Comrades 2022

Comments

• Bike It, my symapthies. How frustrating. Here's hoping for improvement soon.
    Great going, lowrez.

• A huge good luck to SD who is doing the Tour des Geants in Italy starting Sunday. He has 150 hours to complete the race which is 330km. Madness! We'll be thinking of you.
  • Best of luck SD - have a great race!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Blimey, he is truly a super-human he only did the 170km Ultra Tour Monte Rosa last week! Must've been a training run :D Good luck SD!
  • Anyone know how to track TdG, would like to do some dot watching!

• Short notice - but does anyone want a free place in Chester marathon on 3rd October? I'm fairly sure transfers are allowed..... I meant to offer it much earlier but forgot about it :-(
  • I think you also might be able to virtualize it McH, I've just done that with the half this coming Sunday. I'm doing London on 3rd... hmm I could take it off you, swap to the virtual and run two marathons concurrently 🤯
  • McHilly, I was trying to find a live track too and finally got to this page:
    VDATrailers Live Map (100x100trail.com)
    It won't show SD if you search by name, but it will with his bib number, which is 529. He's in a big group climbing up to Col Entrelor, so he looks to be moving well so far. 
    1owrez, is there a record for the most marathons run simultaneously that you could go for? Never mind 7 in 7, how about 7 in 1!
  • Thanks for the link Baldstan
  • Greetings from The Lake District :) Behind this gate lies the finish of the 40 mile Keswick to Barrow

Support team 1 and myself are currently camped out at Upper Base Camp in Penrith whilst Support Team A (Southern Snail) and runners Becca7, Debra Bourne, JAR and Peter R, have established a stronghold at Base Camp Lower in Barrow. Tomorrow morning we both set out across separate colls to the starting gate in Keswick which opens at 6:15am whereupon the team will commence the assault on the 40 mile route to the gate above. Behind it lay our medals, T-shirts and 2 free beers :D

Between us we have gathered over £500 for local charities supporting brain injured people, horse rides for handicapped children and The National Trust. We're hoping to gather after the finish tomorrow for much merriment and debauchery :D 
  • Is that Duck bloke still out running over the hills and far away :D 
  • Stan I can report that McH has indeed transferred Chester "real" to me and I have converted it to the virtual! So 2 in 1 is now a reality :D if I survive tomorrow I will look to extend the total :D By the way, this is tomorrow's kit for me

But I have enhanced it with white shorts and knee length compression socks, hoping my extensive half marathon testing will fend off chafing until the 40 are done :D 
  • This adventure slipped to the back of my mind since you advertised it back in July Lowrez, my health continues to be far from ideal so not much running stuff these days. Nice to see small group of runners up there in the Lakes, I’d love to have been there probably could have done a small section or slow further. Just read back through to see if I’d missed any further updates on it, guess from group established was separate, otherwise if I missed something sorry for going awol. Really hope you all have a great time, will look out for updates! 
    Go well team 
  • Sorry you continue to be under the weather Mark. I simply drew in definites from this based on the original ask. It is not actually a run. It's a sponsored walk that some mad buggers run. Support points are circa 10 miles apart and have water and not much else. You have to put in your own support teams or run self sufficient. There are no drop out buses, although someone in trouble is obviously not going to be abandoned... it would be down to one of your support vehicles acting as "ambulance" but of course they would not be able to abandon their main role as support for the in-play remaining runners immediately to pick up a drop-out; you'd probably be out there for a while awaiting a pick-up... Long winded way of trying to settle your mind into feeling remaining at home would be the best option in your circumstances... I take it you haven't participated in The Norfolk Borders which you said was your regular event for this weekend?

Hope you return to full fitness quickly.

Thanks for the best wishes, further reports will be made post run, possibly the day after through hangovers :D 
  • Hope the hangovers are fine and there was no chafing along the way. Look forward to reading the run report. And congratulations to SD too. Finished on Saturday lunchtime after 146 hours and 1 minute (if I'm reading the results correctly). I bet there was very little sleep in those 146 hours either. Incredible. Hope your recovery continues Mark, your last parkrun looked not too bad (as in faster than I've ever been!). 
  • Well done to all the K2B runners on Saturday. Great to see you all

SD - massive congratulations on your endeavours in Italy. Tour des Geants finished with plenty of time to spare.... but seriously..snakes and air ambulances? You're getting as dramatic as Lowrez  ;) Hope you recover well
  • Adder boy Slow Duck!
  • Thank you everyone. I’m afraid it was a very undignified finish having collapsed in the last 500m from the effects of the snake bite suffered at 2km to go. Lips, tongue and face were bloated, I was helped over the line by two race volunteers. Into an ambulance straight after the finish, transferred to a helicopter ambulance and off to Aosta hospital where I spent the next 30 hrs.

