A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Donnie, I attempted Boston (L) in '19, but hamstring stopped me at 22; I blamed the complete lack of any sort of incline, it is just sooo flat (and a bit boring) but hope for your sake it goes ahead.

I've got my sights set on a marathon at Halstead on 9th May as I have a rollover place from '20, but even if the official run can't take place I still intend to run it on my jack as it's my favourite mara and i know the course very well (who really needs another medal or T anyway)

YTD   111.11 (just posted for Nell as I know she likes these cosmic coincidences)

• Ooo - senidM... Yes! Love it :blush: I hope you're hopping until such time as your "score" changes!? :lol:

• Hello all (again) including the newcomers.

I can go up the 33 steps in my house in one go - funnily enough it takes longer to come down (yes I timed it) because of fear of cramp.

I am aiming to venture out next  week. for the first time.  Baby steps - hopefully attempt about 2 miles.

senidM - you got me confused with Boston (did in 2014) which for the most part was downhill and I did not even notice the Heartbreak Hill till I was told I had passed it. Then I re-read your Boston (up North) bit and it made sense.

Always loved Halstead - used to give the missus the interesting coloured T shirts so I could spot her from a mile off.

Cough getting much better.

Thank you all for the updates - keeping my motivation in getting better soon.
  • Pacing Little Nell, pacing
  • David, yes, the author has now approached me to ask if I would be interested in the film?

I said let me think carefully about it but a microsecond later said 'of course'.

Cal, I think you offered to be my agent - is that still on?

He offered me another part - one of a man who had been married for forty years but I said I wanted a speaking part.
  • Ha ha no, I'd make a terrible agent - I'm an introvert - you need an extrovert to promote you. I'm all "phones...ugh".  (And lol!)

A 7 miler today - legs felt just as heavy as yesterday. I don't get it - I didn't do a long run on Sunday. Shouldn't they be feeling fresh and bouncy?

YTD: 180
  • Very good Harmander, did they offer you a comedy slot as well?

Next time I see you I must remember to get a few signed photo's, as it won't be long before you no longer want to be seen with pheasants like us  :D

Out again this morning - still cold.

3.25 + 4

YTD = 130.75
  • Great to hear you're feeling a bit better Harmander, movie role sounds exciting.
    Cal, was almost catching you...very briefly.😆
    A couple of nice evening runs, moonlit and lovely the other day and damp with an unplanned detour to the bog...could have done without that...some very fine clenching saved the day.😊
    173 miles YTD 
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Wotcha peeps!

Hope your mara does go ahead as an actual race, senidM - but nice to have something to aim for, be it a solo run or an organised race.

Great to hear of your progress, Harmander :smile: You're not wrong about pacing - I was so tired today and my run was really tough.

Well done on getting your run done despite the heavy legs, Cal... I know EXACTLY how you feel! :neutral:

Great work David - always impressed by your "daily doubles".

Uuurgghh - glad you've, apparently, got strong glutes Hobie! :lol: Moonlit runs sounds lovely - and an excellent total amassing for you too.

As billed... a slow and tired 8.05 miles for me. I ran too late and could definitely tell I'd run a bit too fast yesterday. Can't decide whether to do all of tomorrow's 9-miler in one go or in two bites of the cherry (following David's example).

YTD: 144.81 miles.

• Racing your bowels is always risky, Hobie...Glad you made it to safety in time!
    Hope you feel more sprightly today, Nell.
    I felt a bit better today so I was able to knock out a hilly 15 miler, albeit at a slow pace. Chest felt tight yesterday so I took the hills at "just get up it" pace rather than trying to sprint. Quite pleased anyway. Rest day tomorrow if any of you folks are hoping to beat me to 200.

YTD: 195
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Wow fabulous running everyone! Little Nell very impressed you are nearly at the end, what are you aiming to do in February?

Harmander amazing, I will look forward to seeing the film. David agree, we need those photos! SenidM interesting your comment about Boston (L), I was going to do it last year, then something happened, hum, wonder what that was 🤔 Donnie I think given the Boston course it has more chance than most of going ahead. I think it will depend on whether we can travel.

Had four days off, no reason just didn't feel like running. Outside this morning, lovely, cold but considerably warmer than it has been.

Tri club coach challenged us all to BRED in Feb! Run or bike every day........

YTD: 120.25
  • Reassuringly worry free 6 miles today in work...Last night might have been down to the uncooked brownie mix or 3 day old Pizza.  :D

Great miles everyone.

