A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Wow there is se.serious mileage being clocked up. Well done Cal for the first 100. Donnie if you like running after dark then that's about 1600 at the moment round here! 

MrMr2 has it become easier to run that mileage? Asking because my aim is four runs a week this year, trying for consistency. Nell if you don't like wind then don't enter the Fleetwood HM! Gusts of 40 miles the year we did it, and it's in August. 

Back on the treadmill!

YTD: 68.31
  • Just a quick note tonight cos I'm shattered! :smile:

YAY... Cal!!! Well done on passing the 100 mark :mrgreen:

TT - I did the Blackpool marathon a few years back... the one that goes up and down the front. It was really sheltered on the lower promenade but a nightmare on the upper (North) promenade! :lol: We seem to be roughly keeping pace with one another with our mileage.

A damp but not drenched 4.35 miles for me this afternoon. Luckily, even though I complained about it on Monday, I do like running in the rain.

YTD: 63.22 miles.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    TT...Yes, generally the miles have become easier, but the shoes suffer.
    Cal... Well done on sailing through the first hundred!

Went out far too late for a five mile easy, pre-stretch run. Came back after a pathetic three miles. And then the  stretches all seemed difficult. (Legs like logs!) Really looking forward to tomorrow!

YTD: 83' . 
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    My 5 mile loop but needed to disappear down a cul de sac to avoid a turning car so that plus running passed my front door added an extra 0.1!

Mr MM: a consequence of 10 months away from the gym has been to neglect my stretching. Not good, I must try harder. 

Ytd: 54.9
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Those 0.1 miles all add up Donnie!

MrMr2 good to hear the miles become easier. I have kept to my NYR to stretch for 10 mins after every run for two weeks, this might be the longest I have kept a NYR! 

Back on treadmill, I think my mental resilience is improving, as is my ability to change the words to pop songs, the run must go on............

YTD: 76.73
  • Nell, I've thought about the Blackpool Marathon (since I love rollercoasters and it would tie in well with a trip to the Pleasure Beach) but I've not heard great things about it. Aside from the wind, what did you think of it?

We all get days like that, MrM2.
    I'm with Donnie - I really need to stretch more. I do some warm-up stuff before I go out but no real stretching after.

Recovery 5 miles today (really, really slow...12 minute pace) in the rain. The rain wasn't the problem so much as big puddles and some flooded sections. I decided to cut up the common on the way home which was a mistake, as it was under water. I gamely splashed through one flood but found the next one too deep so had to turn back. Think I will avoid that area for a while.

YTD: 109
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    That was better. A steady 12' run; out and back along the seafront. Av. pace 10 min/mile. Happy.

YTD: 95' .
  • 5 miles in just absolutely awful weather tonight, I wimped out a bit as it really should have been 7! Cold, wet, windy. Still nice after being at work.

YTD 52.8
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hello to all :smile:

MrM2 - I had a touch of your leaden legs today as well... glad yours recovered enough for a good 12-miler... so close to the tonne for you too!

Ah Donnie - you've slipped into my territory of X.01 distances... hahaha. As TT says, all those tenths of a mile add up.

Great NYR maintenance, TT - well done. I always remind myself about mental toughness when I'm slogging out the miles that feel particularly horrendous. You're comfortably ahead of me now :smile:

Cal - Blackpool wasn't too awful... I think there is more than one Blackpool half though. I did the one they cunningly call "The Great Northwest Half Marathon". It was in mid-Feb and I caught the sun from the really sheltered lower promenade. The most surprising thing was the amount of climbing involved because the route transitions from the lower to the upper promenade at the north end and it's really steep in a short distance - and you have to do that twice as it's a back-and-forth route that never leaves the promenades on the front. Having said that, I did run a PB at the time :smiley:

LTT - I can really empathise with your dreadful weather... getting 5 done was an achievement in those conditions!

As mentioned above, a slog of 5.03 miles for me this evening. The first three or so miles felt slow - then I thought I sped up a bit... turns out I really didn't :neutral: Ah well - at least it's done!

YTD: 68.25 miles.

• Donnie, I have also found that being away from the gym has meant my stretching has suffered, as you say I must try harder.

Cal, Plenty of water about yesterday, but no floods for me, however this does remind me of some pictures that were posted from a set of Marathons in Great Barrow - Suffolk a few years ago where the runners had to go through a massive flood, easily knee depth.

I have again been out pretty late for the last couple of days due to early starts at work, definitely prefer mornings!

13.01 - 3.25
    14.01 - 3.25

YTD = 61.5
  • I remember Venice Marathon a couple of years ago when they had to go through a flood. I almost felt bad for all the peeps who had to get their Vaporflys wet. :D

8 today - a 7 mile progression and then a 1 mile cool-down.

