A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Nice run in the sleet on the coast path with my boy last night & a horrible flat lunch run in work today (have I mentioned I don't like flat?)
    47 miles YTD 
  • I like the sound of this
  • Well done all - not the most inviting weather at the moment. Although that sky looks lovely, Hobie.

Still cold here but got a relaxed 8 miler done today.

YTD: 67
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    7.1 on Friday. I'm a great defender of the met office but their 10% chance of percipatation last night was way off the mark. Last couple of miles were brutal. 

I often take a walk around a local lake which attracts lots of runners of all standards. Most like me plod round and it looks hard work, however I've recent seen a group from the local athletics club who look very different. Posture is so much better, upright not hunched. They make running look effortless. Last night my deal with myself was to not check my watch, run with the same effort and focus on being more upright. Stomach muscles started to ache at about 4k! Came home about 10 secs per k quicker than I expected to. 

Ytd: 30.9
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 I am in awe of the paperwork solicitors need! Hobie that looks fabulous, we are 11 miles from the coast, even our police neighbours do not know if that it local or not!! Donnie that is fantastic, well done. 

Back on the treadmill, sunny outside but icy, very, very icy. David impressed you stayed on your feet. 

YTD: 53.77
  • Hi folks, some great running going on! Well done all.

Will join this thread too if that's Ok.

So far this year 11.3, 5, 4, 7, 12 soooo,

YTD 39.3
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    LintonTT...we are very inclusive! Welcome!
    Donnie...Yes, love to see 'proper' runners; a few passed me today!
    TT...wise to give the ice a miss! 

A couple of degrees above freezing this afternoon, and barely any wind. Lots of people out for a stroll. Enjoyed my flat run (sorry Hobie) of 10 miles, and the legs were very happy.

YTD: 57' . 
  • Welcome to all the new members, some great miles already Lintontraveltavern.
    Cal, good miles building already...TT, I'm very lucky to live next to one bay on the West coast of Wales and work on one on the South of Wales.
    Out today with my boy plotting a route to maybe do a lockdown Backyard Ultra...4.2 mile loop from home...repeat at 1hr intervals...not sure when I'm going to give it a go...will let you all know. 

51 miles YTD 
  • Great going everyone - some big distances "ahead of the curve"!

That's a beautiful photo, Hobie!

Well done, Donnie2... it is amazing the difference posture can have - I find I move so much better if I make sure I "move up on my hips" rather than sit back, which is what I do when I'm fatigued.

Hello and welcome BillyBark and LintonTravelTavern :-)

I did a very late 8 yesterday (8.05 miles, to be precise) and 9.02 miles today, to keep me on track for RtS. Weirdly, Thursday's 7-miler felt horrendous but yesterday's 8 felt OK despite the late hour (I got back home just after midnight) and today's 9 was great - I felt really good and loved every minute of it! I'm ready for tomorrow's cut-back day though.

YTD: 51.58 miles.
  • Are you stalking me, Linton? :D
    Funny how runs can go like that, Nell...for me it's often the shorter easy/recovery efforts that feel like a slog, while the longer runs are more fun.

Speaking of which, another very hilly run today - 17 miles with around 500m of climb. Very cold (-1) but fortunately not too icy - just some pockets of frost and one icy patch in a park.
    It was very misty though - I couldn't even see the Crystal Palace transmitter (which is over 700 feet high) when I was in Crystal Palace park!

YTD: 84
  • Bit overcast here today, but dry...so out for a hilly half. Enjoyed that.
    65 miles YTD 
  • Haha! Hi Cal, yes I'm not sure how much more internet I'm doing post lockdown, but safe to say it's a fair bit!

I've certainly no chance of the 2021 miles in 2021, that is just too much for me.

I don't think I'll be posting any more in the marathon thread though.  Think I'm going to cap my miles at 15.  It's awesome you can go beyond that though! but I don't think I can face runs like that with both the events I've signed up to cancelled.  Some people are doing virtual solo marathons but that sounds awful to me.

Great long run though, well done.  
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Well done on the hilly 17'!
    Little Nell... enjoy the easy days!
    Hobie...a hilly half...well done, and now planning an ultra!! When do you plan to run, and how many laps do you have in mind?

Another double loop this afternoon; cold but not icy. A headland 6', hoping to maintain 10 min/mile pace. Had 53 secs in hand on the first loop but was long, by 43 secs, in the second loop. Only given myself one rest day this week (51 miles), so cut-back week is coming!

YTD: 69' .
  • Howdy pardners!

