Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2021

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Jools - i think a lot of us took a soaking yday. 19k is tidy.

9m run commute back in this morning, pretty windy but no rain.
  • Options
    That’s a novel commute distance TR.
    No rain here either. I was lucky enough to miss the wind too by heading out this afternoon after work. Repeated yesterday’s loop. Head & legs were both much happier. Decent sleep, easier day yesterday & some sunshine. 5 minutes quicker too 😎
  • Options
    I can’t remember getting soaked yesterday but when I put my (reused) kit on today it was wet, maybe the cats couldn’t find the litter tray, something certainly smelled.

TR - we could be vaccinated by the time Dorney comes round ! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - that mini refresh helped.......after 3m i either carry on for 2m of main road cummute or turn left for another 6m inc mostly farm lanes. Id have tagged on for 10m if id had the time.

Macca - eeew ! Hope it wasnt the cats.......agreed, i was orignially thinking that if the target of over 50s is done by Easter then thats ~50% of population at 32 mill. But i cant see the pressure on the NHS easing enough by Easter with over 30,000 folks in hospital with CV. If Boris gives us hope of school's etc going back after 1/2 term ill have to get to it. We have 10wks from Saturday, so i could get a few weeks of mlrs in.
  • Options
    Glad to hear the refresh button worked TR. Guessed, as it was a morning commute, it might be time constraints stopped you getting to 10 today.
    No way I could do that Macca: my kit's almost always soaked by the time I get back one way or another. Bad enough having to run back in the same kit on a double commute day.
    Doubt schools will be back fully before Easter. May be some partial opening in some areas if cases keep dropping.
  • Options
    Mmm cat pee. Nice.
    I took a rest yesterday as the run I did on Wednesday left me tired (although I did walk 6 miles). I thought conditions today would be better as it was not windy, but when I looked out of the window there was a lot of frost on the rooves. I thought the streets would be OK as it was above freezing (2 degrees) but I was wrong. My plan was to jog up to the loop at the top of Streatham Common - the one I found on Wednesday - then do a 5K around there and jog back home. 
    On the way there, most pavements were fine, but there were patches of frost and the odd bit of ice in places. Once I got to the loop, I stopped my watch and had a look. The loop itself was quite frosty and, with it being on a slope, I didn't trust it so I had to abort my mission and jog home again. Covered 6 miles but not what I was hoping for.
    Not sure I'll manage it tomorrow either as it's even colder, but sometimes you can have zero degrees and no frost, or warmer than that with a lot of frost. Guess I will have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Still got 6 miles in Cal & legs should be fresh enough for a decent length run tomorrow.
    Back to my local hilly loop today brings me to 600m away from summitting Everest so should get there this weekend😎
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - are you at the summit?

Cal - it was icy here yday (-2), and today, but i could run later today so most of it had melted.

Had a busy day yday and had planned a few miles after dropping a car off for mot early, but in the end i thought wtfp of a few miles and sacked it off, i struggle to get morivated for short runs esp if they arnt commutes. But the rest is no bad thing.
    Back on it today with 5 easy, 10 ~mp+10%, 3 easy. Effort as a bit too quick av 7.01.
  • Options
    Well done Jools - I could use you on my climbing team. 
    TR, I know what you mean about the basic shorter runs. Decent job today, though.

A quick peak out of the window just as it was getting light revealed no frost, but I decided to wait a little and when I looked again a little later, the daylight revealed that a puddle on the roof was completely iced over. Oh dear.
    So I decided to wait until midday for my run. It was still very cold but the underfoot conditions were better. Unfortunately, there were also a lot more people out and about which meant I had a bit of dodging to do. 
    I spent the first three miles warming up, but with it being a bit later, I was already quicker (down to longer stride) so they went 10:38/10:08/9:46 before I pushed on to tempo pace. First of the three tempo miles was the quickest at 8:20 due to some gentle downhill, while the other two came in at 8:38 and 8:30. I did an extra .11 so I could use the last bit for my club's weekly virtual 5K which added up to 26:24. Obviously I can do a lot better than that, but it's actually not too bad for where I'm at at the moment, with several niggles and a boatload of stress. So I'll take it.
    I'm thinking I will do a MLR tomorrow rather than a long run - weather looks to be cold and potentially icy again, and my bod definitely needs an easier week.
  • Options
    Midday was obviously run time today. I waited til then too for the same reason.
    Not quite yet TR: still need 80m tomorrow after today’s 17.8M. Averaged 8:30 pace & 135bpm so all easy. Rest obviously did you good 😀 10@7:01 is tidy especially in the middle of 18.
    Decent tempo Cal. Did you do more miles after too?
  • Options
    No, just that.
  • Options
    TR - I agree with Jools, 10@7.01 average is a good effort, got to take some confidence from that.  I’m not  so sure about Dorney now either, I’m going to finish the plan and see where we are, it doesn’t feel right to worry to
    much about it with numbers as they are.