178 miles YTD
  • Oops, just added up all my runs this year and I'm actually on 194. My bad.
    YTD: 194
  • I seem to have entered a (from home) 4x4x48...weekend after next.
  • I'm training for first Ultra so would like to jump in to this challenge prior to end of January, helps with accountability etc  :smiley:
    Ytd- 91 miles
  • Welcome JF83, congrats on going for your first mobile buffet...sorry, I mean Ultea...how far are you going?
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Can hardly take in all that is happening this January! (Thought that we were restricted to one, outdoor activity?) 
    However, it's great to see so many challenges, double days and plans for future events.
    Welcome to JF83... What runs, distances, events have you done? Will Ultras be your main focus?
    Welcome razdaz... Glad that can get outside to enjoy some regular runs. How have you managed two jabs?
    DavidC... Good to see you keeping it rolling (including some doubles) and planning for a Feb. RtS. 
    Donnie2... You were so close to crossing the 100' line at the end of your last run!
    Harmander... Good to hear you sounding positive about the prospects of a little run next week!
    Cal... Another hilly 15! Well done, and I think you'll be on your own for a while, over the 200'!
    Hobie...Going great with your tally. Will you use your 4.2' circuit for your 4-4-48?  Hope the weather's kind.
    Little Nell... Thanks. You are going well!

Another couple of rest days. Have had the 'aches and shakes' since my jab. Still can't fully, and comfortably extend my left arm (jab arm). My wife hasn't felt a thing from her jab! However, was feeling good enough for a gentle run this afternoon. 9 miles, mainly along the seafront. There were police and a response team at Boscombe Pier, and on the way home I noticed a couple of search and rescue boats checking along the coast line just a few metres out. Must check the local news.

YTD: 173' .
  • Ahoy-hoy all!

Great to hear you're back on form Cal... 15 hilly miles is top work!

Thanks TT - not sure about Feb. yet but I'm considering joining David in doing RtS again but the "classic" version in km and aim for efficiency, where you aim to get as close to the target distance as possible. I need a lighter volume of running for a bit but still need to hit 10K steps a day. Well done on your outdoor running - and good luck with BRED in Feb.

Haha Hobie - glad it wasn't an illness playing havoc with your insides... but you can't beat old pizza! :lol: The 4 x 4 x 48 sounds interesting - you're really piling the miles on your legs early doors this year. Good luck!

Welcome JF83! Nice to have you on board. As Hobie says - interested to hear what distance you're planning to tackle? Have you run long before... marathons, etc? :smile:

Sorry to hear your jab left you a bit under the weather, MrM2, but very good that you managed 9 miles nevertheless. Sounded rather eventful - hope it was nothing too serious happening!

After yesterday's tough run, I was unsure whether or not to do 9 miles or drop back to 9 km today, but, similar to Cal, I felt better than expected once I started running and happily ran a very easy 9.22 miles. I found this the last time I did RtS - where I had one or two days of really difficult running but it was typically not the longest day(s).

YTD: 154.03 miles.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    SenidM: I think you're right about Boston (L) marathon, I get the impression they'll do everything possible to get the event on. I've checked the site for Halsted, looks like it's already gone.

5 to add making 103.9
  • Nice work passing 100 Donnie, hopefully your marathon goes ahead...I've got a feeling it'll be hard to get mass events going ahead but we live in hope.

Yeah MrM2, I'm using the same 4.2 mile loop from home for the 4x4x48...joy of living out in the wilds is that I'll probably meet only a couple of people on that route during the whole time I'm out.

Easy 5 miles today. 

185 miles YTD
  • Afternoon all,

Cal, Nice hilly 15 miler, very nearly at the 200 mile mark, excellent work.

JF83, Welcome to our thread, we are all very friendly, good luck with the Ultra.

Donnie, Well done on passing the 1st 100 miles.

MrM2, Hope the aches and shakes have now passed, I had a trip to the dentist last week and the staff had their jabs the night before, it seemed a lot of them were complaining of sore arms from the chatter I could hear.

Hobbie, The 4x4x48 sounds right up my street, might have to give it a go one day, I look forward to reading how you get on, I am guessing the interrupted sleep is going to be the worst part.

Nell, Nearly there now, excellent work. I am only doing a number of doubles as I am also completing a virtual ultra which needs to be finished by Sunday, as usual I have left it a bit late.

So the last few outings haven't been cold just very wet!

27.01 - 3.25
    28.01 - 3.25 + 5

YTD = 142.25
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Hobie%201495" class="js-userCard" data-userid="826272">Hobie 1495</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Welcome <b>JF83</b>, congrats on going for your first mobile buffet...sorry, I mean Ultea...how far are you going?

