A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Cal,
    My 76 year old uncle (sub 5 hour marathoner) is a GNR Ever Present and my aunt has only missed one. A few years ago we were on the telly being interviewed together.
    With your finish times it ain't so bad.
    I go and stay with my family in Darlington on Friday night, do the Darlington Parkrun on the Saturday, then we drive to and park on the South side of the 12 mile marker in South Shields (as the roads are still open that side), get the shuttle bus to the start in Newcastle. When we finish we walk back to the car, have a bite to eat and hot tea before driving back to Darlington after watching the Red Arrows display over the seaside.
    Fauja Singh did it in 2:33 when over 93
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Lots of comments on here, good to see the thread still very active. Harmander I was at Newcastle for my first degree, was offered a place in the GNR two days before, those were the days, I was not fit enough so did not do it! Good to hear about the knee, very fast service. 

Cal good to see you back running. DR keep going, I am very impressed. Donnie2 friends of mine run marathons on three runs a well, at the end of IMs, they believe it is the quality of the run that makes the difference, I think you are doing brilliantly. Hobie a race how exciting. 

MrMr2 hip labrum keeps your hip ball in the socket, very easy to tear, and when someone checks it is easy to diagnose. Hopefully your club will come up with a running friendly physio soon.

LTT congratulations!!!!! 

A run, I actually felt like doing a run. Went really well, WU and WD then ran to feel, ended up with five miles at an average of nine seconds a mile below MP, perfect!  

YTD: 445.62
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's pretty quick, Harmander - I remember I did my first half in 2:18 but I was only early 40s then! (I had no idea what I was doing though.)

TT, great stuff!

I did another 3 today (was planned for tomorrow but have a massage booked early morning so decided today would be better) and it went pretty well - 9 mins run/1 walk. Getting there, slowly but surely.

YTD: 368
  • Cal,

I threatened him with retirement unless he broke 2:30 in the next race - he managed 2:29:58 in Toronto. lo
  • Runstreak day 112. 

20.4 9.29
    21.4 5.84

YTD 674.94 miles

• TT I know, in them days kids under 10 were just allowed to join in too. I think I got in on a cancellation.

4.02 yesterday with a slightly stiff knee but did the same today and it seems to be a lot better.  quad a bit stiff though.

324.49 + 8.04 =
    YTD = 332.53 miles

• Great to hear you're on the mend Harmander.

Dubai, great streak, impressive mileage. 

Not much to report from me, work has been busy (no laughing). And I've been working on getting Leadership in Running qualification from British Athletics so I can do parkrun once we're allowed. 

Gorgeous evening 7 miler last night way out West.
    621 miles YTD 
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai: keep going. I'm impressed. 

Hobie: I'm also looking forward to parkrun. I've missed it. 

8 more making 444.4
  • Thanks Hobie 1495, 

Is that the first or second stage qualification from EA?
    One or two day costing about £180?
    Just asking as our club is sourcing the first stage for about 20 BAME mebers so that they can go out there and increase the participation from the lazy buggers in their communities.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander I think the running world has completed changed! Some aspects for the better, some maybe not so. I do wonder how I used to map out runs using a map and a piece of string.......... 

Hobie thank you from all of us missing ParkRun, like Donnie I miss it, and the cake afterwards. 

Cal well done, when I came back running from hip surgery I thought I would never run more than five mins again, it took time but suddenly it became really easy. Saying this because hopefully it will the the same for you.

First training run for Yorkshire! Determined to be fit enough to be at the start line of anything in the Autumn. 

YTD: 454.06
  • Harmander, yeah it's the Leadership in Running Fitness (LiRF) course, it was £125 for affiliated members but we got it paid for through the running club via training grant from Sport Wales (lottery fund I think).
  • I must be the only person who has never run a park run. Still don’t really know what it is....

Today was up at 0500 to run as I had an English language assessment, as a native speaker never had to do an aviation assessment before but I guess times change. Thankfully I passed with expert level.

The fact it was only 27 degrees at 0500 was also welcome.

Runstreak day 113, 3.46 miles

YTD 678.4 miles

• Runstreak day 114

6.08 miles

YTD 684.48 miles

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone...Great to see plenty going on!
    Donnie... I understand your thinking with the 'hard on every run' idea, but there are many reasons why that would not generally be recommended.
    You can have the 'tired legs' experience from generally increasing mileage, and throwing in some efforts for good measure. One of my favourites, rather than extra long runs (which run the risk of ending in loss of form and injury) is to run on consecutive days...which I rarely do. But well into marathon prep. I would often run a 16' one day, followed by a 10' the next...or something similar.
    Harmander... Already planning your next marathon?! All the best.
    Dubai... Congrats on your streaking! You'll soon be over the 700'!
    Cal... Well done for persevering; 'discomfort still there'   rings a bell!
    TT... You have to be happy with the 'better than MP' runs. (Perhaps you need to target a quicker marathon?) Already preparing for Yorkshire?! I've still got it in the diary (along with Richmond, Milton Keynes and Ghent) and I dream of being ready for the autumn, but it is going to be a long haul.

