Burrows & along Saunton Sands. Then 10.6M along the Tarka Trail yesterday between Barnstaple & Bideford. Ran the first 10K progressive starting from 8:23 down to 7:04 in mile 6, I then eased back to about 7:30 pace for the remainder. Pleased with how the body coped with pacier run after the weekend.
  • Macca - Massive weekend there!
    Hamo - Class controlled LT miles and massive yearly total!!
    Jools - Nice running.
    TR - Great mileage and MP+ work. Yes similar long run session, also from NAZ Elite, back to standard long runs for the next 2 weeks!
    Cal - Nice fartlek run.

12 miles with 6*1m on Tuesday (6:39/35/34/35/38/30), should be at MP-10s, so maybe a bit too fast. Easy 6 miles today. Think I'm closing in on 2600 miles, previous best way 2280 last year.
  • Steve - well done on a brilliantly consistent year. I hope 2021 can be a sub 3 for you. 
    happy birthday Macca! 
    Jools - Tarka trail a great option for relief from the endless hills of SWCP. 
    Merry Christmas, hamo. I have full confidence in your running send boozing ability over the next few days 😆. 
    Agreed Cal - very mild today inspite of the rain. Next two days less so! 

Back at track! First run there since maybe February at a guess. Possible even last year. 
    2 x 5 x 200 fast, 200 recovery jog. 600 between the two sets. 42-44 seconds for the reps. 
    Not sure why, but I was expecting quicker. Top end stuff definitely proving the slowest to return. Still - short sections of sub 6 pace. No idea how this used to be (just) possible for 5k but fun nonetheless. 
    10.2M at 7:50 all in. Have to book a slot these days, with 7am being the only morning option available. Felt a little wasteful with the floodlights on just for me, but only right I suppose if you pay your quids (four). 
    One difference I have noticed with ore injury is the ability to warm down at a decent lick. I used to really enjoy a warm down and would happily cruise back at 7:30-7:00 pace. I guess I’m not used to the total longer distance now. 
  • 6M buggy recovery at 9:20 pace this morn. Ridiculous lack of sleep. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Jools - nice places to run, i know them well. My surfboard comes from Croyde. Agreed, the donation took something out of me, but id have kept going if they wanted me.

SQ - nice, 200s is short sharp work.

All of Hants is tier 4 now which was needed as there were tier 2 with much higher levels than a 4. Home was 4, work was 4 and id run through a 2 on the way. The local lidl was 1/2 in 2 and 1/2 in 4.

Cant see my Goodwood mara going on in Feb, but i can hopefully still plan for Dorney in April.
  • TR, regardless that is a good recovery - a lot of people are struggling with fatigue and breathlessness post-Covid.
    I'm hoping Richmond marathon is still a go for March but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Steve, good session and a good total there. I think a lot of people are going to be posting their highest every mileage this year - the lack of tapers and recoveries will be a big factor (along with not being able to do other types of exercise).

SQ I've definitely lost my top end...hoping it comes back although with no races, it's not an issue at the moment. That said, I am in for a couple of England Athletics virtuals - a vets 10K and a 5 mile "relay". Suffice to say I'll be pretty low down in the rankings but it'll the lungs a good workout.

Today I did a 5 mile recovery run, very slow. Still dark when I started but there was already a huge queue for the nice butcher shop in Balham, and queues were starting to form outside various shops in Streatham when I went past. Glad I don't have any more shopping to do.

It's definitely colder and there was a sharp wind so I had leggings and a jacket on for this run.
    I'm intending to do a Christmas lights run tomorrow before dawn so really hoping it's not frosty, although temps are forecast to be 1 degree. Brrr!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair point cal, its only 6 weeks since i tested positive. I would hope Richmond will be ok as its the end of March, plus it'll still be used for the Olympic trial.

Turbo today here, 4min reps. Rest day tomorrow, so 2 non running days in a row, back on it Boxing day for a hopeful nice block of training whislt im on leave.
  • Steve - consistent mile reps and well done on the surpassing your previous annual best.