Cal - you're really nailing the tough runs... another outstanding effort!

Good luck with the next "DIY-ultra", Hobie. Reading about your previous home-based ultra inspired me to do the 35-miler in December :smile:

Very much enjoyed the short run today, thanks MrM2! Really excellent total by you so far already - you definitely deserve a cut- back week!

Just a swift(ish) 2.13 miles for me tonight, after a 4.28-mile walk as a warm up to ensure my step total for the day (can't get 10K+ steps with only a 2-mile run :lol:). Was very grateful for the relative rest.

YTD: 53.71 miles.

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    LintonTT welcome, all are welcome here, just have to want to run! Donnie I tried it to, it was easier, which was amazing given the headwind. I decided to go outside as given the weather forecast it might be the last run outside for a while. Still really cold but not icy. 

Little Nell in awe of you running every day. Cal well done, you seem to find more hills in London than we have in Yorkshire. MrMr2 how many days a week do you normally run?

YTD: 62.1
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Great to have a couple of new names on the thread. Hope you say around.

Sunday evening for 7.4 miles - calm conditions and run on quiet residential roads, I could safely jog on the carriageway much of the time.

Will run this evening but can hear the wind picking up....

YTD 38.3
  • Wind picked up a lot over here, but prefer running at home than work...might be the shower afterwards (our gym showers in work are shut due to Covid). So will get out tonight in the wind & rain to do a little recover & keep it ticking over.

Nell, MrM2,
    DIY ultra is easy to plan & do...it's a mental challenge to keep going without the help of other runners but the facilities are good each lap & if I'm in her good books Mrs Hobie might keep the tea & munchies going for 12 hours...just need a decent day to do it...Sunday looks possible, I'd love to do 50 miles (12 loops) but who knows...Still hoping real races can happen later this year.

Well done on logging the miles everyone.
  • Lintontraveltavern, Welcome to our thread, best off luck with this year's challenges.

Dubai, Yes pretty crap here at the moment, what is it like in Dubai?

Donnie, I do know a few things about running posture as I have a friend who is a sports therapist, however a lot easier said than done in practice, when you tire you drop your head, this not only stops the correct breathing rhythm but also naturally arches your back which in turn reduces stride length, best not to tire!

Hobie, Love the sound of the Back yard Ultra, really enjoyed the one I did, as you are aware they aren't as easy as one would think!

Nell, Great effort so far, glad you are enjoying the cut back days.

MrM2, Nearly 70 miles already, brilliant effort - it is only the 11th.

Cal, Nice 17' on Sunday, I did do a 25 just before Christmas and to be honest the last 5 miles were painful.

As for me, still managing to get out every day, I took my 9 year old lad with me for his 1st 5.2K on Saturday, we had a slow jog along with the odd walk and chat along the way, a very pleasant 40 minutes. 

09.01 - 3.25
    10.01 - 3.25 + 3.5
    11.01 - 3.25

YTD = 48.25

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Dave: I'm convinced that for most of us the quickest route to progress is via improved posture whilst running. What you described is exactly I've been trying to. Harder than it seems. 

6.5 tonight making Ytd: 44.8
  • Halloooo!

Thanks, TT - well done on your outdoor run today... I think wind is my absolutely most hated weather condition for running!

Nice couple of runs for you, Donnie. Will be interested to hear how you get on with your running form - if you think it makes a difference for you.

Sounds like a good plan, Hobie. How long do you stop off each time? I think I made my run sections too long compared to how it would be done in an actual organised Ultra... I did (approx.) 15, then 11, then 9. I'm thinking shorter sections with more frequent stops might be need for longer distances - which is what you are describing. Do more frequent stops help, in your opinion?

Cheers, David. It's lovely that your lad went out running with you - and a great opportunity to spend some time with him. Your mileage is stacking up nicely too :smile:

I did another late night 'short walk'-'short run' combo in totally biblical conditions. Without any risk of exaggeration, I have NEVER got so drenched when out on a run. It was heavy rain during the walk but sky-water of epic proportions when I started the run section. Ended up doing the bare minimum for the day: a 2.04 run, with a 3.03-mile walk as a warm up.

YTD: 55.75 miles.
  • I remember rain like that one year when I went to Hull Fair, Nell. We (me and my friends) had just got onto the Wild Mouse coaster and the heavens opened. I was blind for the entire ride, there was that much water.

Donnie, I agree. Ran 8 miles today and the last mile, where I really concentrated on posture, was 30 seconds faster than the others. Granted, I was more warmed up as well, but it definitely helps.

