Sprints for a 30 year old overweight man

Hi,

I need to lose some weight, about 4 1/2 stone to be precise! I’m a 30 year old male who used to play every sport I could, adult/work life then took over early 20s and I’ve barely exercised since, my weight spiralling with it! I’m now 17 1/2 stone at 6ft, so quite the chunk!

Ive never been a long distance runner, I can’t get motivated for them as I just get bored, I used to love sprinting though, unfortunately I currently get out of breath ’sprinting’ to the fridge!

Does anyone have any advice or workout plans I can follow to get back in the routine of sprinting? I think if I just go out and sprint I’ll either injure myself or worse!! I also need to do this fasted in the morning as I’ve got a little boy who demands my time as soon as he’s up!

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Answers

• Check out the C25K running app for your phone. It stands for Couch to 5K in 9 weeks. It worked for me. Good luck
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Can I ask is the goal to get back in to sprinting or is it to lose weight? 

If it's the former then it might be worthwhile seeing if there's a local athletics club that could help with training hints. Failing that I'm sure there are plans online. Most of the people on here are distance runners and although I was a more than decent sprinter at school I wouldn't know where to begin with regards to advice or workout plans.

If the goal is to lose weight I'm not sure sprinting is going to be the thing that does it. More weight loss would be achieved by steady cardio vascular activity rather than the 'burst' type that sprinting would provide. 

I'd also suggest it be wise to build up some level of fitness first before sprinting. Activation of the fast twitch muscle fibres required for sprinting may put them under stress where you may pull something.