Comrades 2022

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Mr D, don't go making us worry now, you have misquoted a load of bloodclotollocks! No country has banned the Oxford vaccine, some countries have been extra cautious in pausing roll-outs temporarily after some fake news reporting. Statistically speaking there is no significance to what has been reported. A certain number of people pop their clogs every day from blood clotting, so there are bound to be some who just had the vaccine. One case lumped into the stats by the fake newsers happened 10 days after the vaccine was administered! The WHO says it's a non-story.
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Mc Hilly: Thanks! Hope you enjoy your HM. Mine will be a training run/virtual SVN Flamingo Run, which I would have done a couple of weeks ago if it hadn't been cancelled. No time goal - just get the miles onto my legs to build confidence 'cos it's only 4 weeks to SDW50. Unfortunately looks like it's going to be windy, but I just need to get out there and do it anyway.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think its a 50-50 chance right now of being given Pfizer or Oxford in the UK - we ordered 40 million Pfizer and 100 million Oxford. The Pfizer batches are all on distribution but we don't have the total Oxford commitment on tap yet, it is expected to be in the tens of millions by end of March though. I don't know what they'll bung in my arm until I turn up on Thursday. I'll be happy with either.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hope you get good weather for the 50 Debra :)
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    @lowrez - South Africa has stopped and won't allow Astrozenica use.   They have over a million doses that will expire soon - yet they will not use them.   This is absurd in my opinion, but it is the case.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think it's interpreting whether you'd call that a "ban" or a "pause" Dannirr? I'm not sure if every country is following the frail, vulnerable, at risk, oldest first roll out like the UK is, but, guess who are the highest risk group of keeling over from thrombosis too? Likely these innoculations will start being blamed for an increase in dementia, incontinence, heart failure, you name it, whatever the demographic was already suffering from or highly likely to pop their clogs from, what caused it? The vaccine of course!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Before I had the vaccine I used to be able to get up at 7am and hold down agreat 9 to 5 job, but now, I can't get out of bed till 11am and I've become dependent on weed, 40 year old blended scotch whisky, cocaine and hookers. I'll need the government to pay out for this devastating change in my lifestyle for the rest of my life, they made me take the vaccine and ruined my life and it is they that will have to pay!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Did you hear that??? It was an owl hooting in the middle of the night!!! That never used to happen before I had the vaccine!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Yes, go Debra for today. It's been very windy here in South London so I hope you've got it behind you, and you're not caught in the hail which has just started outside! Also, if it's any consolation, it's still five weeks to SDW50 as Centurion pushed it back to 17th April because the track for the finish wasn't going to be open on the 10th. At least I hope it's due to be the 17th now as I've just rearranged the plans I had for that weekend so I'm free to run on the new date.
    And go McHilly too. A 2023 Tokyo Marathon place seems a good incentive.
    1owrez, I'd be very happy if I can hear owls hooting in the night after the vaccine, perhaps they'll drown out the foxes' screeching.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That's the sound of your neighbors dying from thromboses Stan.
    Go McHilly!
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hope Debra’s run went well. Windy here but blew me along at times :-) Time doesn’t matter for my Tokyo event, if you finish you go into a draw for 100  guaranteed places (not free), so far about 1600 people completed, tomorrow is the last day so I expect numbers will increase significantly but odds much better than the standard draw!! ( I do already have a place for 2022... but who knows how easy travel will be so would be great to have more options). Considered my half today as first step of a marathon training plan for Boston (U.K.) at end of May..... which hopefully will I can use as a qualifier for Comrades 2022 !
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well done McH!
    Not sure about your aspirations for Boston (May this year?) to provide you with a Comrades 2022 qualifier? I'd expect the qualification period for 2022 to open end of August this year, as has been usual in previous years.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I’ll just have to see how things go! If I go back to China mid year I don’t know how many official marathon events they have, or how easy travel would be to other places.... so having something is better than nothing if I need to negotiate/beg :-) 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hopefully they'll be flexible :) Alternatively I could put a skirt on and run in your name in the Liverpool RocknRoll, in October; who would you like to be? I've got a Katy Perry costume, but I'm sure I could emulate your preferred artiste :)
  • Completed 31.5 miles today in 6:26:36, so not a great time, but I was tired. It was blustery and there was hail mixed with the rain during some of the showers, and still quite a lot of mud underfoot. I first headed north into London, over Crystal Palace Hill and down into Herne Hill, ran round Brockwell Park, then headed home with a circuit of Dulwich Park (I've never run in there before). Got home and changed to trail shoes, headed back out on my 'standard' trails.
    Mc Hilly: glad you did your HM okay.
  • A year... it was 14th March 2020 that Lloyd parkrun was last held - and I wasn't there because I was away running the CTS Sussex Ultra. That was my last in-person race for 5 months.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You might have to page down a bit to find batman but it was indeed a year ago that he last donned a suit and ran amongst mere mortals

