Sunday 22nd August 2021 Money talks

Morning!

Lyrics: Money talks
But it don't sing and dance
And it don't walk

Yesterday's lyrics were "White Room" by Cream. 

What: easy run, longer stretch

Why: being careful

A stone a month is too fast, Joe! I'm trying for a pound a week!
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning All

What - A few miles run / walk and some random press ups/sit ups / weights
    Why - Plan

Sunday Weigh in 178.4lb

Was having a look at starting the thread but couldn't workout how , they changed the forum so much.
    Lyrics would have been - Say your prayers, little one, don't forget, my son

Your Lyrics - Nope
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hi Joe, I have a feeling that you have to have posted a few messages before you can start a thread these days, probably to try to stop spammers.

And no, I don't know your lyrics!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning
    Lyrics yes
    Joe's no
    Joe sounds like a good plan
    Alehouse have a good run and we'll dinner on the stretching!!
    What 8 miles on the road
    Why don't feel like doing so far solo in the forest
    Last hard last night's mile
    Last rest 24/7
    Really need a longer run buddy!! 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon(ish)

Well done on the weight loss so far Joe.  I think Ale is right about starting threads as a new poster.  Random core work sounds like a good idea on top of the running - I'm very lazy there.

Pound a week weight loss sounds sensible Ale.  

Great you were able to run again emzap - take it easy after those 5 weeks out.  

Nice family meet-up Wabo.  Don't know if I would like to run on too much prosecco.  Maybe ask around in your club for company on the long runs - I think you are a member of one?

Hope Els had a good race today.

What: few ploddy miles later
    Why: hard work done yesterday so no need for anything long / tough today
    Last hard: HM yesterday
    Last rest: 30.03.20

Lyrics: no

Race report for yesterday:

The Hagneck Canal HM takes place as a parallel event to the Round Lake Biel Ultra (50k). An out and back with one water station at the turnaround point. Nice route – minor roads and paths along the lakeside with 3 minor climbs (in total 150 metres according to the GPS). With it being a warm and sunny weekend the area was pretty busy at 9 am already – numerous cyclists and dog walkers in particular. This is a low key event – no chip timing but not necessary with a small field as straight over the start line. 40 in total took part in the 50k, 4 walkers took on 40k and 20 runners in the HM.

My aim was to run at my goal MP (4:44/km), a HM seemed a good way to deal with the 12 miles @ MP on the P&D plan I am currently following.

I got to the start a bit later than I had originally planned so did a 1.x mile warm-up checking out the first bit of the course. Brief instructions at the start – follow the yellow arrows on the ground and we were off. I put myself towards the front in the expectation that the HM runners would set off more quickly which was the case. I didn't however try to follow the leading pack of around 5-6 including the first HM lady as I already felt that the pace was too high for what I had planned so let them go. First km was 4.30 – HM PB pace but at least I hadn't started off at 10k PB pace. That was the start of what basically turned into a solo time trial with a number on my front. With it being an out and back route I met the front HM runners on their way back and on having turned myself met the rest of the field coming towards me. Many runners encouraging the others on – nice. I was otherwise caught by one man just before the drinks station who then proceeded to run away from me as I started to wilt on the second half.

Splits were a bit uneven on the out stretch and a bit fast – I would have been better off slowing down a bit to reserve something for the second half. I could also already feel the heat a bit too much. The hill at 2.5 miles was a bit of a drag. I was glad to get to the drinks stations at half way – for once I actually took time to take a few swallows as I knew there would be no more opportunities. Nonetheless I took on air as well as water resulting in an uncomfy glug-glug-glug stomach the whole way back. I struggled to keep the pace up as of two thirds distance already and started to give up mentally. The stretches in the sun were particularly hard work and I resorted to a short walk before the return hill in an attempt to get my pulse / breathing down a bit. From the hill onwards I struggled to find any sort of decent pace – I think it would have helped to have other runners around me but as it was I had to keep on alone and get back to the start/finish. Over the line in 1:42:27 as 2nd lady (1st: 1:33:30) and a bit disappointed the run had not gone better. I did a mara pace over 10 miles a few weeks ago and yesterday felt quite a bit tougher. Possibly a combination of the conditions, a bad night's sleep, accumulated mileage and a lack of PMA when it got tough. I have another HM at the beginning of September to repeat the exercice, I should then better know what to set for my MP.