Cal - that’s a decent consistent tempo, especially as you’ve not done much speedwork lately. As you say, bank it, rest and move on.

Jools - Everesting with almost a week to spare great stuff (I’m sure you’ll tick it off today. 

I got my 22miles in this morning just before the snow came down.  Not too bad considering I’d back loaded the week, 12m w 6@LT Fri(a little underwhelming but banked) 15m Sat with a 5k effort making 49m over 3 days. A few easy days and I might repeat the 6@LT.
  • Options
    Good job, Macca. I'd decided I wasn't going to run today - too frosty with snow due later. I thought I'd go for a good length walk instead (it turned out a little over 8 miles). I decided to walk to Norwood Park, which sits between the top of Streatham Common and Crystal Palace, as I'd never been through it. It was cold on the way there but the pavements weren't bad other than some frozen puddles I had to avoid. The paths in the park were a lot more treacherous so had to be careful there, though.
    At that point, 4 miles in, it started to snow. Proper snow, and it was settling. I was wearing Nike Frees which don't have much grip at all so my pace dropped from 15s to 18s as I made my way back home and I got pretty cold. It wasn't so bad once it had settled to a better thickness but when it started it was pretty slippery and I had to negotiate a 10% downhill which was a bit worrying.
    It was nice seeing a few little kids experiencing snow for the first time, but I hope it melts quickly. The worry is that it's going to melt and then freeze solid overnight as it's -2 so I don't think I'll be able to run tomorrow either.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one Cal, did you get out today?

Good going yday jools, you must be at the summit today then?

Macca - ooh, you are a strong boy. Cracking few days. I can see Dorney being a bit too early as i think things will ease after Easter, so its worth keep training. But nearly 40,000 patients in hospital with CV will put presuure on the NHS for a long time, which gets factored into easing of restrictions. Hopefully Dorney will go ahead in May or June, i also have a rolled over Goodwood place for beginning of July.....yes im getting fitter, 2 weeks in a row that the mp+10% section has been decent pace, i was sub 7mm on the flat bits ydyay. Ill try for 10 approx mp in a week or so.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Oh yes.....10m thus morning, only rain here, although theres snow on the South Downs.
  • Options

Nice to see a Moose Fartlek, Steve. 

I like the tempo sandwich, TR. 

Sensible and systematic plan to help with the stomach, Cal. 

Very impressive Fri-Sun, Macca. 

Below average week. Just scraped 50M, with little quality. 

10 buggy miles on Tuesday with 10 x 30s strides. 

Attempt at a 5k hit out yesterday. Had to call in to work in Worcester so thought I’d do laps of a very flat 1200m loop near the river, but floods ruled it out. Headed to the canal instead, and I suppose 19:46 isn’t as  shocking as I first thought, given ice puddle and pedestrian dodging. 

9M with the buggy in the deep snow this morning. Felt things getting tough in the second half before noticing the mud guard on the front wheel was blocked with packed snow and was no longer spinning. A genuine snow plough 🤦. Planned 13 but just couldn’t be bothered. 

Still, cut my own hair this afternoon, so at least running wasn’t the worst result of the week. 

-5 forecast for the morning. Definitely strapping on the the Yak Trax. 

• Options
    Blimey! That’s some end to the week Macca
    Fair enough Cal. A decent walk that.
    Making up for Friday TR? Is your usual turbo replacement session steady state or intervals?
    I did indeed make the summit today, & overshot by 200m 😆. Seemed appropriate to be running through the snow as I did it. 13.4M@8:29 so nice n easy. 80M this week 😎
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - you need skis on the buggy on days like today, cracking workout no doubt. Im my own barber, i keep some trimmers in the garage with the powertools, you can tell by the sound when its all done, ive hd the odd mishap when the grade guards fallen off and ive put a grade zero up the back of my head.

Jools- awesome, summiting in the snow. More good mileage too. Yes, ran instead of the recent sunday turbo as id sacked off fridays run. Ive been doing wu, 10x4min/1min, i used to do steady turbo back in the early days, but then switched to intervals only, when i went back outside in Spring i was soon back up to decent miles/pace. I always do some sort of interval on turbo since then.
  • Options
    Imagine the intervals make the time pass quicker TR. I’m the same on the treadmill: has to be intervals or a progression run else it’s too dull. Have you got numbers to look at or is it all on feel?
    Grade zero disasters - do you have to even it all up?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools -  i just put a watch on the tri bars and see the elapsed time. Ill do 2min on the tri bars, 2min on the hoods and then sit up for the 1 min easy, its all about breaking the time up.......yes, go down to grade 1 and it only takes a few days to fill the gap. I try to keep grade 2 or 3 on the top if possible, but sometimes let it slide for a couple of weeks. Its much easier to do it weekly and any missed bits get caught next week.
  • Options
    Congrats, Jools! 
    SQ, I remember shaving my head with a beard trimmer when I was 22. I looked like butch one from Prisoner Cell Block H.
    50 miles is a good week for me, but I guess it's all relative. I only did 32, after canning yesterday's run due to weather, but it was meant to be a cutback anyway.