YTD: 118
  • Great miles as always everyone...a daily run for me this week, desperately trying to slow the pace down ready for something silly this weekend. My boy is going to join me for a few laps, nice thing with it being a backyard one is home is never far away.

Probably no surprise but I enjoy running in the rain...being Scottish & living in Wales if I didn't I'd never get out.

81 miles YTD
  • Cal, Yes now you mention it I remember that, I also know Harmander being caught out on the Thames path a few times  :D

Hobie, Best of luck, look forward to the race report - 1st of year!
  • David, there's a bit that floods around Barnes...the race my club organises in March goes along that part so we always have to look out for it. 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... All the best for your 'silly' week-end! Look forward to hearing about your strategy to manage 50'!!

Today's weather simply demanded a run! So, a steady 10 min/mile pace got me round in exactly 2hrs 10mins for the 13 miles which included a busy prom., a couple of piers and a run around the chines. Happy.

YTD: 108' .
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Still on 54.9 we've a few inches of lying snow and after a slight thaw and a freeze the paths are covered in rutted ice. Looking at the forcast, might get out Sunday evening as a best estimate. 

• Enjoy this weekend's looooooooong run, Hobie. Will be nice to have your boy running with you for company for part of it! Definitely want to hear a blow-by-blow account when it's done - so I can pick up tips.

Top work MrM2 - that run sounds great and congrats on breaking the 100-mile barrier :mrgreen:

Wise to give the rutted ice a miss, Donnie - don't risk it!

A basic, easy run of 6.30 miles for me this evening.

I have a question for you wise runners on here: Something weird has started to happen with my HR - just over the past few weeks (possibly since my 35-miler, I'll have to check back)... my HR rises steadily at the start of a run and goes up really high - way past where it would normally go (but not up to max HR realms) and then drops down to a sensible level for the type of run. It's not a vertical line - so it's not a HRM/watch/tech glitch - it looks like a sensible curve at the start of a run but just seems to over-shoot its settling point (today up to 159 then down to a more sensible 141-144 or so). I haven't changed my warm up routine: I still do dynamic leg swings and squats in the house and then high knees and "bum kicks" jogging up and down in front of my house, and the start of my runs are usually flat or down hill. I feel fine - I don't notice my HR... it just looks odd and didn't do that in the past. Does anyone else see this? Or does anyone have any thoughts?

YTD: 74.55 miles

• Great job MrM2 - you'll be past me in no time.
    Nell, no idea really - are you using a chesty or just your watch? The latter can be inaccurate though I only have experience of my watch. My HR tends to be rather high on it - 150s for a normal run and it went up to 180 yesterday on my progression, but I take it with a pinch of salt.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Just slipping quietly onto the thread after a '20 wipeout, have discovered without races i can lose the will to run.

Lovely to have you back Nell, and re yr HR - no idea why; I have a garmin and switched the pulse reader off as they're just not that accurate, but have got a BP monitor that I very occasionally use just to check up on things. My daughter, who's a Physio, recommends getting a pulse oximeter if you have any concerns, but there is always the danger of falling onto the "worried well" category with these things! Ignorance can be a blessing sometimes.

YTD 60.38
  • Hey senidM - lovely to see you :smiley: I often thought of you, even when not posting through last year - whenever I used my Mizuno Wave Riders (if memory serves correctly - they're your running footwear of choice?). Great to see you're amassing a nice total already this year.

Thanks Cal and senidM for your thoughts on my HR question... I always use a HR chest strap - I have an old 920XT so it doesn't have an optical/wrist HR monitor and I've always found it very reliable. I'm not at all worried - more curious. I looked back and it wasn't the 35-miler that triggered the phenomenon but the first instance was a run on the day following a hill reps session... weirder and weirder! It just strikes me as odd that the highest HR achieved in a run happens within about 10 mins of setting off - even if I do strides to finish, they don't raise my HR as high as the "hump" at the start. Having said all that... it didn't happen in today's run - so, who knows!?

An easy 7.03 miles for me this evening. I've reached half way in the Run the Sum activity and I'm still on track. Today's 7-miler felt a lot easier than the previous 7-miler!

YTD: 81.58 miles
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Welcome senidM! I totally understand your comment about needing races. Unfortunately my first one of 2021, postponed from 2020 has been postponed again!

Little Nell I sometimes have a massive spike when I stop swimming, goes over 200 (when my HR is nowhere near), I think sometimes the monitors cannot cope with change. Might be a new battery might help?

Hobie I am assuming you are somewhere doing laps?!?!

Donnie I feel for you with the weather, I have managed one run outside in 2021 so far. 

YTD: 85.43
  • Welcome back, senidM - the lack of racing is certainly difficult. I've been amusing myself with my running club's hill challenge this month which has been a good motivator.