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    "So, Mr Comish, how do you feel about the comments you made a year ago about Coronavirus when (amazing to think now) only 1,140 people had tested positive?" 1owrez, I'm glad none of my thoughts at the time were recorded for posterity.
    Debra, just looked and I was doing the course check at Tooting Common parkrun a year ago today (I think it was our second or third run back after having to cancel due to flooding). To think the mud seemed a bigger threat to parkrun than anything else!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Yeah Mr Comish! Stop hiding behind your mask and tell us what you think :D Bet he was glad he had his mask on that day Stan! I entered at the last minute because the Barcelona marathon I was meant to be running that weekend got cancelled. In a bizarre batty coincidence, only a few days earlier, 3,000 potentially covid toting Spaniards dropped in to the city. I see this half along with that Liverpool-Madrid match could be investigated...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-half-marathon-could-part-18169782

If you have access to facebook a lively debate took place ensuing the half.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    What are these vaccines of which you speak? Why so many doses? Are you vaccinating the whole population or something? 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Absolutely everyone Bike It, I go for my first dose of clotting agent tomorrow afternoon; I'll let you know which brand I got in my obituary.
    Are SA not going for a total populous wipe-out?
    We're doing the most vulnerable first as a depopulation approach, get rid of the ones placing the highest current burden on society first.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Your post above Lowrez reminds me that this time last year, I decided to go for a weekend in Barcelona despite the marathon having been cancelled! And that weekend Barcelona went into lockdown! So have now had the pleasure of Shanghai, Barcelona and uk as the entered lockdown (uk lockdowns definitely the most lax!). I also have my vaccine tomorrow, am excited about both having a day out and a reason to go out!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I remember that we'll McH, it seemed that whichever way you turned there were bars on your accommodation windows! How did that work out in Barcelona... Your flights out of Barcelona were cancelled weren't they? Did you have to pay again to get home?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the jabbing tomorrow, when do you get puncture the seconding? Mine's June 7th, if I survive that long.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine went to the website to book being stabbed and he decided they were all too far away so he's left it "until his local surgery get in touch" I wouldn't call him a fool to his face but I think he's a blithering idiot expecting his butler to bring around a syringe on a silver platter.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I went to the NHS website to book first thing on Tuesday  hearing that it was now accepting the next age group.... and booked an appointment for Monday about 15 miles away.... got a text later same day from GP surgery saying I could book there, so immediately booked that for tomorrow and cancelled the more distant one.... so in my case the Butler arrived very quickly, but I wasn’t going to rely on that happening!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    No sign of a butler here, I got whiff of the website from an ancient mariner and got in there several days before a letter arrived advising me of same. Reckon I am a fortnight or so ahead of the intended game as a result. Youngsters I know who have similarly tried getting in early have been rejected, it is obviously vetting by age group as it goes.
  • Lowrez, each of your messages above made me laugh aloud! I do hope this government haven't got it all wrong and making up for perhaps being the worst country in the world for handling the pandemic rightly or wrongly and now set out to to be the fastest to kill everyone off! Terry had his jab over a month ago so I imagine it could be a matter of days for him poor sod, although he is running with more effort the last two weeks the word parkrun was heard and had his wife buy him a new pair of trainers!
    Did anyone who did London Virtual apply for the Guinness Record? I had forgotten about it until last week, applied for it and my certificate arrived yesterday, beats any medal I have ever had, and has made me more determined to try for an individual record myself, am sure one of your costumes could win a prize Lowrez.
    Good luck to all getting their jab tomorrow, from what I have read the best one is one Dubai had - the Chinese version (apparently they were making it before the UK even went into LD1!)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Odds are Terry got Pfizer if it was a while ago so his arteries may be safe :)
    I too have justified new shoes as an incentive to get out more.
    Glad you enjoyed my banter, it is all aimed at daft humour, I don't think I could survive if I didn't laugh at many things. Thanks to Mr D for giving me the subject matter :D Do you need a second jab too in the Sanopharm version Mr D? When is that due for you? Weren't China chastised for profiteering out of selling their vaccine on to the detriment of availability for their own population. They say stats look good for that variant because they publish nothing of the millions of dead that resulted in making it safe.
    Did I view the London certificate thing correctly? They wanted £20 for it! I left the page a lot less excited than when I arrived :(
    I think there is an official world record for running dressed as a toilet, I don't know why that amuses me :D