AN UPDATE FROM RUNNER’S WORLD

From 15 June 2024, the Runner’s World forum will hang up its running shoes for the final time.

While we are saying goodbye to the forum, you can continue to enjoy Runner’s World through our various platforms, each offering a different way to stay connected:

Sign up to the RW newsletter: Read about the latest running trends, gear reviews, expert advice and inspirational stories, delivered straight to your inbox. 

Visit runnersworld.com/uk: With everything from long reads and training articles to plans and nutrition tips, the content you trust is just a click away. 

Become a subscriber: Get the print magazine for the best in-depth features, expert advice, stunning photography and exclusive content tailored for every level of runner.

Follow us on social media: Follow @RunnersWorldUK on X, Facebook and Instagram for your daily dose of advice, motivation and fun. Keep on running…

The Runner's World team

Options

Veteran runner lost his mojo

I'm 64, and have been running for nearly 40 years. I was never that good (10k PB of 37m, Half mara PB of 1h 21m) but in the last couple of years my running has fallen off a cliff. For example, only two years ago I was pacing the sub 20m group at parkrun - now I can hardly get under 23m for 5k. I ran a 10k the other day and was pleased to run under 8min miles. I know this is all relative and might seem fast to some, but it's relative to my experience ...

My main problem is that I find I have to stop about every quarter or half mile - not because I'm out of breath, nor because my legs hurt, but because I seem to have run out of energy. Then I start up again but soon I have to stop. In the 10k the other day I only stopped once (after about a mile) but on training runs I stop all the time (which makes my training partner a bit crazy!)

So, assuming I don't have an underlying health issue (I have been diagnosed in the past with B12 deficiency but recent blood tests suggest that's ok and I take supplements) how can I get my mojo back? It may just be a confidence issue, related to my having to accept that my athletic decline is inevitable and irreversible. But some kind of attitude readjustment might work ....

Thanks for reading.
Edward

Comments

• Options
    Edward
    have you had a test for hypothyroidism - your symptoms sound exactly like mine from a few years back and I eventually went to see my doctor when after a continual decline over several months I literally had to stop running within a 1/4 mile of my front door one morning. 

I am quite a bit older than you at 75 but gradual increases in doses of levothyroxine got my thyroid levels back to a point where I could function again howbeit not at the performance levels from before.
    My parkrun time went down from 22:20 at 70+ to 27:00 (although the AG didn't fare so badly!!) but at least I could run again.

Pop in to the Over 60's Training thread if you want a chat....... :)
  • Options
    Thanks Torque. I have an appointment on Thursday so I'll mention that.