A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Harmander, I probably still will. Cal, you do get kinda used to it. I guess the mask wearing is helping keep our cases at 300 a day rather than the thousands.

Runstreak day 268

Ran in 40 degree heat but now can relax in the pool with my family and a couple of bottles of champagne to celebrate my eldest being made head boy.

24.9 2.05

YTD 1372.47 miles

• Well done young Dubai.
    I have got used to it too.
    I also know what my breath smells like - just kidding.
  • Are you pacing at Ealing, Harmander? I might see you.
  • Cal, no I decided not to take up the offer this time - Bib number is 2686
    But you can still see me - it would be lovely to see you too.
    Have a good run.
  • 3007 here, Harmander. 
  • Thank you - don't wait up, I will be a few hours :-)
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai... Masks and 40 degrees...No thanks. Glad the rules are easing.
    TT... Yes...16+10 has long been a favourite preparation feature for me. I do love the longer runs of 20 miles when I'm feeling good but at the moment I'm on a bit of a knife-edge and need to do only what I have to(?).
    Cal... and Harmander...All the best for Ealing!

Wanted to end my week with another 10 miles. (Results were exactly what I achieved 5 days ago : Time was 01:42 giving a pace of 10:12/mile.) At the end of a busy week (46 miles) I'm happy with that. Also pleased that I seem to have 'shaken off' various niggles. (?)

Because I can only coax 16 miles out of my 7 year old Garmin Forerunner 220 I've invested(?) in a 45 Plus, and this morning I wore both watches. Had to hastily delete the run recorded on the new watch! The GPS track went wild! It gave me a distance of 24.79 miles and a stride length of 2.35m! (Pace just over 4min/mile!) Another interesting detail was the 7857 ft Ascent! (Hobie would be proud of me!)

YTD: 759' .
  • Cal and Harmander: good luck tomorrow at Ealing.

Mr MM and Cal: I'm taking your advice, the Sheffield HM is tomorrow and they'll be the only miles I run. I was considering another run in the evening so the combined total would be my final long run before the Manchester marathon. The collective wisdom suggests otherwise which I'll follow. 

Tues and Thurs around the 5 mile loop and a very steady parkrun this morning. 

Ytd: 1018.6
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Beverley 10km, my first mass start since, well, I cannot actually remember! Loads of people running and masses of spectators, all in all a very welcoming and supportive race. 

However, am I the only person who stands at the sign for the time they think they are going to run??? I started at the area between the 55 and 50 mins (ran in 52:59 according to Garmin) and apart from four people in the last half mile I overtook all the time and noone overtook me! 

Started at 9mpm, ended at 8.02, very pleased.

Donnie hopefully Sheffield went really well?

MrMr2 that sounds like an interesting run 🤔

Cal and Harmander I hope you both enjoyed Ealing. 

YTD: 825.51 
  • I hope you did well, Donnie.
    TT, I think a lot of people are optimistic. To be honest I've been that way recently, as I've been failing to hit times that were routine a couple of years ago. I guess other people may be in the same boat.

I made the decision to run Ealing by feel rather than pace today and I really enjoyed it. Still over two hours (2:03:54) but it was an improvement over the horrors of the last two, I didn't blow up and I felt decent towards the end. I guess I just need to get fitter, then.
    Harmander, I did keep an eye out for you but didn't manage to find you...sorry about that. I hope you had a good race too.

YTD: 983
  • Cal and TT: seems like your weekend races have gone well. You both seem positive which has to be good. 

I'm happy with my Sheffield HM. Finished in 1:45.09, which was a little over two minutes quicker than 2019 when I was last there. I felt strong towards the end, might have been able to shave those 9 secs off my final time if I'd realised I was close to sub 1.45.

Its a big 'run for all' city event on an unusual course. 6 and a bit miles of up hill running from the start and then the same down hill to an undulating final km. Hard to judge pace and effort levels. 

The stretch on Ecclesall Rd is the closest I'll ever get to the feeling pro cyclist get on a hill stage, a funnel of people applauding. Sheffield as a city really does support this event. 

Ytd: 1031.7
  • Sounds great, Donnie - cracking time for a hilly course. That's the thing I love about Ealing - it's so well supported by the community. It makes such a huge difference.

• I didn't enjoy Ealing today but pleased Cal and Donnie done good.

Central line was stopping at Turnham Green, had to reroute via District Line and got there as the last were leaving while I was still trying to pin my bib. Was doing fine (sub 12 minute miles/ 7:13min/km) until 10km and then the downhill near the station disagreed with my quad and walked along the footpath until 9 mile mark out of the park before I started Jeffing - - the last km was also a struggle with the quad.  Only plus is the finishing time was under the GNR one.
    Guess I will be taking it real easy at the VLM next week with Vanesa (347 marathons) who has a broken arm and John (Superman who is on 354 marathons) but is lucky his leg is not broken.
  • That's a shame, Harmander...I hope you'll be OK for London. I went on the Piccadilly to South Ealing...did you mean Piccadilly? The Central doesn't go through Turnham Green.
  • Yup, Central line was only up to White City at the time.
    Going to claim 15 miles for today - lol

I should have stayed at my friend's house in Ealing last night.
  • Great running everyone, sorry I've been away from here for a few days feeling sorry for myself...got on the bike on Saturday to work out a route for Virtual London...bit easier on the dodgy knee...route worked out to be 28.5 miles so that might be OK. Probably best to take it easy on myself this week & see how Sunday goes.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hobie how are you feeling now? Sorry to read you were not good.

Harmander sounds like Ealing was tough. Hopefully London will be a good run. 

