A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Congratulations on the 50th anniversary MrM2.
  • Harmander: feel for you with the GNR issue. Good however that you're able to take part. 

Mr MM: happy anniversary. Hope you're now able to look forward to Yorkshire. 

Did a standard after work 5 miles yesterday and today. Warm weather really hurt me! Temperatures which are nothing in comparison to Dubai but put a minute on my usual time and had to push myself to do that. 

Ytd: 958.9
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie I can totally relate to the heat, I was out at 0615 and it was hitting up then! This weather is not usual for Yorkshire.

Harmander what an amazing email, and a brave, but totally understandable decision.

Run then gym, second three days running in a row. Foot balance almost back to 50:50 and no niggles what more can a runner want??

YTD: 756.7

• Nearing 1000 Harmander, well done & sorry to hear you're not going to pace GNR, I guess it's massively important to be at your peak to maintain what everyone needs...here's to 2022.
    Coast path one for me last night trying to clear my head (didn't work) but the sunset was stunning.
    1290 miles YTD
  • Ah thanks Harmander. He kept slowing down and I'd pass him, and then he'd speed up again. He's obviously a lot quicker than me if he can run a 3:20 marathon so I guess he was just enjoying himself.
    Very sorry you can't pace GNR, I know you must be very disappointed...although that does leave you free to enjoy it at your own pace, 

TT, I always enjoyed spin, but only if it was a purely cycling spin class. I had no tolerance for nonsense like handlebar push-ups or bouncing up and down in the saddle as though you were trotting on a horse. 

9 miles today with some fartlek stuff in the middle. Not sure where I found the energy for that...I suppose I ought to take tomorrow a bit easier.

YTD: 905 (level up!)
  • Thank you all for your understanding about me giving up my pacer place but I feel my conscience being clear is worth more to me than a false ego and the possibility of letting others down if I failed to deliver on the day. Honesty is the best approach my parents taught me.

Cal, yes, Manjit is the fourth fastest marathoner in our club, I am third (historically) at 3:11:36.  The other two are sub 3 hour runners - one of whom is my 76 year old uncle (the ever present at GNR). I believe his time was about 2:50 - many moons ago.
  • Congrats on the 900 Cal

5.65 miles today

YTD = 982.42 miles

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks...Harmander, Donnie...Yes, 50 years is a long time. We were at a funeral of a dear friend, today. This couple married one year before us, and we had known them for all that time. Now the husband will have to adjust to a 'single' life.
    Harmander... Sorry that you will not be one of the Pacers at GNR but hope that you will recover well from whatever you have upset, and enjoy the outing! Advance Congrats for your 1000 miles!
    TT... Sounds like you have knocked your body back into shape! Yes. I ran Yorkshire in 2019, and although I could only manage to scrape in just under 4:20 it was good enough to get 1st place in the M75 category, in the Masters Champs. Which is the main reason for wanting to return this year. But I'm under no illusion about my chances, and in my shape and condition I don't really deserve to medal any way!
    Donnie... So right about the heat! I've normally been able to adjust quite easily, but with the heat being such a rare experience this year I've found it quite testing.
    Hobie... Very close to 1300'..well done.
    Cal... still knocking out the miles, and safely over the 900 mark! I also tried a Fartlek session this morning.

Had thoughts of doing a long run this morning but legs had other ideas. They kept reminding me that I increased my mileage significantly last week (43') and it was only two days since I tried a 'brisk' 10k, and yesterday I was on-the-go for more than 12 hours including the 100 mile drive which took 3 hours due to an accident on the M3.....So, the legs were right (Again!)
    In the end I was happy to complete 10 miles. 

YTD: 669' .
  • Runstreak day 253

3.9 5.79
    4.9 3.33
    5.9 10
    6.9 9.25
    7.9 4.41
    8.9 3.44
    9.9 6.39

YTD 1304.13 miles

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just dropping by to congratulate Dubai! 253 days! and now passing 1300 miles!  Well done.
  • Well done on the streak, Dubai!

MrM2, wisdom is listening to the old bod, I think. I wanted to do 6 today but settled for four after a particularly terrible night's sleep. Very slow recovery pace, too.

YTD: 909
  • Congrats to Dubai from me too.
    More than two thirds of the way done.
  • Cal:  hot nights, never sleep well. 

TT: foot balance back to 50/50, what does this mean? 

Dubai: really hope you reach 365.

Around the 5 mile loop. 