I was pleased that there was an official prize giving ceremony and an opportunity to have a shower / get changed – something that has been missing on most events since Corona got going. I won a nice beer glass. Otherwise I lounged around a bit to recover in the shade and helped clap in the other HM participants. If I had hung around a bit longer I would have seen the first runner come in for the 50k – a new course record of 3:04. Very impressive considering the warm conditions.

5k Splits:

23:24
    23:13
    23:57
    25:39
    Last bit: 6:16

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great report, Hazel...and I suspect you learned quite a bit! 

Wabo, can you do a couple of miles and then meet up with one of your running mates and then perhaps even a couple of miles afterwards?
    And as Hazel says, there must be someone i

Just under half an hour run, which was more than I intended but legs felt fine after yesterday's parkrun. Just over 28 k for the week, so hopefully heading in the right direction.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Oops, I missed posting yesterday.

Well podiumed Hazel. 1:42 in the heat is good going. I tend to suffer in the heat too and if a race has so few participants it's rather hard to find motivation. Bit of a strange prize ... was the race sponsored by a brewery?
    No ultra plans at the moment although I'm still dreaming about South Africa.

Joe Hawk! That's a blast from the past. Nice to have you back 🤗 with increased mileage the weight will drop. I had a bunch of foot ops and haven't been running in over a year. Restarted running at the beginning of July but I had been walking loads before which helped to keep the weight in check. I'm back to regular 5 or 6 milers now, gradually building up. Not sure I have another marathon in me but never say never 😃

Els: that's a hobbit house 😉 nice pics. Sorry it was so cold at your parkrun.

Yay, emzap. You ran 🙏🏼

Nice family reunion, wabo.

Dustin: Good miles. But what Ale said: don't do too much too soon.

Ale: sorry to hear about your friend.
    Great parkrun time 👍🏻 I'd be happy to under 30 mins right now. I was tail walker yesterday but hopefully there will be enough volunteers next week so I can run.

A little over 5 miles run and 45.4k or 28.2 miles for the week off 5 runs with no foot trouble 🙏🏼

• Chick - you're making great progress! 
    Hazel - good right up and a great time, hard indeed in the heat and with little water.
    Joe - I can't seem to change my weight at all but would say that seems a lot to loose in a short time.
    Ale - hope you had a good one!
    Wabo - I'd run with you if closer and I don't often let folk down - except for work causing changes at times.

Well I feel embarrassed to post time after Hazel's efforts but hey at the slow end I give you 2.07.49 and that was hard work! After a cool day yesterday it was warm and sunny with the mist burning off by start time 11am. 36 folk in all - I think they waived the enter a week in advance thing to let a few folk in. Race is a big loop around Kirkwall outskirts taking in harbourfront and Scapa Bay so nice enough but v familiar territory! Basically set off at a steady but feeling hard pace and found myself last so had to put a bit more effort in but did gradually pick off about 5 folk who had gone out a bit fast. No official water stations this year - they usually have 3 or 4 but one lady had set up an unofficial one about 5.5m and had left a bottle with P marshalling at 4 and 11 miles so wasn't too bad but extremely hot for Orkney and found myself flagging in the last 2 miles but kept going with no falls to the end. Everyone seemed to have collapsed in a heap on the grass at the finish so was quite sociable and cheered in the last few folk. Certainly felt like a hard one but my PB is 20min faster. Ah well, that is how it is these days.
    Now for pre ultra tapering!
  • Nice running Hazel, for a pacing run I would start further back so as not to get sucked into racing.

If a stone a month is too much probably better not say I lost 7lb since Monday :o

44M run / walk, 500+ press ups, 1000+ sit ups and some weights.

Nice gentle start back :D
  • Oh my lyrics were Enter Sandman - Metallica (From the Black Album)
  • Finishing line for Elspeth
    I was marshalling and took a few photos (well just over 400)
    A warm day - I gave out some illicit water!
    Lyrics No
  • Yikes what a picture but at least no damaged face this time!!