I’ve spent the whole day sorting out changes to my trip back but should be back in the UK on Wednesday.
  • Blimey SD, that sounds terrible, apologies for the pun, you were in serious trouble there! Did they identify the culprit? 
  • Good grief, SD - you don't do things by halves, do you? Very glad you're here to talk about it okay. And congrats for finishing.
  • Realise you've been through a major trauma SD and must still be in the thick of the aftermath. Wishing you the swiftest of complete recoveries. If there are film rights under discussion for the epic film release we understand the tale will stay under wraps until we rack up at the cinema; hope David Lean is attached to direct. But if not, we are agog to understand the finest details of this drama!
  • Once I get home I’m planning to write it all up. Until 2km to go I thought my major story was someone (mistakenly?) taking my trekking poles at one of the mountain refuges...
  • Looking forward to that immensely :) Hmm... poles and snakes... you sure you weren't running Comrades?

• SD that's some story, congrats on finishing in the circumstances and hope you recover well and that there is no permanent damage.  snake bites can damage tissue etc!!

On another note did anyone see that the guy in SA who tried to do comrades last time with the one leg and crutches passed away yesterday.  I saw him en route but I think he didn't finish and wasn't an official entrant .. but gave it ago anyway.  
  • SD - congratulations again. What a story. Hope you recover well. Looking forward to the race report.
  • Hi Folks, Its The Captain here again. After loving the K2B to pieces we are all shouting "again, again, again". So do you fancy running 40 miles through The Lake District, on mostly road on Saturday 7th May next year; last long run prior to Comrades (if it takes place, and a very nice substitute if it does not)

Ton of information on the website: https://keswick2barrow.co.uk/

If you would like to join the team just let me know (you can't enter this as an individual). Here are some details of what I am on about...

It's on Saturday 7th May.
    Its 40 miles mostly on road, very hilly in places, a good Comrades training run.
    A team can contain up to 12 runners, and, if 10 complete we would be up for team prizes such as the accolades for fastest team finish etc
    Rolling start from Keswick from between 05:15 and 06:30 - simply turn up and  follow instructions from marshals.
    Your start and checkpoint and finish times are recorded using a timing tag on a lanyard best popped around your neck.
    This is really a "walk"; there are no running numbers to pin on, your lanyard is your identity, of course many mad buggers do run this
    At every checkpoint there will be citric cordial drink or water.
    A roadside café at Coniston village will serve free hot food and sandwiches.

Registration costs £20. This is a charity event and by entering (and therefore accepting the T&C) you also commit to collect at least £80 for charities (I look upon this as a £100 entry fee and simply donate £80 on my personal charity page - everyone gets one).
    Last time we did this our charities were:-
    Headway South Cumbria
    A branch of Headway covering South Cumbria. Working to improve life after brain injury by providing information, support, events, activities and opportunities locally. The aim is to work together with people affected by an acquired brain injury so they can move forward and make progress. We currently support over 80 people who live between Barrow and Shap. Many are unable to drive because of their injuries, and few currently are able to return to work. As a small group we seek help and support from the community.
    Furness Group Riding for the Disabled
    Providing horse-riding opportunities to disabled children in the Furness area. Based at Seaview Riding School on Walney Island, Barrow-in-Furness offering riding to 18 children each Wednesday morning from 2 special schools and 4 mainstream schools during school term time (24 sessions per annum). Also offering riding to an additional 18 children on a Thursday evening when they come along with their parents/guardians. Also taking 5 riders from either George Hastwell or Sandside Special Schools each year to the Clwyd Special Riding Centre in Northern Wales for a 5 day holiday.
    Cumbria Wildlife Trust
    Recognised for conservation work which has safeguarded 44 spectacular nature reserves in the county and restored hundreds of sites of different habitats, often in partnership with others. Passionate about sharing our knowledge and skills with young people and inspiring them to be the future of conservation. We were established in 1962 and have a long, successful, conservation track record..

Many other practicalities to consider but I will leave it at that for now. Ask anything you like and your captain will answer

• You will have to put up with some crazy captain antics though... rumour has it that C3 P0 is running it on May 7th.

• I'm tempted... Pencils in May 7th...
  • Glad to see you're already contemplating more races SD. Hope you're fully recovered. After the close encounter with the bear at Western States and the even closer one with the snake, I'm hoping the Lake District can't hold any horrors. I'm tempted too 1owrez. Never been to the Lakes...