Ytd: 963.9
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie my Garmin tells me my foot balance, 50:50 means equal weight and landing on each foot. When I started back after my broken pelvis it was about 45:55! Cal I feel for you in London with the heat but congratulations on that 900.

DR well done! MrMr2 that is a brilliant achievement on the Master's Marathon, and 10 miles as well.

Out before I really knew I was awake!

YTD: 761.91
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal...You're spot on about listening to the 'old bod'! It gave me a right ear-bashing today until I agreed to lower my sights, and settled for 12 miles...getting slower and slower! Cadence was pathetic. Think I need to call this a 'cut-back' week and try to get a decent month of steady prep., starting next week.

YTD: 681' .
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 I am in awe of your tenacity and determination. 

Highest weekly mileage since April. Five runs which is the biggest number since 2016 (when I shredded my labrum).

YTD: 768.04
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal did you have your tests yesterday? I seem to remember you saying the 10th September?
  • Yeah TT, got the echo done. Took a while...so I assume results won't be quick. I'll be getting a phone consult at some point. Well done on your mileage.

Hazelwood parkrun today (at the home of London Irish) - plus a mile run there from the station. Par for the course - two seconds under 27 minutes. My speed doesn't seem to be improving. I do have the Richmond half tomorrow, mind you. Hoping I can manage a sub-2 this time.

YTD: 913
  • Well the half didn't go well...at all...first few miles were great but started labouring after that and was paranoid about my heart so ended up jeffing the last six miles. 2:13:32. Not quite a personal worst, as my first half (back when I didn't know what I was doing and didn't even have a Garmin) was slower, as was the half I power walked when I was injured. Not great though, so will likely drop out of Manchester. I don't see how I can manage a decent marathon if I can't run a sub-2 half.

YTD: 926
  • Well done on the 900 Cal and 1300 Dubai. Nearing 1000 Donnie.
    Finally back in the 40 mile weeks for me...nice easy half this morning on my 4.2 mile loop...started slowly and upped the pace for each loop.
    1320 miles YTD 

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Sorry that the Half didn't go to plan. I'm relying on my Taper week to get me ready for Yorkshire! Risky, I know, but I can see a pattern of improvement following some decent rest-days. (There's a surprise!!!)
    TT... Kind words; some people call it 'a stubborn streak'!!
    Hobie... Sounds like a very structured Half!

Kept to my 'rest-day' plans yesterday but couldn't wait to get out this morning. A warm-up mile followed by a 'brisk' 5km. 29:09 is my best time since Feb., so there is some patchy progress.

YTD: 685' .
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal sorry to hear about the HM. Do you have any idea when the tests will be back?

Hobie well done on 40 miles in a week.

MrMr2 good to see progress, my physio says I was fortunate to break a bone, bones heal at a regular rate, unlike many other things.

Another brick this morning, I am beginning to like starting the week this way!

YTD: 776.64
  • Echoing the sentiments of others on the positives and the unfortunate bits.

09/09 - 4.20

11/09 - 4.20
    12/09 - GNR

(21.51)

YTD = 1003.93 miles.

My chip time was 1 second ahead of the missus.

• Well done on reaching the 1000 Harmander, no doubt plenty more to come before the end of the year for you.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander...Congrats on passing 1000' and completing the GNR.
    Whatever happened to 'ladies first'?!?!
  • Saturday was my first park run sandwich. 2.5k to the venue, 5k for the run and then what ever it was to make a total of 8.4 miles. 

Harmander: well done on the thousand. 

Ytd: 972.3
  • Thank you all.
    MrM2,  I deliberately let her start ahead of me - knowing that if we crossed the line together my chip time would be faster. I am not just good looking lol.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander well done on the GNR and 1000. 

Donnie a PR sandwich, sounds good to me.

Out early and it was dark so had to decide where to go (some of the streets don't have lighting!!!). Very short, very slow.

YTD: 779.81
  • I hope you won't be sleeping on the sofa for that, Harmander! (Well done!)
    And well done to Donnie.

A lousy 3 miles today...had two days off running (although I did drag myself to the gym) so thought I would be fine today, but my legs felt like lead so I bailed early.

YTD: 929
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Two days with no running (ankle resting) should have helped me on my long run today. Wrong! From the first mile I knew that it was going to be a hard slog. But I was pleased that my ankle didn't complain too much.
    So, 16 slow miles. (Last year I was rattling them off, almost 2mins/mile faster!?)
    Once again Cadence was pathetic. Legs just weren't that interested.

YTD: 701'.