A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hobie I hope that sheep was grateful! Razdaz welcome, I found this thread a great help last year, lots of friendly people.

David evicting a child sounds quite drastic, but I suppose it depends how old they are, some of my friends have children in their mid 20s still at home 😁

Harmander are you back on circuits of the back garden again?

Treadmill again, ice rain this afternoon! Then again as we are being spoken to at 2000 (sounds like being back at school!!) I might be very grateful for it after tonight.

YTD: 25.52
  • TT - you asked.

'Harmander are you back on circuits of the back garden again?'

The answer is yes but hobbling - SWMBO doesn't need to go to Specsavers I found
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    'Planned' for a rest day but had a new lease of life when the surveyor finally left; he went through the house, etc. for five hours!

So, six miles with the last one in 9 mins.. Happy.

YTD: 24' .
  • Welcome razdaz - you'll need about 19 and a bit miles (19.24 to be precise) to stay ahead of the curve :smile:

Well done on getting out in the cold and wet, David!

A good walk is a nice break, Cal - it's amazing how differently the leg muscles are used when walking compared with running.

I guessed you'd describe your treadmill as a good investment, TT - is it a powered one or an "analogue" one (I don't really know what to call one that's not driven by a motor :lol: )? I did start looking at small, fold-away ones when the first heavy fall of snow happened... but I think hubby would have a fit if I brought yet more fitness equipment into the house!!!

Take care with the hobbling, Harmander... that's a recipe for a string of injuries as other parts of the body over-work to compensate!

That's a classic "Harmander" style rest day, MrM2... six miles, including 9-minute miling :lol: What on earth did the surveyor find to look at for FIVE hours though!?

Since it's the 4th I did 4.65 miles in the bitterly cold - but, fortunately, most of the ice and snow under foot has cleared.

YTD: 16.38 miles.
  • Good afternoon all

Re treadmills, I bought one last year and have hardly used it, my wife and one of my sons use it so not a complete waste of money. 

7.08 miles this morning, felt a bit chilly. Need to increase the miles as got a couple of races coming up. 

YTD 19.86

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    6.4 yesterday evening.

Positives: I like running when it's cold, still and very quiet. Enjoyed this run. 

Negectives: I think it's time for the new trainers to make an appearance. Although the feel of a new pair is nearly always lovely, leaving a trusted friend behind is difficult and I'm also a bit 'tight' so squeezing every last mile from the existing ones is a bit of a thing! 

Ytd: 18.8
  • Donnie, I currently have more than 800 miles on my current pair. They're in pretty good shape, though.

A slow ploddy 6 miler today - cold and dreary weather so wasn't tempted to go further.

YTD: 39
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hi-dee-hi campers!

Ah yes - I remember your "bit chilly" from the past, Dubai... has it dropped below 20 degrees C!? :wink: Good luck with the race training... are they real or virtual races?

I'm with you, Donnie2... I love cold and peaceful running too - and I'm notorious for hanging on to trainers for as long as possible... I have a couple of pairs of Adidas Supernova Glide 6s that are my all-time favourite shoe and about four years old - still use them, occasionally!

Cal - slow is often good though... a nice leg stretch, nevertheless :smile:

A rare day-light outing for me. 5.03 miles (for the 5th Jan.) in bright sunshine, but still bitterly cold. Most of the ice and snow has gone now... except one bit that I hit as I swung round a corner and did a full-on Bambi impression. Had to slip-slide across to a wall to hang on to and tiptoe forward... I fully expect a massive spike in HR at that point! :lol:

YTD: 21.41 miles.

• Nell, about 18 degrees!! We have races here again although Dubai marathon is cancelled some smaller races happening. Usually in waves and wearing a mask till through the start line.

I'm currently rotating through 8 pairs of shoes, all tested to try and replace my Saucony Kinvara which can't be bought in the Middle East anymore. 
  • Ahh - fair enough, that is your version of chilly! :smiley: It's great that you've got some real races to look forward to... they sound similar to a few that managed to be run here in the between-lockdown days. It seems very "doable" if plenty of well-thought-out measures are in place.

I'm VERY embarrassed to say that I have in the region of 11 pairs of road shoes in rotation, and four pairs of trail shoes. In my defence though, I have size 1 feet and wear size 2 trainers... so they're all child-sized and priced accordingly. I very rarely pay more than £30-£40 per pair... and I'm very light so I don't wear through them at any great rate. Similar to you, Dubai - the majority of my purchases have been in an attempt to find suitable replacements for the Supernova Glide 6 (not yet achieved... the hunt goes on!).
  • Dubai, 18 degrees sounds like heaven, very cold wind this morning with an alert for some snow tomorrow.

TT, The kids are 9 & 8 so best not to evict them just yet.

Donnie, It is funny how we all have a favourite pair of trainers, I have 6 pairs (not easy to justify to the wife) 2 pairs of Trail and 4 for the road, although it is time to retire a pair or two.

Another 3.25 this morning, the wind was bitter.

YTD = 21.25 Slight adjustment as it would appear I can't add up - not losing .5 mile!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Still a lot of enthusiasm on here!!! Great.
    No ice around when I went out this afternoon. But it was certainly feeling like Winter. (UK winter, Dubai!)

Started with a quick mile but couldn't hold the pace for the 10k. (10k in 58mins)  

YTD: 30' .
  • Thanks Nell et all,

Did 3.27 miles yesterday and 4.70 miles in the garden today.

YTD = 28.02 miles
  • 1st run around work of the year on Monday (don't enjoy it as it's flat, boring & always slightly conscious of time) & a lovely night run on our coast path last night...glad I took a spare torch as head torch was dying on me.