I had to do a quick shop this morning so used to do a recce of the pavements. Most were clear but there were icy patches and some big icy bits in gutters. Not ideal. So I didn't go out until midday and then did a very cautious 5 miles. It wasn't bad but there was still a few slippery bits and I walked over any bits I didn't trust. I wasn't feeling awesome despite only walking yesterday - legs felt quite heavy. I think I'm a little run down.
    Got a flu shot this afternoon so not sure how I will feel tomorrow, but regardless, weather looks warmer (if windier) on Wednesday so I should be able to manage a decent MLR with some hills.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hopefully tomorrows warmer temps will allow more running Cal

10m run home tonight, bit of an ice skate in places.
  • Options
    Seems like most everyone else has given up on a Spring Mara. Well done for keeping the faith thus maintaining the training TR & Cal. 
    I ran at lunchtime again. 10.7M & 1800’. The off road sections were fine but the roads were a mixed bag: perfectly clear but damp in places, sheet ice in others & when running downhill into the sun it was hard to tell the difference so much more tentative than usual. The frozen chunks/footprints were tough on the ankles too - like hard dried mud. 
  • Options
    Oh I'm not sure mine's going to happen but I'd like to be ready for when lockdown does lift...I might finally get to do an ultra come summer, who knows?

Did today's run at 10:15 to allow frost to melt a bit, but still ran into some ice in a couple of places. I made the mistake of taking a steep path in Streatham (one of my usual hills) as it was clear at the bottom, but then it turned to ice halfway up and I had to tiptoe along the mud at the sides. Not ideal.
    I covered 7 miles but still feel heavy-legged and tired. Sleep's been good and I didn't run Sunday so I'm mystified as to why I feel so leaden footed. I doubt it's the shot as I felt the same yesterday before the shot.
    I still have to make it out for some hills tomorrow as my team's slipped to fourth. I hope I feel a bit perkier on the morning.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - hopefully the thaw will have hsppened today. Im trying to keep up a reduced but still decent amount, i cant see Easter happening but think something will be on by May or June.

13 wet miles tonight.
  • Options
    It’s a mystery Cal. Just keep on plugging away.
    Solid as ever TR.
    Damp here by the time I got out too. Waited til after work to do a 10 miler to pick up the car from the garage but got to within a couple of miles when I got the call to tell me it wasn’t going to be ready after all so 10 became 16 & the last 10K was in the dark too. No headtorch but at least I had my hi-viz waistcoat & rear light on as the roads were surprisingly busy. Couldn’t always run on the pavements even where there was one as they were still icy in places.
  • Options
    Well everyone, bit late, but Happy New Year to you all, I hope you are all keeping safe and well at the minute, which after skim reading back you seem to be. You are all certainly running well anyway.

Apologies for  the lack of posting lately, but i have been really struggling with running and everything running related at the minute for one reason or another, so I've been avoiding the forum, and other running stuff, a bit. 

The few days off over Christmas made it hard to get back into the swing of things (as is normal for me to be fair, i suppose). But this year with having a fairly bad cold over Christmas, freezing shitty weather all the time (it has been deadly icy here for weeks, which didn't help me sliding and falling onto frozen stones and splitting my knee open a few weeks back :flushed: ) and the deep down realisation that Wrexham, or any races won't be going ahead any time soon has made it a bit harder than normal to get back at it. But hey ho, nothing else for it but to plough on i suppose.

All that said, i have been training away following the plan, but with no real heart in it, so sessions/(m)LR's have been a mental struggle from start to finish with no desire to "hurt" which is showing in my splits, and so affecting my motivation even more. But, things are slowly getting back to normal now afetr giving my head a bit of a wobble, fingers crossed... just need to lose the stone and a bit i have found over the fesitive period now :flushed: :lol: 

Anyhow, i'll stop moaning, and mention a few things that stuck out when i read back there...

Cal...Really well done on getting to the 2000 mile mark for 2020, brilliant work.

Macca...That is a massive year, and you are building into 2021 rightly so far too. Sorry your Christmas was a bit of a mixed bag.

SQ...80 mile short of a yearly target in a year decimated by a stress fracture is awesome going, brilliant.

