Saturday 23rd January 2021 In this world where we live

Morning!

Lyrics: In this world where we live
There should be more happiness

Yesterday's lyrics were "Keep the home fires burning", a First World War song by Ivor Novello.

What: a run at some point

Why: not sure when as currently there is icy rain. Could do with some sunshine!

Plus stretches. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

A light dusting of snow here alehouse with heavy snow forecast and warnings if ice. I will walk with Mark and Lola this morning then decide whether to keep going or have an easier day. 
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Cold despite the new heating! Thin dusting of snow but I suspect not enough to make for interesting running.
    Need to get going and see.  Feeling the need of some running company but not sure that anyone is free. Really should order some new trail shoes too, mine now have big holes, but only about 3 months old!
  • Morning again! 

Run delayed: heavy snow! Looks set in.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Must be bad Ale! Just been out for 10m mainly on trails, actually quite good underfoot, the bit that is usually ankle deep in mud still so but the rest was quite pleasant, not windy though and a bit of sun.
    Hope everyone else gets a weather window.
    sitting down with a hot choc and thinking about new trail shoes!
    Lyrics, think so!

• Treat yourself Els - you're putting in the miles.

I'm doing experimental one and a bit handed baking.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Afternoon!

And then the snow suddenly stopped and the sun came out...as did the slush! If it freezes tonight as forecast it will be lethal tomorrow. 

Enjoy the baking, LMH! I made your/AB's flapjack yesterday although I  substituted golden syrup for honey. I think you would be pleased with the result! Might reduce the sugar slightly next time. Thanks!

Definitely treat yourself, probably to two pairs, Els! One pair on and one pair drying!

What: just over 40 minutes, with more road than usual due to diversions, but still around half was trail. 

Why: opportunity knocked. Decent stretch as well. 
  • Nice to get out in the sun alehouse - I hope conditions aren't bad tomorrow. I reduced the sugar to 50g, have to be careful though as Mark has a sweeter tooth than me. I used that as a base mix today without the cherries and almonds and with peanut butter instead of almond and did half as a PB and jam flapjack and half as a Snickers flapjack with salted caramel spread and chocolate on top - to be taste tested later.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Sorry I've been Mia. Busy week and not much running

However, some local runners set up an adventure race today. 10 checkpoints, a 2 hour time limit and penalties for coming back after 2 hours. It's running all week so you just go out and do it when you can. I've been feeling really down this week, and this was just what I needed. 

So set off at just after 8 from the start point. The roads and pavements were lethal, so just took it very slowly. Managed 9/10 checkpoints. 10 miles in total. Very very muddy and wet in places but so much fun. I know I'm only meant to be running 10 km, but I just needed that . Had to climb over a gate as it was frozen shut!

Photos below!

Hope everyone's getting on ok. Sounds like your heating is fixed oh and els. Glad to hear that!

Been making a sour dough starter all week lmh. Baked it this morning. Was yummy.

• Sorry to hear that you've had a bad week emzap but good that the run helped.
  • Oops, missed yesterday after a long day busy with work.

Glad the event made you feel better, em. Great pics :+1:

Yay to heating els and OH, even though it's temporary fix.

What did you bake, LMH? I always reduce the sugar by at least half, sometimes even two thirds.
    My shoe comes off on Feb. 15. Took the plaster off today and saw the scar for the first time 🤢. Still a bit of swelling and discolouration but quite similar to what the other side looked like.

Hazel: I think it's a good idea to cut the LT runs into segments. I quite liked that approach in the P&L plans. If I paced myself well (i.e. very rarely) I would do it in one go. But it was good to have the option of a breather in there. The P&D LT runs would frustrate me if I screwed up and had to cut them short.

Ale: sounds like an enjoyable run in the sun.

Had to finish some work stuff today and just did my core routine. Bought a Bosu ball (well a cheapo copy from China)  so I can do more balancing stuff, especially in a few weeks when I have to retrain my foot muscles.
  • Baking as in my last post chicksta. I still have swelling and bruising from 29th December!
  • Duh. Should have gone specsavers :D
  • Evening.

Hmm - advanced flapjacks, didn't bake anything today and the biscuit tin looks distressingly empty of nice goodies. A lot of the commercial stuff seems very sweet, over the years I'm loosing my sweet tooth a bit, is it a getting older thing?

Nice swamping around in the mud Els and emzap, the pics made me laugh.

Glad the run made you feel better emzap.

Good you could get out despite the snow Ale.

Should use the balancing ball more too for the dodgy knee Chicksta, the tom cat humps it every now and then but otherwise it tends to collect dust under my desk.

What: comfy 6 mile trot with a guy from my running group. I'm not great at casual small talk but we always find something to talk about so I enjoy the rare company these days
    Why: easy Saturday
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics: no
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Emz - looks great fun today!
    Ale, Els, Hazel - good to see you got the runs in

What - 8m steady trails
    Why - getting wet and muddy
    last rest - 10/10
    last hard - Thursday 
    lyric - think so
  • Oops haven’t posted for 2 days. Shame as I knew both lyrics but not today’s.
    Have been busy trying to put house back in some sort of order.
    managed a short run and swim on Friday and a short run again today.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Evening!

Pretty sure everyone knows these lyrics. Lines 3 and 4. Otherwise too obvious!

Looks like fun, Emz! Hope those are waterproof socks! 

I look forward to being able to trot with someone, Hazel!

Bosu ball sounds a good idea, Chick.

Sunshine didn't even last as long as my run. Hope for more tomorrow.

• Oh the e-LfH online learning is invalid for Scotland so will need to start again albeit the abbreviated version for experienced vaccinators.

• From run this afternoon
  • Easy to be wise having Googled lyrics! 
  • That sounds a pain re the online learning OH! Great photo! What is the green "jewel"?!