18 miles today - furthest this year, taking me to 136.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... you seem to have real Winter! On the south coast it is still technically winter, but without the snow and ice. We've had it frosty a few times but that usually clears up by mid-morning.
    Cal... Wow! 18 miles...that is serious distance! ...and Hills! Well done. (Not planning to pass you.)
    Hobie...Hope your challenge has gone well.
    Harmander...Trust that all is well with you...?

More January sunshine tempted me out for a 12 mile run this afternoon. The planned 'cut-back week' didn't happen, in fact it was another 51miles. Must do some shorter work next week. The run went very well, in fact the legs enjoyed a 9:09 on the penultimate mile. Finished with an o'all pace of 9:37/mile. (5:59/km) Happy.

YTD: 120' .
  • Same here, MrM2 - two 51 mile weeks in a row. Think I need to cut back too. Impressed by your pace there.
  • 11 mile today after work, along the coast to Pegwell Bay, dusk was falling and it was quite scenic.

YTD 63.8

Some fantastic milage here! If I can keep mine 25-30 miles a week  over three/four runs a week that's as much as I can hope for currently!  So some inspiring mileage.

• Great miles everyone, lots passing or getting close to the first 100.

Righty oh....run report...pull up a chair.

Saturday night resisted the temptation of wine with Carbonara (not easy).
    Woke up nice & early at 5 for a 6 o'clock start...Porridge & coffee done, peanut butter & jam sandwiches made.
    Lap 1 - Out in the dark for lovely, no traffic 44 minutes 4.2 miles.
    Lap 2 - 2 cars, finished as daybreak kicked in. 43 minutes 8.5 miles.
    Lap 3 - Pink sunrise & birdsong. 43 minutes 12.6 miles.
    Lap 4 - Sunny, quite a bit of traffic (for around here), 3 cyclists, 2 walkers 43 mins 16.8 miles.
    Lap 5 - Sunglasses on, lots of cyclists & runners 43 mins 21 miles.
    Lap 6 - More cyclists and runners out 42 mins 25.2 miles.
    Lap 7 - Change of top (bit smelly) Joined by friend from the village for a lap 43 mins 29.4 miles.
    Lap 8 - Starting to pinch a little. This is as far as I've ever run before. 43 mins 33.6 miles.
    Lap 9 - New territory, joined by my boy for a lap..really needed at this time so huge thanks to him. 44 mins 37.8 miles.
    Lap 10 - Resorted  to podcast (Rob D & P Tonkinson) to keep my company. 42 mins 42.0 miles.
    Lap 11 - Feeling the need to get it done now...45 mins 46.1 miles.
    Lap 12 - Final one...been a long time coming. Joined by the guy I sail with & his dog...52 mins 50.5 miles.

Body felt fine throughout, breathing and HR was all low and stable...I managed an average pace of 10:30 min miles (probably too fast) breaks felt a bit longer than needed so should have gone slower.

I'm not exactly skipping around this morning, but I did manage to get down the stairs this morning, so seems ok.

Big mental challenge but an amazing feeling that I now know that I can do it.

135 miles YTD
  • That is incredible Hobie, I'm training towards a solo big run (not that far at all!!) So find that really inspiring.
     Were you doing a lap per hour? Did you find it hard to get going again once you'd stopped? Did you have to keep moving a bit to not seize up? Did you find the breaks made a big difference? That's awesome!
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie: That's amazing. Thanks for posting, a genuinely interesting read. I salute you. 

Mr MM and TT: You both picked up on my comment about my local weather. I'm near Doncaster in South Yorkshire and being fair it's a bit of a mild micro climate. Slightly further east the weather is harsher as easterly winds can whip in across the east Yorkshire plain and any further west you're in the foot hills of the Pennines. The snow we had all day Thursday was very usual. 

Managed to get out Saturday and Sunday evenings, 5 mile loop on both occasions. 

YTD: 64.9
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hobie that is amazing and very inspiring. LTT 25-30 miles a week is good going, easily means you will do the 1000.

Donnie I think I know where you are, well the vague location and it is a little micro climate. Hopefully it clears up soon. Either that or you will be in a good training state for the Norway winter night marathon!

MrMr2 belated congratulations on the 100 🥳

Back on the treadmill again! 10.21 miles counting down every step.

YTD: 95.64
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    LTT, thanks, good luck with your run. Yeah I based it on The Backyard Ultra, 4.2 mile loop starting on the hour every hour...so the faster you go the more rest you get but more energy used so it's a balance...good fuelling is essential. My moving time was 8hrs 50mins and elapsed time was 11 hours 50mins (5,592 calories)...I stayed on my feet throughout...peanut butter with jam / banana...apple pies and a cup of tea every hour or so.
    It's was a bit of a training run, I want to do one for real and needed to know what was likely to happen, what I found is that I should knock back the pace a bit as 15 minutes is too long, started to tighten a bit towards lap 10...so next time I'd aim for 10 minute break.