I get nearly 800 miles out of a pair of Brooks Ghost...tight Scotsman. I'm using Scott Supertrac Ultra trail shoes at the moment so will see how long they last till I destroy them.

30 miles YTD

• Those are some tiny Cinderella feet, Nell! Not like my great big boats.

A 14 mile hill run today - my club is doing a hill climbing competition over the next month so decided to get off to a good start.

YTD: 53 (my age, as it happens!)
  • Hobie, I got about 26,000 miles out of my favourite trainers once - (does 25,000 miles of flying count?) 

Just 3.47 miles today.

YTD = 31.49 miles
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    David that is a little young to evict them, but Cambridge university has taken undergrads aged 13 😁

Donnie I have six pairs of road trainers and one of trail. Usually trade them in to be gym trainers at about 350 miles. Nell you do have small feet!  

11.53 miles on the treadmill! Did it in two parts which made it considerably more bearable. But it's so icy up here that it's the only option. I she also signed up with a friend to walk 1000 miles in 2021, I am only counting walks over 3 miles but it's amazing how they all add up. 

YTD: 37.05
  • TT, Best of luck with the walk, that's going to involve a lot of chatter  :)

Cal, Another solid run, well done.

I did another 3.25 this morning with the snow coming down fairly hard, however it wasn't icy so all okay.

YTD = 24.5
  • Evenin' all!

That's still a nice 10K time in these nippy conditions, MrM2.

Good and steady, Harmander - that's probably best. LOL @ 26,000 miles out of your trainers... true :lol:

Great daily-double there, Hobie. I'm also running in trail shoes at the moment... sadly not on trails but my X-Talons are the only things grippy enough to be fully safe on icy pavements - but it wears down the lugs something rotten!

Cal - to use a phrase you used to describe me, when we first met in real-life, you are in proportion... I recall you are a bit taller than average :smiley: I do have freakishly small feet - a combination of both parents also having relatively small feet. I'm so impressed by your volume running and great determination... very inspirational, tbh!

Fab combination of walking and running TT - sounds like really good base building for any future endeavours when we eventually get back to normality.

Your run sounds really nice, David - snow running is lovely... if it's safe underfoot.

I got distracted by watching the nonsense happening at/in the US Capitol Building so my run ended up delayed. Resulted in a late-night, bitterly cold (felt like my face was being flayed off) run for me. Just 6.01 miles - the minimum I needed.

YTD: 27.42 miles.

• Another cold morning so found a long sleeve top.

YTD 30.76 miles

• Nell, I usually do xx.01 as well to stop Strava short changing me. :D
    Absolute madness in the US. Glad Biden's been ratified.

6 (.01) minimal run for me today, too - bit stressed as PC had a bit of a moment when I put it on and I really don't need it dying on me during lockdown when I can't get it fixed. So I decided during the run to purchase a back-up laptop, which I ordered once I got home again. Should be here next week. Still a bit stressed, though, as I don't use a mobile so the PC is my only contact with the outside world right now. Scary how much we rely on tech these days.

YTD: 59
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    David snow running sounds great. Cal I agree we do rely on tech a lot. Without it how would we find out so quickly what is happening, it's almost instant these days (not saying this is a good thing!)

DR if you ever visit Yorkshire you might need some more kit 😁

Back on the treadmill, hideous outside.

YTD: 45.36
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    So many miles being piled on this year!

But not by me; spent most of day looking for obscure documents that the solicitor 'requires'...some going back over 30 years when we made changes to the loft. So, settled for 12' to be my 'long' run this week, and the miles got slower in the fog and zero temp. as it got darker....You've got the picture.

YTD: 42' .
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Could bare to discard the old trainers just yet although suspect they've out stayed their welcome. At a rough estimate 1200 miles in them.

One 5 mile evening loop in exactly 40 mins giving 23.8
  • Wotcha peeps!

Goodness - long sleeves, Dubai! :open_mouth: A real cold snap for you.

Sorry to hear about the PC trauma, Cal, but pleased that you've secured a backup laptop. You're so right about our dependence on tech these days... I accidentally went to work without my handbag today - no cash, no cards, no phone - I was a bit concerned about driving home and the fact that I wouldn't be able to contact hubby if anything happened... but we used to manage absolutely fine in the days before mobile phones!

Agree with you MrM2... top mileage by yourself, TT and Cal - all well over 40 miles with Cal approaching 60 miles: outstanding! :smiley:

Now that's excellent pace there, Donnie - very impressive!

A damp and dreary 7.09 miles for me tonight. It felt really tough after a full day in the lab so I had to slog out a really slow pace.

YTD: 34.51 miles.

• Another cold morning, 17 degrees at dawn. Sales of jumpers and hoodies are up due to the cold snap. Didn’t go out till after 9am and temps were in the low 20s. 5.23 miles.

YTD 35.99 miles

• Morning all,

Donnie, That's a nice round 5 min/km pace.

Nell, Well done on the "slog" only today and tomorrow before you get a small rest bite.

Still a bit nippy and there was a fair bit of ice around on the pavements this morning, however managed to get home without end up on my backside.

07.01 - 3.25
    08.01 - 3.25 + 4

YTD = 35
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    A couple of degrees above freezing, no frost, no fog, so enjoyed a seafront 5 miles. (9:36/mile pace) Happy.

YTD: 47' .
  • Good going guys, after an expat brunch and shisha will be interesting to see if running happens tomorrow.

Stay safe as the UK seems s*** at the moment!!