TR...Fair play to your young fella donating, super work from him. Hopefully Dorney can go ahead for you and Macca, if not fingers crossed it won't be too long until you get to put all that training to good use.

Jools...Serious work Everesting, mad but brilliant as always from you.

Steve...You are a model of consistency, and have started 2021 as you finished 2020, fair play.

Sorry if i have missed anyone or anything, but it was a quick check back.

I woke up to frozen snow yesterday morning, so binned my planned 8x k reps (at 10k-ish pace, 80 secs recovery) and rolled back over to sleep, but thankfully it rained all day and that thawed my street out so I was able to do them yesterday evening. Aimed for 3.20 a k, and averaged 3.20:3 so that was really pleasing. I followed that up with a 15 mile MLR this morning and felt decent so pushed the pace on it, as i was running with a friend for 9 mile of it, and worked a bit harder than i wanted/planned, which i didn't baulk at and throw the toys out of the pram, so that is encouraging and hopefully shows i am getting back to where i want to be motivation/mentally wise.

Apologies for the woe is me post :flushed::lol:
  • Options
    Welcome back, hamo - I think we're all suffering from winter/lockdown malaise really - my club's hill challenge is what's been keeping me going, since I seem to be the MVP of my team and they are relying on me to keep hammering those climbs. Well done on the 15 today - as I said on Strava, you were over an hour quicker than me at the same distance.

Fab job there, Jools - always nice when you exceed what you set out to do.

I felt a fair bit better than yesterday so I went ahead with my plan for a hilly MLR. I did quite a few of my "favourites" plus a couple of new ones and managed 15 miles myself. Mostly at a very slow pace (I had a tight chest yesterday - possibly due to breathing cold air but might've been a reaction to my flu shot) so I wasn't going to attempt any sprints. But I did do the last two miles at close to 10 minute pace as they were flat/slight downhill and I was keen to get back and eat.
    Niggles were there but not bad, and aside from puking in my mouth at one point (bile...lovely) it went pretty well. 
    I'll need a rest tomorrow, I think.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - that late phone call resulted in a nice long mlr though. Nice one.

Hamo - good to see you. Its defo been tough to keep motivated due to all the ice and rain coupled with lockdown and dimishing race chances soon. Ive been doing a bit less but still a decent amount as i think there'll be a lot of marathon specific stuff later in the year.......i think Wrexham has a chance as its a few weeks after Easter. But it might be more like May or June before it comes back.

Cal - nice one, 15m is cracking on a weds.

Whilst my niggles are improving,  my groin has been sore this wk, so i sacked off todays planned session and backed up last nights 13m with a steady run, but felt ok so ended up with 5m easy, 5m mp+10%, legs were tired by the end, so a solid couple of days.
  • Options

Nice one on the Everest summiting, Jools - not bad in three weeks!

TR - agreed. Skis would have been miles easier. 

Hope all is ok, hamo. Always good to speak about how you are feeling. Good reps then MLR. Don’t push too hard on the non-session days (in my opinion only, mind) - I reckon that way long term fatigue lies. 

Impressive MLR, Cal.

The Yak Trax are unbeatable for me in icy conditions. They are snow chains you strap onto the bottom of your shoe - similar to what you might put on your tyres in a ski resort. I have done strides on the iciest roads with no worries. Probably only wear them 2-3 times every couple of years, but such a life saver. 

Bit of a shocker yesterday morning. Playing with both kids downstairs from about 6am. Gaining loads of brownie points. Helped build a cushion den to whoops of delight. Until my daughter tripped and smacked her chin on a wooden stool. Uh oh - blood everywhere. One of the straight clean cuts, but pretty deep. Not so many brownie points being accumulated all of a sudden. Fortunately, the minor injuries unit (based at the hospital) was ridiculously quiet. My wife and daughter only saw the receptionist, doctor and nurse, and had the kids’ waiting room to themselves, so it all felt safe. Glued her up and sent her packing. Looks a bit like a defeated boxer now with a massively swollen jaw, but she’s on the up.

Hastily rearranged cover work for my lessons rather than live teaching, expecting a far longer wait at hospital. So in the end, this freed a little time to get out for an hour. 2 x (1200, 800, 800) with 3 min, 2 min jog recoveries. 

Similar route to last time, and a punchy wind as well. So paces were about 6:00 with the wind and 6:18 against. All in, 8M at 7:10 pace. 

Another session done, 3.5 weeks until the 5k ‘race’. Think I will target sub 19. A minute slower than last year, but a solid stepping stone, I hope. 

7M easy this morn - a bit sore, 8:00 pace. Then a rare recovery double this afternoon - 3M at 9:10 pace. Both with the lad.