Thanks, starting off with a 50k, see how that goes before deciding to try further or not, I'm on a waiting list for an event near me which is in March but if it falls to COVID I'll be doing it myself anyway, not been past marathon  distance before but I find myself getting stronger the further I go generally. Dont know if Ultras will become my main focus but I'd like to give it a go and find out.</div></blockquote>
  • Thanks for all the welcoming comments.
    I'm planning a 50k although following a 50 mile program, in week 5 and all good so far. The thinking is if I follow 50 mile plan but then "only" do 50k I will find it easier 😐
    Problem I have is not being able to run slow enough in training, suspect I won't  find that an issue when I hit a certain distance in the 50k
  • JF83, Ah 50k....sprint distance.🤪
    Usual Ultra tips...
    Start slow & plan to go slower.
    If it looks like a hill, feel free to walk.
    Eat...as you go & before you feel hungry.
    Weird things can happen after marathon distance...enjoy the adventure.
    Practice with whatever kit and fuel you're using.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Feeling guilty about running too many flat miles...what with Hobie living on a ski slope and Cal romping through hilly 15s!  So went out intending to run up and down some of the chines over a 12 or 15 mile outing.
    Found the moderate SW'ly wind enough of a challenge for the first 6 miles so reduced the number of climbs and settled for 11'. 'could do better....

YTD: 184' .
  • Made me so inspired reading everyone's milestones - congrats and thanks for the good wishes to all.
    MrM2, in preparation for next week, after I manged to put the bins out today (I couldn't last week), I found a piece of wood about six inches long, four inches high and 2 inches thick - I placed it in the middle of the room, did some stretching and walked around the wood twice before sitting down for a rest having achieved what I would say is a distance of twice around the block.

No seriously, I walked slowly up till the end of my road and back home along a parallel road - a distance of about 2.15km - it took me 33 minutes and 16 seconds - I used to do this in about 11 minutes when running. At least it is a start.  Hope to repeat this regularly until I get down to say 21 or 22 minutes before I actually try running. I am determined to beat this COVID but will be sensible.

JF83, you are being given excellent advice for your ultra by others on this Forum.

If you say you cannot run slower, try to aim for a sensible target time and run at an even pace throughout - practice at the even pace in training - energy intake is essential but mix it with sugar and salt nibbles.  Fluids are sooo important too.

Works for me.

Good luck

Our club's planned Dawn To Dusk Sunlight Ultra scheduled for 27 February with a back up date of 11 or 18 April due to COVID is being reviewed due to recent lockdown announcements - we are likely to go for 21 June (Midsummers Day) but do it as a Dolly Parton Nine To Five Challenge.

Anyone already registered will have their enties automatically transferred to June event or the usual 13December race.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Welcome JF83, Hobie has some good ideas there. MrMr2 nothing wrong with running on the flat! Hobie I'll go with the uncooked brownie, three day old pizza should be okay????

Hobie what does 4*4*48 mean?? David your mileage is building up well. Donnie when is Boston UK?

Anyone have a bib for the six majors in Autumn? Chicago and Boston in two days anyone? 

Cold and very wet this afternoon, but outside for a run.

YTD: 127
  • TT, it's 4 miles once every 4 hours for 48 hours...so 48 miles in total over 2 days...very easy pace and some time to do family stuff in between, eat and rest...also good mental challenge to get up and run at silly o'clock. Will be avoiding uncooked brownies, could get very messy.
  • Hoping to do my first ultra this year too, JF83...should have been last year but the two I entered were cancelled, like most other things. Like you I intend to start with a 50K.

TT, there's a woman in one of my Facebook groups who has those two and Tokyo. She's pretty quick but I don't think she's going to manage to do them at her usual race pace, somehow.

Hobie, good luck with that. Food strategy will be critical, I think.

Harmander...is that walking the plank? Sounds like a little progress anyway. You're a tough fella so you'll get through this.

Well done everyone else.

9 miles today broken into three runs with a short rest between each: a warm-up with a hill; a 5K around an undulating road loop (I was aiming for Kenyan hills but failed to keep the same pace up the hill so never mind...did this in 27:59) and then the run home which was a mix of recovery with bursts of speed.

A little discomfort high up in the old achilles so going to have to watch that. I have been running a lot more hills lately due to this challenge, so will drop the mountaineering for a bit once the challenge ends on Feb 3rd. 

YTD: 203