AN UPDATE FROM RUNNER’S WORLD


From 15 June 2024, the Runner’s World forum will hang up its running shoes for the final time.


While we are saying goodbye to the forum, you can continue to enjoy Runner’s World through our various platforms, each offering a different way to stay connected:


Sign up to the RW newsletter: Read about the latest running trends, gear reviews, expert advice and inspirational stories, delivered straight to your inbox. 


Visit runnersworld.com/uk: With everything from long reads and training articles to plans and nutrition tips, the content you trust is just a click away. 


Become a subscriber: Get the print magazine for the best in-depth features, expert advice, stunning photography and exclusive content tailored for every level of runner.


Follow us on social media: Follow @RunnersWorldUK on X, Facebook and Instagram for your daily dose of advice, motivation and fun. Keep on running…


The Runner's World team

Options

I'm due to join the Royal Marines soon and I could use some advice from the pros

It's about me legs as you would have guessed and happens when running.

Symptoms: Tightness concentrated around lower front of shin and redness in roughly the same area, sometimes followed later by sharp pains I feel on my tendons and ligaments in the calf muscle should I continue to run, at which point I decide it best to stop. The tightness, to elaborate, gets to the point where I can no longer lift my foot up from the ankle. Once I've stopped running, I recover in roughly five to ten minutes.

I have tried going a month with very little to no running which didn't do much (didn't get worse, didn't get better). I've started cold ice baths now after exercise (will probably do even on rest days) but not sure what else to do besides the usual suspects - stretches and light conditioning. I'm honestly considering acupuncture so if you have experience here do let me know.

Important note, this tightness (and sometimes pain) only happens if I'm doing a "middle distance" run (i.e. one to three miles) and not during sprints strangely enough (maybe if I did them longer than half an hour something would happen) or even during a hike (even with weight).

I've got a couple ideas of what it could be of course but on the off chance one of you can enlighten me either on what I have or great recovery methods, I'm all ears. Just no "Go see the GP bro." OK? It's on the table but I'm here for different if unorthodox pointers and wisdom. Thanks for reading.

Comments

  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Skip the GP but you need to consult a physio, can be done online
  • Options
    Yes to physio. They will help you, good luck. Also benefit you massively, if you don't already, to schedule in strength and conditioning exercises specific to running injury prevention. Can find what you need from any recent books and online. Good luck 
  • Options
    > @SHADES said:
    > Skip the GP but you need to consult a physio, can be done online

    > @MrsShoeHoarder said:
    > Yes to physio. They will help you, good luck. Also benefit you massively, if you don't already, to schedule in strength and conditioning exercises specific to running injury prevention. Can find what you need from any recent books and online. Good luck 

    Thanks to the pair of you. I'll see about consulting a physiotherapist but skip the GP all together? Not sure, if anything a GP could refer me to physio and I could get it for free.
  • Options
    > Thanks to the pair of you. I'll see about consulting a physiotherapist but skip the GP all together? Not sure, if anything a GP could refer me to physio and I could get it for free.

    I say free, but you know what I mean. Taxed socialised healthcare in the UK.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Redmotive - try contacting your GP's surgery. Some will let you self refer to an NHS physio which will be free.   Worth a try before considering private physio.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    If you Google NHS physio there is a list of places where you can self refer. However you might find that NHS physio is all online at the moment, where as nearly all private ones are open and F2F, depends what you want. 

    I have had experience of both, I would say most NHS physios are not trained to deal with specific sports injuries, they deal, and quite rightly so in my opinion, mainly with people who have life changing injuries. A private physio might be more specialised. For example mine is a specialist in sports and also a runner! 
  • Options
    > @TT said:
    > If you Google NHS physio there is a list of places where you can self refer. However you might find that NHS physio is all online at the moment, where as nearly all private ones are open and F2F, depends what you want. 
    >
    > I have had experience of both, I would say most NHS physios are not trained to deal with specific sports injuries, they deal, and quite rightly so in my opinion, mainly with people who have life changing injuries. A private physio might be more specialised. For example mine is a specialist in sports and also a runner! 

    Definitely want a face to face specialist then. NHS is often slow in my experience too, with exceptions. How much am I looking at do you reckon for say a month or two? Furthermore, do you have any recommendations? I'm in Scotland at the moment if you know any around here.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    redmotive - some physios aren't doing face to face.   I would guess you're looking at about £45ish per appointment.   If you're going private recommendation is best from other runners, do you or your family know any other runners locally that might advise on best local physio.

    Why not try and book NHS now and if that doesn't work out go private.   Just see how the initial appointment goes, even if you have to do it online.     

    I once went to an NHS physio that was ten times better than the private one I'd been seeing for weeks.   The NHS guy was the only one to correctly diagnose my injury and enable me to complete my 2nd marathon.
  • Options
    > @SHADES said:
    > redmotive - some physios aren't doing face to face.   I would guess you're looking at about £45ish per appointment.   If you're going private recommendation is best from other runners, do you or your family know any other runners locally that might advise on best local physio.
    >
    > Why not try and book NHS now and if that doesn't work out go private.   Just see how the initial appointment goes, even if you have to do it online.     
    >
    > I once went to an NHS physio that was ten times better than the private one I'd been seeing for weeks.   The NHS guy was the only one to correctly diagnose my injury and enable me to complete my 2nd marathon.

    Will contact the GP then, thanks a lot.
Sign In or Register to comment.