SQ - a decent track session, there’s probably a few seconds there for running solo I’m sure.  I’ve often seen it said that speed is the first thing to go after a break and the first to come back but I guess that’s compared to the time to build base.  No doubt you are heading in the right direction.

TR - agreed, anything in the South East Jan/Feb has to have a question mark against it, hopefully things will have improved by April.  5m @ MP+10% is a bit of a session imho so even if it felt a bit tougher than you’d like, it’s in the bank.

Jools - you look to be in good nick, especially after a big weekend.

Cal - you look to be balancing the longer and recovery runs well. Hope it’s not too cold tomorrow,

4,000 miles reached here today, about 400 more than last year.  If you asked me I’d guess I’d averaged about 60ish per week but it’s more like 78, doesn’t feel like it.  Hopefully i can get out for 5k tomorrow, Xmas aside, there’s few other distractions in tier 4 but given cases here seem to trebled in a week, for the best.
  • Good mileage Steve & another tasty session: averaging 50 mpw.
    I hope you have more success regaining pace SQ. Track work should certainly help.
    Well done on getting to 4,000 a week early Macca.
    I tipped over 3,600 yesterday with 15M of N Devon coast path & lanes in heavy rain. Another 10M of rolling lanes today in sunshine & a chilly breeze.
    My body much prefers the longer singles for accumulating mileage.
    Woolacombe Dunes (not)parkrun for me tomorrow.
    Merry Xmas all. See you on the other side.
  • It is cold here but no frost on the pavements, thank goodness. I got up early and was out before 6. Ran up to Central London to see the Christmas lights. A bit disappointing that the Regent Street angels were turned off, although I did see them last year so at least I know what they looked like.Most other lights seem to be on. Leicester Square looks lovely and there are some nice trees around. County Hall looks nice with the rainbow lighting too.
    Saw more runners than expected (even early) but hardly any returned my greeting - miserable twats all in their own little world with their headphones on. Whatever happened to being in the moment?
    Anyway, 14 more miles logged. I'm closing in on 2000 and should make it by the end of the year.
    Happy Christmas all.
  • I hope everyone had a good day yesterday. I did very little after my run - mostly eating and TV, really. My Christmas dinner was a chicken breast with pan fried sprouts and red cabbage and some potatoes, and then two thirds of a Christmas pudding meant for four people (sorry not sorry).
    I then remembered I had a bottle of mulled wine so my evening meal was half a bottle of that and a mince pie. :D

I was intending to do a recovery run this morning and started in the dark hoping to catch some more local lights - unfortuantely a lot of people seem to turn them off when they go to bed but there were a few around. I'd settled on 7 miles as that would take me up to 1990, but 7 turned into 8 and I was still a bit of a way from home so carried on to 9 and then thought, sod it, may as well make it a round 10.
    Legs were mostly fine - a little achey in the bum and hamstrings but actually pretty good considering the fact that I've run five days on the trot and yesterday was 14.
    It was a very slow run, though - 1 hour 53 (which is more or less my HM PB) - I am usually do a 10 mile training run in around 1:45 or so. First miles were almost 12 minute pace - super slow - but I got a little quicker in the second half (still not quick, mind you - fastest mile was 10:39).

I will likely rest tomorrow, what with it being windy, but I'll see how bored I get.
    I'm 7 miles off 2000 now - might even make 2020 by the end of the year.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - cracking miles, the lack of racing and associated tapers has led to some big miles. But ~80m every week of the yr is awesome.

Jools - youve homing in nicely on the 3660. Devon running sounds great.

Good couple of days there Cal, that sort of thing weekly will soon bring your running on. The dinner sounded nice.

Planned zero yday, 12m today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I did another 12m today, had to dodge quite a bit of storm debris. No long run yday or today, i might do one midweek, or maybe just let it go and try to string a few double digit days together.