Donnie well done on Sheffield, I am always surprised how many hills there are round the centre of Sheffield!

Cal fabulous that you enjoyed the HM. Getting fitter is definitely one of my aims.

Spin then run. Run felt really good after Sunday.

YTD: 830.54
  • That's good, TT. Less good about your knee, Hobie. Fingers crossed.

5 miles today, trying to keep my cadence up a bit. Unfortunately I've had a bit of a hip niggle since the race (it's one of the tendons in the front...I suspect I may have been compensating for the dodgy hamstring and overworked it a bit) so may need a day or two off if it doesn't go away on its own.

YTD: 988
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    There's a few of us in the Recovery ward at the moment! Let's hope that things will improve...soon!

Donnie...You did well at the Sheffield Half...Well done! Hope you are feeling fresh again, soon.

TT... Beverley 10k seems to have gone really well to plan! And a strong finish pace!

Cal... Glad that you could enjoy Ealing even though you are not quite where you want to be! I need to do some shorter work, like your 5 mile, to focus on cadence...etc...!   Getting very close to 1000'.

Harmander... Sorry that you are struggling at the moment. Hope that you can enjoy London!

Hobie... Hope that you will soon see some improvements with your knee!

Half full or Half empty? It's all rather academic. The reality is that it isn't at the level where I want it to be! 
    Yesterday's 10km run was supposed to be a confidence booster by coming in better than 10 min/mile pace. Well, it was exactly 10 min/mile! So, a bit of a disappointment. And it's not as though I didn't make an effort; my heart rate was much higher than it should have been. Cadence was nowhere near where it was meant to be.

With time running out before Yorkshire I need to be careful that I don't chase myself into a downward spiral. I'm probably at the point where 'more is less', and I need to settle pretty much with what I have in the bank and try to arrive at the start line injury-free. Need to 'box clever' for the next ten days, then enjoy a quiet week.

YTD: 765' .
  • Since the Sheffield half on Sunday, I've been around my standard 5 mile loop on two occasions. Just to loosen up. With Manchester marathon a week on Sunday, I'm being sensible from now on. 

Mr MM: hope Yorkshire goes well. It's my local event but not there this time as it clashed with a family 'do:. 

Ytd, :1041.7
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 hopefully that start line awaits, and a positive race follows. Completely understand your 'box clever' approach.

Donnie well done, you made it to the taper!

Intervals at 5km pace this morning, very grateful to be on the treadmill, it's cold up here!

YTD: 835.67
  • Thanks for good wishes towards my poorly knee, it's feeling a wee bit better.
    Decided that for Virtual London on Sunday I should stay close to home doing lots of short loops...just in case it goes wrong I'll not have far to walk.
    I've got a 1.8 mile loop (includes a 325ft climb) that I can do from my front door...if I do that 14.5 times I'll end up at the pub in the village on marathon distance for a lunch time pint...sounds like a plan to me.

2 loop practice last night.
    1359 miles 
    116,000ft elevation

Good luck to everyone racing (virtually or for real) this weekend, forecast looks interesting, never boring.
  • Rather you than me, Hobie.
    A brisk 6 this morning...wind was a little chilly.

YTD: 994
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... All the best for your Virtual; sounds a bit challenging to me!

Donnie... Hold on for one more week!

TT... I'm thinking that I might need to use a treadmill, to re-introduce my legs to a bit of pace!

Cal... Self-control??? Stopping at 994'? 

Chilly here this morning but set off in search of that 'sweet-spot' of 10min/miling. Didn't find it. Actually that wasn't my focus; more about Cadence, and trying out a new route. Quite an undulating course, but less traffic.
    Not sure how I'm going to make pace-improvements. All I seem to be doing is consolidating my mediocrity.
    So, another 10km at 10:04/mile. Of course I'm happy! (Not satisfied...just happy! At least I'm running.)

YTD: 771' .
  • MrM2...Given I have a bit of a niggly hip, doubling my run from 6 to 12 miles wouldn't have been sensible, eh?
  • Anyway, 6 miles this morning. 

YTD: 1000 🎉
  • Congratulations on reaching 1000 Cal, great work.
    I said I wasn't going to race our club (nearly 5k) Handicap last night...for several reasons, I don't like 5ks, my knee is a bit iffy, I have a marathon to run on Sunday...so I got drawn in & did it in 19mins 33secs...and enjoyed it, and knee didn't hurt too much.
    1363 miles YTD
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie.. 'got drawn in'.....How does that happen?! A good pace too! Well done. All the best for the 26.2' !

Cal... Congratulations on reaching 1000 miles!  How's the 'niggly hip'? Know exactly what you mean about being sensible. 

Recovery day for me. Must get on with some stretches. Then...'Test it or Rest it?' will be the tension for the next two weeks! Getting into Taper-territory, I should probably seek a second opinion on most of my decisions!

Harmander...Hope you are all prepared for London! Enjoy!
  • Hobie, that's like me at pre-race parkruns. Which is why I decided to volunteer last Saturday.  :D
    MrM2...still a bit niggly...I did pilates yesterday and I think a couple of the exercises will have put a bit of stress on it, but I don't think it's much to worry about at the moment. Tomorrow's a rest day so it can calm itself down a bit. (Well, it better!)
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal well done on the 1000, enjoy your rest day. 

Hi I've brilliant 5km time, fabulous. 

MrMr2 I totally understand your frustration with pace. I do find some treadmill intervals help me, don't look forward to them!

It's cold, wet, and windy, up in the Lakes so it's also rather hilly. Met cows on the track this morning, turned round, they had calves with them and the mummy cows looked very protective. Must have escaped from the field. 

YTD: 842.38