Extended my walk/run to 4 miles earlier this week (0.25/0.75)  which was fairly comfortable. Yesterday, decided to drop the walk element. And then decided to extend to 5 miles! So, my longest run for over 10 weeks. Serious fade in the final mile but happy to string a few together at last. Yes, the discomfort was still there, but much more localised, in the glute. Need to stretch and rest today.

YTD: 278' .
  • Well done MrM2, and everyone else.
    Had a great day in work yesterday, just everything worked (for us and what we do that's a bonus). Customer is super happy...so home after that to a stunning, warm, evening run on a pretty peaceful coast path.
    Bit of a clear up today and a lunchtime faster 5 miler.
    631 miles YTD
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hobie sounds like a 'good day at the office'.

MrMr2 well done for that run, massive progress. I just want to run a race, so Yorkshire it is. Also it's very close and means I can eat brekkie, jump in the car and start all without rising earlier than I normally do. Tape to tape have announced their 10km in July will be live!!! 

Swift 4.01 miles on the treadmill.

YTD: 458.07
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Excellent, MrM2. That's my next step too.
    TT, I hope so! I haven't been off that long really but currently my HR is much higher and breathing more laboured when I run. It's a bit worrying really.

So two more runs logged. Did 4 on Thursday (12 mins run/1 walk) which felt harder than it should . Today I stuck with 3 miles (well, 5K in fact) and for 15 run/1 walk (so only the one walk break).  Hamstring noticeable but tolerable.
    Physio said once I got to this point I can start doing full runs. Perhaps that will help me moderate my pace better. 

YTD: 375
  • Runstreak day 115

5.62 miles

YTD 690.1 miles

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: thank you for the advice. I like the idea of moderately demanding runs on consecutive days. I should be able to work that into my running. 

Two runs to add 5 and 10 making YTD 459.4, both at 8mpm pace.
  • Runstreak day 116

8.26 miles

YTD 698.36 miles

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Dubai; just about to cross the 700' line! (I imagined that Dubai was flat (ish) but was reading about a cyclist who had a serious accident while going downhill at 40mph, in Dubai???)

Yesterday, I wanted to run and the glute wanted to complain...so now we are both happy! Another 5 miles, with very little fade. (Av. 10:30/mile pace).
    I tell myself that I am running with some discomfort and not 'running through pain'. Seem to be recovering fairly well today.

YTD: 283' .
  • MrM2 the city of Dubai is flat, however the Emirate extends as far as nearly the East coast and towards the Hajar mountains in Hatta. It’s about an hour and half drive from downtown, the quickest way is through Oman, not an option at the moment. 

Received 2 pairs of Hokas today so decided on a second run to break a pair in, another 2.06 miles and through the 700.

YTD 700.42 miles

• Well done on smashing the 700 barrier Dubai, nice work.
    Going well Donnie.
    14 mile of coast path and road nice and early for me today...loved it...no one else out there and even a BMW driver gave me space and a smile.
    645 miles YTD 
    2 Everests in elevation. 
  • Thanks Hobie, great view.

Runstreak day 117, 4.51 miles

YTD 704.93 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Your experience is very similar to mine, MrM2. I did my first continuous run this morning - I kept to 3 miles (well 5K in fact) and was able to maintain a nice even, easy pace (10:42 average...all three miles were within a second of that). HR didn't get overly high so I guess I find it easier to moderate my pace when I don't have to factor in the walk breaks. My Saturday 5K with a one minute walk in the middle was a couple of minutes faster than today's run (including the walk).
    But hammy tendon was pretty grumpy. Like you it isn't painful as such, but the discomfort is noticeable. I am doing all the rehab and warming up properly so it's super annoying that it isn't playing ball. I guess age may be a factor, unfortunately.

Dubai, congrats on the 700.

Hobie, beautiful. We have been lucky with the weather eh? No coastal views here but the blossom trees have been wonderful.

YTD: 378
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Mr MM,: tried your suggestion of medium length runs on consecutive days. Did Saturday and the same route of 10 on Sunday. Saturday was about 78.30, Sunday was hard, from the start, and I dropped away to 81.30. Both were 2x5 loops with approx 30 secs rest at the mid point to grab a drink which I'd left in my front garden. Feel it was good marathon prep. Thank you. 

1x5 today on the same loop, 39.15!

Out again Wed, so two days off. Looking at a proper marathon prep long run next weekend, targeting a 20.

Marathon is Boston UK BHM at the end of May. 

Ytd:474.4
  • Thanks for all the well wishes on my marathon folks!

Week after was a full week off.

Last week= 4, 5, 8.

YTD=339.85

Left knee is definitely still niggly so will pause the long runs for a bit and back off maybe.

Some cracking running all, have a great week.
  • Runstreak day 118

5.18 miles

YTD 710.11 miles