My running lanes are very wet, will have to avoid those when the temperatures drop over the next week.
  • Solid stuff TR & Cal.
    Xmas day I got out for a sunny 10 miles first thing with Woolacombe Dunes (not)parkrun in 23:01 in the middle. The rest of the day involved eating, drinking & playing games: classic Christmas fare. Boxing Day was similar although the weather was atrocious: pissing down & blustery winds. I did a 10M run around the lanes just North of Dartmoor while the GF went for a walk with her female friends. Came home & warmed up with mince pies & tea before attacking the cheese mountain & draining the wine lakes.
    Just back from another 15.8 hilly Devon lanes in the sunshine. Feet got a bit damp since a lot of the lanes are doubling as field drainage channels or reservoirs depending on their gradients. Less than 10M required now!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - sounds like youve had a good time, no doubt you ticked off the 3660 today too, nicely done.  I only needed 500m in Nov and Dec and fell short. I will tick off the 3500 tomorrow.

Another 12 here, 3 easy, 9 mp +10%, best run and feeling fit doing it since before CV19 so most pleasing.
  • Well you guys have certainly racked up a huge number of miles. Today I banged out the required 7 miles even though legs felt quite heavy, which takes me to the magic 2000. 🎉 I'm going to try and do another 20 by the end of the year but I don't think I'll try and replicate this mileage next year - it's been rather hard on the old bod. Hamstring is still pretty gnarly. I've the Virtual EA 10K tomorrow so hopefully it'll be OK for that, at least.
  • Cal - well done on the 2000. You’ve racked up some decent miles over the last few days.  Good luck in the EA 10k tomorrow.

TR - glad to hear the MP+10% was positive, especially the day after a 12.

Jools - great juggling of wine cheese and miles, well done no doubt on reaching your target.  Lanes flooded round here too.

A mixed “big day” here as I guess these things will be when thinking of someone no longer here.  On a lighter note, I gagged on my first bite of turkey and spent an hour with my head over the toilet trying to retch it up or swallow it down.  Putting me off dinner probably helped my Boxing Day 5k compared to the Xmas day one (minus 5s).  With a LR finishing around mp+10% I’m just about on plan, 4 weeks done (I think).
  • Oh dear Macca, that doesn't sound fun at all!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - hope yr 10k goes well.

Macca - sounds like a tough day today. 13 weeks to Dorney from this weekend. I should just about be back on the bonnet ready for next week.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Cal - that sounds like a nice Christmas dinner, I do enjoy my sprouts at this time of year. Well done on hitting your target, very impressed that you’ve been able to keep your body going and keep running. Good luck with your 10k. 

TR - very much back in the groove and on track for Dorney. Good on you for donating, at least you know you did your bit. 

Jools - well done on a huge effort to get back on track with your miles, especially running in that kind of weather. Sounds like you’ve had a great Christmas of running, eating and drinking.

Macca - tough times, but hope it gets easier for you with the passage of time. Looks like you had the opposite food experience to Cal and Jools, just don’t like turkey or a dodgy cut? Well done on smashing out consecutive 5ks. 

Steve - some very interesting sessions, must be good motivation trying all these new ones. Well done on your mileage target as well. 

SQ - nicely building up the speed. I wouldn’t be surprised if you come back faster than before, I’ve seen a few runners do that after a layoff as long as you’re sensible ramping back up. 

Hamo - hope you’re enjoying the break after a massive year. 

Also just ticking over down here with mostly easy running. Did another TM race this time a 5k where a group were going for sub 18 mins. My outdoor PB is 18:21 but either the TM is easier or my sensor is off but either way I managed 17:39 feeling a bit better than my recent track 5k. Not going to count it as a PB but fun nevertheless. Followed it up with a LR that included 2x5k at around MP, didn’t have any energy for a 3rd though as I was up at LT HR. Then today was a rainy but warm run, quite an enjoyable one to bring up 5200km, so I’ve also hit my target and about 800km more than before. Hoping my next race will be a 45k trail marathon in March, the Six Foot Track - it got cancelled this year due to bushfires so fingers crossed nothing else comes up. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    John - a few targets ticked off nicely there then. I saw some of the big bash today and it looked a lot warmer than it is here at the mo.

6m easy peasy. Ticked over 3500m for the year, cv19 scuppered the 3660m.