YTD: 92 (Looks like I'll be first to the century).
  • Congratulations in advance on the first 100 of the year Cal.
    Another 4.2 mile loop today, testing how slow I can go...probably need to slow it down a bit more. Nell, I'm planning 10 or 15 minute breaks...most I've done is 33 miles so we'll see what happens. 
    73 miles YTD 
  • Just 2 small ones to add on; a 4.1 mile recovery and a 4 mile tempo.

YTD 47.8

Good going Cal! and everyone else.

I did one of those downpour runs last monday Little Nell! not fun at all.

• Evenin' all!

Congrats on potentially being the first to a tonne, Cal! Ah yes... I recall your love of roller coasters, now you mention it :lol: If it had been snow last night it would have been described as a "white out"... as it was it was a "grey out"!

Hahaha... I found the slowing down happened naturally for me, Hobie... as I got more and more knackered - but I know what you mean, I had practised "allowing" myself to run very slowly in training runs as preparation.

A nice brace of runs there LTT - I presume they were in the dry this time! :smile:

Just a little, blissfully dry, 5K - 3.12 miles - for me today. Didn't leave it too late so felt good but saw a lot more people out and about compared with my usual late-night forays.

YTD: 58.87 miles
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    TT...a few years ago I would have said that my running was limited to three times per week, with an occasional 4th. It has been increasing over recent years and now looks more like 4 or 5 times. But the main difference has been the distance. For my first marathons (twenty years ago) I would average about 26 miles per week over the 12 week prep. period. And now a 40-50 mile week is quite normal.
    Hobie... glad that you can run with your lad. Will he attempt a few laps with you?
    DavidC... You seem to be going well this year. And another one running with his lad! Great.
    Little Nell... Sorry about your 'baptism'. They say that there is no 'bad' weather...only inappropriate clothing. True to a point but there is a limit! I'm not a fair-weather runner but I do try to avoid the worst days of wind and rain.
    Cal... blazing a trail for us to follow! Well done, and hope you can keep going without injury! I'd be wary of Harmander; he's just as likely to produce his running achievements for this year, and pop up ahead of all of us.

An enjoyable 11 mile mix of seafront and hills with 4 miles of Fartlek included on the return. (10 min/mile Av.)
    Must say that I'm tempted to experiment with a few laps (like Hobie) and would also like to challenge myself with a few consecutive days of Half marathons, possibly leading to a couple of consecutive day marathons.(?) But then I seem to recall saying something about 'shorter and faster' runs for a period?!!

YTD: 80' .
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: if the target is  2021 in 2021 you're off to a flying start. Well done. 

Nell: I like running after drk, maybe not as late as you've been out, but I like it very relaxing when the rest of the world have retreated behind their curtains. 

Westher: don't mind a windy day to much although it can mess up timings. Hate heavy rain, the condition which will see me, shall we say, change my plans. 

Once around my 5 mile loop to make Ytd: 49.8
  • I seem to have failed at doing shorter faster stuff too, MrM2...I find it's the long runs I enjoy, with occassional fartlekky bits. I do not enjoy the sustained hard efforts.
    Donnie, it's wind I hate...don't mind a bit of rain as long as it's not too heavy. It was a fine drizzle today, which I rather enjoyed.
    12 miles - testing out some more hills so over 300m climbed. I really enjoy the hills - there must be something wrong with me.

YTD: 104
  • Cal, Congratulations on the 100! By my calculations at that speed - That's 2912 for the year?

Hobie, The race director who looks after the Backyard ultra in Suffolk, said the people who seem to do well generally take 52-54 minutes a lap, as the body doesn't cool down to much between laps and the easier pace so less trauma in general.
    However saying that I did watch Adam Holland last year on his Treadmill bang out a +24Hr at < 30min a lap, so probably rubbish.

MrM2, Wouldn't mind back to back HM's if I had the time, not sure about full ones though, especially with no company.

Out late for me again yesterday around 10pm, I think I prefer the mornings to be honest, however a few nice laps with very few people around which was nice.

12.01 - 3.25 + 3.5

YTD = 55
  • Not a chance, David! There will be some downtime at some point, and some cut-back weeks...but as I'm currently involved in a climbing challenge, I'm getting my hilly runs in.
    10pm is late - I'm in bed by then!
  • David, thanks...makes sense especially at this time of year to keep warm...I guess by lap 9 I might be doing that kind of pace.
    Cal, well done on the 100...nice work.
    Just a couple of miles in work today around our test track for me.
    75 miles YTD